A side thread off of the 5000 calorie day thread...

Options
12345679»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I was responding to the idea that no one abandons their kids.
    What astounds me is how you don't see the parallels between the broad generalizations you're making of others (and before you say I'm putting words in your mouth the statement 'I don't abandon my kids for two hours to go running 10 miles' implies that some parents, in fact, do go for long runs and that doing so constitutes abandoning their children) and the perceived slights you claim are being made against you.

I wrote that. Where the hell did I say that no one abandons their kids?

Try reading it again.

Just to offer a perspective, I'm planning a 2 hour long run on Sunday without planning on abandoning my children. One does not necessarily imply the other, which is what was being inferred in the argument she was using.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Just to offer a perspective, I'm planning a 2 hour long run on Sunday without planning on abandoning my children. One does not necessarily imply the other, which is what was being inferred in the argument she was using.

34583950.jpg
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    AHEM...

When Wal-Mart finds it necessary to put a sign on the front door reminding their patrons to remember to check their car so that they don't forget their kids, leaving them behind...

When it happens enough that they need SIGNS to remind shoppers..

Yes, it does happen, parents neglect their kids. Some would leave them behind to work on themselves.

[im.g]Big pointless picture[/im.g]

Genocide, rape, torture, drug abuse, murder, pedophilia, incest, and Fergie all exist in this world too...maybe I should talk to you like you're guilty of those attrocities?

LOL you said Fergie. :laugh:
    FR sent.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    for jo.f. howard-schatz-and-beverly-ornstein.html
    howard-schatz-and-beverly-ornstein.html
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Soooo, back to the OP...

I'll just post Sara's awesome thread again. :bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering because my mind is boggled. I'm not trying to be condescending or rude. This is an honest question/statement. Alot of the fittest people on this site (who I'm not naming cuz i dont want to finger point but are super knowledgeable and well known for giving great advice and they know who they are and can respond if they wish to) are the people that are condoning and even promoting eating dirty and super high calorie foods that have not much to offer from a nutritional or calorie defecit standpoint. Most of the people Im referring to have made posts on the recent 5000 calorie day thread, but I've seen it all over the forums when people talk about eating clean, avoiding traditional "junk foods" etc. Some even poke fun at people and make them feel like theyre doing something silly by trying to eat healthier to lose weight. These people I speak of all have super 6 packs and obviously have had great results with their lifestyles. Hence why my mind is boggled knowing that most of the people found a need to get on this site from eating meals such as these. Most average people aren't putting in the workouts that these ripped people obviously do that make eating like that and looking like THAT possible. They cant really be blessed with genetics that would allow eating that way and NOT working out to result in bodies like those works of art! So why make the average person feel like its wrong or stupid to try to eat "healthier" and avoid trigger foods (like sweets for me) and heavily processed foods, and that eating 5000 calories a day will not affect weight loss results and is actually good for the average overweight person? I understand it can be part of a whole lifestyle, or bodybuilding program. Things like carb cycling, backloading, high calorie days, intense workouts. But I think its misleading to the average joe trying to lose a few pounds to say "if you want to eat it, then just eat it, its not going to harm you" without a disclaimer of some sort saying "You best not do this all the time and you best get your *kitten* to the gym and lift some heavy weights and go for a run after binging like this cuz mopping doesnt count as exercise if you eat like me" .

Thoughts? :flowerforyou:

I read through all 19 pages of that thread and 7 pages of this one, and didn't really see anyone saying to go ahead and eat 5k a day for no reason. There were examples given of why someone would want to:
    1. Training for a marathon
    2. Gaining weight (I believe that is the goal of the other op)
    3. Bulking after a cut
    4. Once in a while going "off the map"

The most fit people on that thread and this one didn't advocate only eating fast food to lose weight, nor did they advocate only eating organic grass fed chicken in 3 ounce increments. I don't think any of them were trolling either (although this is the internet, so anything is possible!). What they were saying was moderation is okay and once in a while of eating off the MFP plan isn't going to derail you long term and that you shouldn't feel bad either.

