This picture really annoyed me.

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    For those of you who don't know who the "lazy, gluttonous" girl is or why she'd put a picture of herself in a bikini on the internet, here you go:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20641516,00.html

Her name is Stella Boonshoft, she has PCOS and writes a fat acceptance blog.

^ This

Plus, placing her photo next to the fit couple makes it look like she advocates being unhealthy and not doing exercise. Fat acceptance isn't the same thing as being lazy, and her opinion on the athletic bodies may even be pretty positive...

I wish people would stop using their ailments as an excuse. There are PLENTY of people with PLENTY of ailments that can still be healthy.

i have Indiscriminate Eating Disorder (IED). i eat whatever foods i want to eat. don't judge me. :angry:

I suffer from that too. I guess it's time to just accept what I am and give up trying to achieve something better. Then everyone can give me wonderful encouragement to remain as I am despite the fact that it will likely lead to future health problems, pain and a shortened lifespan.

Was that too much?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

I wish people would stop using their ailments as an excuse. There are PLENTY of people with PLENTY of ailments that can still be healthy.

tumblr_lxx34qyLCD1r22t2go1_400.gif

I wish I had a million dollars!

hot dog!
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Speaking of lazy and gluttonous....

I've been on the internet for hours and I'm eating a box of cookies.

I think I should start a "not having a life acceptance" blog
    Thanks for the reminder. It's about time for me to get off my rear end anyway. Things to do, ya know. :happy:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    For those of you who don't know who the "lazy, gluttonous" girl is or why she'd put a picture of herself in a bikini on the internet, here you go:

^ This

Plus, placing her photo next to the fit couple makes it look like she advocates being unhealthy and not doing exercise. Fat acceptance isn't the same thing as being lazy, and her opinion on the athletic bodies may even be pretty positive...

"Fat acceptance". What exactly is she promoting? That people just not make any effort to maintain their health or to at the very least try to cushion the blow of their medical condition? I understand that there actually are many who have medical problems that have presented a huge challenge for the sufferer. But that does not mean a person cant make an effort, and it does not mean that the rest of us have to "accept" being fat ourselves. It is fat acceptance that keeps America in an obesity epidemic. I don't think that people should attack others as they most often do, but at the same time if someone doesn't swoon at the sight of an overweight person that person should also understand that we all have our preferences.

welp. i guess someone has no idea what fat acceptance actually is.

And then I was all like:

head-bang-o.gif
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

^ This

"Fat acceptance". What exactly is she promoting? That people just not make any effort to maintain their health or to at the very least try to cushion the blow of their medical condition? I understand that there actually are many who have medical problems that have presented a huge challenge for the sufferer. But that does not mean a person cant make an effort, and it does not mean that the rest of us have to "accept" being fat ourselves. It is fat acceptance that keeps America in an obesity epidemic. I don't think that people should attack others as they most often do, but at the same time if someone doesn't swoon at the sight of an overweight person that person should also understand that we all have our preferences.

Fat acceptance is not demonising and mocking a person just because they are fat. That is it. Not the definition you just provided.

isn't that already covered by "Being a Decent Human Being"?

i think the term "fat acceptance" implies more than that because the 2 words in the name imply more than that.

"isn't that already covered by "Being a Decent Human Being"?" Well, you'd think so, wouldn't you?

Then you're giving it your own definition and not the one established by an actual movement of people trying to make a difference.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I'm in!
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

^ This

i have Indiscriminate Eating Disorder (IED). i eat whatever foods i want to eat. don't judge me. :angry:

I suffer from that too. I guess it's time to just accept what I am and give up trying to achieve something better. Then everyone can give me wonderful encouragement to remain as I am despite the fact that it will likely lead to future health problems, pain and a shortened lifespan.

Was that too much?

it's such a satisfying suffering though. :wink:

i eat whatever i want, however i try not to eat too much of it. sometimes i fail (pizza, you magnificent *kitten*! i blame you!), but mostly not. even when i fail, i know i can make up for it on the following day or two. it's the beauty of understanding IIFYM and not succumbing to silly ideas about what you can and cannot eat.
  • peachfigs
    Options

I'm in!

Me too. I've been eating crisps the whole time.
  • brower47
    Options

^ This

They should change the name then because it's EXTREMELY misleading and will only lead to more and more people getting the wrong idea.

Poorly worded movement is poorly worded.

It should be the "Stop being a d**khole about my weight because it's none of your business" movement. Wordy? Yes. But much more accurate.
  • brower47
    Options

^ This

Was that too much?

it's such a satisfying suffering though. :wink:

i eat whatever i want, however i try not to eat too much of it. sometimes i fail (pizza, you magnificent *kitten*! i blame you!), but mostly not. even when i fail, i know i can make up for it on the following day or two. it's the beauty of understanding IIFYM and not succumbing to silly ideas about what you can and cannot eat.

:flowerforyou: I'm a fan of IIFYM too! :flowerforyou:
  • peachfigs
    Options

^ This

They should change the name then because it's EXTREMELY misleading and will only lead to more and more people getting the wrong idea.

It should be the "Stop being a d**khole about my weight because it's none of your business" movement. Wordy? Yes. But much more accurate.

I think the reason people get confused is because they associate fat with being unhealthy, lazy, etc.

