Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options

Replies

• MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Exactly, if they could afford it a lot of people would do a lot of preventive procedures but they couldn't. In her case I think she did coz she could afford and she did come out with it because being a celebrity its better that way instead of the press finding it later. Nothing to applaud here, IMO.

you say this like she has something to be ashamed of.

there is nothing shameful about having a preventative mastectomy to reduce your risk of cancer. famous or not, it's a full-on thing to take in, and no easy decision.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine this to be one of the most difficult decisions any woman would have to make and I think she just set a fabulous example of health over vanity. I applaud her, as well.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I often wondered about this.... if a woman carries the gene for breast cancer, and you decide to have your breasts removed as a preventative measure....isn’t there a stronger likelihood of the cancer just going somewhere else in your body?

I’m not saying I disagree with her decision, and don’t know if I would or wouldn’t do the same in her situation…but just wondered if the cancer is just going to manifest itself somewhere else instead...
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.
    ...............wow. She gives so much back and it's not unethical to be wealthy. I bet if she could have paid money to NOT to opt OUT. She is admirable. She chooses to put her children before everything and reduce her risk, despite the impact it will have on her life. Being selfless is admirable.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I know too many women that simply believed in God and stayed faithfull to his word and were healed of multiple types of cancer for me to think this is admirable in any way or even the right choice. I's choose God's healing grace anyday before I choose to go under the knife just becuz I COULD get it not even ACTUALLY having it. This is just craziness but thats expected from Ms. Jolie.

My aunt chose this path as well. She died when she was 45. I miss her everyday.

I would say I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt my truth is she is probably looking down on us feeling sorry that we can't be there with here celebrating our Lord with street made of gold. She made that right choice bcuz even if she had made the choice to have surgery there is no way to know if she would still be here. She put her lifeis God's hands and felt it was time for suffering to be over and now she gets to spend everyday with him free from paind and strife and struggle. Don't get me wrong I've known women to die from this too and yes it hurts bcuz we want our loved ones here with us but really its a selfish nature thats makes us feel that way even if it is a loving kind of selfish...the best choice a person can ever make is to have faith and trust God completely even when its hard....that was the real point I was making.

Yea. I know too many women who actually died from such foolishness. You may want to follow the forum rules and keep your religion to yourself. This is a thread about a disease and medical procedures to address it.

I will say that I don't know who your God is but mine doesn't expect us to reject using the brains and science he blessed us with.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I'm not Angelina Jolie, but here's my story:

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 months after I turned 37. Everything happened very quickly and ten days after my diagnosis I had a lumpectomy. I was extremely lucky and my breast cancer was Stage 0 (DCIS) and was non-invasive and contained in the ducts.

Following my lumpectomy, but before my radiation therapy, I was given the BRCA test because my father's sister was also a breast cancer survivor. I tested positive for the BRCA II gene.

Six months after I completed my radiation I got pregnant with my post cancer miracle baby (today is his 1st birthday)...I am currently in the process of preparing for a double mastectomy with reconstruction. Not only are my chances of reoccurrence very high but I was not a candidate for tamoxifen because I also carry the Factor V gene (blood clots). Living in fear of cancer returning is not fun and although I was very lucky with my first diagnosis, I may not be so lucky in the future. I have 3 beautiful boys that I need to be here for and if that means heading back to the OR then that's what I'm going to do.

Good Luck . x

Thank you :smile:

I'm extremely nervous but I know that it's absolutely the right thing to do. They will test my boys for the gene when they reach their teenage years (my great grandfather had breast cancer)

I wish you huge success, and a speedy recovery!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I know too many women that simply believed in God and stayed faithfull to his word and were healed of multiple types of cancer for me to think this is admirable in any way or even the right choice. I's choose God's healing grace anyday before I choose to go under the knife just becuz I COULD get it not even ACTUALLY having it. This is just craziness but thats expected from Ms. Jolie.
    Anecdotal. From this it just sounds like faith in god with no treatments heal cancer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.

If you have a long history of Breast/Ovarian cancer in your family, insurance DOES cover getting tested for the BRCA1 gene. AND it also covered if you test (+) for it and go through what she did. Do your research before you decide to bash people just because they are famous/wealthy. What she and others I know did was brave.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

100% agreed. i would hav more respect for her if she paid for another woman, who had cancer, to get reconstruction.

Why do people feel that wealthy people who earned their own money should owe anything to people less off? But regardless, she worked hard for her money and she does gives back, all the time. She's quite the humanitarian. Where have you been?

Thank you! UGH It pisses me off that people feel like they are owed something. If Angelina Jolie was just another average Joe like us people would think she is amazing. Lay off, people!
  • Danieboo757
    Danieboo757 Posts: 43
    Options

I would say I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt my truth is she is probably looking down on us feeling sorry that we can't be there with here celebrating our Lord with street made of gold. She made that right choice bcuz even if she had made the choice to have surgery there is no way to know if she would still be here. She put her lifeis God's hands and felt it was time for suffering to be over and now she gets to spend everyday with him free from paind and strife and struggle. Don't get me wrong I've known women to die from this too and yes it hurts bcuz we want our loved ones here with us but really its a selfish nature thats makes us feel that way even if it is a loving kind of selfish...the best choice a person can ever make is to have faith and trust God completely even when its hard....that was the real point I was making.

