Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options

Replies

• Danieboo757
    Danieboo757 Posts: 43
    Options
    I know too many women that simply believed in God and stayed faithfull to his word and were healed of multiple types of cancer for me to think this is admirable in any way or even the right choice. I's choose God's healing grace anyday before I choose to go under the knife just becuz I COULD get it not even ACTUALLY having it. This is just craziness but thats expected from Ms. Jolie.

My aunt chose this path as well. She died when she was 45. I miss her everyday.

I would say I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt my truth is she is probably looking down on us feeling sorry that we can't be there with here celebrating our Lord with street made of gold. She made that right choice bcuz even if she had made the choice to have surgery there is no way to know if she would still be here. She put her lifeis God's hands and felt it was time for suffering to be over and now she gets to spend everyday with him free from paind and strife and struggle. Don't get me wrong I've known women to die from this too and yes it hurts bcuz we want our loved ones here with us but really its a selfish nature thats makes us feel that way even if it is a loving kind of selfish...the best choice a person can ever make is to have faith and trust God completely even when its hard....that was the real point I was making.
    and who inspires those scientific finds? who gives us scientists who were smart enough to figure this out?

maybe, sometimes, your god would like you to take courageous action instead of sitting back and waiting for him to fix it all, then put it down to his plan when you don't get spoon fed?

Faith in itself is an action u can't just "sit back and be spoon fed" God doesnt like lazy!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree... but at the same time, she has the means to do it and get reconstruction right away. Since it is an elective surgery not covered by insurance, most women won't be able to follow suit.

I would do it in a heart beat, and end up with better boobs.. hell yeah.. but I couldn't afford it or the time off of work to recover or the childcare/household help I would need.

This...even though it's amazing that she made such a brave choice, she does have the means to fix it and visually not have much of a change. Most insurance companies don't cover reconstructive/cosmetic surgery. It can be damaging to one's self esteem and self perception.

Again, if it's medically necessary or if you're in a situation like this where you know you're changing your risk significantly, it's appropriate and probably recommended...but her brave choice seems a little less so when you know she can have it fixed almost immediately.

Insurance companies are required by law to provide reconstruction to mastectomy patients. Not only are they required, they must cover any future revisions.

Exactly. It's covered. It's Federal law that it be covered.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I know too many women that simply believed in God and stayed faithfull to his word and were healed of multiple types of cancer for me to think this is admirable in any way or even the right choice. I's choose God's healing grace anyday before I choose to go under the knife just becuz I COULD get it not even ACTUALLY having it. This is just craziness but thats expected from Ms. Jolie.
    Anecdotal. From this it just sounds like faith in god with no treatments heal cancer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I do know women that have had no treatment including surgery that have been healed of cancer amongst other illnesses.
    an·ec·do·tal
    /ˌanikˈdōtl/
    Adjective

1.(of an account) Not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.
    2.Characterized by or fond of telling anecdotes.

Now please refrain from the god posts. It's not a thread about religious faith healing. You can go start your own thread about that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.

That's a pretty bitter way to look at it.

If nothing else she brought to light that these tests are available to assess your risk for breast cancer. I'm sure many women weren't aware of that.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think it's absolutely wonderful that she came out and told the public about it. Increased awareness and decreased stigma about it are great things to have.

One thing though: She's getting implants (I believe Nightline said she had temporary fillers right now), so she'll still have boobs.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    there is no eye rolling emote.

WHY IS THERE NO EYE ROLLING EMOTE???
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

I would say I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt my truth is she is probably looking down on us feeling sorry that we can't be there with here celebrating our Lord with street made of gold. She made that right choice bcuz even if she had made the choice to have surgery there is no way to know if she would still be here. She put her lifeis God's hands and felt it was time for suffering to be over and now she gets to spend everyday with him free from paind and strife and struggle. Don't get me wrong I've known women to die from this too and yes it hurts bcuz we want our loved ones here with us but really its a selfish nature thats makes us feel that way even if it is a loving kind of selfish...the best choice a person can ever make is to have faith and trust God completely even when its hard....that was the real point I was making.
    and who inspires those scientific finds? who gives us scientists who were smart enough to figure this out?

maybe, sometimes, your god would like you to take courageous action instead of sitting back and waiting for him to fix it all, then put it down to his plan when you don't get spoon fed?

Faith in itself is an action u can't just "sit back and be spoon fed" God doesnt like lazy!

Lazy = sitting back and saying a deity will do it for you.
    Not lazy = going to the doctor and using the resources available. Otherwise defined as being proactive.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think the most important issue here is the fact that most insurances do not even cover the BRAC analysis test and without that most people can't even afford to have it done. I do applaud Angelina Jolie for getting the word out about this test though, I had heard about it a few years ago when I worked with a breast cancer surgeon but this test is not widely offered, even to patients with extensive family history. Hopefully the knowledge of this existance of this test will be widespread in it will help countless other women.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I often wondered about this.... if a woman carries the gene for breast cancer, and you decide to have your breasts removed as a preventative measure....isn’t there a stronger likelihood of the cancer just going somewhere else in your body?