When you take away those judgemental elements, the phrase 'fat acceptance' is actually very simple to understand.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    omg im so angry after seeing that.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

^ This

Yes, I KNOW what fat acceptance is. But why do people who think that big is beautiful, get their panties in a twist when someone else doesn't think so? You cannot force people to accept what they don't like period. This seems to be the popular way on every similar controversy. You just can't force people to accept what you want them to accept. Further, It is not often I hear an active fat person complain about fat acceptance. It is usually the fat lazy person doing the complaining.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to learn more about Thumper's father's rules and how they apply to adults...

...and to read past page 1 later (as if this thread will still be here later).
  • brower47
    Options

^ This

I think the reason people get confused is because they associate fat with being unhealthy, lazy, etc.

When you take away those judgemental elements, the phrase 'fat acceptance' is actually very simple to understand.

But that's just it, the word acceptance is the sticking point for most people. You accept things you can't change. This gives people the impression that anyone who's a part "fat acceptance" movement, aren't planning on ever attempting to change. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the movement's purpose, just the fact that the name will always give people on the outside a very negative impression. It's self defeating.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

^ This

Fat acceptance is not demonising and mocking a person just because they are fat. That is it. Not the definition you just provided.

isn't that already covered by "Being a Decent Human Being"?

i think the term "fat acceptance" implies more than that because the 2 words in the name imply more than that.

Also, "isn't that already covered by "Being a Decent Human Being"?" Well, you'd think so, wouldn't you?

Then you're giving it your own definition and not the one established by an actual movement of people trying to make a difference.

i didn't define it. i just said that the words "fat acceptance" imply acceptance, which is quite a bit more than tolerance.

i tolerate the jerks. i basically ignore and avoid them. but to accept jerks, i'd have to go out of my way to pat them on the back and applaud them for being jerks.

this is the misunderstanding i am having with the name "fat acceptance" and what it seems to mean vs. what it actually means.

just for the record, i don't think people are bad because they are fat. heck, i'm fat right now. but i am trying to not be fat. if somebody walked up to me and told me that it was ok and i should stop trying to lose this weight and get healthy and fit and that staying where i am is a perfectly acceptable weight to spend the rest of my life, my first thought would be, "why does this jerk want me to die 20 years earlier than i should?". then i'd laugh in his face (politely of course, because i'm not a jerk).

i can accept people for who they are. however fat is an adjective and we can all change our adjectives. i don't accept people who refuse to acknowledge that being fat is not a good thing. my definition of fat is pretty loose too. there are lots of people who are listed as overweight by their BMI number that i think are fine where they are. but if you're in the morbidly obese range (like me) you should NOT want to stay there.
  • peachfigs
    Options

Yes, I KNOW what fat acceptance is. But why do people who think that big is beautiful, get their panties in a twist when someone else doesn't think so? You cannot force people to accept what they don't like period. This seems to be the popular way on every similar controversy. You just can't force people to accept what you want them to accept.

The same reason that ripped bodybuilders get their panties in a twist when someone else doesn't think so? :laugh:

Fat acceptance isn't about forcing you to admire fat peoples' bodies, it's just about advocating being non-judgemental. :flowerforyou:
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have been on both sides. I was very obese to start with and now i am fit and healthy. I am not heavily muscled like the girl in the first pic but i will get there one day. The thing I noticed in losing weight is that, yes I was made fun of for being fat but it wasn't anything like the nasty comments I recieve now. An ex-friend of mine seems to take pleasure in telling me I am no longer a "real woman", she also likes to tell others I eat like a bird and probably have no life because I stay in the gym all the time. LOL NO, this is the first time I have been able to live any kind of life. If I were to point out that she was overweight I would be a horrible evil person. I believe fat acceptance is a dangerous mentality when taken to the extreme.

I guess I am saying it looks to me like people assume thin people should be ok with nasty comments but we should be nothing but supportive to those who are overweight. the world is a strange place and I will admit I dont understand most people at all.

As for the headline I feel it was rather irrelevant. Looking at the comments the bigger girl got mostly praise for her fat and proud pic without anyone knowing her back story, while the other couple's hard work was ignored so that people could tell them how disgusting they were. It makes no sense to me.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    [img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7qn8lljCs1rrmergo1_400.gif[/quote] And to whoever brought up genetics in this thread, please stop. Outside of legit medical conditions hard work will triumph over poor genetics every.single.time. It's the worst excuse going[/img]
  • peachfigs
    Options

i didn't define it. i just said that the word "fat acceptance" imply acceptance, which quite a bit more than tolerance.

i tolerate the jerks. i basically ignore and avoid them. but to accept jerks, i'd have to go out of my way to pat them on the back and applaud them for being jerks.

this is the misunderstanding i am having with the name "fat acceptance" and what it seems to mean vs. what it actually means.

just for the record, i don't think people are bad because they are fat. heck, i'm fat right now. but i am trying to not be fat. if somebody walked up to me and told me that it was ok and i should stop trying to lose this weight and get healthy and fit and that staying where i am is a perfectly acceptable weight to spend the rest of my life, my first thought would be, "why does this jerk want me to die 20 years earlier than i should?". then i'd laugh in his face (politely of course, because i'm not a jerk).

i can accept people for who they are. however fat is an adjective and we can all change our adjectives. i don't accept people who refuse to acknowledge that being fat is not a good thing. my definition of fat is pretty loose too. there are lots of people who are listed as overweight by their BMI number that i think are fine where they are. but if you're in the morbidly obese range (like me) you should NOT want to stay there.

I do get where you're coming from, but I prefer to just look after myself and my own body. If someone is happy with being very fat and has no desire to change, that's none of my business.
This discussion has been closed.