HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for posting your amazing results! I'm curious... how heavy do you ladies usually lift?

I began Stronglifts in Feb of this year and started with the 45 lb barbell for everything except dead lifts, which was 95 lbs. No lie, it was tough those first weeks! You make strength gains pretty quickly, though, and your lower body will surprise you! I go 2x a week.

I'm working with a de-load due to some back/arm issues, so my working weights are lower. My highest working weights are as follows.
    Squat 150 lbs
    Overhead Press 70 lbs
    Bench Press 100 lbs
    Dead Lift 205 lbs
    Barbell Rows 120 lbs

My workout tomorrow will be
    Squat 120
    OHP 60
    DL 175
    It will be easy (hard to wrap my head around that, still!). I need to let my body heal and work out those kinks.

I think starting with dumbbells will be fine, but as you progress you'll have to reevaluate your equipment or goals.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    @fanncy0626 , @quiksylver296 , and @ar9179 ~ thanks for your advice & sharing!!

Yes I do have the workout plan for SL5x5 (also have the app & am already in the group!) but decided to start with ICF first... (they're kind of similar, I think?!) And yes, seems like I really need to find my max first instead of sticking with lighter DBs (like those 10lbs...). I'll work with my new/ future 52lbs (so the max range will be 104lb when I use both) first, see how it goes, and carefully find a gym at the same time so I can get access to a barbell.

Can't wait to start lifting heavy!! :blush:
  • ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Niniundlapin - Go to this thread which you will find on the strong lift 5X5 group. It will show you several workouts that the ladies do. I myself started out with a 12 pound barbell and added 5 pounds each time until I hit my max for the squat overhead press and the bench press. I put 10 pound weights on each side of that 12 pound barbell for the barbell row and the dead lift and added 5 pounds each time until I reached my max. I used to 12 1/2 pound barbell until I got up to 45 pounds of weight then I switched to the 45 pound Olympic barbell. This is what I do now -

Squats 115 pounds, benchpress 80 pounds, overhead press 55 pounds, barbell row 85 pounds, Dead lift 145 pounds.

I am 58 years old, and I have been lifting since March 1 2015.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10277607/fireworks-november-workouts-going-off-like-a-rocket#latest

You are sooooo awesome!!!!!! Thank you for inspiring us. I have zero excuse at my age :smiley:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    ngaliyin wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Niniundlapin - Go to this thread which you will find on the strong lift 5X5 group. It will show you several workouts that the ladies do. I myself started out with a 12 pound barbell and added 5 pounds each time until I hit my max for the squat overhead press and the bench press. I put 10 pound weights on each side of that 12 pound barbell for the barbell row and the dead lift and added 5 pounds each time until I reached my max. I used to 12 1/2 pound barbell until I got up to 45 pounds of weight then I switched to the 45 pound Olympic barbell. This is what I do now -

Squats 115 pounds, benchpress 80 pounds, overhead press 55 pounds, barbell row 85 pounds, Dead lift 145 pounds.

I am 58 years old, and I have been lifting since March 1 2015.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10277607/fireworks-november-workouts-going-off-like-a-rocket#latest

You are sooooo awesome!!!!!! Thank you for inspiring us. I have zero excuse at my age :smiley:

Thanks! I think everyone on here is inspirational! All the ladies here give me helpful advice and support all the time! You're in the right place!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for posting your amazing results! I'm curious... how heavy do you ladies usually lift?

I just started (as a lifting newbie) and am planning to use dumbbells for ICF at this time before I can find a good gym. I currently have a pair of 10s (feel a bit embarrassed to say these numbers out :blush: ) and a pair of Bowflex 52lb is on the way. I know it's a very individualized thing since everyone's strength is different. My concern is, I know I can lift much heavier things, like 30" traditional TV and 50-lb check-in luggages (not sure how heavy a traditional 30" TV is, but I can, although not easy, carry those up/down 1st/2nd floor without help). Of course those are not my everyday activities and the forms are definitely different. I'm wondering if I'll be wasting my time without progress by using these smaller DBs when I know I might have the potential to lift the heavier ones...?!

Btw, this one sounds interesting & I'll try it when I get my Bowflex...
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/one-rep-max-calculator

I started with dumbbells and it was helpful, though I think eventually you'll want to switch to a barbell. I used this a lot:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1
  • H34v3nlySinsx3
    H34v3nlySinsx3 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    that's so inspiring! I'm beginning to lift and can't wait for the new results!
  • niniundlapin
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »

I just started (as a lifting newbie) and am planning to use dumbbells for ICF at this time before I can find a good gym. I currently have a pair of 10s (feel a bit embarrassed to say these numbers out :blush: ) and a pair of Bowflex 52lb is on the way. I know it's a very individualized thing since everyone's strength is different. My concern is, I know I can lift much heavier things, like 30" traditional TV and 50-lb check-in luggages (not sure how heavy a traditional 30" TV is, but I can, although not easy, carry those up/down 1st/2nd floor without help). Of course those are not my everyday activities and the forms are definitely different. I'm wondering if I'll be wasting my time without progress by using these smaller DBs when I know I might have the potential to lift the heavier ones...?!

