HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    How have I not noticed this thread until now?!? You ladies all look so amazing! Aside from just general shrinking everywhere, so many of you look like you've had a but lift and whittled waist. Seriously, why does plastic surgery exist, when you can get results like this? :P
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy just completely wrecked my body. Don't do it girls...
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Love! :flowerforyou: :heart: :love:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options

WHOA. Bro, bro, this thread is for chicks!

Too much bulkaaayyyy.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    In...just started lifting. Can't wait to read through this thread!
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress! I'm still in the lanky "before" category! I can't wait to get all "bulky" too! LOL.
  • surfergirljane
    surfergirljane Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So excited to see all of your results. I took some before pictures of the skinny me this morning and will post them with any gains in 4-8 weeks. This week I'm going to start lifting 3x per week no excuses and trying to stick to my 1900 calories a day & lots of protein plan. So inspired by each and every one of you!
  • My_Fitness_Journey2020
    My_Fitness_Journey2020 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wow, you ladies are awesome :) An inspiration! I really really want to start lifting now. I originally had lost 45-50 lbs with cardio very little strength training at all, and over the last few months because of some personal issues I stopped exercising and averaged around one meal a day...needless to say I gained 30 of the 50 back a lot faster then I imagined. I started my fitness journey again this month, eating healthier and more often and have already managed to drop 7 lbs in the last two weeks, but I have around 65 pounds to lose. Do you think that this is something that would benefit me now with so much to lose, or do I need to wait until I get closer to my goal weight to lift? I have zero upper body strength and it's something I have always wanted to work on and this thread has really motivated me to do so. Again, you ladies are amazing :)
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    . Do you think that this is something that would benefit me now with so much to lose, or do I need to wait until I get closer to my goal weight to lift? I have zero upper body strength and it's something I have always wanted to work on and this thread has really motivated me to do so. Again, you ladies are amazing :)

I've seen this question before and the answers posted are always a resounding yes, start lifting yesterday. I've also seen posts where people who lost weight then started lifting regret that they've not begun lifting much earlier. The idea is that the sooner you begin, the more muscle mass you can preserve. Otherwise our bodies want to burn some muscle along with the fat we are trying to lose. Lifting minimizes that loss and then you don't need to gain that muscle back later.

That line of reasoning inspired me to start lifting heavy a few weeks ago even though I'm still overweight and need to lose more pounds. I hope that someday I'll be able to add my own pics to the supah bulky threads. :)
  • My_Fitness_Journey2020
    My_Fitness_Journey2020 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    . Do you think that this is something that would benefit me now with so much to lose, or do I need to wait until I get closer to my goal weight to lift? I have zero upper body strength and it's something I have always wanted to work on and this thread has really motivated me to do so. Again, you ladies are amazing :)

I've seen this question before and the answers posted are always a resounding yes, start lifting yesterday. I've also seen posts where people who lost weight then started lifting regret that they've not begun lifting much earlier. The idea is that the sooner you begin, the more muscle mass you can preserve. Otherwise our bodies want to burn some muscle along with the fat we are trying to lose. Lifting minimizes that loss and then you don't need to gain that muscle back later.

That line of reasoning inspired me to start lifting heavy a few weeks ago even though I'm still overweight and need to lose more pounds. I hope that someday I'll be able to add my own pics to the supah bulky threads. :)

Thank you :) I guess that would make sense! Looks like I am going to be looking up some programs, I seen a couple listed throughout the thread and hopefully in the future I'll be able to post some awesome results too! :)
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options

WHOA. Bro, bro, this thread is for chicks!

Too much bulkaaayyyy.

Muahah!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • HazeyBlue69
    HazeyBlue69 Posts: 22
    Options
    Im in
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Can't wait until I'm as bulky as you ladies!
  • cask16
    cask16 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    [img]http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/xodinahox/Mobile Uploads/da0c03a0-b90e-48c7-96a9-25c4808dd20c.jpg[/img]

lifting heavy : beginning - 3 months - 5 months .... It's going to take a bit more before the clothes start coming off, lol

eta : fixed photo..
    Look at your tiny waist! You have a beautiful figure!!
    Wow agreed! You're a gorgeous shaped lady!

thank you! =D
  • JaclynDawn
    JaclynDawn Posts: 84
    Options
    What can I do if I want to begin strength training/heavy lifting but can't afford a gym membership or weights? Sorry if this question was asked already, but I don't have the time atm to read page by page.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    What can I do if I want to begin strength training/heavy lifting but can't afford a gym membership or weights? Sorry if this question was asked already, but I don't have the time atm to read page by page.

If you're just getting started, you can go a long way with just doing body weight exercises. When I first wanted to get into strength training, I would have failed if I just went to a gym and tried to squat the bar (45 lbs). I did a lot of squats at home and then started incorporating some hand weights (10 lbs each). If you don't want to get hand weights, get creative with what you already own. A gallon of water with a good handle weights about 8.3 lbs. Do one in each hand. That should get you through the first few months as you build up your core and learn form.

Edited to add a word.
  • JaclynDawn
    JaclynDawn Posts: 84
    Options

If you're just getting started, you can go a long way with just doing body weight exercises. When I first wanted to get into strength training, I would have failed if I just went to a gym and tried to squat the bar (45 lbs). I did a lot of squats at home and then started incorporating some hand weights (10 lbs each). If you don't want to get hand weights, get creative with what you already own. A gallon of water with a good handle weights about 8.3 lbs. Do one in each hand. That should get you through the first few months as you build up your core and learn form.

Edited to add a word.

Oh, beautiful! I wasn't sure if that would be sufficient or not for the results I'm aiming toward. Thanks so much. <3
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options

Edited to add a word.

100% agreed. In the past few weeks, I've transitioned from bodyweight exercises at home to weighted lifting at the gym. I'm so glad I spent a month doing bodyweight exercises first! I'm not in danger of failing on the lifts now, but for some moves, using just the bar is pushing my limits and leaves me a little bit sore. That bar is heavy! For some of you (not me...) it could be ~1/3 of your weight.

The one thing I would add is to look into getting a pull-up bar for your doorway. They are pretty cheap (I think mine was $30ish.) And will allow you to do pulling exercises at home. I can't do a pull-up, but you can also use them for inverted rows, made more or less challenging by how far up you put the bar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QKQA1drJbk
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!