I’m not saying I disagree with her decision, and don’t know if I would or wouldn’t do the same in her situation…but just wondered if the cancer is just going to manifest itself somewhere else instead...

the gene predisposes the individual to growth of cancer in particular types of tissue, not to cancer in general. so if they've had almost all of the tissue likely to develop cancer removed, there's less chance of cancer because there's less place for it to develop. it's not a case of it just growing somewhere else, the faulty gene only involves the breast and ovarian tissue - carriers are no more or less likely to develop other cancers than you or I.
    does that make sense to you?
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

do you purify your water? do you give your animals anti-parisite medication? did you have your children vaccinated? do they go to check ups? do you? mammograms? pap smears? does your SO have his prostate checked? do you drink homogenized milk? do you buckle your seatbelt? wear a bike helmet? these are all modern, technological advances that we, the few gifted to be born in first world countries, have available to us. at which point is it blasphemous to protect yourself?

our creator has put us here in a time where the technology exists to find the gene and make a choice that will most likely save your life... how is that against the greater plan?

Jolie is a mother of 6. she works with UNICEF. she has a demanding job on top of all that. i applaud her for going public about this very personal thing. i can't imagine saying "you there, charity worker and mother of 6, you should just let it slide that you KNOW you have an 87% chance of getting breast cancer. because god will save you" that, to me, reeks of evil.
  • MissSusieQ
    Options
    I think it's absolutely wonderful that she came out and told the public about it. Increased awareness and decreased stigma about it are great things to have.

One thing though: She's getting implants (I believe Nightline said she had temporary fillers right now), so she'll still have boobs.

so she's less brave because she's having her breasts reconstructed? if you think that having them reconstructed makes it any less of a massive decision for her, you're mistaken.

and, to the people talking about how she's lucky she's rich and famous and can afford to get all this done.. NOW HEAR THIS!!

she has not recieved some special deal. Im in Australia and im a theatre nurse and im here to tell you that ANYONE AND EVERYONE can choose to have their breasts reconstructed. Rich, poor, young, old, insured or not, if you want it done, you can have it. if you're not insured, the wait might be a little longer for both the mastectomy and the reconstruction, but you can get it all done in the same damn operation!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I often wondered about this.... if a woman carries the gene for breast cancer, and you decide to have your breasts removed as a preventative measure....isn’t there a stronger likelihood of the cancer just going somewhere else in your body?

I’m not saying I disagree with her decision, and don’t know if I would or wouldn’t do the same in her situation…but just wondered if the cancer is just going to manifest itself somewhere else instead...

With breasts = 87% chance of cancer
    Without breasts = 5% chance of cancer
    Well, you can't argue those odds (that's for sharing the stats). If it was in my family, or I was determined I was carrying the gene, I'd certainly consider that option
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Good point! There is a HUGE need for this here. :drinker:
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Just in this little corner of existence, Angelina's choice has opened up conversation. Today more are informed, than yesterday. With the exception of the bitter people, superstitious and the willfully ignorant.
  • MissSusieQ
    Options

maybe if you just say 'rollyrollyrollyrollyrolly' people will get the point?
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    ROLLYROLLYROLLYROLLY!!

yeah, that might work.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree... but at the same time, she has the means to do it and get reconstruction right away. Since it is an elective surgery not covered by insurance, most women won't be able to follow suit.

I would do it in a heart beat, and end up with better boobs.. hell yeah.. but I couldn't afford it or the time off of work to recover or the childcare/household help I would need.

This information above is false. I did the same thing as she did in 2010 because of my family history/genetics. Insurance paid 100% of it INCLUDING my deductible.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Apparently the Caner Act of 1998 states that insurance companies have to cover reconstruction if they cover the mastectomy.

And I think a lot of companies will cover an elective mastectomy if you test positive for the jean as it'd save them a lot of money compared to treating the breast cancer (I don't have any facts for this, just friends saying their friends were covered).

I just tested positive for the Levi jean! :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • MissSusieQ
    Options
    ROLLYROLLYROLLYROLLY!!

yeah, that might work.

yeah, that looks like it felt good.
    and the beautiful part is that not having spaces, the term 'rollyrollyrollyrollyrolly' also fulfills all your 'sticking my fingers in my ears and not listening to you' needs. and if they're too noisy for that, there's always caps lock.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    am i understanding this right that all the tissue from the breasts gets removed and then replaced with an implant or do the nipples have to be removed aswell? Either way it must have been a horrible decision to make and i think i would have done the same if i was a woman. I guess it would be like being told i had 85% chance of testicular cancer and had to get them removed. :frown:

It was explained to me that women have breast tissue ALL OVER their upper chest cavity. Pregnant women sometimes feel pain on their sides and under their arm pits. Have a radical double mastectomy will not remove 100% of this tissue. There will still be "some" because it's impossible to get it all. However, as we've seen her risk went from 87-5%. The nipples contain breast tissue and even if they "saved" the nipples and reattached them there would be a less than 1% chance of feeling being returned to the nipple. So either way the sensation is gone - which at 30 years of age was one of the things I had to grieve and get pissed off about. But, I went from 87-5% - WIN! :)