Fat shaming in the media

Options

Replies

• sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This is a hard one. On one hand, I don't approve of bullying, or cruelty. One the other hand, I think coddling people when they are doing something wrong can have a very negative effect as well by not addressing the problem. I guess being factual would be the ideal way to go, mainly medically.

ie, obesity can lead a much higher risk of developing x,y,z etc. and obesity can be combated through a,b,c etc.

Information and education, not shaming or coddling.

This^^^
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Truth hurts but first it'll piss you off

WINNER!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    LOL. Movie theater seats, booths, and airplanes aren't made for skinny people. They're made for regular sized people.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the link--BUT, I think guilt and shame are seriously underrated in today's society--and I also believe the denial/ignoring-downplaying of guilt and shame in today's society (in so many areas of life, especially with the epidemic of obesity in our nation and other nations too) are also a major cause of many (if not most) of our society's ills and woes. I also believe that the lack of guilt and shame about how we live, being replaced by the ever popular and sought after "good" self-esteem, political correctness and this is what I want and I want it now... if it feels good, do it--no matter what anyone else thinks or feels mentality--is going to be the ultimate destruction of our society....:cry::ohwell: :indifferent: :cry:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, opinions are like noses...everyone has one or should--this is my opinion:wink:

Preach it! QFT
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    The Ashley Madison one was bad. If you cheat because your partner is fat (or any other reason) then you need to leave.

I agree on that one, although keeping yourself looking nicer than that may be a good idea (I think that's what they are getting at). But apart from that..... shame away I say.
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I want extremely overweight people to get in shape. But not because they'd look better. Not because they'd be liked more. I want them to be happy. I want them to be healthy. I want them to enjoy life and not be ashamed of who they are (even if it's just a moment of doubt). Because of that I want to be their friend the whole journey. Happy in the beginning and happy in the end. Shame is just not necessary. But support and love are vital!
    ^^Agree!
  • BlackEyedPanda
    BlackEyedPanda Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the "shame" is in the bagel one at all, except that I'd need two 150 calorie bowls of oatmeal to be even remotely satisfied, or one 300 calorie bagel. And if I have the oatmeal, I'll be farting all day. :embarassed:
    The shaming was in the addition at the bottom that said something like 'Summer is coming.. ughh.. just saying' or something like that. Without that notation it would've been absolutely fine. I wouldn't class that as fat-shaming BUT I don't think that belongs on the streets. I work in mental health research and that kind of a thing can be very triggering for people with eating disorders and it doesn't promote healthy eating. Being aware of the caloric values is good, but that should be linked to health, not looks.

It would have been better in my opinion if it had said the caloric values and then just 'We serve oatmeal' at the bottom.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the "shame" is in the bagel one at all, except that I'd need two 150 calorie bowls of oatmeal to be even remotely satisfied, or one 300 calorie bagel. And if I have the oatmeal, I'll be farting all day. :embarassed:
    The shaming was in the addition at the bottom that said something like 'Summer is coming.. ughh.. just saying' or something like that. Without that notation it would've been absolutely fine. I wouldn't class that as fat-shaming BUT I don't think that belongs on the streets. I work in mental health research and that kind of a thing can be very triggering for people with eating disorders and it doesn't promote healthy eating. Being aware of the caloric values is good, but that should be linked to health, not looks.

It would have been better in my opinion if it had said the caloric values and then just 'We serve oatmeal' at the bottom.
    Seriously? Saying that summer is coming does not put shame on anyone. That is absurd.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I'm always frustrated to hear arguments like "Well, thin people get shamed too! So fat shaming is okay!"

Can we all just agree that shaming people into being healthy (no matter what their size) is mean and counterproductive? I don't know that all the ads in the link are shaming, but if we all just worried more about ourselves and what we are/aren't putting into our own bodies, and got some reasonable amount of exercise, and quit worrying about what everyone else is doing we'd be a lot happier. Health is not necessarily linked to size -- we all anecdotally know some very healthy but heavy people, and some very unhealthy thin people. Health is about doing good to your body. That's it.

It's not fun to be on the receiving end of shame, period. So let's all just focus on ourselves, and get over it.

(And if the media would stop being so sensationalist, that would help a whole lot too)

So do you think the shaming of smokers was counterproductive?

Maybe we should have a fat tax?

shush kitty, no need to get riled up here at mfp. No worthy opponents?

* who is Ashley Madison?
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Horsedookie!

I'm sick of people on here saying "shaming doesn't help, I was shamed for years. It wasn't until I decided that I love myself that I lost a bunch of weight." REALLY, so the shaming didn't work. How do you know? Seems to me, even if it took many years, and you remember the shaming, then it probably helped a little.

And I hate how people blame other things for their weight and eating habits.

I know why I'm fat. I don't pretend to blame others, or situations. I'm fat, because I don't perform enough activities and I eat too much. It's not complicated. Blaming your parents, friends, situations, genetics, stress, etc... is all bullcrap. Those are just excuses we all make so we can continue to eat and do nothing.

