Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options

Replies

• MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Apparently the Caner Act of 1998 states that insurance companies have to cover reconstruction if they cover the mastectomy.

And I think a lot of companies will cover an elective mastectomy if you test positive for the jean as it'd save them a lot of money compared to treating the breast cancer (I don't have any facts for this, just friends saying their friends were covered).

I just tested positive for the Levi jean! :sad: :sad: :sad:

How terrible! Is there a provision in the Caner act that allows you to get a hot doctor to remove said jeans?
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    there is no eye rolling emote.

WHY IS THERE NO EYE ROLLING EMOTE???

same reason there is no sarcasm font....the man is sticking it to us...
    :huh:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I know too many women that simply believed in God and stayed faithfull to his word and were healed of multiple types of cancer for me to think this is admirable in any way or even the right choice. I's choose God's healing grace anyday before I choose to go under the knife just becuz I COULD get it not even ACTUALLY having it. This is just craziness but thats expected from Ms. Jolie.

My aunt chose this path as well. She died when she was 45. I miss her everyday.

I would say I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt my truth is she is probably looking down on us feeling sorry that we can't be there with here celebrating our Lord with street made of gold. She made that right choice bcuz even if she had made the choice to have surgery there is no way to know if she would still be here. She put her lifeis God's hands and felt it was time for suffering to be over and now she gets to spend everyday with him free from paind and strife and struggle. Don't get me wrong I've known women to die from this too and yes it hurts bcuz we want our loved ones here with us but really its a selfish nature thats makes us feel that way even if it is a loving kind of selfish...the best choice a person can ever make is to have faith and trust God completely even when its hard....that was the real point I was making.

do you purify your water? do you give your animals anti-parisite medication? did you have your children vaccinated? do they go to check ups? do you? mammograms? pap smears? does your SO have his prostate checked? do you drink homogenized milk? do you buckle your seatbelt? wear a bike helmet? these are all modern, technological advances that we, the few gifted to be born in first world countries, have available to us. at which point is it blasphemous to protect yourself?

our creator has put us here in a time where the technology exists to find the gene and make a choice that will most likely save your life... how is that against the greater plan?

Jolie is a mother of 6. she works with UNICEF. she has a demanding job on top of all that. i applaud her for going public about this very personal thing. i can't imagine saying "you there, charity worker and mother of 6, you should just let it slide that you KNOW you have an 87% chance of getting breast cancer. because god will save you" that, to me, reeks of evil.

*APPLAUSE*

Can't have said it any better than maab.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Apparently the Caner Act of 1998 states that insurance companies have to cover reconstruction if they cover the mastectomy.

And I think a lot of companies will cover an elective mastectomy if you test positive for the jean as it'd save them a lot of money compared to treating the breast cancer (I don't have any facts for this, just friends saying their friends were covered).

I just tested positive for the Levi jean! :sad: :sad: :sad:

How terrible! Is there a provision in the Caner act that allows you to get a hot doctor to remove said jeans?

I haven't read it yet. A hot doctor or hot nurse would be appropriate.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, I appreciate the OP creating this thread and sharing the statistics.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Um, why is this even a big deal? Tons of women would happily have their breast tissue removed and replaced with perfect implants, including myself. My chance of cancer (with or without the BRCA gene) would decrease and I'd look better. It's a win-win. I'm supposed to think AJ is brave because she had an elective surgery? That *kitten* happens every day.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree... but at the same time, she has the means to do it and get reconstruction right away. Since it is an elective surgery not covered by insurance, most women won't be able to follow suit.

I would do it in a heart beat, and end up with better boobs.. hell yeah.. but I couldn't afford it or the time off of work to recover or the childcare/household help I would need.

This information above is false. I did the same thing as she did in 2010 because of my family history/genetics. Insurance paid 100% of it INCLUDING my deductible.

Thanks to the detection of this gene, insurance has to cover the elective surgery if you are shown to have an increased risk of cancer.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Um, why is this even a big deal? Tons of women would happily have their breast tissue removed and replaced with perfect implants, including myself. My chance of cancer (with or without the BRCA gene) would decrease and I'd look better. It's a win-win. I'm supposed to think AJ is brave because she had an elective surgery? That *kitten* happens every day.

I think its good that she is discussing this test because not everyone knows about it. Its kind of refreshing to see a celebrity discuss something other than the name of the person that designed the dress they're wearing.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    there isn't a font size big enough to satisfy my rollyrolly now.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree... but at the same time, she has the means to do it and get reconstruction right away. Since it is an elective surgery not covered by insurance, most women won't be able to follow suit.

I would do it in a heart beat, and end up with better boobs.. hell yeah.. but I couldn't afford it or the time off of work to recover or the childcare/household help I would need.

This...even though it's amazing that she made such a brave choice, she does have the means to fix it and visually not have much of a change. Most insurance companies don't cover reconstructive/cosmetic surgery. It can be damaging to one's self esteem and self perception.

