Triumphantly Dirty (Non-Clean) Eaters

Options

Replies

• daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Mostly bump. But, I am older have lost 10 lbs (still lots to go) and eat semi clean only. Partly because I just happen to like fresh fruits and veggies every day, but I like a sweet and salty treat each day, I just don't go overboard! I guess I'll just continue this way and see! :happy:
  • diegoalatrista010494
    Options
    I eat whatever I want and have lost 89lbs in 7 months so far!
  • avril2626
    avril2626 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Being able to eat what I want to, at times, in moderation, is why mfp is working better for me than other attempts at losing weight. Its easier to incorporate as a lifestyle....duh, huh? Not for all, but definitely in my case.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The fact that eating food has been segmented as "Dirty" and "Clean" just goes to show how effective the propagandist have been on this site.

I had never even heard those terms used and framed in the way they are here by the purists until I came here and started logging and reading the topics.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Here?

Have you not read anything about dieting anywhere?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    @Mav - Right On
    No pics, (but see ticker below). I eat food...I do not judge food as clean or dirty. I eat processed food, I eat fast food a few times a month, I eat chocolate or ice cream every night. I eat chips......in other words, I eat pretty much everything I want....I just eat a lot less of it. I no longer sit in front of the TV at night with said bag of chips or bag of chocolate in my hands. I measure out a serving, and eat it. I also move a lot more than I used to. Bottom line, eat less and move more = success.

I am a "Jekyll and Hyde" Clean vs. Dirty eater.

I like eating "Clean" for the most part because it "feels" good - That's just me and I R a speshul snoflawke LOL.
    Lots of fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, olive oil, fish etc.

However I let my "freak flag" fly with dirty food and I will always eat these foods:

McDonald's Big Macs - (just not as often)
    Frozen Pizza
    Slices of pizza on the road
    Fries
    Chicken Biscuits
    Pop Tarts
    Peanut M&Ms
    Lays "full fat" potato chips
    Kettle Chips
    Butterfingers

Yum Yum!

Check in with me in two months and see how it works!
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew what eating clean is?
    I keep hearing eating clean but cant be arsed to check what it means.

reminds me...I need to put the pizza in the oven.
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't really see it as clean or dirty. In fact, for some reason those terms set me up for making worse choices. I don't want anything to be off limits because ultimately I will fail, and probably fail pretty badly. Instead, I try to eat what I enjoy and make healthier choices along the way because that way I can eat more. It's a trade-off. If I really want chocolate, I'll have chocolate (or pizza or whatever). But in doing so, I also know that I won't have as much volume to eat. So, if the choice is fried chicken by itself or grilled chicken with a side of whatever, I'll probably pick the grilled if I want to eat more food, and the fried if that's just really what I want and I won't feel satisfied until I have it. Ultimately, I want to be satisfied, and so that's a balance of eating more healthy choices and more tasty ones. Tracking everything helps me keep so much more mindful. Also realizing that I don't have to finish what I put on my plate or in my cup helps. I did a road trip this past weekend, and we bought some higher-calorie coffee drinks along the way. Well, I drank half and was happy (wished I had gotten a smaller portion just for money's sake, but that's ok). We had some trail mix with nuts and chocolate in it, and I enjoyed that, too, just measured tablespoon portions to keep track. Pausing to enjoy what I'm eating really helps, too. On the way back, at Wendy's, I got a grilled chicken sandwich, no sauce, and that was it. No soda or fries, as I would have in the past. And guess what, I was happy and full. So that worked. But if I wanted the fries, you better believe I would have had them (or at least a few)!

^^ this about sums it up for me...
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am not a clean eater, but guess not straight out dirty either LOL I mean I eat what I want within reason/moderation but don't eat out as much, and I eat healthier in general. I do not deprive myself of anything, I want ice cream? I eat a serving (weighed out) and move on. I want pizza? I eat 2-3 slices if it fits my calorie allowance for the day.

