Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options

Replies

• GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    thousands of women have to have it done every day. where's their applause and admiration?

And thousands more dont get it done because theyre made to feel less of a woman. Shes a sex symbol. By making it public what happened she raises awareness and lets others see that it can be done and youre not less of a woman. If by going public she makes just a few women do it then she deserves praise. Praising her doesnt take away or retract from those womens bravery. Should we give them applause and admiration and not her just because she's Angelina Jolie?
  • KrisDJ67
    KrisDJ67 Posts: 2
    Options
    Brad can cut off his balls. He doesn't need it since he's with her. She got enough balls for both of them. LOL!!! j/k! :p
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    And then there's people like this who make me question my faith in humanity--> http://cocojigglypuff.tumblr.com/post/50433917944/sad-teeth-so-today-angelina-jolie-had-double

wow...i'll join you in the 'questioning humanity' corner.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    thousands of women have to have it done every day. where's their applause and admiration?

This is nothing to do with applause and admiration, it's to do with raising awareness.

Who do you think will do a better job of raising awareness, a normal Mum of 3, or Angelina Jolie?
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.

I agree and disagree with this comment.

Yes she can afford the test that led to her double mastectomy and yes, she also can afford the new rack.

But maybe by speaking out about the cost (and she does do that), and if she continues to speak out about it - some attention will be brought to the subject and maybe, just maybe the rest of us will soon be able to afford these tests and procedures as well. OR maybe they'll soon be covered under insurance, at least the testing part. I have to think it would be cheaper for them (the insurance companies) to do a test to see the chance of cancer, than to treat the cancer.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

And thousands more dont get it done because theyre made to feel less of a woman. Shes a sex symbol. By making it public what happened she raises awareness and lets others see that it can be done and youre not less of a woman. If by going public she makes just a few women do it then she deserves praise. Praising her doesnt take away or retract from those womens bravery. Should we give them applause and admiration and not her just because she's Angelina Jolie?

^ Yes.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

The applause and admiration is for bringing attention to the BRCA1 gene. It's a awful thing to have to live with and it destroys generation after generation. Imagine raising children knowing that they may very well carry the gene that killed other family members? The test for this gene is still very expensive but with more attention that could change and less destructive treatment options may also be developed. I am simply grateful to her for bringing additional attention to this important cause.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Wow at the ignorance and animosity in this thread.

Insurance covers this and very likely would cover the BRAC analysis for someone who's mother died of ovarian cancer. So even I she was poor it would have likely been covered. Mine was covered. I had cancer. It was removed and I was cancer free when I elected to have this same surgery. Idiots who have no idea the pain and fear that goes along with it really shouldn't have an opinion.

So having a gene that says she had almost 90 percent chance of getting one of the most aggressive forms of breast cancer is a big deal. She is a human being with children she loves. BRAC 1 gene is connected I one of the most aggressive and most recurring cancers o the breast. I had an 86% chance of recurrence and a 97% chance o getting cancer in my lifetime. The test is $3000 but if you've lost a mother or sibling the insurance must cover the test.

I hope none of the nasty women and boys who down her about her very tough decision never have to face it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Meh.
    There are thousands of women that do this ever year...
    True. But the reality is that women in Hollywood are envied by lots of other females have followings. Rare that you see a happening like this from Hollywood elite club.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to have an elective mastectomy instead of waiting for cancer to come and get me. My mom is a survivor, her cousin is as well. Did I mention my great aunt on my mother's side? Yeah her too. And my grandmother was an ovarian cancer survivor. Yes I carry the gene. Chances are I'm going to get it.

I just have to wait for cancer to come and get me. Meanwhile, I'll just get my hooters fondled machines, doctors and other randoms I can find. Can never have enough fondling.

ETA: Yes. I have the gene mutation. I've already been through genetic counseling.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people in this thread who are totally missing the point.

It doesn't bloody matter whether you like her personally or not. She is raising awareness and saying, 'You know what, it's okay to have a double mastectomy, it doesn't make you less of a woman.'

If you think for a second that her global profile won't contribute to global awareness of this gene/ this option then you are crazy.

Yes, every woman who makes the choice to have this operation and help to save their own life is a hero. No one is saying they are not.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    You know what, I was pretty butt hurt at some of the comments on this thread.

But then I realized that the people who have made those comments are the same people I saw around posting about 800 calories diets, and using atrocious grammar. People whose only worthy contributions to this community were "lololololol" and "sugar is the devil".