Read these message boards and see how many people are looking for that "magic bullet" to lose weight the easy way.

And again for all those saying these billboards are counterproductive and they should do positive billboards... just search something like "healthy billboards" under google images... and see what shows up. I know I have seen hundreds of these over my lifetime. They just don't get the press because they don't offend. But who's to say they work any better than the offensive ones.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to throw it out there that my mother is fat because she had cancer.

Let me say that again--My mother had cancer. They cut her open and took out a good portion of her intestine. She's been dealing with the effects for the past 38 years.

And you're going to shame her because you think she's fat? You're going to say it's her fault?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the link--BUT, I think guilt and shame are seriously underrated in today's society--and I also believe the denial/ignoring-downplaying of guilt and shame in today's society (in so many areas of life, especially with the epidemic of obesity in our nation and other nations too) are also a major cause of many (if not most) of our society's ills and woes. I also believe that the lack of guilt and shame about how we live, being replaced by the ever popular and sought after "good" self-esteem, political correctness and this is what I want and I want it now... if it feels good, do it--no matter what anyone else thinks or feels mentality--is going to be the ultimate destruction of our society....:cry::ohwell: :indifferent: :cry:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, opinions are like noses...everyone has one or should--this is my opinion:wink:

Preach it! QFT

I agree, you're all winners let me star your foreheads does nothing to build character.

*instead of whining about it does anyone here have ideas for solutions?
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Well considering some of those radical right wings have used the exact same shaming techniques on abortion and homosexuality, I find it repulsive and it makes we want to get more fat and take a giant dump on all their stupid faces.

Well aren't you the epitome of progressive enlightenment?

So you'd say be nice to those flinging abuse at you?

That has been the "Golden Rule" for quiet a long time. If you choose to be bitter that is on you. I'm not going to delve into the politics of this ridiculous statement.
    You are right, it is up to me the victim to just take it and be silent. I should never fight back, shouldn't stand my ground because I'd be dropping to the other persons level how terrible.

No. I will fight back, defend myself, protect myself. It is NOT up to the victim to be a better person just because it might offend the abuser. Thats not how it works. Thats not reality. I do not have to give a **** about the feelings of people out to hurt me.

Ooook......and I'll try to make sure I, as a right winger, don't upset you. Geez, how did this come up again? Are you talking politics or fat shaming?
    I am going to assume you are not someone who flings abuse at other, I do not know you but I'm assuming this.

My response may startle you or seem aggressive but my point still stands, no matter what the area, if someone is rude, if someone is hurtful, if someone is abusive, it is not the victims responsibility to be nice.

I'm not talking politics I am talking tactics. No matter what side you stand on, your methods, your tactics are the selling point, if your tactics are to attack and shame then you can bet I won't think well on you.

No matter what your beliefs are does not matter as long as you do not step all over others as a way to enforce them.

If you step on me I will hit you.

Every single post I have seen from you on this thread has been aggressive, extremely biased, and rude.

You are "victimizing" yourself baselessly, tastelessly, and shamelessly.

Grow up, please.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Fat shaming > Fat Acceptance

Your body is your responsibility and your business, and ONLY your responsibility and your business. Your friends and loved ones may be able to sway your opinion, but at the end of the day you make your own choices and that is YOUR right.

Sorry, going to disagree with this. I don't agree with fat shaming AT ALL, but the truth is the obesity epidemic doesn't only affect the obese. According to Forbes, obesity now costs Americans more in health care than smoking. It's a matter of public health.

From the article:
    "The high cost of being significantly overweight manifests in a variety of ways, ranging from the increased insurance premiums we all pay to subsidize the added medical charges incurred by the obese to the surprisingly dramatic impact our collective pounds has on energy costs."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/04/30/obesity-now-costs-americans-more-in-healthcare-costs-than-smoking/

Well, if we had nationalized healthcare instead of paying out the butt for private companies who can charge as much as they please (especially when it comes to pharmaceuticals), this might not be the case...
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Horsedookie!

I'm sick of people on here saying "shaming doesn't help, I was shamed for years. It wasn't until I decided that I love myself that I lost a bunch of weight." REALLY, so the shaming didn't work. How do you know? Seems to me, even if it took many years, and you remember the shaming, then it probably helped a little.

I know why I'm fat. I don't pretend to blame others, or situations. I'm fat, because I don't perform enough activities and I eat too much. It's not complicated. Blaming your parents, friends, situations, genetics, stress, etc... is all bullcrap. Those are just excuses we all make so we can continue to eat and do nothing.

Get off the soapbox, dude.

There are excuses, and then there are legitimate reasons for becoming overweight. The two are blended often, to be sure, but you don't get to dictate that EVERY reason people give is an excuse.

I was fat already at age 18 when my mother died, but dealing with her death and being away at college (away from home) put me into a deep depression. My metabolism plummeted because I slept about 14 hours a day, and I piled on the fat because all I wanted to eat was fatty comfort foods. I refused to seek mental help for a long time because I was too embarrassed to admit I needed it. Of course, years later, I realized the error of my ways and am now working to build healthy habits, both physical and mental.

