Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options

Replies

• lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm glad she wrote about her experience. To me, regardless of her celebrity, in this matter she is still a person, dealing with a personal and potentially debilitating problem. I don't see her decision as flashing her wealth, I see it as being pro-active and decisive. She has a mutation for a class of genes, that if she found out she had breast/ ovarian cancer, would radically reduce her life span and treatment options once the disease expressed itself. She essentially made a decision that was affecting her own mortality. A point that I think is being missed. Being that she is an actress and has a ton of public exposure, her writing about her experience, to me is not belittling the process or rubbing everyone else's noses in it, but is actually creating an environment for advocacy, self education, and may give other women the push to make their own personal and private decisions about their lives, cancer or no.

Where other people are choosing to interpret it as a negative, I think of it as a positive. But again, regardless of the interpretation or her public persona having this procedure done is still a very personal one. It's a decision I know if I had to face it, I wouldn't make lightly or flippantly.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I had no idea insurance would cover this surgery. There's still an abysmal amount of women in the US who do not have insurance.

I totally want to get tested for this gene now. Maybe I can be a c cup afterall!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    yes but will getting the surgery ensure she doesn't get colon cancer, liver cancer, brain cancer, lung cancer, thyroid cancer, skin cancer etc.? Seems a bit extreme to go for surgery for something that there is no guarantee she would ever have (unless she has already had a scare or has an unexplained mass which hasn't been leaked to the media).

Of course not, there's no "guarantee." But why not take a positive step that decreases one's chances of getting cancer from nearly 90% down to FIVE percent????

When I was a kid, my father had melanoma (skin cancer) that ultimately metastasized to other areas and he died of a brain tumor when I was 15. You bet your damn *kitten* that I use sunscreen and get regular skin checks as PREVENTION--that's basically what Angelina Jolie did--take a big step toward preventing her getting a horrible disease that she watched her mother die from. Having my regular dermatologist visits doesn't mean I won't get some other form of cancer or possibly get what my father died from, but it's positive steps I can do to take care of myself.

She may be a movie star, but ultimately, she's a human being, and maybe her publicizing her experience will make some other woman feel confident about her decision to have the same procedure. I am amazed at some of the nastiness on this thread. If your sister, wife, mother, daughter, had to make this decision--maybe it would be more relatable. I am sorry for the people who've commented who've gone through this themselves, or have family members who've gone through it--I can imagine what a difficult decision it would be.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm glad she wrote about her experience. To me, regardless of her celebrity, in this matter she is still a person, dealing with a personal and potentially debilitating problem. I don't see her decision as flashing her wealth, I see it as being pro-active and decisive. She has a mutation for a class of genes, that if she found out she had breast/ ovarian cancer, would radically reduce her life span and treatment options once the disease expressed itself. She essentially made a decision that was affecting her own mortality. A point that I think is being missed. Being that she is an actress and has a ton of public exposure, her writing about her experience, to me is not belittling the process or rubbing everyone else's noses in it, but is actually creating an environment for advocacy, self education, and may give other women the push to make their own personal and private decisions about their lives, cancer or no.

Where other people are choosing to interpret it as a negative, I think of it as a positive. But again, regardless of the interpretation or her public persona having this procedure done is still a very personal one. It's a decision I know if I had to face it, I wouldn't make lightly or flippantly.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i think it is truly awesome. you have the kardashians advocating tanning. and angelina doing preventative surgery to prevent cancer. i really think it is amazing that she isn't hanging onto those badboys with all her vanity. her health comes first, i admire that!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    So a rich person was able to get her tits removed and buy new ones, and we should applaud her because.. It will just go along with every other fake part of her body. This is a woman who has 2 nannies for every kid.
    Garlic is starting to affect your brain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    For me, it just shows how awesome humans are. We can prescreen for possible disease, remove the offending possible death bits and then replace them a decent facsimile of the original. I love innovation and this is an excellent example of it.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    People cope in different ways. Maybe this was her way of coping. Maybe attempting to take a negative situation and turn it into something positive makes it easier for her to deal with. Making the decision to have a mastectomy is not something one does lightly. It's a very difficult decision. If it's one that you've never had to make, then how can you really have an opinion on the matter? You don't know what you'd do until you're in that situation. Hearing people talk about these kinds of things, I always thought I knew what I'd do. But when I was faced with that decision it was a struggle. And 4 years later I'm still not sure I made the right choice.

