Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.

OR if you get rid of the bitterness in your life, you could see that it reminds people that celebrities are still human and that she had the courage to go through with a surgery that would possibly question her "femininity", as breasts are pretty much associated with being feminine. If I had the cash to "return to my fabulous" self after doing something like that, I would too. Are you saying she shouldn't have because it's not fair to other people who aren't as wealthy? Do you resent all wealthy people just because you don't have the money they do?

Also, she put her children first and went through several surgeries to better her chances of being around for them longer than what might not have been had she not done the surgeries and developed breast cancer. I think that is commendable.

QFT

you also have to consider that her aesthetic appearance is her bread and butter.

She acts, how she looks makes up a HUGE portion of her career, that in turn funds her humanitarian efforts.

It was probably no small decision on her part to risk her life, her health and her career on a surgery that will potentially increase her chances of having a cancer free life.

nothing is without risk. This was a risk for her, she took it, and she shared that intensely personal journey in an effort to encourage others to consider it should they have the gene.

That's admirable.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think Angelina is brave to not only do this being in the spotlight but is and was not flaunting her ability to have it done because of her wealth. She did it to save her life She did it for her children. And as one MFP member mentioned although she is a celebrity she is still human wealthy or not. I applaud her for her difficult decision
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.

OR if you get rid of the bitterness in your life, you could see that it reminds people that celebrities are still human and that she had the courage to go through with a surgery that would possibly question her "femininity", as breasts are pretty much associated with being feminine. If I had the cash to "return to my fabulous" self after doing something like that, I would too. Are you saying she shouldn't have because it's not fair to other people who aren't as wealthy? Do you resent all wealthy people just because you don't have the money they do?

Also, she put her children first and went through several surgeries to better her chances of being around for them longer than what might not have been had she not done the surgeries and developed breast cancer. I think that is commendable.

^ Well said. She chose to share the details of her experience and that is admirable.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    As a survivor, if I would've had a chance to get it done, I would've. I was really young so the best option at the time was to conserve some of it and only do a lumpectomy. In the future, getting a double mastectomy is the plan. I think she did the right thing.
  • NGFive
    NGFive Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    what an awesome human being she is. I now respect her even more for going public with a very private matter--all for the good of womankind.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

I don't believe she did this for your admiration. :wink:

^QFT. also, many non-celebrities, aka regular women, with the BRCA genes are doing this now. yes, it may be radical, but it is their choice, and if it decreases the chances of getting breast cancer, then more power to them.

I don't admire her for having the surgery done. That was just smart thinking. I do admire her for taking the time to write about her experience and share it with the world through the NYT. My wife and I read the article this morning, and A.J.'s surgeries and experiences were very similar to what my wife went through, though my wife was diagnosed and had a lumpectomy and chemotherapy done before finally deciding to go ahead with the double mastectomy. She unfortunately has the same gene mutation. We're not exactly celebrity followers but A.J. did, through the NYT, what many women on MFP do regularly, share her experiences with others. I think that does help.

Oh, and editing to add that many insurance coverages do pay for this if the woman has this gene mutation. Ours covered it along with the reconstructive surgery.

/endthread
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Hey, 87% chance down to 5% chance... That'd have me cutting off body parts.

Seems like the simple and logical decision (from what we know).
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

If you find out you have an 87% chance of cancer, I think even most low income people could and would find a way to take $20k out in loans to save their life. Of course, this is assuming insurance doesnt cover..which it does however. Even with insurance, you know how much a battle with full blown cancer will cost you? More than that surgery, that's for damn sure.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    So you're butt hurt over money? The issue isnt money, it's awareness.

Also, you incorrect on the reconstruction as it covered in most cases of mastectomy. Additionally, if you have high-risk family history, most insurance companies will pay for better screenings. Rather than piss about the money she has, look at the awareness, the sacrifice she made (all forms of surgery have a mental impact) - lord knows she didnt do the double just to get reconstruction, her boobs were awesome, also look at the overall humanitarian efforts she does. I'm sure you overlooked all of that because of your personal preferences/prejudices. For that, you should go hang out with Beyonce and Jay-Z since they are higher-than-thou "celebrities" who couldn't GAF about anyone...
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options

^^ this
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

^QFT. also, many non-celebrities, aka regular women, with the BRCA genes are doing this now. yes, it may be radical, but it is their choice, and if it decreases the chances of getting breast cancer, then more power to them.

I don't admire her for having the surgery done. That was just smart thinking. I do admire her for taking the time to write about her experience and share it with the world through the NYT. My wife and I read the article this morning, and A.J.'s surgeries and experiences were very similar to what my wife went through, though my wife was diagnosed and had a lumpectomy and chemotherapy done before finally deciding to go ahead with the double mastectomy. She unfortunately has the same gene mutation. We're not exactly celebrity followers but A.J. did, through the NYT, what many women on MFP do regularly, share her experiences with others. I think that does help.

Oh, and editing to add that many insurance coverages do pay for this if the woman has this gene mutation. Ours covered it along with the reconstructive surgery.

:heart:
  • trvtrekker
    trvtrekker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree... but at the same time, she has the means to do it and get reconstruction right away. Since it is an elective surgery not covered by insurance, most women won't be able to follow suit.

I would do it in a heart beat, and end up with better boobs.. hell yeah.. but I couldn't afford it or the time off of work to recover or the childcare/household help I would need.

Exactly, if they could afford it a lot of people would do a lot of preventive procedures but they couldn't. In her case I think she did coz she could afford and she did come out with it because being a celebrity its better that way instead of the press finding it later. Nothing to applaud here, IMO.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My aunt and grandmother both had breast cancer and even though it was to save their lives to have a masectomy, it was very very difficult.
    I think it's admirable that she is going public with something so private and hopefully it'll help not only raise awareness regarding the gene testing and preventative measures, but make it less terrifying for other women. They have a very public figure to look to and maybe feel less alone
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Looks like someone hasn't been getting enough attention lately and her kids are still too young to be drug addicts so...mastectomy?

^^ what ?
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I think it's really sad that with as much time and money that's gone into breast cancer research and treatment, hacking off healthy breast tissue seems to be the answer for carriers of these genes. She's very courageous, as are the countless other women who go this route. Hopefully in the near future, we'll have other answers for women in this position.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Looks like someone hasn't been getting enough attention lately and her kids are still too young to be drug addicts so...mastectomy?

Wow really? I don't think ANY woman would do such a thing for "attention"

And what has she done that's been so outrageous in YEARS??
    I mean besides what dime store gossip mags report?

She appears to lead a very quiet life actually
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    She'd be gorgeous with 'em or without.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I think it's fantastic that she realises that she is more than her external body and that staying around for her kids is much more important. Yes she is beautiful but she is also intelligent and does a lot of great work for the UN, I think she's wonderful.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    B ( o ) ( o ) BIES gone.....
    :cry: