• aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1OQX8ocLAToX98pztfDAU5X1DoCBJ-mV1y9kp_xB9kf3pkoNz

i wonder what his bf% is?
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat right after you lift, your muscle will atrophy.

You must eat breakfast or your muscles will use themselves for fuel

If you don't eat 6 meals a day, your muscles will shrink and use themselves for fuel
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    What's funny is the majority of the people on here sending out "myths" are actually sending out half-truths that should be explained further, have their physiology explained. The other remaining few are trolling out anti-advice....but everyone is upset over crunches!? Seriously folks, THIS is why you're over weight. Books, hard work and dedication is what works. Not griping on a forum over how "correct" you are. GAL

Most of the myths I stated are typically stated as if they are universal and apply to everyone and either don't apply to my body or my thought process sees the statement as not making sense. For example, most people do need to lift weights to maintain lean mass, I do not and have 3 body density results to back it up. Likewise, saying sugars and protein are good for everyone post workout ignores the person with diabetes and kidney disease.

I could have mentioned "only eat cabbage soup for a year and you'll be fit and healthy" but thought I'd come from the opposite direction than what works for no-one (or only for a select few).
  • MAYONNAISESANDWICH
    Options
  • MAYONNAISESANDWICH
    Options

If you don't eat 6 meals a day, your muscles will shrink and use themselves for fuel
    All of this is true to a certain degree which depends on the amount of physical strain placed on your body. Nice arms, your biceps are HUGE BTW....So that HAS to be a myth, right?
  • libbybond
    libbybond Posts: 36
    Options
    Opposum Soup
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    Opposum Soup

next theyll be telling me that you dont pronounce the "O" in Opossum....pft
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options

All of this is true to a certain degree which depends on the amount of physical strain placed on your body. Nice arms, your biceps are HUGE BTW....So that HAS to be a myth, right?

this is true. these 3 things are facts based on science
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    Science wins over opinion any day
  • veganstein
    veganstein Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    "Diet soda is bad for you. Causes cancer and you will have 3-headed babies."

I swear, anyone touches my Diet Pepsi and there will be bloodshed.
  • MAYONNAISESANDWICH
    Options
    "Diet soda is bad for you. Causes cancer and you will have 3-headed babies."

I swear, anyone touches my Diet Pepsi and there will be bloodshed.
    Bro, do you even Vegan?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    To "cut" you need to do low weight with high reps. This definitely will burn the fat off of you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    of course you cant eat a cake then do one crunch and expect your stomach to be flat

Personally, I like to take a bite of cake between each crunch/sit up. It keeps me motivated. :laugh:

I know people who had gotten staples put in the little curled part in your ear. Supposedly that helps control your appetite so you lose weight. I'm not talking uneducated people either, these are nurses and nurse practitioners that were having this done!

My mom actually had this done and she is a member of Mensa!! Weird thing about it is, where she went they offered a staple to help control your appetite and one to quit smoking, her appetite didn't change but from that day on she never smoked another cigarette. lol
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

I wonder what humanity did before Gatorade..... I'm suprised we made it this far on just food and water.....

Some of the solutions were/ are pretty nasty. A lot of people still end up hospitalized for dehydration, then get a saline solution pumped in.

No, everyone does not need to replace their electrolytes after every workout, but some of us do any time we have an active outdoor day above 85 degrees. I would rather have healthy people guzzle Gatorade than risk the alternative.
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Gatorade will "replenish electrolytes" after hard workouts. Says the Gatorade marketing department. All those tailored pre- and post-workout grocery items are totally unnecessary, expensive, and wasteful (in terms of packaging). Need quick energy? Eat peanut butter, honey, and fruit. Need hydration? Try water. Sheesh.

I ran 25 miles yesterday. I needed the electrolytes to put the fluid into my muscles and organs for replenishing my body. Water would just slosh around in my stomach and possibly cause dilutional hyponatremia. (If i drink too much-but thats rare) I cant eat peanut butter or fruit during a run so Gatorade is great for that l. And actually during very hot weather it is essential and water not as effective.
    But i get your point water and the real thing is good! - You can make your own electrolyte solution but its yukky!!

You, my dear, are likely the exception to the rule (and an impressive athlete!). It's a good clarification: distance runners and other athletes on that level certainly require different nutrition management tools. But on a daily basis, even with a "hard" workout at the gym, like an hour-long body pump class, most of us get what we need from the foods and water we consume. We don't need targeted nutrients like electrolytes.

The vast majority of us don't need anything that specialized, or expensive, to work out and rebuild in a healthy manner. Right?
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    The bad thing is that most of these myths are designed to sell us on whatever "plan" they have devised.

I am tired of being sold. :mad:
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options

I am just saying I IF and have found more muscle definition but maybe due to the lowering of fat, feel better, and have more energy than ever. I only eat from 3pm-8pm everyday and I workout at 4:30am.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Bananas make you fat!
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Gatorade will "replenish electrolytes" after hard workouts. Says the Gatorade marketing department. All those tailored pre- and post-workout grocery items are totally unnecessary, expensive, and wasteful (in terms of packaging). Need quick energy? Eat peanut butter, honey, and fruit. Need hydration? Try water. Sheesh.

I ran 25 miles yesterday. I needed the electrolytes to put the fluid into my muscles and organs for replenishing my body. Water would just slosh around in my stomach and possibly cause dilutional hyponatremia. (If i drink too much-but thats rare) I cant eat peanut butter or fruit during a run so Gatorade is great for that l. And actually during very hot weather it is essential and water not as effective.
    But i get your point water and the real thing is good! - You can make your own electrolyte solution but its yukky!!

You, my dear, are likely the exception to the rule (and an impressive athlete!). It's a good clarification: distance runners and other athletes on that level certainly require different nutrition management tools. But on a daily basis, even with a "hard" workout at the gym, like an hour-long body pump class, most of us get what we need from the foods and water we consume. We don't need targeted nutrients like electrolytes.

The vast majority of us don't need anything that specialized, or expensive, to work out and rebuild in a healthy manner. Right?

1 hour (ish) is usually the threshold for me. Once I get to 1.5 hours, I think about something a little salty before or after and probably a banana (sodium and potassium). Once I get over 2 hours, I do a sports drink or gel in the middle (I can't really eat). I have gotten hyponatremic myself, and it was from too much water, not enough electrolytes. Can you get enough from food, yes, if you are a distance runner/triathlete and have an iron tummy, food is a great way to do this. However, many of us find Gatorade or similar helpful. For those who "must" have it every 10 min during a 40 min run though, yes, it's silly.
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Potatos are vegetables so french fries are ok.

The average woman eats 1200 calories a day.