Yea. I know too many women who actually died from such foolishness. You may want to follow the forum rules and keep your religion to yourself. This is a thread about a disease and medical procedures to address it.

I will say that I don't know who your God is but mine doesn't expect us to reject using the brains and science he blessed us with.

If I offended you by my Faith you could have ignored it...I wont apologize tho because He has been too good to me. And by the way the He that I refer to is the one and only true living God. I call him Jehovah Ropha which means God who heals.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Who could've lived if they trusted in modern science over a fictional man on a cloud.
  • MissSusieQ
    Options

Pray to God but swim for shore. He has given medical professionals the knowledge to help us in our times of need, but we have to be willing to accept it. His help doesn't always look how you expect it to.

a man was stuck on the roof of his house in a terrible flood. as the water reached his knees, a boat came past. the man in the boat called out 'climb aboard', but the man replied 'I'm fine, God will save me', so the boat left.
    the water continued to rise, and when it had reached his waist, another boat came past. 'Climb aboard' shouted the man in the boat, but the man on the roof was calm and replied 'I'm fine. God will save me', so again, the boat left.
    the water rose and rose, and was soon at the man's chin. suddenly, a helicopter was hovering overhead. The pilot dropped a rope to the man, and shouted 'grab on or you'll drown', but a third time the man waved him away and replied that God would save him, so the helicopter left.
    the water continued to rise, and the man soon drowned. when he arrived in heaven, he said to God 'I have loved and trusted you my whole life, why didn't you save me?' and God replied 'I sent you two boats and a helicopter!'
  • Danieboo757
    Options
    Anecdotal. From this it just sounds like faith in god with no treatments heal cancer.

IDEA Fitness member

I do know women that have had no treatment including surgery that have been healed of cancer amongst other illnesses.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I often wondered about this.... if a woman carries the gene for breast cancer, and you decide to have your breasts removed as a preventative measure....isn’t there a stronger likelihood of the cancer just going somewhere else in your body?

I’m not saying I disagree with her decision, and don’t know if I would or wouldn’t do the same in her situation…but just wondered if the cancer is just going to manifest itself somewhere else instead...

With breasts = 87% chance of cancer
    Without breasts = 5% chance of cancer
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

and who inspires those scientific finds? who gives us scientists who were smart enough to figure this out?

maybe, sometimes, your god would like you to take courageous action instead of sitting back and waiting for him to fix it all, then put it down to his plan when you don't get spoon fed?
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree... but at the same time, she has the means to do it and get reconstruction right away. Since it is an elective surgery not covered by insurance, most women won't be able to follow suit.

I would do it in a heart beat, and end up with better boobs.. hell yeah.. but I couldn't afford it or the time off of work to recover or the childcare/household help I would need.

This...even though it's amazing that she made such a brave choice, she does have the means to fix it and visually not have much of a change. Most insurance companies don't cover reconstructive/cosmetic surgery. It can be damaging to one's self esteem and self perception.

Again, if it's medically necessary or if you're in a situation like this where you know you're changing your risk significantly, it's appropriate and probably recommended...but her brave choice seems a little less so when you know she can have it fixed almost immediately.

Insurance companies are required by law to provide reconstruction to mastectomy patients. Not only are they required, they must cover any future revisions.
  • MissSusieQ
    Options
    Ps. sorry for all the talk of the G-man. I'm not actually religious, just trying to respond to the religious posters in a manner that they might hear.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I do know women that have had no treatment including surgery that have been healed of cancer amongst other illnesses.

^^ maybe get off MFP , stop exercising and just pray to lose weight .
  • Danieboo757
    Options

Pray to God but swim for shore. He has given medical professionals the knowledge to help us in our times of need, but we have to be willing to accept it. His help doesn't always look how you expect it to.

a man was stuck on the roof of his house in a terrible flood. as the water reached his knees, a boat came past. the man in the boat called out 'climb aboard', but the man replied 'I'm fine, God will save me', so the boat left.
    the water continued to rise, and when it had reached his waist, another boat came past. 'Climb aboard' shouted the man in the boat, but the man on the roof was calm and replied 'I'm fine. God will save me', so again, the boat left.
    the water rose and rose, and was soon at the man's chin. suddenly, a helicopter was hovering overhead. The pilot dropped a rope to the man, and shouted 'grab on or you'll drown', but a third time the man waved him away and replied that God would save him, so the helicopter left.
    the water continued to rise, and the man soon drowned. when he arrived in heaven, he said to God 'I have loved and trusted you my whole life, why didn't you save me?' and God replied 'I sent you two boats and a helicopter!'

I didnt say medicine was the devil my only point was that sometimes people get so caught up in the medicine that they forget who is the healer much like the man on the roof forgot who was his provider and that He often comes to us in ways we dont expect. ppl have to remember faith or not God also gave us common sence that he fully intended for us to use.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    claiming cures for cancer that have never been proven is illegal in the uk.

i like that law. i like that law a lot. it's far too easy to prey, indeed pray, on fear.