5'6 Ladies: what's your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Vune, that's incredible! I commend your spirit for keeping on target even through something as difficult as an organ transplant! That is so admirable. You are living proof that we are definitely better than we think.

You should be darn proud of yourself.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and my goal on MFP is 135. That is just some arbitrary number I pulled out of the air though. I'm don't dwell on it because honestly I am happy with myself at any weight as long as I am eating right and exercising regularly.

Sorry that people feel that it's a cop out to not want to turn heads in a bikini. That's not my goal, and I think that it's a bit unrealistic. There is not a single female in my family, no matter the weight or age, who would turn heads in a bikini. lol
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Vune, that's incredible! I commend your spirit for keeping on target even through something as difficult as an organ transplant! That is so admirable. You are living proof that we are definitely better than we think.

You should be darn proud of yourself.

The transplant was a breeze to me compared to moving across the country. I did not fit in and ate my feelings and gained about 50 lbs. Thirty of those came off easily, then I got complacent and let myself stop trying. Luckily, I merely maintained. Now, I'm back home on the fast-paced east coast, and I need to be my happier self again. No excuses. I've learned that every bit counts. My kidneys are genetic, but every other problem that's come up since I gained need to gtfo of my body.
  • kandyice1
    kandyice1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm shooting for 150 right now and then will reassess how I look and feel when I get there.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You'll get there. I have no doubt about it. I looked at your diary, and your caloric intake are very similar to mine when I was in weight loss mode. I just moved to Raleigh, North Carolina from Southern California last year - I know exactly how hard a move across country can be. We are finally getting settled and am getting to know the area better. It is hard moving to a town where you know very few people, but I am making friends here and there.

My co-workers rock, so that helps.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Agreed again, schmoony. A skeleton is a skeleton, and has very little variation from one person to another, other than height. There really is no such thing as "big boned." People however do distribute fat around different parts of the body which is why this myth is so widely accepted. The places where you store fat the most is what determines your shape - not your skeleton.

145 would technically put a 5'6" women in the "healthy" weight category, but chances are that woman would not be happy there. Why not go for the whole package?

Who are you to say what weight would make people more happy? When people comes on here and say things such as " oh frame size doesn't matter" or "unless you are a body builder muscle mass makes little difference" etc...BS!
    2 people at exact same weight and height can have 2 completely different body types and muscle mass and that my dear makes a huge difference. When I was 145 at 5'5" I was in excellent shape and very athletic. My BF was 5'6" and 130 pounds. We had the same measurements. My hips were actually an inch smaller than hers. So if I want my goal weight at 145, I chose that weight, not because its an easy way out, ..but because I happen to know what works the best for me. Everybody is different.
    Try to focus on your own body and what works for you and your whole package. Your body might look better at 125 than at 140. So in other word, that works for you.
  • Litababy5
    Litababy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Im between 5'6 and 5'7, about 132pounds. I wanna get down to 125 or 118 pounds. But since muscle mass increases with strength training, I think talking in dress size terms, I wanna be a 4. Im between 6 and 8 now.
  • heartofviolet
    heartofviolet Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My ideal weight would be 125lbs, give or take 5, meaning I have 43lbs more to lose. I started at 178 and am currently at 168, so I've lost 10, and managed to keep it off for a year and a half so far, but I definitely want and need to lose more. I may adjust it with time; we'll see! But yeah, 125lbs would be my ideal.
  • Kst76
    Options
    I'm shooting for 150 right now and then will reassess how I look and feel when I get there.

That's how I am. I take small steps at the time. My current goal is 145 but who knows what happens once I get there. As long as you are happy with your weight and how you look that's all that matters.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    140-145 is my end goal (142 is actual goal).
  • morah29
    morah29 Posts: 107
    Options
    I am 5'6" and at this point I just want to be under 200... then go from there.. but my goal weight isn't really a weight.. but more what looks good on me... and were I am right now is not good...
  • Kst76
    Options
    140-145 is my end goal (142 is actual goal).
    142 is good. Or 143 but 142 is better :)
  • eej23
    eej23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and work out 5 days a week, lifting and eating healthy for the most part (a few cheats here and there) and I weigh 119lbs. I am trying to get more muscle weight, but not expecting a lot of weight gain.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I want to add that one should be happy with themselves and their current shape on the way to their goal, but why not set a goal that is what you truly want to look like. Anyone who says they wouldn't want a firm, toned body that turns heads in a bathing suit is lying to themselves.5'6" 145 is not firm and toned. It's just "good enough" to not look fat in clothes. No offense. Just trying to be honest.

