Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    anything for headlines in her failing career:)

Right, cause she and her husband clearly are running out of money... :noway:
    or attention :laugh:

It's why you're posting, right? For the attention?

Go away.

He's the boy that wants to weigh 68 pounds. He'll disappear soon! :laugh:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Meh.
    There are thousands of women that do this ever year...

:flowerforyou: This :flowerforyou:

Just cause she is 'famous' does not make her better for doing it.
  • ThoseLittleCats
    Options

Go away.
    u old enough to be my momz, u go away :|
  • ThoseLittleCats
    Options

Go away.

He's the boy that wants to weigh 68 pounds. He'll disappear soon! :laugh:

where r ur nipplez?? :sick:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Meh.

I don't think anyone said she is better for doing it.
    She is using her fame to bring awareness, not just to her but to all the women who have to face this and to the disease.
    Not to mention the whole "sex symbol" thing.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Meh.

Yet another person with reading comprehension problems. You're missing the point entirely.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Go away.
    u old enough to be my momz, u go away :|

3YhSY3C.gif
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of feet of intestine removed because of a strong chance of cancer, so.....................
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Meh.

She is using her fame to bring awareness, not just to her but to all the women who have to face this and to the disease.

Bringing awareness that this test even exists is a big deal. Most women don't know it exists. Most women who have a significant family history don't know they can push for coverage with their insurers. Most women don't know that if they have this gene, their insurers very likely could cover part or all of the costs of the surgery.

Depending on how the US Supreme Court rules on the issue of whether a human gene can be patented, other labs may soon be able to also test for BRAC 1 and 2 genes (and all of the variations to them) and maybe save even more lives. If Myriad is no longer the only game in the business, then the cost of this test will drop dramatically, making it available to many more women.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Meh.

Bringing awareness that this test even exists is a big deal. Most women don't know it exists. Most women who have a significant family history don't know they can push for coverage with their insurers. Most women don't know that if they have this gene, their insurers very likely could cover part or all of the costs of the surgery.

Depending on how the US Supreme Court rules on the issue of whether a human gene can be patented, other labs may soon be able to also test for BRAC 1 and 2 genes (and all of the variations to them) and maybe save even more lives. If Myriad is no longer the only game in the business, then the cost of this test will drop dramatically, making it available to many more women.

Exactly. Before this thread today, I didn't (i googled the whole story becaise of tbis topic) I'm in Canada so I don't know how it works here but you can be sure I'll find out now.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    thousands of women have to have it done every day. where's their applause and admiration?

This is nothing to do with applause and admiration, it's to do with raising awareness.

Who do you think will do a better job of raising awareness, a normal Mum of 3, or Angelina Jolie?

I promise, I am not trolling. I don't wish cancer on anyone. I had an aunt who died as a result of breast cancer. So I hope you don't cast me as a huge villain when I ask this: Who is UNAWARE of cancer, these days? How does wearing a colored ribbon help, in any measurable way? How does the info that a certain actress has had a procedure going to do ANYTHING at all to fight against that disease?

It isn't. Angelina beat the reporters to the punch. As with any woman who makes the decision to undergo a double mastectomy, I don't take lightly the gravity and difficulty of that decision. But I DO take her "big reveal" to the press with a big grain of salt. For this reason: If she tells the world, she's applauded for her bravery, she gets to be a saint. If she had tried to keep her medical history to herself, (like she should have a right to do,) the media WILL dig it up and people will stand in line to purchase the tabloid who got the "big story".

It seems like damage control to me.

I did not mean raise awareness of cancer - I meant awareness of the defective gene, and therefore advanced warning of the possibilty of having cancer.

Many people I have spoken to today on this issue were unaware of this gene, and the procedure that AJ has undergone.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.

Let me call her and see if she cares what you think....

:drinker:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Some doctor went to bed that night having removed 2 perfectly healthy breasts, all in the name of good science? This will not help my life.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    edited away. basic maths & science is clearly beyond some people.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think this is a good thread and I'm thankful to OP for creating it. Until now, I didn't know a LOT of what's being written here about the gene, double mastectomy, the risk percentages, the insurance coverage, etc. etc. etc. I appreciate this post and am happy to filter through any disagreements for the good information that I have garnered from it. If I think any of it needs sussing out I have my friend google to help with that. No problem.
  • FearAndTrembling
    Options
    She isn't choosing health over vanity. She can have both. She's probably actually getting an upgrade here. She's also had a bunch of other cosmetic surgery.

I was also just reading this:

"But some doctors also expressed worry that her disclosure could be misinterpreted by other women, fueling the trend toward mastectomies that are not medically necessary for many early-stage breast cancers. In recent years, doctors have reported a virtual epidemic of preventive mastectomies among women who have cancer in one breast and decide to remove the healthy one as well, even though they do not have genetic mutations that increase their risk and their odds of a second breast cancer are very low."
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    If you read the article you'd know that insurance pays for the reconstruction as well. It was a great decision. One I would hope I'd have the guts to make.