HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    katedevall wrote: »
    LOL! No 8 pounds is correct. I lost a lot of my body fat, gained a lot of muscle. :smile:

60 days???!?!?! woooowza

Just gonna caution anyone about thinking they are "gaining" muscle...that takes a lot of hard dedicated work...

What typically happens for us (those who are not bulking) is that the fat is leaving and the muscle underneath is showing...

Gaining muscle requires not only lifting using a progressive load lifting program but to eat in a surplus..and most of us are trying to lose so we eat in a deficit.

There are times when muscle can be gained without bulking...those are as follows:

Obese and new to lifting
    Young and full of testosterone
    New to lifting (these are small gains usually measured in oz not lbs) and these are short lived
    Recomp...where you are eating at maintenance and do a progressive load lifting program but again these gains are not measured in lbs of muscle gained but oz and it takes dedication and a lot of time.

Regardless good work ladies I see lots of new posts.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Arditarose - You look amazing! Great transformation!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Arditarose - You look amazing! Great transformation!

Thank you!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @sumiblue - holy *kitten*! I have the most ridiculous question, I'm sure. So I downloaded stronglifts 5x5 before Christmas and I am a member of a gym where I'm typically the only person in there.

How do I remember which lifts I'm supposed to be doing on what schedule? Did you all bring a piece of paper with you in the very beginning? Certain lifts I may not recall - I can imagine myself sitting on youtube trying to copy someone's form!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    @sumiblue - holy *kitten*! I have the most ridiculous question, I'm sure. So I downloaded stronglifts 5x5 before Christmas and I am a member of a gym where I'm typically the only person in there.

How do I remember which lifts I'm supposed to be doing on what schedule? Did you all bring a piece of paper with you in the very beginning? Certain lifts I may not recall - I can imagine myself sitting on youtube trying to copy someone's form!

I used paper. There are also several apps I believe.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

The Stronglifts 5x5 app i have tracks the workouts and weights. Every time you open it to start a new workout it should automatically show you the next workout. You can change it manually, too. It's a super simple app. Must be if I can use it!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Overhead and dead rhymes
    Bench and row, think of a bench on a rowboat
    Always squat first

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Overhead and dead rhymes
    Bench and row, think of a bench on a rowboat
    Always squat first

Ha, that's awesome.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    it changed your hair too
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

The app does it for you.
  • Jilliankosto
    Jilliankosto Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Before: 2012. I'm 46 yrs old & 5'2". I probably weighed 140+/x6jpb7mn51uu.png
    -Did nothing for a couple of years and started Stronglifts 5x5 in October 2014. I was in the 130s when I started. I wasn't very good at keeping my deficit so was 137 lbs January 1, 2015. In the last year I've lost lbs & inches, pants sizes and I'm 118.8 lbs today. Kept up with heavy lifting & started PHUL recently (split program).
    rm6xxjvmu3tz.jpeg

You look amazing! Can I ask what your daily cal limit was when you dropped from 137 to 118? Also how often do you lift? Also do you do other things for example like crunches? Wondering because I lift too but my abs seem to not be showing hardly. I have been lifting heavy for about 6 months. Thanks!
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    You guys are amazing. I didn't even realize there is an app, and I'll try to brush up on my technique/memorization so I can follow it!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises work the muscles but until you lose the layer of fat covering them you won't see them. My calorie goal was 1200+exercise calories when I was cutting. I had trouble sticking to my deficit so started a 16:8 fast (I don't really get hungry for breakfast) and that made it so much easier to stay at/under goal. I'm in maintenance now and my goal is 1440+ exercise calories. I use a Fitbit Flex to show me a better idea of my daily burn. Hope that all makes sense.
    I lift 4x a week with PHUL & do cardio once a week.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    You guys are amazing. I didn't even realize there is an app, and I'll try to brush up on my technique/memorization so I can follow it!

You can download it from Stronglifts.com.
  • Queenmunchy
    edited January 2016
    Options

Done! Thanks again...And it has videos? This is exactly what I needed.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Done! Thanks again...And it has videos? This is exactly what I needed.

Yep. It's basically idiot-proof (not saying you're an idiot...)
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Hey guys! I've posted before but I thought I'd post a current progress pic.

So the top left was when I started losing weight and lifting in a deficit, probably around 160-165 lbs at 5'4"
    The bottom left is at my thinnest, probably around 128 lbs. I cut as far as I could so I could bulk.
    Now I have GAINED weight, purposely to put on some muscle. The right is me now at 136-140 (I retain a crap ton of water, I'm most likely 137 lbs). Even with the weight gain, still not bulky and I DEFINITELY wasn't bulky after lifting and cutting to 128.

Bulking has been interesting. I'm obviously carrying a bit more fat but I'm also stronger and actually gaining muscle. I'll start cutting again in April and see what kind of gains I've made!

Happy lifting!

civrzgv1bg9b.jpg

Well damn. 10 pounds of bulking looks pretty freaking awesome on you, you look great!
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Who wants to be a skinny fat instead ?
    I choose your bulky !
    You look stunning !
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!