HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• seeherblog
    Options
    I'm sure this has been answered a million times but how do you start lifting? My gym has all these strength training classes that incorporate weights but is this not enough? Should I do the classes along with solely heavy lifting or just heavy lifting? I'm 27 (3 kids) and weigh 144 lbs and I'm 5'4. I have 33.4% body fat and I really really want to decrease this to about 25% in the next few months. I just started working out about 4 weeks ago and have never in my life felt so committed! In the four week I have only lost 1 percent of body fat and gained 1 lb of muscle and I weigh exactly the same. :( Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated. You guys are all doing amazing. Great job! Your stories are inspiring and I can't wait to have one to share! :)
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Bump for bulk
  • perfectlytrained
    perfectlytrained Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm in month 7 now, but here are my 6 month photo updates...

Looking good! It is great to be able to look at photos side by side and see how much progress we really are making. How much scale progress have you made in the last 6 months?

I lost about 30 pounds of pure fat in the first 4.5 months... scale has been bouncing around for the last 2 months, and I'm bound and determined that the downward trend will recommence this month.
  • perfectlytrained
    perfectlytrained Posts: 83 Member
    Options

You are a bombshell!

merci! :blushing:
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options

Looking good! It is great to be able to look at photos side by side and see how much progress we really are making. How much scale progress have you made in the last 6 months?

I lost about 30 pounds of pure fat in the first 4.5 months... scale has been bouncing around for the last 2 months, and I'm bound and determined that the downward trend will recommence this month.

Yeah I am at the same 5lbs but the tape keeps getting smaller so I am trying to just use that as motivation. I really want to drop 7.5lb more though and I will be happy with the scale.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I love this fourm! Bump!
  • carlyjaner
    carlyjaner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump! Amazing results :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I thought she was back!

:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    These threads are awesome and you all look amazing.

I do not want to quote the post where PCOS was mentioned because I don't want more nonsense on here in response, but in case other women with PCOS are reading through here and trying to decide if they should lift or not, I don't want them to be misinformed. I am new to doing heavy lifting alone in a heavy lifting program, but I was lifting in a class a couple years ago and had gotten down to 153 lbs and was in a size 4. Yeah, at 5'2", size 4, still weighing over 150. I even had people argue with me because they thought I was lying about my weight because I could not be so small and weigh that much. I don't recall all my numbers from then, but I do know that my max squat was around 130. Also, Jillian Michaels has PCOS and she lifts weights, yep, she's just all kinds of bulky. Actually, lifting has been the one thing that I have found that makes fat loss with PCOS easier. When I did only cardio or used only the Barbie weights it was slow and next to impossible.
  • mllev87
    mllev87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's my first time posting a picture here, so I don't know if this works:

plaumlski1_zps9bcf473f.jpg

Some months of heavy lifting but where is my SUPAH Bulk :ohwell:
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options

(before photo shows me *almost* at my heaviest)
    fca96a54-9b24-4152-8514-8777792f0289_zps9fb442c2.jpg

(first photo shows me 2 weeks before i first started weight training)
    2b2ab2dc-47c6-4e65-9e8d-1727057ec5bf_zpsbec07315.jpg

(post 30-day Squat Challenge plus 30-day Bret Contreras Glute Challenge)
    c1642629-3389-4368-b3cb-89afd5b6c6f8_zps559f8930.jpg

(current side view)
    0fc6c7bf-c224-4b51-9e52-d8f3f139e308_zps0dfbb70e.jpg

Look at that itty bity waist of yours! Gorgeous! Such an amazing job!!!
  • FabulousKP
    FabulousKP Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump!! Love this..
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yep, lifting is making me bulky
    ictrht.jpg
    24fa7i0.jpg
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    In because I need the inspiration! I wanna be bulky, too!!!!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Today is 150 days since I've picked up lifting again.. I'm not sure where the bulk is. I look much tinier now

df551b7f-fc19-482c-9721-ad02c2dd0ddb_zps72e73dc2.jpg
    1827826b-39ba-456c-ba9b-65ecfc14edd6_zps420d370f.jpg
  • larsivy
    larsivy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you look great. what size are you wearing now if you Don.t mind me asking? thanks.
  • shortstuff31117
    shortstuff31117 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I can't get the photo off of my phone (sorry i am tech challenged)...After nearly 4 weeks of lifting, my weight really hasn't changed much, but the difference is noticeable! My size 12 skirt (non stretchy) was supremely tight, and I had to safety pin the top to get it to close. I'm wearing it today and not only can I zip it without sucking it in, but it's loose enough to spin around me as I walk!!!

(Thank you, all you lovely ladies who lift, for the inspiration...I never would've done it without seeing you all rock the free weights!)
  • fav14
    fav14 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've just started Stronglifts thanks to all the amazing ladies on this thread. Cant wait to post my own successes. Thanks everyone for the inspiration :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!