For those on LCHF/Paleo here is a cool infographic

Options
123457»

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I am disappoint that we're on page 5 and no one has taken that bacon and eggs and put them on that cream cheese bagel to make a delicious brefiss sammitch.

Also, yes, Reddy has a six pack. How could he not at 135 pounds.

at 125 i didn't have a sixpack.

riddle me that`

Because you were 14?

nope - i was 125 a year ago
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    This thread is buffoonery. case closed.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I am disappoint that we're on page 5 and no one has taken that bacon and eggs and put them on that cream cheese bagel to make a delicious brefiss sammitch.

riddle me that`

Is shakeology paleo?

why do you ask?

Because as a beachbody coach do you recommend it?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

riddle me that`

Is shakeology paleo?

why do you ask?

Because as a beachbody coach do you recommend it?

Sure, if you can afford it. I can't, so I don't use it.

Not sure how it's relevant to the conversation, but ok.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Because you argue in favor of Paleo a lot and as far as I can tell shakeology isn't that so I don't see how the two can mix.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Because you argue in favor of Paleo a lot and as far as I can tell shakeology isn't that so I don't see how the two can mix.

i eat paleo, and I don't use shakeology.

others may not be eating paleo, and may want to use shakeology. not all that difficult to grasp.

EDIT: and shake-o, besides being processed, isn't far off anyway. most of us still use protein powders and i've never advocated being crazy strict about it
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

others may not be eating paleo, and may want to use shakeology. not all that difficult to grasp.

EDIT: and shake-o, besides being processed, isn't far off anyway. most of us still use protein powders and i've never advocated being crazy strict about it

But isn't the shakeology program designed to replace 1 meal a day? Even using the 80/20 rule (which if I recall you said was too loose in a previous thread, but that's neither here nor there) that's still breaking it.

Paleo folks use protein powder? What makes that ok? Why not just eat more meat?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

riddle me that`

Dafuq?

How tall are you?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

But isn't the shakeology program designed to replace 1 meal a day? Even using the 80/20 rule (which if I recall you said was too loose in a previous thread, but that's neither here nor there) that's still breaking it.

Paleo folks use protein powder? What makes that ok? Why not just eat more meat?

shakeology can be used however you want. i used it as a supplement to my other meals. it's 160ish cal. i think that's ok.

and i'd rather get a bunch of protein from veggie protein (pea protein powder) than all of it from meat, as I believe that the general "eat all the meat" paleo concept is also flawed.

it's pretty funny how y'all get on me for being so strict, and then when you find out i'm not it's all "well isn't paleo more strict than that? aren't you not allowed to eat potatoes?"

yup. and i don't care. lol
  • CoachReddy
    Options

riddle me that`

Dafuq?

How tall are you?
    short. 5'7"
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

riddle me that`

Dafuq?

How tall are you?
    short. 5'7"

I'm 5'4. That's not short to me.

You need to bulk.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    shakeology can be used however you want. i used it as a supplement to my other meals. it's 160ish cal. i think that's ok.

and i'd rather get a bunch of protein from veggie protein (pea protein powder) than all of it from meat, as I believe that the general "eat all the meat" paleo concept is also flawed.

it's pretty funny how y'all get on me for being so strict, and then when you find out i'm not it's all "well isn't paleo more strict than that? aren't you not allowed to eat potatoes?"

yup. and i don't care. lol

I don't get on you for being strict, in fact I haven't argued with you THAT much. It is odd to me that you seem to fervently believe that an exclusion based diet is superior and that eliminating processed foods and the like is healthier and yet are admitting that you aren't very strict, that's all.
  • badgerbabs
    badgerbabs Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist I was sent to after a Type II diabetes diagnosis informed me that in order to keep my blood sugars under control and to lose weight, I should attempt to consume no more than 150 g of carbs/day. My caloric intake goal is 1600/day. Now subtract 600 cal (my carbs, 4 cal/g) from 1600; that leaves me 1000. If I can manage to jam in 125 g of protein/day at 4 cal/gram (and that's damned hard), there's another 500 calories. Which leaves me with 500g fat/9 cal/g fat = 55g fat per day.

The nutritionist never addressed where the rest of my calories should come from. Obviously they're not AT ALL comfortable discussing that aspect of the diabetic diet. But it works: My last A1C was 5.6, which any diabetic will tell you is awesome (it's actually at the high end of the normal range). And I lose weight. On the other hand, my cholesterol is high (although the ratios are okay). And I refuse to take statins since they can induce diabetes (!), so I figure that's not a good idea.

So no, not everybody will do well with this - but I do. And that's the one thing nobody here ever talks about - EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US IS DIFFERENT, and what works for one won't work for another. That being said, eating a white flour bagel for breakfast is pretty poor for just about anybody. You may lose weight, but you're not doing your body any long-term favors with that kind of empty sugar calories. (Yes, your body sees it as sugar)
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist I was sent to after a Type II diabetes diagnosis informed me that in order to keep my blood sugars under control and to lose weight, I should attempt to consume no more than 150 g of carbs/day. My caloric intake goal is 1600/day. Now subtract 600 cal (my carbs, 4 cal/g) from 1600; that leaves me 1000. If I can manage to jam in 125 g of protein/day at 4 cal/gram (and that's damned hard), there's another 500 calories. Which leaves me with 500g fat/9 cal/g fat = 55g fat per day.

The nutritionist never addressed where the rest of my calories should come from. Obviously they're not AT ALL comfortable discussing that aspect of the diabetic diet. But it works: My last A1C was 5.6, which any diabetic will tell you is awesome (it's actually at the high end of the normal range). And I lose weight. On the other hand, my cholesterol is high (although the ratios are okay). And I refuse to take statins since they can induce diabetes (!), so I figure that's not a good idea.

So no, not everybody will do well with this - but I do. And that's the one thing nobody here ever talks about - EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US IS DIFFERENT, and what works for one won't work for another. That being said, eating a white flour bagel for breakfast is pretty poor for just about anybody. You may lose weight, but you're not doing your body any long-term favors with that kind of empty sugar calories. (Yes, your body sees it as sugar)

No. If EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US IS DIFFERENT, why are you concerned that statins could bring on diabetes? Doesn't that imply you believe the basis for medical science, which is that every single one of us is basically the same?

Sort of contradictory there. Emotionally, you want to be special and you want the false equivalence that seems to replace tolerance in our society. But when it comes down to it, you aren't willing to truly apply that assumption to your own health.

I'm not diabetic, but I certainly remember being told that eating plenty if fat is a good way to help stabilize blood sugar. I bet if we ask your doctor, he or she would agree, because your doctor probably understands there a only three macronutrients to choose from.