I started with dumbbells and it was helpful, though I think eventually you'll want to switch to a barbell. I used this a lot:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1

Yes that's the one I read too & made me decided to buy that Bowflex set!! Thanks for sharing your experience & I feel more comfortable to start with dumbbells now :)
  • trossk2
    trossk2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    All of you ladies have done a fantastic job. Congrats on the rewards of all your hard work. Have a question for yall though. Many people who have lost a lot of weight say they feel cold all the time now. Is this true for yall? It seems to me that the extra muscle and resulting energy burn would help with that issue.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

@niniundlapin I have been lifting for 2 years...I did 5x5 for 9 months then switched to 3x5 and them moved to 5/3/1 for the last year..my current PR (personal records) are as follows:

BP - 135x3
    DL - 235x1
    Squat - 210x1
    OHP 98.5x1

As for your progress as long as you are lifting heavier every time you are making progress..don't let mine or anyone elses discourage you from doing what you are doing...it's all a work in progress.
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    What is strong curves!? And I can't afford a dumb bell. Shoot, I'm totally derailing this thread, I'm so sorry! Everyone's photos look so amazing, I'm like "I WANT THAT BUT HOWWWW" lol

@Kimegatron try googling "I am my own gym" or "convict conditioning" starting out with Bodyweight helps a lot. My own sister only uses up to 10lb hand weights and she is very lean and has definition. You won't get "strong" per say but you will be doing resistance training and maybe you will get to the point where you want to progress and will make it happen.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Kimegatron try googling "I am my own gym" or "convict conditioning" starting out with Bodyweight helps a lot. My own sister only uses up to 10lb hand weights and she is very lean and has definition. You won't get "strong" per say but you will be doing resistance training and maybe you will get to the point where you want to progress and will make it happen.

Good recommendations, but the one I marked in Bold is "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. Excellent book and you can purchase an app for it as well.
  • wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @arditarose Amazing! You look great especially the underwear pic! The last 15 weeks I have increased my cals finding TDEE. I started around 2000-2050 but lowered them to 1950-1850 because I think I maintain around 1850. I'm also doing PHUL and no cardio. I'm curious about how many calories you eat when you are cutting? I've set my cals to 1650 in MFP but still going over them and eating 1850ish avg/week. I'm currently 127 ( from 122 when I started finding TDEE) and would like to get down to 115 before bulking next year!
  • Simply827
    Simply827 Posts: 41 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy for a month and a half now and I'm loving the results so far. I'm especially in love with my new shoulders.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    wannabf1t wrote: »
    @arditarose Amazing! You look great especially the underwear pic! The last 15 weeks I have increased my cals finding TDEE. I started around 2000-2050 but lowered them to 1950-1850 because I think I maintain around 1850. I'm also doing PHUL and no cardio. I'm curious about how many calories you eat when you are cutting? I've set my cals to 1650 in MFP but still going over them and eating 1850ish avg/week. I'm currently 127 ( from 122 when I started finding TDEE) and would like to get down to 115 before bulking next year!

Not gonna lie. When I decided to get under 130 I tried to get aggressive. My TDEE is 1800. I tried to lose 1 lb per week. I don't recommend it. But I just wanted to get lean enough to bulk. I actually started my bulk around 128 which is what I was in those pics. I can't get to 122. Or 125 lol.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    This was as lean as I could get. I didn't run PHUL on a deficit, too much volume for me. It's good at maintenance though. I was between 126-128 here.

ds0of3wuxxpf.jpg
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »

Yes that's the one I read too & made me decided to buy that Bowflex set!! Thanks for sharing your experience & I feel more comfortable to start with dumbbells now :)

Start with what you have and make sure you get form down. Then move on to heavier stuff. We all have a different "heavy", we have different abilities. Getting form down is very important, then once you know what you are doing, just keep adding. I am still on dumbbells, but I am also 66, and worked on computers for over 35 years. So while I could carry old CRTs around, I had no form for lifting things over my head, etc.

You will do fine.
  • niniundlapin
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    @niniundlapin I have been lifting for 2 years...I did 5x5 for 9 months then switched to 3x5 and them moved to 5/3/1 for the last year..my current PR (personal records) are as follows:

BP - 135x3
    DL - 235x1
    Squat - 210x1
    OHP 98.5x1

As for your progress as long as you are lifting heavier every time you are making progress..don't let mine or anyone elses discourage you from doing what you are doing...it's all a work in progress.

Start with what you have and make sure you get form down. Then move on to heavier stuff. We all have a different "heavy", we have different abilities. Getting form down is very important, then once you know what you are doing, just keep adding. I am still on dumbbells, but I am also 66, and worked on computers for over 35 years. So while I could carry old CRTs around, I had no form for lifting things over my head, etc.

You will do fine.

Thank you both, @SezxyStef and @retirehappy !! You ladies are so inspiring and thanks for the encouragement. I became so afraid of not having any progress every time I start something new since I've been working on my physical appearance for so long... But I'll just do it (and watch what I eat) without worrying too much this time as long as I make sure my form & weight I lift are good :blush:
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Good recommendations, but the one I marked in Bold is "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. Excellent book and you can purchase an app for it as well.

Been doing YAYOG since April. Fantastic results for both strength and definition. Definitely recommend!

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the awesomeness
  • FitChick_40
    FitChick_40 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    wow, you ladies are awesome! Hope to post progress pics in the future too
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!