But sometimes life just gets in the way, and you are in no position whatsoever to judge every single person-- i.e., everyone but you.

Oh, and shaming DOESN'T work, not for anyone, not for any habit you could possibly have. I was bullied mercilessly in school, and guess what? It wasn't until last year, at age 24-- more than 8 years after the worst of the bullying STOPPED-- that I finally decided to make a real change in my life. So you can take your perverted self-righteous logic and shove it :smile:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to throw it out there that my mother is fat because she had cancer.

Let me say that again--My mother had cancer. They cut her open and took out a good portion of her intestine. She's been dealing with the effects for the past 38 years.

And you're going to shame her because you think she's fat? You're going to say it's her fault?

Right, there are all kinds of reasons why people can be overweight. It is bizarre to just want to harshly judge everyone for that. I've never been overweight, so I wouldn't judge because it's not an experience that I have had (what could I possibly base my judgement on). There are a lot worse things in life to get upset over (other people's weight doesn't make that list for me).
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Fat shaming > Fat Acceptance

Your body is your responsibility and your business, and ONLY your responsibility and your business. Your friends and loved ones may be able to sway your opinion, but at the end of the day you make your own choices and that is YOUR right.

Sorry, going to disagree with this. I don't agree with fat shaming AT ALL, but the truth is the obesity epidemic doesn't only affect the obese. According to Forbes, obesity now costs Americans more in health care than smoking. It's a matter of public health.

From the article:
    "The high cost of being significantly overweight manifests in a variety of ways, ranging from the increased insurance premiums we all pay to subsidize the added medical charges incurred by the obese to the surprisingly dramatic impact our collective pounds has on energy costs."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/04/30/obesity-now-costs-americans-more-in-healthcare-costs-than-smoking/

Well, if we had nationalized healthcare instead of paying out the butt for private companies who can charge as much as they please (especially when it comes to pharmaceuticals), this might not be the case...

That whole freemarket concept was a dreadful idea. It only helped create the strongest middle class the world has ever seen. Just saying.....
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Horsedookie!

Get off the soapbox, dude.

There are excuses, and then there are legitimate reasons for becoming overweight. The two are blended often, to be sure, but you don't get to dictate that EVERY reason people give is an excuse.

I was fat already at age 18 when my mother died, but dealing with her death and being away at college (away from home) put me into a deep depression. My metabolism plummeted because I slept about 14 hours a day, and I piled on the fat because all I wanted to eat was fatty comfort foods. I refused to seek mental help for a long time because I was too embarrassed to admit I needed it. Of course, years later, I realized the error of my ways and am now working to build healthy habits, both physical and mental.

But sometimes life just gets in the way, and you are in no position whatsoever to judge every single person-- i.e., everyone but you.

Oh, and shaming DOESN'T work, not for anyone, not for any habit you could possibly have. I was bullied mercilessly in school, and guess what? It wasn't until last year, at age 24-- more than 8 years after the worst of the bullying STOPPED-- that I finally decided to make a real change in my life. So you can take your perverted self-righteous logic and shove it :smile:

Weren't you just on your "soapbox" about nationalized healthcare in your last post?
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Fat shaming doesn't work. Why do a lot of people become overweight? Because they have a problem with emotional eating. All this does is make big people feel even worse than they already do. So what do they do to compensate? Eat more food. Yeah, that seems SO productive!
    If you want "fat people" to become healthy, try supporting them when they do make positive changes. Be a role model, but don't get upset or disgusted with them for not following you. A person's relationship with food is very personal and intimate. To belittle or bully them for it is disgusting and counter productive.

This was my take on things when I posted the article. I dont agree with everyone's opinions but thanks for the great discussion :wink:
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No one has said this yet I don't think: Fat shaming doesn't work as a weight-loss motivator. However, the objective of most of these adds was not to "shame" people into losing weight (none, actually, in my opinion, even the gym and public health ad didn't have the "you should be ashamed you're not healthy/thin" tone). While some of them were quite distasteful, many weren't really about getting healthy or losing weight, they were about sales. When you all say "fat-shaming doesn't work", I think you mean "to help people lose weight". Whether or not these ads "worked" is, I think, an entirely different question since most of them were trying to sell something else. I guess I just wonder what the real question is: Does fat-shaming exist? (sure, although I think only some of these ads were that) Does fat-shaming aid weight loss? (Not so much, making people feel bad isn't usually helpful) Were these ads effective or not based on their appeal to the public's fascination with thinness? (Some probably more than others) The truth is that advertizing is all about getting people to buy in to a product or idea, whether or not it makes a certain portion of the population feel uncomfortable is only really relevant to them when product sales go down because of the bad press. Any thoughts on this? Should there be restrictions? How do we as consumers change this? Is it really so bad to suggest that consumers might want to be thinner, because obviously some of them do (I do!), and that a product might help them do that (I'm thinking the gym and oatmeal ads weren't so bad)?