PSA: Any diet that prohibits certain foods is a bad diet.

Options

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    This thread is cracking me up.

Seriously, everyone KNEW what the OP was getting at, they CHOSE to start crap.

I'll just sit my pizza-eating, nothing-prohibited-in-moderation behind over here and watch the show.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    who are you to say what is and isn't a bad diet?

A person of reasonable intelligence.

So then, you are saying that many obesity researchers are not "of reasonable intelligence"??:noway:

If an "obesity researcher" says "you should never eat these particular foods" then yes, I'd say he's not of reasonable intelligence.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    This thread is cracking me up.

Seriously, everyone KNEW what the OP was getting at, they CHOSE to start crap.

I'll just sit my pizza-eating, nothing-prohibited-in-moderation behind over here and watch the show.

That's exactly true. I deliberately worded it in such a way that it was easily understandable, but open to deliberate misinterpretation ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's even mildly true, everyone focuses on calories and not on adequate nutrition. Bread isn't good for you, candy isn't good for you, red meats aren't that great for you. There are a lot of health benefits to cutting unhealthy foods.

Red meat is not good for you.

Because if you get in between me and red meat... :D

This thread

delivery.png
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

ah.

you eat mcdonalds and other fast food every single day, you've been trying to lose 20 pounds for over 2 years, and you seem to believe you somehow have the authority to determine what is and isn't healthy for everyone on MFP?

I'd also like to point out that the majority of folks who are jumping in to agree with you are significantly far from reaching their goals.

just. saying.

This is awfully close to body shaming. I don't think this is appropriate.

something about horseshoes and hand grenades...

i get called orthorexic, scrawny, little, skinny, etc all the time. such is life on MFP
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    That is all.

th_themoreyouknowshootingstar_zps9ddf9000.gif

tumblr_lk2h5f2ShY1qj5mhao1_500.jpg
  • jonnythan
    Options

ah.

you eat mcdonalds and other fast food every single day, you've been trying to lose 20 pounds for over 2 years, and you seem to believe you somehow have the authority to determine what is and isn't healthy for everyone on MFP?

I'd also like to point out that the majority of folks who are jumping in to agree with you are significantly far from reaching their goals.

just. saying.

That would imply any of it is true, or I am ashamed of my body :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options

ah.

just. saying.

something about horseshoes and hand grenades...

i get called orthorexic, scrawny, little, skinny, etc all the time. such is life on MFP

Not by me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

ah.

just. saying.

But oh so common here, why is that? What is it about hungry people that make them so mean and willing to wield shame and guilt as a weapon against others?
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some people need to check their thin privilege.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

ah.

just. saying.

But oh so common here, why is that? What is it about hungry people that make them so mean and willing to wield shame and guilt as a weapon against others?
    you saying I'm hungry? i eat like... 3-4,000 cal a day. :tongue:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My diet prohibits cottage cheese.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Did anybody other than me follow the link to the article with scientific diet research results? I recommend it.

Reposting:

http://news.menshealth.com/cult-like-food-fads/2012/07/25/
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Limiting yourself is also denying yourself something you want, it's denying you of more of that stuff. That's what a diet is, limiting things you eat, to what's best for you.

If you say "EAT EVERYTHING YOU WANT! in moderation" that's the exact as saying, eat in moderation, so not everything you want.

:drinker: :drinker: YES!!! Moderation is just another form of a restrictive diet plan, just like paleo/atkins/lowcarb/primal etc are diet plans. With moderation, your limiting what you want by having less of it. It works for some individuals, and that's great, but low carb high fat works for some others like me too, which is great as well. :flowerforyou:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I love it when weak people try to preach about being healthy.

Also I've seen the industry that Reddy works in, I train there in fact since I work in the financial district:
    Barbell squats on a stability while shouting out "Proprioceptive Training" in a voice that's a cross between Ronnie Coleman and Fran Drescher is srs bzns.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

moreover, why should people eat foods that make them ill?

seems to me there are plenty of reasons for people not to eat certain foods.

I knew you would make an appearance lol
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Jonny & Reddy, your steadfast dedication to continuing to argue the same point day in and day out is commendable. This never gets old.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I dunno if I agree fully with OP. Some diets restrict foods for reasons such as to lower cholesterol or to steer clear of chemically enhanced foods. Most people that jump on the health band wagon generally want to be healthy and lose weight so they may live and lead healthier lives.

I generally eat what I like(minus processed foods) with the exception of one time I had a woman friend trick me into eating rocky mountain oysters.. I was using the restroom washing my hands when she ordered them. I thought they were breaded chicken nuggets and they were pretty darn good in the sauce only to have my waitress look at my woman friend and they asked me if I like them, I said yes and they both started laughing. I knew some thing was up when every one laughed when I said they were good. Then I took a long look and studied them and suddenly I realized the nuggets were flat and I so asked what they were. Woman says they were bull balls aka rocky mountain oysters. At first I was grossed out but I was past the point of no return. Then suddenly 2 weeks later l became BIG AND STRONG LIKE BULL and have remained that way ever since!! :tongue:

220px-Rocky_mountain_oysters.jpg

=

possess_bull_strength_1.png
    :laugh:
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree if by "diet" you mean to lose weight. Eliminating or prohibiting any food groups because you will lose weight faster is wrong. A calorie deficit is how to achieve weight loss. However, there are lots of health reasons people have to eliminate foods other then the obvious medical conditions like allergies or intolerances. The health reason to eliminate a food maybe as simple as they feel better without it. For example: I feel better with little to no wheat because wheat makes me bloated. I do not have a medical condition to eliminate it and I do not do it for weight loss.

You can not dictate peoples personal choice to eat or not to eat whatever they want in their "diet" as described below.

From dictionary.com

di·et
    /ˈdī-it/Noun
    1.The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    2.A legislative assembly in certain countries.

^^^ THIS^^^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself :flowerforyou:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

moreover, why should people eat foods that make them ill?

seems to me there are plenty of reasons for people not to eat certain foods.

I knew you would make an appearance lol

well that was kind of the point. want a medal? haha
This discussion has been closed.