Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
I read this at work this morning because it was "cancer" related and my Wellness Center is an accredited cancer hospital. Let me just say that I applaud Angelina Jolie for doing something that seems unfathomable for a female with no sign of breast cancer to do...........................work on prevention by having the mastectomies. The procedure takes her from an 87% chance for breast cancer to now a less than 5% chance.
It's important because we're talking about one of the most recognized beautiful women on Earth (IMO) and lots of females aspire to be like her. For her to choose health and life over looks and vanity, which is a Hollywood staple and envied by many, is a step in the right direction. She did admit it was a hard decision, but nonetheless she chose the right route IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Boobs or no boobs, she is still an amazing person imho and very beautiful. I probably would have done the same if I were in her situation and I had the money for it.

Plus, I have a friend that has Stage 3 breast cancer right now and she is my age, 26. So kinda hits close to home in a way.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I found it somewhat funny that she identified her partner by name. We know who he is.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree... but at the same time, she has the means to do it and get reconstruction right away. Since it is an elective surgery not covered by insurance, most women won't be able to follow suit.

I would do it in a heart beat, and end up with better boobs.. hell yeah.. but I couldn't afford it or the time off of work to recover or the childcare/household help I would need.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    And then there's people like this who make me question my faith in humanity--> http://cocojigglypuff.tumblr.com/post/50433917944/sad-teeth-so-today-angelina-jolie-had-double
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Apparently the Caner Act of 1998 states that insurance companies have to cover reconstruction if they cover the mastectomy.

And I think a lot of companies will cover an elective mastectomy if you test positive for the jean as it'd save them a lot of money compared to treating the breast cancer (I don't have any facts for this, just friends saying their friends were covered).

http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/PreventiveSurgery.html

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topic/758309
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.

I don't believe she did this for your admiration. :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Breasts aren't needed to sustain life. She could have done alternative therapies, but chose mastectomy. And some insurance companies do cover preventive surgery options.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options

^QFT. also, many non-celebrities, aka regular women, with the BRCA genes are doing this now. yes, it may be radical, but it is their choice, and if it decreases the chances of getting breast cancer, then more power to them.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Meh.
    There are thousands of women that do this ever year...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

OR if you get rid of the bitterness in your life, you could see that it reminds people that celebrities are still human and that she had the courage to go through with a surgery that would possibly question her "femininity", as breasts are pretty much associated with being feminine. If I had the cash to "return to my fabulous" self after doing something like that, I would too. Are you saying she shouldn't have because it's not fair to other people who aren't as wealthy? Do you resent all wealthy people just because you don't have the money they do?

Also, she put her children first and went through several surgeries to better her chances of being around for them longer than what might not have been had she not done the surgeries and developed breast cancer. I think that is commendable.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'd gleefully do what she did if I could afford it.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'd still plow her.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

OR if you get rid of the bitterness in your life, you could see that it reminds people that celebrities are still human and that she had the courage to go through with a surgery that would possibly question her "femininity", as breasts are pretty much associated with being feminine. If I had the cash to "return to my fabulous" self after doing something like that, I would too. Are you saying she shouldn't have because it's not fair to other people who aren't as wealthy? Do you resent all wealthy people just because you don't have the money they do?

Also, she put her children first and went through several surgeries to better her chances of being around for them longer than what might not have been had she not done the surgeries and developed breast cancer. I think that is commendable.
    I love this woman. I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Let me call her and see if she cares what you think....
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^QFT. also, many non-celebrities, aka regular women, with the BRCA genes are doing this now. yes, it may be radical, but it is their choice, and if it decreases the chances of getting breast cancer, then more power to them.

I don't admire her for having the surgery done. That was just smart thinking. I do admire her for taking the time to write about her experience and share it with the world through the NYT. My wife and I read the article this morning, and A.J.'s surgeries and experiences were very similar to what my wife went through, though my wife was diagnosed and had a lumpectomy and chemotherapy done before finally deciding to go ahead with the double mastectomy. She unfortunately has the same gene mutation. We're not exactly celebrity followers but A.J. did, through the NYT, what many women on MFP do regularly, share her experiences with others. I think that does help.

Oh, and editing to add that many insurance coverages do pay for this if the woman has this gene mutation. Ours covered it along with the reconstructive surgery.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Let me call her and see if she cares what you think....

Then text me her number....
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'd actually seen something about this too; her body, her choice.
    The article I read however said that her genetic test probably way over-estimated her actual chance of getting breast cancer.
  • Pinkveg13
    Pinkveg13 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, they have to cover the masectomy and reconstruction. I should know going through this now at 36 yrs old.. so there is no excuse not to get checked and to do what you need to do to stay healthy, because as long as you have insurance it will be covered. I also believe that in some cases elective is covered if you have the gene.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

I don't admire her for having the surgery done. That was just smart thinking. I do admire her for taking the time to write about her experience and share it with the world through the NYT. My wife and I read the article this morning, and A.J.'s surgeries and experiences were very similar to what my wife went through, though my wife was diagnosed and had a lumpectomy and chemotherapy done before finally deciding to go ahead with the double mastectomy. She unfortunately has the same gene mutation. We're not exactly celebrity followers but A.J. did, through the NYT, what many women on MFP do regularly, share her experiences with others. I think that does help.
    And also this.