squats

Options
1234568»

Replies

• ProudArmyWifey8
    Options
    If your legs hurt after squats it's almost certainly due to improper form. Squats are awesome, but they are tough to do correctly. There's a lot going on. The good news is there's only one or two main points to really worry about when starting.

1: Don't let your knees go past your toes. You do this by angling your toes outward and driving your hips back.
    2: Keep the weight of the bar over your heels. You should be able to lift your toes off the ground.

thanks for the tips, I forget alot about my knees!
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If your legs hurt after squats it's almost certainly due to improper form.
    Please don't listen to this, ever. Muscle soreness after lifting is perfectly normal
    I was explaining why 45 lbs is not "heavy" for squats. Just because the other two were obnoxious about it doesn't mean they're wrong.

neither is
    250 or more lbs. :)
    Nice strawman but I never said 250 was heavy either. You guys are so busy trying to find something to be offended by that you're missing the difference between "I'm squatting three times a week and am currently at 45 pounds" and "I'm squatting 45 pounds three times a week." It's the progress (in the former and not in the latter) that makes the difference, and you know it. And like I've already said, unless you only weigh 45 pounds or are dealing with some sort of injury or other unusual circumstance, you should have a very real expectation of being able to progress far far beyond 45 pounds.

If you want to give people bad advice and encourage them to stay at 45 lbs forever, that's on you. I prefer to give people good advice even if they can't see it for what it is, because they aren't the only ones who read these threads.

Absolutely ridiculous. Everyone else clearly understood from her post that she was at 45 pounds CURRENTLY. All the backpedalling in the world and replies with misleading redirection does not change the fact that your supposed 'good intentions' were nothing more than spoutting off without comprehension. Does the phrase, 'stop while you are ahead" mean anything to you?

Also - it has been my experience in the world of internet forums that anytime someone says, 'Nice strawman...' is that someone is always just looking to argue. You have beaten this horse to death. You were wrong in your assumptions. Those other 2 obnoxious folk were wrong. Move on. But I know you won't.
  • greeneyedlady02
    greeneyedlady02 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey I just wanted to point out, for safety sake, that using a weighted backpack has different rules than using a barbell (with a rack!). Remember, the backpack is strapped to the users back and hanging on the shoulders. When using a weighted pack pack, I have heard to start out at 10% of your body weight and work your way up. I think weighted backpacks only go up to 100 lbs.

Safe lifting!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Just this past Friday I squatted. Worked up from 130lbs to 310 :)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If your legs hurt after squats it's almost certainly due to improper form. Squats are awesome, but they are tough to do correctly. There's a lot going on. The good news is there's only one or two main points to really worry about when starting.

1: Don't let your knees go past your toes. You do this by angling your toes outward and driving your hips back.
    2: Keep the weight of the bar over your heels. You should be able to lift your toes off the ground.

It's not considered bad form to have your knees go past your toes.

Also, you should feel sore after lifting.

Keeping the weight on the heels is correct though.

Chest up! Be proud of who you are!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do, but I fear I am losing my *kitten*.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Knees and toes... stance matters most here. Wide stance squats should NOT have knees going past the toes, narrow stances will. Really it depends on what "type" you're doing and about a million other things. So it's both, and neither at the same time.

Lateral knee motion is terrible regardless, and a lot of people SHOULD worry about this more than the over the toe thing. Along with improper depth, lateral knee motion is pretty common with bad form.

I personally don't use soreness as an indicator of anything really. Sometimes I'm sore, sometimes I'm not. It doesn't necessarily mean much.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Knees and toes... stance matters most here. Wide stance squats should NOT have knees going past the toes, narrow stances will. Really it depends on what "type" you're doing and about a million other things. So it's both, and neither at the same time.

Lateral knee motion is terrible regardless, and a lot of people SHOULD worry about this more than the over the toe thing. Along with improper depth, lateral knee motion is pretty common with bad form.

I personally don't use soreness as an indicator of anything really. Sometimes I'm sore, sometimes I'm not. It doesn't necessarily mean much.

You're right. You don't need to feel sore, but it's not a bad thing.

Toes over knees/ not bad (I know you are agreeing with this, I just wanted to bring this up again. Huge myth that your knees shouldn't go past your toes)

Keep yourself vertical and the chest up!