Their opinions don't matter to me.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    I have the gene. I also lost my mother, grandmother and aunt to Breast Cancer. My doctor has advised me to get this done and Im in the process of considering. I think it's amazing that she got this done and went public about it. And if the insurance pays for the removal then they do pay for the reconstruction, its how the laws work for this. Also someone mentioned that her chances of having this were exaggerated in the article. Not true. The percentage is based on having the gene and how many direct relatives have had breast cancer and how bad it was. So with a mother who died of cancer and the gene her chances of cancer were that high. For those of you saying shes seeking attention or a *kitten*.....no words. Shes using her fame to shed light on something that many women are afraid to do and risk cancer because they feel like society would treat them as less of a woman. My own mother got cancer for the second time instead of having the removal because she didnt think she would be a real women with her breasts removed. Angelina got nothing out of this, shes bringing it to light and showing women that you can be a real woman and get this done. Calling her names, saying shes exaggerating or otherwise putting her down for such a decision is ridiculous.

bless you. <3
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    She is not the First to make this choice; she didn't have a lot up top anyway. I guess this is a Pre-disposition move, I PRAY that people do NOT believe that a genetic trait will influence them over their OWN Decision Making...and I Pray, Pray, Pray that Insurance Companies do NOT start DNA(genetic) marking and demanding/requiring that genetic markers be followed over our OWN ability to control certain factors.

You think THIS is a GOOD idea...what if Brad made a decision to CUT off His Testicles based on the Fact that he has a 87% chance of getting Testicular Cancer. Would YOU get YOUR Balls cut...OFF?!

a huge difference between testicles and breast gland and tissue. Hormonally as well. Not even comparable. But yes, some people make that choice as well.

I think his/her original point was to be careful regarding this type of information. We have the genome sequenced, but it's not even close to being completely understood.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I applaud AJ and any woman with the courage to undergo this procedure that undoubtedly affects how people view you. My aunt had breast cancer 30+years ago and a double mastectomy was the only option at that point, reconstruction was not covered by insurance and was not widely available.

She is still with us and her four kids I know are cheering AJ's decision as well!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

It doesn't bloody matter whether you like her personally or not. She is raising awareness and saying, 'You know what, it's okay to have a double mastectomy, it doesn't make you less of a woman.'

If you think for a second that her global profile won't contribute to global awareness of this gene/ this option then you are crazy.

Yes, every woman who makes the choice to have this operation and help to save their own life is a hero. No one is saying they are not.

QFT
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Wow at the ignorance and animosity in this thread.

Insurance covers this and very likely would cover the BRAC analysis for someone who's mother died of ovarian cancer. So even I she was poor it would have likely been covered. Mine was covered. I had cancer. It was removed and I was cancer free when I elected to have this same surgery. Idiots who have no idea the pain and fear that goes along with it really shouldn't have an opinion.

So having a gene that says she had almost 90 percent chance of getting one of the most aggressive forms of breast cancer is a big deal. She is a human being with children she loves. BRAC 1 gene is connected I one of the most aggressive and most recurring cancers o the breast. I had an 86% chance of recurrence and a 97% chance o getting cancer in my lifetime. The test is $3000 but if you've lost a mother or sibling the insurance must cover the test.

I hope none of the nasty women and boys who down her about her very tough decision never have to face it.

:heart:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

This is nothing to do with applause and admiration, it's to do with raising awareness.

Who do you think will do a better job of raising awareness, a normal Mum of 3, or Angelina Jolie?

I promise, I am not trolling. I don't wish cancer on anyone. I had an aunt who died as a result of breast cancer. So I hope you don't cast me as a huge villain when I ask this: Who is UNAWARE of cancer, these days? How does wearing a colored ribbon help, in any measurable way? How does the info that a certain actress has had a procedure going to do ANYTHING at all to fight against that disease?

It isn't. Angelina beat the reporters to the punch. As with any woman who makes the decision to undergo a double mastectomy, I don't take lightly the gravity and difficulty of that decision. But I DO take her "big reveal" to the press with a big grain of salt. For this reason: If she tells the world, she's applauded for her bravery, she gets to be a saint. If she had tried to keep her medical history to herself, (like she should have a right to do,) the media WILL dig it up and people will stand in line to purchase the tabloid who got the "big story".

It seems like damage control to me.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options

and ^^^this^^^ in addition to my earlier comment.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You know what, I was pretty butt hurt at some of the comments on this thread.

But then I realized that the people who have made those comments are the same people I saw around posting about 800 calories diets, and using atrocious grammar. People whose only worthy contributions to this community were "lololololol" and "sugar is the devil".

Their opinions don't matter to me.
    when my kids come home from school with tales of mean & ignorant classmates, i tell them, i always tell them, the world is full of idiots & a-holes and all you can do is the best you can.

this thread reminds me that the i & a crowd grow up (sort of) too.