Again, if it's medically necessary or if you're in a situation like this where you know you're changing your risk significantly, it's appropriate and probably recommended...but her brave choice seems a little less so when you know she can have it fixed almost immediately.

This type of procedure is covered by insurance. Not sure how you categorize "medically necessary" but if you had an 87% chance of getting cancer, my view is that a preventetive measure is medically necessary...would it be viewed differently if that preventitive measure was in the form of a pill and not surgery?
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.

OR if you get rid of the bitterness in your life, you could see that it reminds people that celebrities are still human and that she had the courage to go through with a surgery that would possibly question her "femininity", as breasts are pretty much associated with being feminine. If I had the cash to "return to my fabulous" self after doing something like that, I would too. Are you saying she shouldn't have because it's not fair to other people who aren't as wealthy? Do you resent all wealthy people just because you don't have the money they do?

Also, she put her children first and went through several surgeries to better her chances of being around for them longer than what might not have been had she not done the surgeries and developed breast cancer. I think that is commendable.
    I love this woman. I couldn't have said it better myself.

ME TOO!
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    there is no eye rolling emote.

WHY IS THERE NO EYE ROLLING EMOTE???

I've been asking for months!!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    there isn't a font size big enough to satisfy my rollyrolly now.

maybe try more rollyrollys? lines and lines of them? if you get bored, there's always CTRL-C CTRL-V..
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    As a woman who is scheduled for a double mastectomy next week, I applaud Angelina for going public with her difficult decision. While my surgery is not prophylactic but the cure for my cancer, at age 39, I would choose life over boobs anytime! Go Angelina!!!!

My prayers are with you:flowerforyou: I had breast cancer but was fortunate it was early stage. My sister was not as fortunate and had a double mastectomy. Thank goodness science has advanced and you and so many other women like us, can live long healthy lives. Wishing you well and a quick recovery.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

This...even though it's amazing that she made such a brave choice, she does have the means to fix it and visually not have much of a change. Most insurance companies don't cover reconstructive/cosmetic surgery. It can be damaging to one's self esteem and self perception.

Again, if it's medically necessary or if you're in a situation like this where you know you're changing your risk significantly, it's appropriate and probably recommended...but her brave choice seems a little less so when you know she can have it fixed almost immediately.

This type of procedure is covered by insurance. Not sure how you categorize "medically necessary" but if you had an 87% chance of getting cancer, my view is that a preventetive measure is medically necessary...would it be viewed differently if that preventitive measure was in the form of a pill and not surgery?

sadly, it depends on your insurance company.

while MOST are doing the math and covering the preventative mastectomy/reconstruction - b/c chemo ain't cheap - not ALL are doing it yet.

now - if you have the mastectomy covered then the insurance company HAS TO BY LAW cover the reconstruction surgery as well.

READ YOUR INSURANCE COVERAGE!!!!! you need to know what is covered and what is not. be informed about your health and your life. this is part of that.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    she watched her mother die from cancer (have you ever watched that? i have. it's ugly. painful, cruel, undignified and ugly), she was told she had an 87% chance of having cancer (having seen the way people die from it), she had the insides of her breast scraped out (like a butcher filleting meat. nerve damage, pain, never having pleasure from nipple stimulation, never breast feeding again) and had it replaced with 'perfect' implants...

if you would happily go through that then you're my freakin' hero, far braver than i am by far.
    personally, the thought of going through that scares the hell out of me.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options

I've seen this response several times on this thread. I think you are belittling the whole experience for any woman who goes through a mastectomy. There would be a huge psychological impact to losing your breasts no matter what size/shape they are or how you've felt about them. The reconstruction does not give them "perfect" improved breasts. There is still scarring & loss of sensation that will never go away.

Yes, it does happen every day to women everywhere. I think they are all brave for facing a difficult, life changing situation.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I know too many women that simply believed in God and stayed faithfull to his word and were healed of multiple types of cancer for me to think this is admirable in any way or even the right choice. I's choose God's healing grace anyday before I choose to go under the knife just becuz I COULD get it not even ACTUALLY having it. This is just craziness but thats expected from Ms. Jolie.

Please do not advise people to pray instead of seeking medical attention. Just don't.
  • claire671
    claire671 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I commend her decision to do this. A difficult one for any woman. I lost my father age 9 to lung cancer and then my mother when I was 22 to breast cancer. She carried the rare TP53 gene. I just wish there had been more awareness when my mother was diagnosed, she took part in a clinical trial to further research. If only she had been advised to go for a mastectomy, her cancer returned 5 years later and killed her.

It's got people talking about it and made women more aware.

Edited to correct spelling,
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

What an extremely insensitive and rude comment. As a breast cancer survivor and BRCA II gene carrier I think that you are very ignorant and I pray that you never receive a call from your doctor informing you that your biopsy was positive. It's very easy to say would you "would" do until you are actually faced with very tough decisions to make in life. Women who are faced with this decision don't view themselves as lucky because they can "have their breast tissue removed and replaced with perfect implants", they view themselves as lucky because they have the opportunity to live a longer life.