I wanted a lifestyle I could continue when I reach goal and giving up foods I love is not an option. I eat pretty much everything in moderation, heck the other day I had 3 Krispy Kreme's for breakfast, YUM! Those brownie batter doughnuts are the bomb! ;)

I have been tracking since May 2013 and am down nearly 70lbs, almost half way to goal!
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat dirty! Deep fried fish tacos like 3x a week. Lots of bean and cheese burritos, and breakfast burritos. Pizza and Burger at least once a week. You definitely CAN still lose weight while eating like a stoner . . . :smokin:

you are awesome.
  • gfrogel
    gfrogel Posts: 14
    Options
    Totally understand! I work at a fast food restaurant during the summer to help pay for college, so....the temptation is sometimes too much to bare. But, watching my calories and logging every bite (even the really high cal and fat foods I'm ashamed to admit I ate) has really helped me to stay on track! First three weeks on mfp and I'm already 5 pounds lighter! Who says you can't eat dirty and still get fit ;)
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 66 and have lost 20lbs so far. I am rarely hungry and eat what I want. I have chocolate everyday but it's in a more controlled fashion i.e. I'll have a section of a large bar rather than the entire thing! Also, I'm a ''write before I bite'' kind of girl now so when I enter something into the MFP app which is high in fat/calories, I can soon see if it's really worth it.

It's been a learning curve and I've found that making some slight adjustments to my favourite foods or meals can make an incredible difference. My other half wanted Dominos pizza this week for example - I wanted to cry but equally really fancied pizza seeing as I hadn't had any since starting over 6 weeks ago! So, I read through all the nutritional information on their website in order to make the best choice possible. (Thin and crispy base, tomato sauce, ''delight'' low fat mozzarella, tandoori chicken and vegetables if you're interested!). So, yes, I very much still eat junk food but it's less often now and more considered. :smile:
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want - if you want to call that dirty (I don't) - and I've lost 60lbs total. Getting my motivation back to drop the rest I have left.

I work with a girl who's been doing Paleo diet and cross fit for about 1/2 a year. It's working for her and it's commendable, but she gets a little judgey or is "evangelical" about it with others. I'm glad what she's doing is working for her... but I don't know if my goals are the same and until want to talk hard exercise and restriction diets, lets just pat each other on our backs for our successes.

Anyway, do what you gotta do. Stay under your calories, exercise in ways you want, and lose it in a way you know you can keep it off.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever. Fast food, ice cream, soda, brownies, takeout several times a week. I am a distance runner, but I've always been a rail my whole life.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read more later! <3
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I just don't have the time, motivation or inclination to cook after work so I eat a lot of prepared oven/microwaveable meals. I've lost 15.5lbs in 54 days. For me this is sustainable.
  • Sawieger88
    Sawieger88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy food about 80% of the time and let myself give into cravings that other 20%. I think eating clean is a great way for some people to figure out what is healthy and what's not. I have always known I was just lazy and ate too much. I cook 80% of my meals at home and try and be good when I am at a restaurant. I have lost 40 lbs in five months and I don't always eat perfect. I run and dance everyday though. Especially when I hit up cookies and brownies. I am a baker and have to be really careful.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I make it a thing to make every Saturday my "doughnut day." It's exactly as it sounds. Doughnut -- put in mouth. P;

Although I generally eat pretty "clean" out of habit, learning that I didn't have to always "eat clean" actually helped me whip my diet into shape! Knowing that I could still have the sweets that I love inspired me look forward to my meals and planning them. The fact that this time, I am not suffering through restrictions and barrels of green stuff is totally helping with understanding what it truly means to learn how to eat in a way that will be sustainable for the rest of my life.
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I started at 410 lbs, currently at 340. And i eat pretty much anything i want so long as im hittin my macros.
  • Clarehc
    Clarehc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think the term 'clean eating' is becoming a bit of a buzz word, I'm hearing it more and more like there's a huge divide between CLEAN eating and everything else.

Anyway, I don't eat 'clean' fwiw. I don't really like fruit for one thing. I basically eat what I want as long as it's within my calorie limit however the positive side to this is that I make much better choices generally about what to eat so I can feel full and maximise my calories i.e. I have a pile of veg on my plate for supper (with the main meal, not *just* veg) and don't snack so much, nearly all meals are home cooked etc and I've lost quite a bit of weight doing that. It's that kind of eating that stays with you, I think. I maintained for six months not counting calories but just eating the same way i.e. making better choices. I still eat crisps or chocolate every day, lol. I also do some exercise every day as I enjoy it but it gives me a calorie buffer for meals out or extra treats.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!