I am 5'6" 145lbs with a body fat % of just over 19% (determined professionally). I wear I size four and rock a bikini. I am firm and toned. This is the most idiotic post I have seen in a while.

This^^^^ Seriously. A lot of dumb *kitten* responses.... Not worth even commenting, but I had to give props to this response!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and my weigh in today was 131... I want to be 120, like I was when I felt my best (i was 120 lbs and had lots of energy, could get stuff done, and was eating very well and exercising daily!)

If I get to 125 i'll be happy, but really aiming for 120. Finally this week I'm starting to feel skinny again (when i started initially on MFP I was 167, this time around I started at about 142). I would love to be a size 6 again (I'm currently fitting comfortably in an 8).

It all depends on body time and wear you carry the weight depends on your size (I'm a rectangle, but now looking more hourglass, my waist and hips were the same measurement for a long time). Also depends on fat vs muscle weight.

You need to be comfortable in your own skin.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    A 5' 6" woman, regardless of "frame", should weigh no more than 130 lbs. There is very little variation of muscle mass in woman unless they are into bodybuilding, and frame size only accounts for a few pounds one way or the other. Any goal over that is a consolation and a cop out.

ummm what?!?!?!

I agree with a previous post...one of the most ridiculous things I have heard on here! My client is 5'6 - weighs 155 and is thin!!! In fact I made her weigh herself here because I did not believe her!

A women's goal should be - where SHE is happy.
    My current goal is 155 as "been there" and it is a perfect weight for me. Base it on your comfortable level and take one day at a time. If you are not happy with your body appearance but are unsure if losing weight can help - maybe toning- lifting can help there. More strength - less cardio. Even if you do not lose more weight you will tone up nicely ;) Good luck!

BTW - sometimes when we lose weight...we still see our old self in the mirror
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    A 5' 6" woman, regardless of "frame", should weigh no more than 130 lbs. There is very little variation of muscle mass in woman unless they are into bodybuilding, and frame size only accounts for a few pounds one way or the other. Any goal over that is a consolation and a cop out.

ummm what?!?!?!

I agree with a previous post...one of the most ridiculous things I have heard on here! My client is 5'6 - weighs 155 and is thin!!! In fact I made her weigh herself here because I did not believe her!

A women's goal should be - where SHE is happy.
    My current goal is 155 as "been there" and it is a perfect weight for me. Base it on your comfortable level and take one day at a time. If you are not happy with your body appearance but are unsure if losing weight can help - maybe toning- lifting can help there. More strength - less cardio. Even if you do not lose more weight you will tone up nicely ;) Good luck!

BTW - sometimes when we lose weight...we still see our old self in the mirror

Thank you for that. I know you are right about seeing our old self as I have dropped sizes, so this may be part of the problem. Im not looking to turn heads, but i want to feel confident wearing shorts and Im still not there yet. Hopefully in time.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I do not think I have ever been comfy in shorts - I have basketball knees LOL They were called that when I was younger...I have huge knee caps :(

You will get there ;) 50% determination and 50% patience!

Do not give up - but do not beat yourself up either. The whole "mental" part will fade in time. In the meantime..kick up some strength training to get some toning action.
  • ainsleybtown
    ainsleybtown Posts: 484
    Options
    I started at 182. Mine was originally 140, but now that I am 156, I am thinking 135.
  • eastgurl2001
    Options
    Im 5'8" and I would love to get down to about 160-150ish, I havent seen that weight in over 15 years since Im currently at around 270 I have a ways to go. I think the lowest I would ever want to be would be 140 but that would be pushing it. I was 180 when I got married 4 years ago and while I was happy I was under 200, I wasn't very pleased with how I looked so I don't know.