I get what a lot of people are saying, that she somehow used her celebrity status to bring attention to herself. Did she? I don't know. I'm not her. Did she raise awareness of the issue by coming forward? Probably. Is that a bad thing? No. If she hadn't come forward and the information had been found out at a later time, would that really have mattered or had a negative impact on her? I don't see how. Do I consider her brave or do I admire her for coming forward? Not really. She's just like thousands of other women who are faced with a medical issue that stongly impacts their health and she made a decision on how to deal with it for her. The only difference is that she has a higher profile than most. She can choose to talk about it or not. I don't see why opting to do so makes her brave. There are many other professions where women might theoretically 'pay a cost' for having come forth with this kind of information. I wouldn't consider them brave either. It's just a fact of life that sadly, far too many women have to deal with.

The only thing that has bothered me about all this is the amount of attention it's garnering. There are a lot of goings on in this world right now that deserve to be on the forefront, demanding our immediate attention. This really isn't one of them.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

The only thing that has bothered me about all this is the amount of attention it's garnering. There are a lot of goings on in this world right now that deserve to be on the forefront, demanding our immediate attention. This really isn't one of them.

The attention this is garnering is the best thing about this. Good Lord. This IS important. You don't think so? Tell that to the people with stage 4 Cancer. I have to leave this thread. *smh*
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

On what planet is cancer not important?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I promise, I am not trolling. I don't wish cancer on anyone. I had an aunt who died as a result of breast cancer. So I hope you don't cast me as a huge villain when I ask this: Who is UNAWARE of cancer, these days? How does wearing a colored ribbon help, in any measurable way? How does the info that a certain actress has had a procedure going to do ANYTHING at all to fight against that disease?

It isn't. Angelina beat the reporters to the punch. As with any woman who makes the decision to undergo a double mastectomy, I don't take lightly the gravity and difficulty of that decision. But I DO take her "big reveal" to the press with a big grain of salt. For this reason: If she tells the world, she's applauded for her bravery, she gets to be a saint. If she had tried to keep her medical history to herself, (like she should have a right to do,) the media WILL dig it up and people will stand in line to purchase the tabloid who got the "big story".

It seems like damage control to me.

Honestly I never thought to get checked for this until I saw this post, and I will be speaking to my doctor about it as I have a family history. So I suppose she brought "awareness" to me (and thousands of others I'm sure). It's not that people are not aware of cancer, it's just not something we tend to think about on a day to day basis.

And I'm just curious, what type of damage is she trying to control?

I was aware of cancer, and breast cancer, I know a whole lot of people affected by it. I knew that having people in your family with the disease increased your risks. I had no idea there was a genetic screening for the gene, or that having that gene posed that much of a risk. I have never heard of anyone having a voluntary mascetomy for this reason.

So yeah, you can count me as aware now as well.

I also don't see the damage control. In fact, if media outed her, it would probably be more effective for her as people would be outraged at the violation of her privacy on such a personal issue. It would probably be an even bigger story.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

The attention this is garnering is the best thing about this. Good Lord. This IS important. You don't think so? Tell that to the people with stage 4 Cancer. I have to leave this thread. *smh*

This... the more people are aware, the better, period.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree... but at the same time, she has the means to do it and get reconstruction right away. Since it is an elective surgery not covered by insurance, most women won't be able to follow suit.

I would do it in a heart beat, and end up with better boobs.. hell yeah.. but I couldn't afford it or the time off of work to recover or the childcare/household help I would need.

My sister had this surgery done just before Christmas in one shot. Both breasts removed, implants put in. She's had a series of complications that are apparently genetic (and likely to happen to any other members of her family that have the same surgeries), and requires two more surgeries to fix the issues.

Move to Canada. Ontario Hospital Insurance Program (OHIP) is COVERING the costs of ALL of her surgeries because our Mother died of Breast Cancer in 2005.

Once I have my children, I will be following her lead, genetic complications or no genetic complications.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I went through this exact scenario with my ex-wife some years ago. I will say, regardless of how much I loathe my ex-wife I would never wish this on anyone.

What I saw her go through at the time of the surgery and in the year to follow was tremendously difficult. She struggled with questioning if she made the right choice. She questioned, "Without breasts am I really even a woman anymore?" Giving up one's breasts is not something anyone could can stand alone through.

