Juicing VS eating Vegetables - THE REAL TRUTH!

Options

Replies

• luckyshilling
    luckyshilling Posts: 229
    Options
    Eat. Cuz I :heart: pooping. It's the :explode:
  • catherinehenry2
    Options
    I think there is room for both juicing and eating in everyone's diet.

For me, my goal is to consume 9 cups of fruits and veggies per day (3 c greens, 3 c Cruciferous, 3 c coloured) for a nutrient dense diet. i also eat proteins(meat, nuts, seeds, eggs) and healthy fats for a completely balanced diet. I don't eat grasses, grains or legumes.
    Most days I can consume the bulk of those 9 cups of fruits and veggies within my meals and snacks but many days I can't quite fit them all in so I juice the balance to make sure I get all the nutrients. I add some water-soluable fiber and nut-milk to the mixture to slow the absorption and keep the fruit content to a minimum in my juice.

While I would never recommend a juice-only diet, I am benefiting from the supplemental vitamins that juicing adds to my diet.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I think there is room for both juicing and eating in everyone's diet.

For me, my goal is to consume 9 cups of fruits and veggies per day (3 c greens, 3 c Cruciferous, 3 c coloured) for a nutrient dense diet. i also eat proteins(meat, nuts, seeds, eggs) and healthy fats for a completely balanced diet. I don't eat grasses, grains or legumes.
    Most days I can consume the bulk of those 9 cups of fruits and veggies within my meals and snacks but many days I can't quite fit them all in so I juice the balance to make sure I get all the nutrients. I add some water-soluable fiber and nut-milk to the mixture to slow the absorption and keep the fruit content to a minimum in my juice.

While I would never recommend a juice-only diet, I am benefiting from the supplemental vitamins that juicing adds to my diet.

i like you. :)
  • catherinehenry2
    Options
    I might add, I don't discard the fiber. I save it to be added to meatloaf, omelets, soups, stews and even muffins for the added fiber.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Juicing made me crazy. Crazier, I mean.

It's great for those who love it, and I watched the movie (Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead), but juicing made me feel so deprived and even sad when I saw all the fiber going into the trashcan. Yeah, I could have composted it, but I don't.

I felt stressed out, my area where my gallbladder used to be hurt all the time and I was exhausted.

It was fun making the juice. It's like a grown up playdoh pumper truck.

Anyone want to buy a Brevillier?
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    While juicing will let you take in more nutrients because you can consume more fruits/veggies than eating them you also lose a lot of good nutrients like fiber through the juicing process.

I do make my own juices with a blender. Blend up fruits/veggies and than I strain them to remove a large portion of the pulp. I never let the pulp go to waste though. I use veggie pulp to make crackers and save fruit and veggie pulp to mix into my garden soil. I also use the veggie pulp in sauces. I also used veggie pulp in meatloaf when I used to make that often. The one issue I have with juicing is all that pulp going to waste so I do find ways to use it so it's not just getting thrown out. During the winter I put the pulp that I don't use for crackers or sauces into a container in my freezer to save for spring time to mix into my garden soil.

I would never do a juice only diet though. Far too many things you can miss out on only consuming juice all day like the guy did in Fat, Sick and nearly dead.
  • catherinehenry2
    Options

It's great for those who love it, and I watched the movie (Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead), but juicing made me feel so deprived and even sad when I saw all the fiber going into the trashcan. Yeah, I could have composted it, but I don't.

I felt stressed out, my area where my gallbladder used to be hurt all the time and I was exhausted.

Were you eating a healthy diet along with the juicing?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Were you eating a healthy diet along with the juicing?

more than that... if juicing was stressing you out, there are other factors you may want to look at... like how you handle stress in your life. that's way more important than any food you put in your body.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    The protein (and more) follows the fiber. Eat the whole fruit/veggie.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    juicing removes the indigestible fiber that is present in vegetables. Much more of the nutrients are then absorbed by the body as compared to eating the whole vegetable.
    This is patently false. Full stop.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't juice because I'm too lazy to clean a juicer :)
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I don't juice because I'm too lazy to clean a a juicer :)

this is legit. i hate it.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    But the indigestible fiber helps me poop. And I like to poop.

Me too. I also like to chew.

I agree with both here. I can't imagine just drinking my food.
  • jbs2travel
    jbs2travel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I put my veggies in a blender - that way I get all the juice and the fiber! The best of both worlds. Also eat whole veggies, never juice.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The way I think about this is that I'm going to have more than enough mushed up and juiced crap in the future when I'm sitting in a wing-chair in nappies, muttering "You're not my son" and "I remember when all this was fields" so I can't really see the point in starting on the downhill slide early...
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I put my veggies in a blender - that way I get all the juice and the fiber! The best of both worlds. Also eat whole veggies, never juice.

ALL THIS, ALL THAT! Never do this! Always do that!

what about both? you can eat whole veggies AND juice.

shocking, I know.
  • seabuckaroo
    seabuckaroo Posts: 85
    Options
    ^This is the REAL TRUTH- I love science :)
  • seabuckaroo
    seabuckaroo Posts: 85
    Options

how reasonable of you! ;)