Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Wow at the ignorance and animosity in this thread.

Insurance covers this and very likely would cover the BRAC analysis for someone who's mother died of ovarian cancer. So even I she was poor it would have likely been covered. Mine was covered. I had cancer. It was removed and I was cancer free when I elected to have this same surgery. Idiots who have no idea the pain and fear that goes along with it really shouldn't have an opinion.

So having a gene that says she had almost 90 percent chance of getting one of the most aggressive forms of breast cancer is a big deal. She is a human being with children she loves. BRAC 1 gene is connected I one of the most aggressive and most recurring cancers o the breast. I had an 86% chance of recurrence and a 97% chance o getting cancer in my lifetime. The test is $3000 but if you've lost a mother or sibling the insurance must cover the test.

I hope none of the nasty women and boys who down her about her very tough decision never have to face it.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    thousands of women have to have it done every day. where's their applause and admiration?

This is nothing to do with applause and admiration, it's to do with raising awareness.

Who do you think will do a better job of raising awareness, a normal Mum of 3, or Angelina Jolie?

I promise, I am not trolling. I don't wish cancer on anyone. I had an aunt who died as a result of breast cancer. So I hope you don't cast me as a huge villain when I ask this: Who is UNAWARE of cancer, these days? How does wearing a colored ribbon help, in any measurable way? How does the info that a certain actress has had a procedure going to do ANYTHING at all to fight against that disease?

It isn't. Angelina beat the reporters to the punch. As with any woman who makes the decision to undergo a double mastectomy, I don't take lightly the gravity and difficulty of that decision. But I DO take her "big reveal" to the press with a big grain of salt. For this reason: If she tells the world, she's applauded for her bravery, she gets to be a saint. If she had tried to keep her medical history to herself, (like she should have a right to do,) the media WILL dig it up and people will stand in line to purchase the tabloid who got the "big story".

It seems like damage control to me.

Damage control?? What damage? Having a preventative surgery? How is that "damage" that needs to be controlled? :noway:
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    yes but will getting the surgery ensure she doesn't get colon cancer, liver cancer, brain cancer, lung cancer, thyroid cancer, skin cancer etc.? Seems a bit extreme to go for surgery for something that there is no guarantee she would ever have (unless she has already had a scare or has an unexplained mass which hasn't been leaked to the media).
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    [quote this!
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.
    [/quote]
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I promise, I am not trolling. I don't wish cancer on anyone. I had an aunt who died as a result of breast cancer. So I hope you don't cast me as a huge villain when I ask this: Who is UNAWARE of cancer, these days? How does wearing a colored ribbon help, in any measurable way? How does the info that a certain actress has had a procedure going to do ANYTHING at all to fight against that disease?

It isn't. Angelina beat the reporters to the punch. As with any woman who makes the decision to undergo a double mastectomy, I don't take lightly the gravity and difficulty of that decision. But I DO take her "big reveal" to the press with a big grain of salt. For this reason: If she tells the world, she's applauded for her bravery, she gets to be a saint. If she had tried to keep her medical history to herself, (like she should have a right to do,) the media WILL dig it up and people will stand in line to purchase the tabloid who got the "big story".

Honestly I never thought to get checked for this until I saw this post, and I will be speaking to my doctor about it as I have a family history. So I suppose she brought "awareness" to me (and thousands of others I'm sure). It's not that people are not aware of cancer, it's just not something we tend to think about on a day to day basis.

And I'm just curious, what type of damage is she trying to control?
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    somewhere out there, probably retired by now, are a bunch of science & maths teachers who failed.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    thousands of women have to have it done every day. where's their applause and admiration?

This is nothing to do with applause and admiration, it's to do with raising awareness.

Who do you think will do a better job of raising awareness, a normal Mum of 3, or Angelina Jolie?

She's not trying to raise awareness that cancer exists. She's raising awareness of the gene, the tests available, the options available to women with the gene, and the fact that having a double mastectomy is a possibility, and one that makes a woman no less of a woman.

Even if she had kept this private and the media had "dug it up" - it doesn't reflect negatively on her anyway. Why would she need damage control? I can't believe the ignorance and cynicism in this thread.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    yes but will getting the surgery ensure she doesn't get colon cancer, liver cancer, brain cancer, lung cancer, thyroid cancer, skin cancer etc.? Seems a bit extreme to go for surgery for something that there is no guarantee she would ever have (unless she has already had a scare or has an unexplained mass which hasn't been leaked to the media).
    :noway: Did you read the article? She was told she has an 87% chance of getting breast cancer due to the gene she inherited from her mother. Having the mastectomy dramatically reduced that chance.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

She spoke about the costs, tests, etc. maybe poking at such things, things might get pushed to change. But, we could just go your route and do absolutely nothing. Just shrug and say, eh, I'm sure everyone knows about cancer. You mock the ribbons and I bet you think the cancer walks are dumb,m. But at least people are trying to do what they can and I think that even those little things you find pointless, might have made a difference to someone.