I deeply and truly applaud her for making the difficult choice. I also bow down to Brad Pitt for being understanding and for being by her side in the trials ahead. It's a rough road... Their children are lucky to have such selfless parents in an otherwise vain world (Hollywood).
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

I didn't say the subject matter wasn't important. I said the arguing over what Angelina Jolie's intentions were, isn't important. Debating the fact of was she, or was she not brave to go public, isn't important. My apologies on that front if I didn't make that clear.

And before you get your knickers in too much of a twist, I am a cancer survivor. I've had a front seat on that roller coaster ride.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I found it somewhat funny that she identified her partner by name. We know who he is.

lol, I was thinking the same thing..."my partner...Brad Pitt" haha
  • Kst76
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.

My husband said the same thing. I guess admire is a strong word. I totally understand why she is doing it. I would go into debt to do the same thing if my diagnosis where the same.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    thousands of women have to have it done every day. where's their applause and admiration?
    I'm sure they get it from people who are important to them. I'm also sure they give back and are appreciated.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

My sister had this surgery. She & I are about as close as that one-armed surfer chick & the shark that bit her. (Me being the surfer girl: my sister's quite opinionated and unapologetic). I wish she was in this forum actually.... but that's another matter.

My sister DID get applause and admiration from our family. She went under a knife... she went under general anesthesia (which has its own risks)... and she woke up with complications... problems... and more surgeries on the horizon.

It's not about having the best surgeon. It's not about having the most expensive reconstructive surgery. It's about being ALIVE to raise your children. My sister said it best:

"OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance) looked at, and compared the costs of:

1) The double mastectomy & reconstruction, even assuming complications.

Weighed against:

2) I find the cancer. Have a biopsy. Have multiple scans. Have emergency surgery. Have NO complications... have 3 rounds of chemotherapy (the average) plus radiation therapy. Then I die. My husband and two small children suddenly have a need for therapy. My husband must work, so he must send the children to daycare. He doesn't have time to devote as much attention to them and they are raised by strangers. When they get older, they start acting out (***this is assumed because losing your mother is central to who you are, even as a child. Having lost my mother, I am aware that this has had a serious impact on my life: grief has caused me to lose about 10 years of my life to weight problems, anger issues, insomnia, and other health related problems***), having trouble with drugs, or alcohol... requiring rehab treatments, or self esteem issues, or worse yet: weight problems... high blood pressure from stress... etc.

OHIP weighs the cost of "let's just fix a mom" against the cost of lengthy treatment, and the damage that could be inflicted on her familiy if she dies (and the cost to OHIP of coping with that too!) and they just freakin' pay for the mastectomy & reconstruction.

I'm sure a lot of insurance programs will look at this the same way... I believe that if women from other countries check into this, they will be surprised how many insurance companies will cover the surgery.

I wish the best of luck to all women who either do, or do not elect to have a preventative surgery such as this one. It's not only a HUGE decision, but an intensely personal one. People SHOULD applaud them...

But I do think that by releasing the information to the general public the way that Angelina has released it has allowed her the peace of mind of not having iPhone pictures of her coming out of anestetic sold to the highest bidder... speculations on whether she's had implants or "just" a breast lift spread across tabloids.

Angelina has ALWAYS used her position as a celebrity to do good things for the general public, and as such has been given a position as Goodwill Ambassador for the UN. This is someone who has her heart squarely in the right place (screw that she stole another woman's husband... she couldn't have stolen him if he didn't want to BE stolen: she is NOT a bad person... just HUMAN like the rest of us!!).
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    anything for headlines in her failing career:)

Right, cause she and her husband clearly are running out of money... :noway:
    or attention :laugh:

It's why you're posting, right? For the attention?

Go away.
  • Kst76
    Options
    I kinda agree... but at the same time, she has the means to do it and get reconstruction right away. Since it is an elective surgery not covered by insurance, most women won't be able to follow suit.

I would do it in a heart beat, and end up with better boobs.. hell yeah.. but I couldn't afford it or the time off of work to recover or the childcare/household help I would need.

My sister had this surgery done just before Christmas in one shot. Both breasts removed, implants put in. She's had a series of complications that are apparently genetic (and likely to happen to any other members of her family that have the same surgeries), and requires two more surgeries to fix the issues.

Move to Canada. Ontario Hospital Insurance Program (OHIP) is COVERING the costs of ALL of her surgeries because our Mother died of Breast Cancer in 2005.

Once I have my children, I will be following her lead, genetic complications or no genetic complications.

Good for you...I guess :)
    I mean, good that you made that decision. Its important that you are around for your children.