If you have a trigger that causes you to binge, then its totally understandable to want to avoid that food or do what you need to do to keep in check. It is as much psychological and is it physical. However, my feelings on why the "diet" industry is thriving is that when we're told to restrict or limit a food group or only eat at certain times or have to take a supplement at exactly 8am every morning, we are being set up to fail. I fell into that group for 20+ years, fad diets, pills, restrictions, etc. I failed every dang time - until now.

I have not purposely given up any single food item or group in the last year. I have reduced serving sizes, frequency and made some substitutions. I no longer binge out of deprivation or feelings of failure. I take what I call "no count" days once month or two, where I don't fill in my diary or measure my foods. I feel this has been one of the biggest factors in me losing 62 lbs in the past year and for keeping it off for this long. ( I've been plateaued for a few months now, but haven't had a net gain either.) I'm not now and never again will be on a diet and I can live this way for the rest of my life. It helps to make me Happy, which is a huge thing for me.

In fact, in an attempt to get off this plateau, this past Sat-Mon was all no count. I lost some of the water weight I've been holding and came back from the weekend two pounds down. I did eat more than usual and things I don't have on a regular basis, and didn't feel sick or that I failed. (I had one of the most amazing burgers with Gruyere, bacon, garlic aioli on a ciabatta bun with hand cut fries with truffle oil on Saturday, with a spiced Washington apple cider mixed drink. I've subbed drive through burgers with the ones like this). Tuesday morning I started logging again with no problems.

I will admit that I was scared to start this way and scared I would fail yet again. It was seeing the posts and before/after's of people like Yoovie, DavPul, Acg, and now others in this thread like Lea that all said "one day won't kill you" in that other thread that gave me encouragement and real examples of success in the "everything in moderation" life.

No offense meant, just want to offer my thoughts on understanding where they are coming from.
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I know which corner I want to stand in. How bout you?
    Yea, I'm with this guy.

I'm standing over her with Dave and Lea.

are we just gonna start a party cause im standing with you guys

Yup, I'm standing with these guys too!
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone took a hard right turn from OP's post haha.

Pertaining to the kids discussion, I would be interested to know who, out of the posters, have kids. As for me, I have two kids under 2 years-old both exactly one year apart. My daughter was born February 2012 and my son February 2013. I'm a stay-at-home mom alone with them upwards 12 hours/day while my husband's at work. Obviously, being 14 months and 2 months, they demand full constant attention. This hinders my workout ability, but at the same time they're a great help!
    Cardiovascular-wise, I'm running around to keep up with them all day long, as well as preparing food and walk/jogging with them in my double stroller. Additionally, their mere existences have inspired and motivated me to become more fit and active.
    My kids are FANTASTIC for strength training! My 25lb daughter is great to bicep curl, and I hold my 11lb son out in front of me when I do squats.
    When you're a mother wanting to work out, excuses are nil. You just have to be creative. And as all moms know, when you have children you get the ability to do anything one-handed.

Mothers are the greatest, strongest people on the planet. If one claims they must "abandon" their children to exercise and get active, then I will give you the award for dumbest, lamest excuse. Congratulations.
    Find a good daycare, get a stroller, buy a bike with a kid trailer, find a mommy and me yoga class, your options truly are endless. There are thousands of women in your exact situation yet they manage to workout...sooo what's your problem.
    You better start working on your excuse for when your kid's 18. Just sayin.!
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    When I saw the 5000 cal thread, I thought, "Why would anyone want to?" I too am one of those ordinary Janes who is trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle. I don't go to the gym, I don't eat "clean", but I try to keep to my allotted number of calories while making healthier food choices. I get some exercise every day, because I have a dog that needs to be walked and because I enjoy riding my bicycle. I eat most of my meals at home, and pack my lunch for work every day. I plan my dinner by looking at what I've had to eat earlier in the day and how many calories I have left. Yes, that allows room for the occasional ice cream of other treat. My weight loss is slow, but that's ok.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input in this discussion! There were some people who really got where I was coming from and provided very insightful and appreciated responses that have helped me to see where I may need to change my goals.

Have a great Friday and weekend everyone!

And please, don't abandon your children in walmart or anywhere else :wink:

#freeyoovie