Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options

Replies

• ThoseLittleCats
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.

100% agreed. i would hav more respect for her if she paid for another woman, who had cancer, to get reconstruction.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree... but at the same time, she has the means to do it and get reconstruction right away. Since it is an elective surgery not covered by insurance, most women won't be able to follow suit.

I would do it in a heart beat, and end up with better boobs.. hell yeah.. but I couldn't afford it or the time off of work to recover or the childcare/household help I would need.

i agree with this
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    anything for headlines in her failing career:)

From someone whose family have been touched by breast cancer the inappropriate smiley at the end of your post made me want to jump through the screen at you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Looks like someone hasn't been getting enough attention lately and her kids are still too young to be drug addicts so...mastectomy?

The things id like to say I wish could be to your face accompanied with....nah, not worth the strike. Either you are a troll or someone who needs serious psychological help. Based on your profile and previous posts, I go with the latter.

One of my aunts is a breast cancer survivor. Another had a scare. I respect Angelina for going thru with the preventative surgery and speaking out about it...NOT for fame/recognition, but to help women understand that life is more precious than a pair of boobs. To help women know the decision isn't easy for ANYONE and that it is worth it if it helps save your life from breast cancer.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Right, cause she and her husband clearly are running out of money... :noway:
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

This comment is just gross.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Her body, her choice, but why do we really need to hear about it? Another Hollywood Attention *kitten*.....
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    As a woman who is scheduled for a double mastectomy next week, I applaud Angelina for going public with her difficult decision. While my surgery is not prophylactic but the cure for my cancer, at age 39, I would choose life over boobs anytime! Go Angelina!!!!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    And then there's people like this who make me question my faith in humanity--> http://cocojigglypuff.tumblr.com/post/50433917944/sad-teeth-so-today-angelina-jolie-had-double

Wow. Just read that. Some guys are really really dumb about this. Evidently it hasn't affected them at home, with their own mothers or sisters, or wives, or friends. To say its to boost the career, is also stupid. She would have announced this previous to the procedure, to get a kick start on the drama if that was her point. Thats not her point.

Sad Teeth Said this from the link:

So today Angelina Jolie had double mastectomy, which is the removal of one’s breasts, to prevent Breast cancer. So instead of praising Angelina on her bravery, men on Twitter decided to ridicule her, even calling her stupid for removing her breasts. For those of you on Tumblr that are attacking Feminists about being delusional about sexism against women and misogyny here’s your ****ing proof that sexism and misogyny exists.

I wish Angelina a long cancer free life.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    in the uk you get that op for free if you need it.
    you get the same in lots of countries.
    the world is bigger than america.

so, yes, her courage WILL help a great many women who are facing the same.
    you can still be sexy, still be a beautiful woman. life will go on.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    As a woman who has walked this road, I applaud Angelina Jolie. Her decision to share, will help so many, who anguish over this. I believe this one act of sharing, will have a profound affect.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.

100% agreed. i would hav more respect for her if she paid for another woman, who had cancer, to get reconstruction.

Why do people feel that wealthy people who earned their own money should owe anything to people less off? But regardless, she worked hard for her money and she does gives back, all the time. She's quite the humanitarian. Where have you been?
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    As a woman who is scheduled for a double mastectomy next week, I applaud Angelina for going public with her difficult decision. While my surgery is not prophylactic but the cure for my cancer, at age 39, I would choose life over boobs anytime! Go Angelina!!!!

Go NaeNae... Good luck next week. :wink:
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the news, good for her. I also saw that she went into detail about how not enough women have the means to pay for the genetic testing to even have the option to find out if they have the gene or not. So good for her for saying that as well.

Life or boobs? I choose my life. I want to see my kids grow up, and I want to meet my grandchildren. Angelina's mother also passed away at the age of 50 so I am sure that influenced her choice. She is gorgeous, and though I don't understand why she does some of the things she does, she is definitely a seemingly quiet celebrity.

As for the comment about anything to bring light to her failing career? She seems to be making plenty of movies so I don't see how that's a logical comment at all.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options

ACTUALLY - on GMA this morning the doctor said that now women are able to get reconstructive surgery for free. I had never heard that before and wonder if I misunderstood her or what.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Anything I could say would give me a strike......you aren't worth that.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    She is not the First to make this choice; she didn't have a lot up top anyway. I guess this is a Pre-disposition move, I PRAY that people do NOT believe that a genetic trait will influence them over their OWN Decision Making...and I Pray, Pray, Pray that Insurance Companies do NOT start DNA(genetic) marking and demanding/requiring that genetic markers be followed over our OWN ability to control certain factors.

You think THIS is a GOOD idea...what if Brad made a decision to CUT off His Testicles based on the Fact that he has a 87% chance of getting Testicular Cancer. Would YOU get YOUR Balls cut...OFF?!
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have the gene. I also lost my mother, grandmother and aunt to Breast Cancer. My doctor has advised me to get this done and Im in the process of considering. I think it's amazing that she got this done and went public about it. And if the insurance pays for the removal then they do pay for the reconstruction, its how the laws work for this. Also someone mentioned that her chances of having this were exaggerated in the article. Not true. The percentage is based on having the gene and how many direct relatives have had breast cancer and how bad it was. So with a mother who died of cancer and the gene her chances of cancer were that high. For those of you saying shes seeking attention or a *kitten*.....no words. Shes using her fame to shed light on something that many women are afraid to do and risk cancer because they feel like society would treat them as less of a woman. My own mother got cancer for the second time instead of having the removal because she didnt think she would be a real women with her breasts removed. Angelina got nothing out of this, shes bringing it to light and showing women that you can be a real woman and get this done. Calling her names, saying shes exaggerating or otherwise putting her down for such a decision is ridiculous.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd throw it out there that Christina Applegate was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years back and while she only needed a lumpectomy in one breast, she opted for a full double mastectomy because both her mother and grandmother had battled breast cancer, and she knew it would probably come back. Ms. Jolie is not the first celeb to make this extremely difficult, albeit (probably) life saving decision. If I had the gene (which I could have, I have no idea, never been tested or had it suggested that I be tested for it) and the resources to have this done, I'd do it in a heartbeat. They can do amazing things with plastic surgery these days, and a pair of fakes would probably look better than what I've got going on right now anyway!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Looks like someone hasn't been getting enough attention lately and her kids are still too young to be drug addicts so...mastectomy?
    i pity you your existence.