I know my aunt felt like she wasn't alone when she was fighting her cancer and participated in the walk and saw others wearing those ribbons.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people in this thread who are totally missing the point.

It doesn't bloody matter whether you like her personally or not. She is raising awareness and saying, 'You know what, it's okay to have a double mastectomy, it doesn't make you less of a woman.'

If you think for a second that her global profile won't contribute to global awareness of this gene/ this option then you are crazy.

Yes, every woman who makes the choice to have this operation and help to save their own life is a hero. No one is saying they are not.

QFT (again)
  • FearAndTrembling
    Options
    So a rich person was able to get her tits removed and buy new ones, and we should applaud her because.. It will just go along with every other fake part of her body. This is a woman who has 2 nannies for every kid.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Why does the public assume they have a right to an opinion regarding the fate of one woman's breasts?

Why the debate and scrutiny?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Damage control?? What damage? Having a preventative surgery? How is that "damage" that needs to be controlled? :noway:

the media reaction would be the "damage" I was referring to. If someone is famous, the media ignores their right to privacy. The info that Angelina had this done would have been splashed across every tabloid rag. By dispersing the info herself, she controls the message. That's what I meant.

I think it sucks that the media has put famous people in this position.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The ignorance on this topic is astounding! Educate yourself before you post.

Oh and for the record. Reconstruction is not a boob job. It's a long process, not done in a day. It can be quite uncomfortable to downright painful. And all this after the big surgery!

Angelina is hot! She will help many face their fears, whether they are facing preventative surgery, or already diagnosed.

Oh and lets ask a stage 4 women if she wishes, she had done what Angelina has done...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    somewhere out there, probably retired by now, are a bunch of science & maths teachers who failed.

^ This.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    She is not the First to make this choice; she didn't have a lot up top anyway. I guess this is a Pre-disposition move, I PRAY that people do NOT believe that a genetic trait will influence them over their OWN Decision Making...and I Pray, Pray, Pray that Insurance Companies do NOT start DNA(genetic) marking and demanding/requiring that genetic markers be followed over our OWN ability to control certain factors.

You think THIS is a GOOD idea...what if Brad made a decision to CUT off His Testicles based on the Fact that he has a 87% chance of getting Testicular Cancer. Would YOU get YOUR Balls cut...OFF?!
    Apples and oranges. Cancer is the number 2 killer of women. Breast cancer is the number 2 cancer killer for women. 1 out of every 5,000 men die from testicular cancer compared to 1 out of every 6 for breast cancer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

the media reaction would be the "damage" I was referring to. If someone is famous, the media ignores their right to privacy. The info that Angelina had this done would have been splashed across every tabloid rag. By dispersing the info herself, she controls the message. That's what I meant.

I think it sucks that the media has put famous people in this position.

The media has also put famous people in the position of better getting their voices heard than the average person. As others have stated, this isn't about telling people "cancer exists." It's more than that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Why do the mastectomy now instead of waiting for cancer cells to appear first? If she don't get the cancer, it's kind of a waste of time and money, no? But she can afford to waste the time and money, I guess so why not.

My mother had breast cancer twice. Her right breast was treated with chemo. Then 9 years later on her left breast. She just had a mastectomy on her left breast last February. I also had a maternal first cousin that had breast cancer so my risk is high.

I am 45 now and so far has no symptoms. I am not sure what I'll do if I get the cancer. I'll probably just have both breast removed since they are sagging anyway, they get in the way of my work-out, I hate wearing bras, and I have no plans on having more kids.
    Percentages and history weren't in her favor. And it's LIFE we're talking about, not a house or car or material item.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    She's an actress. Her medical procedures are just like everyone else's, none of our business. She told the world about it so that she would enjoy positive press instead of prying media scrutiny. It doesn't make her a saint.

I just do not get the desire to admire someone solely on the basis of knowing their name and recognizing their face.

Remember the husband stealing? Anyone?
    Like it or not, people listen to certain celebrities when they speak out. If you were famous and could touch others lives, wouldn't you?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm sure they get it from people who are important to them. I'm also sure they give back and are appreciated.

IDEA Fitness member