HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue you look great! So do you arditarose, I think those 10 pounds look extremely well on you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Hey guys! I've posted before but I thought I'd post a current progress pic.

So the top left was when I started losing weight and lifting in a deficit, probably around 160-165 lbs at 5'4"
    The bottom left is at my thinnest, probably around 128 lbs. I cut as far as I could so I could bulk.
    Now I have GAINED weight, purposely to put on some muscle. The right is me now at 136-140 (I retain a crap ton of water, I'm most likely 137 lbs). Even with the weight gain, still not bulky and I DEFINITELY wasn't bulky after lifting and cutting to 128.

Bulking has been interesting. I'm obviously carrying a bit more fat but I'm also stronger and actually gaining muscle. I'll start cutting again in April and see what kind of gains I've made!

Happy lifting!

civrzgv1bg9b.jpg

Well damn. 10 pounds of bulking looks pretty freaking awesome on you, you look great!

Thanks! Somedays the extra fluff is hard but I know it'll pay off after the cut
  • RolemodelmomT
    RolemodelmomT Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am currently using a weight lifting program with a PT and it is going great. I have a good 100lbs to lose and although the inches are coming off, the scale is not moving. It is a daily struggle to change my way of thinking, but I was wondering if you have any advice for me or are in a similar situation? Thanks in advance :wink:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Help. Super/
  • bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a couple questions, please :)

When you all started off, did you get aid at all? Did you ask anyone at the gym to help you? Did most of you get a trainer? I know that strong lifts and similar apps will tell you what to do, but the whole thought of heavy lifting really scares me. Especially when I hear the terms like "emergency" and "how to fail." Plus, I don't even know how you lock those weights on the bar lol! I mean I am totally clueless, so should I have assistance at first?

I have a sensitive back too. I slipped and fell at a restaurant years ago and while I'm fine, if I lift something too heavy for my my back can get this slight tingly feeling down my back and will get all sore and hurt for a day or so. I can lift my 5s just fine :P But should I be worried about seriously hurting myself? I'm be terrified walking into a gym and heading to these racks and weights I never thought I'd touch.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options

When you all started off, did you get aid at all? Did you ask anyone at the gym to help you? Did most of you get a trainer? I know that strong lifts and similar apps will tell you what to do, but the whole thought of heavy lifting really scares me. Especially when I hear the terms like "emergency" and "how to fail." Plus, I don't even know how you lock those weights on the bar lol! I mean I am totally clueless, so should I have assistance at first?

I have a sensitive back too. I slipped and fell at a restaurant years ago and while I'm fine, if I lift something too heavy for my my back can get this slight tingly feeling down my back and will get all sore and hurt for a day or so. I can lift my 5s just fine :P But should I be worried about seriously hurting myself? I'm be terrified walking into a gym and heading to these racks and weights I never thought I'd touch.

I personally started my own home gym and watch the videos on correct form. However, I am a licensed coach and have had classes on weight training. Not the heavy lifting though. Just what the weights do to your muscles and how correct form is very important. I would suggest that you talk to your doctor if you have problems with your back just to see what they would suggest. They may have you have a PT help you. Aside from that it sounds like you might benefit by having a trainer show you how to do each of the lifts correctly. Usually if you join a gym they have a free session with a trainer. Good luck to you!
  • bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Oh I didn't know that! I hope mine will when I can finally join. Thanks so much again fanncy :)
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Oh I didn't know that! I hope mine will when I can finally join. Thanks so much again fanncy :)

<3
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options

I did 3 sessions with a trainer, which was great for getting started. (I, too, didn't know how the plates went on the bar.) Before that I read a lot and watched videos, but every time I got to the gym I chickened out. But if you have back problems you should definitely get some expert advice.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options

I did. It was more to get comfy in that section of the gym, the intimidation factor was big for me. I'd done weight lifting with a trainer in my subdivision's gym a few years ago, but wanted to start up again and this gym is bigger and not just for the neighbors. I did nine sessions over a few months, she helped me with form, and to set up what kind of schedule is appropriate for me. Following her into that side of the gym also helped me be comfortable faster, than if I had gone solo in the beginning. That alone was worth it. Start where you can and don't worry about doing heavy weights until you're physically ready. It's definitely worth doing. Although I was going to go tomorrow, I lifted today because of the threat of a snowstorm. Good thing, they just closed the gym for tomorrow.
  • jpore
    jpore Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How many calories are you ladies eating? I'm 5'6" and I am eating around 2200 calories a day. I want to get leaner and it is so tempting to cut calories. But maybe I should be eating more and hitting the gym harder. Any suggestions? I'm currently doing full body lifting three days a week, each with a HIIT session, and two cardio days.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jpore wrote: »
    How many calories are you ladies eating? I'm 5'6" and I am eating around 2200 calories a day. I want to get leaner and it is so tempting to cut calories. But maybe I should be eating more and hitting the gym harder. Any suggestions? I'm currently doing full body lifting three days a week, each with a HIIT session with two cardio days.

I eat 2000 calories and I GAIN on that...sigh.

If you want to get leaner, cut! You'll lose on what I gain with lol.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    How many calories are you ladies eating? I'm 5'6" and I am eating around 2200 calories a day. I want to get leaner and it is so tempting to cut calories. But maybe I should be eating more and hitting the gym harder. Any suggestions? I'm currently doing full body lifting three days a week, each with a HIIT session, and two cardio days.

I want to lose too. I eat between 1400 and 1700 calories 6 days a week, 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% carbs mainly complex with low sugar fruit. I have 1 day off a week where I eat and drink whatever I want without going too crazy. I follow the Become a Fat Burning Machine diet and Dr Oz's day off diet and I do the 8 hour fast with the 8 hour window of time to eat. I eat between noon and 8:00 pm because I like a nighttime snack.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

I want to lose too. I eat between 1400 and 1700 calories 6 days a week, 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% carbs mainly complex with low sugar fruit. I have 1 day off a week where I eat and drink whatever I want without going too crazy. I follow the Become a Fat Burning Machine diet and Dr Oz's day off diet and I do the 8 hour fast with the 8 hour window of time to eat. I eat between noon and 8:00 pm because I like a nighttime snack.

Wow Dr Oz eh....he is one of the biggest quacks out there. Not sure I would follow anything he has to say let alone how to lose weight esp considering he was pulled in front of a congressional hearing for promoting unsafe weight loss techniques and for promoting scams.

I am 5 ft 7 and depending on the season I eat between 1800-2400 a day to lose.

Winter without doing much cardio but lifting 4x a week it's 1800 summer with cardio still lifting 4x a week 2400.

To lose

Maintenance anywhere between 2k and 2600.
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2016
    Options
    <3
  • chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yep...it's made me so bulky my sleep pants fell off me this morning when I got out of bed...and now my jeans are so loose the wind's flapping them against my thighs :lol:

Love the lifting! Have had to scale back a bit on the "heavy" because my knee's aggravated, but still doing stuff so I'm treating it like just a "temporary change" so my body doesn't get used to the same exercises/reps. Improvement because I used to just stay home and mope when I was hurting.

Keep lifting ladies!!!!!
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I'm 5f7 and I average about 2500 to maintain, so I aim for something between 2000-2200 to cut. I really don't like being hungry and I'm close enough to goal weight that there's no point in trying to lose more than 0.5 lbs a week.

I'm no professional, but considering you already work out 5 days a week, I think cutting calories a bit will be easier than trying to ramp up the workouts further... especially since workout out tends to make people hungry :tongue:
  • jpore
    jpore Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice ladies!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!