HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• enaliba
    enaliba Posts: 146 Member
    enaliba wrote: »
    Hello! I won’t have access to a gym or any equipment until next fall...so what core exercises can I do to best condition my body? I want to start lifting again next fall but until then, I want to regain my health and best prepare my body. For context, I am 6 months post the birth of my baby and have the all clear from my doctor, just no gym!

For aerobics, I currently walk and am going to start Couch to 5K soon.

Thanks!

Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym are two popular bodyweight programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I’ll look into these! Thanks for the link.

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    enaliba wrote: »
    Hello! I won’t have access to a gym or any equipment until next fall...so what core exercises can I do to best condition my body? I want to start lifting again next fall but until then, I want to regain my health and best prepare my body. For context, I am 6 months post the birth of my baby and have the all clear from my doctor, just no gym!

For aerobics, I currently walk and am going to start Couch to 5K soon.

Thanks!

Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym are two popular bodyweight programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Ditto. Get started on calisthenics! You can take your body pretty far and build up a lot of strength with just body-weight alone.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited January 2020
    I think I'm going to have to check out that thread mentioned above: I've had a go-to bodyweight series that I realise isn't doing it for me right now (perfectly happy to get up at 6 AM to go for a run. Totally a whingy whinypants about getting up at the same time for my warm bodyweight programme). Until I stop being cheap and join a gym.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    <--- is just here for the super strong lifting gal pictures... pay me no mind. 🤫
    Good jobs ladies! Chase that pump!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited January 2020
    hmrambling wrote: »
    y6qiltjlaopw.jpg

5'4.5" 133 lbs in both photos | Cardio (left) 12/2014 vs lifting heavy (right) 1/2020

I was working with a trainer on lifting heavy in 2014 *however* I got the running bug and started running long distances. I also got tunnel vision and was only running. I ran a marathon (26.2 miles) in January 2015 three weeks after the photo on the left was taken. photo

In the photo on the right, I've been lifting heavy since September and I run about once a week. I built my own home gym in November and have been working on the Stronglift 5x5 program.

You'll notice RBL over my weight rack. That's for Run Bike Lift. When I get running tunnel vision I completely abandon strength training. I try to incorporate some leisure cycling and I tend to not get tunnel vision with leisure cycling.

The photo on the left shows mostly cardio, very little lifting. The photo on the right shows heavy lifting with little cardio.
    Superb!!Very inspiring result!
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Hoping to post my progress photos in this thread soon!
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I definitely enjoy lifting and the definition it gives. I think the important thing to remember is no one is jacked over night. There are times I felt my traps or arms were getting too big... so I stopped working them so hard. Trust it took many hours, many days, many months for all that. I love that I can sculpt my body; I can make my legs, butt and chest bigger.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    For anyone who hasn't read this yet:

How to Start Powerlifting as a Woman: Staci’s Story

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!