Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I know too many women that simply believed in God and stayed faithfull to his word and were healed of multiple types of cancer for me to think this is admirable in any way or even the right choice. I's choose God's healing grace anyday before I choose to go under the knife just becuz I COULD get it not even ACTUALLY having it. This is just craziness but thats expected from Ms. Jolie.

My aunt chose this path as well. She died when she was 45. I miss her everyday.

I would say I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt my truth is she is probably looking down on us feeling sorry that we can't be there with here celebrating our Lord with street made of gold. She made that right choice bcuz even if she had made the choice to have surgery there is no way to know if she would still be here. She put her lifeis God's hands and felt it was time for suffering to be over and now she gets to spend everyday with him free from paind and strife and struggle. Don't get me wrong I've known women to die from this too and yes it hurts bcuz we want our loved ones here with us but really its a selfish nature thats makes us feel that way even if it is a loving kind of selfish...the best choice a person can ever make is to have faith and trust God completely even when its hard....that was the real point I was making.

do you purify your water? do you give your animals anti-parisite medication? did you have your children vaccinated? do they go to check ups? do you? mammograms? pap smears? does your SO have his prostate checked? do you drink homogenized milk? do you buckle your seatbelt? wear a bike helmet? these are all modern, technological advances that we, the few gifted to be born in first world countries, have available to us. at which point is it blasphemous to protect yourself?

our creator has put us here in a time where the technology exists to find the gene and make a choice that will most likely save your life... how is that against the greater plan?

Jolie is a mother of 6. she works with UNICEF. she has a demanding job on top of all that. i applaud her for going public about this very personal thing. i can't imagine saying "you there, charity worker and mother of 6, you should just let it slide that you KNOW you have an 87% chance of getting breast cancer. because god will save you" that, to me, reeks of evil.

:flowerforyou:
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I know too many women that simply believed in God and stayed faithfull to his word and were healed of multiple types of cancer for me to think this is admirable in any way or even the right choice. I's choose God's healing grace anyday before I choose to go under the knife just becuz I COULD get it not even ACTUALLY having it. This is just craziness but thats expected from Ms. Jolie.

919.gif
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I don't admire her for this at all. I mean it's great that she can opt for that surgery and reduce her chances but she can also afford the best surgeons to ensure that she is returned to her fabulous self. Most women cannot afford to have the reconstruction, let alone the elective mastectomy. I don't think her actions give courage to other females. It just reminds them that they are not ridiculously wealthy and can't afford the same preventative care that the rich and famous can.
    ...............wow. She gives so much back and it's not unethical to be wealthy. I bet if she could have paid money to NOT to opt OUT. She is admirable. She chooses to put her children before everything and reduce her risk, despite the impact it will have on her life. Being selfless is admirable.

I was going to leave this all alone but I really hate being misunderstood.

I respect her decision as it was a wise one. My comment was based solely on the thought that it was probably a much easier decision for her to make than for a "regular" woman who does not have the same care available to them as Ms. Jolie. We can all say that this procedure is "covered" by insurance (covered is such a misnomer when it comes to healthcare) yet the average person still would be responsible for thousands of dollars in expenses. As a single mother who's main priority is to provide a good life for my child, I would never be able to afford that kind of preventative care. I am still trying to figure out how to pay for the cost of treatment for pneumonia that was covered under my insurance. I see my partner struggle with medical bills from having cancer removed from his body, that was covered by insurance. He was never even offered reconstructive surgery. As a man, I'm sure that affects him just as much as a woman losing her breasts. My comment had little to do with Ms. Jolie's decision and was much more about the imbalance of proper healthcare in this country and the media making movie stars out to be saints.

Good for her for being proactive. It's just not realistic for many other women.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that it takes a celebrity to get this much attention to this subject, something thousands of women have already done but their stories weren't as interesting.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I'm not Angelina Jolie, but here's my story:

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 months after I turned 37. Everything happened very quickly and ten days after my diagnosis I had a lumpectomy. I was extremely lucky and my breast cancer was Stage 0 (DCIS) and was non-invasive and contained in the ducts.

Following my lumpectomy, but before my radiation therapy, I was given the BRCA test because my father's sister was also a breast cancer survivor. I tested positive for the BRCA II gene.

Six months after I completed my radiation I got pregnant with my post cancer miracle baby (today is his 1st birthday)...I am currently in the process of preparing for a double mastectomy with reconstruction. Not only are my chances of reoccurrence very high but I was not a candidate for tamoxifen because I also carry the Factor V gene (blood clots). Living in fear of cancer returning is not fun and although I was very lucky with my first diagnosis, I may not be so lucky in the future. I have 3 beautiful boys that I need to be here for and if that means heading back to the OR then that's what I'm going to do.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Thank you :smile:
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

Please do not advise people to pray instead of seeking medical attention. Just don't.

Agreed. God can heal by many means, including a doctor's expertise. Seeking medical prevention or treatment doesn't negate faith, it is simply using the resources available to us and making sound decisions.

"Trust in God, but lock your car."
  • Nimblegranny
    Options
    I had a preventative double mastectomy and my ovaries removed in 2009. I am BRCA 1 positive; my mom died with ovarian cancer and her sister with breast cancer. I don't want to go out that way. I'm 57. It was an easy decision for me, given the 87 per cent odds. I have been watched carefully since my mother died, and it's harrowing to wonder every single pap smear or ultrasound for 25 years if this is the time I'll get the bad news. I'm done with that worry. Insurance paid for everything, I had a lot of complications, my reconstruction is finished, down to the nipples. I'll never be the same, but I believe I bought myself 30 years. My husband died of pancreatic cancer. If there had been any part of his body we could have cut off and he'd still be here, I'd have wanted to do it. If there's anything I can do to be proactive, I'm doing it. I want to be here for my grandchildren. My mother wasn't, her sister wasn't. They were both gone at 51.

There are so many of us who have Angelina Jolie's story, we just aren't celebrities. She will save lives because someone will ask their doctor about the BRCA test who wouldn't have known about it, and more young men and women will realize that when you love someone, having them with you is what matters, whether natural breasts or scarred with cold implants and tattooed nipples.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

this is borderline criminal to suggest people pray away their illnesses instead of seeking medical help. i hope you dont have children.

and the more cancer is discussed in the public the better.
  • Momf3boys
    Options
    I had a preventative double mastectomy and my ovaries removed in 2009. I am BRCA 1 positive; my mom died with ovarian cancer and her sister with breast cancer. I don't want to go out that way. I'm 57. It was an easy decision for me, given the 87 per cent odds. I have been watched carefully since my mother died, and it's harrowing to wonder every single pap smear or ultrasound for 25 years if this is the time I'll get the bad news. I'm done with that worry. Insurance paid for everything, I had a lot of complications, my reconstruction is finished, down to the nipples. I'll never be the same, but I believe I bought myself 30 years. My husband died of pancreatic cancer. If there had been any part of his body we could have cut off and he'd still be here, I'd have wanted to do it. If there's anything I can do to be proactive, I'm doing it. I want to be here for my grandchildren. My mother wasn't, her sister wasn't. They were both gone at 51.

There are so many of us who have Angelina Jolie's story, we just aren't celebrities. She will save lives because someone will ask their doctor about the BRCA test who wouldn't have known about it, and more young men and women will realize that when you love someone, having them with you is what matters, whether natural breasts or scarred with cold implants and tattooed nipples.

God bless you!!! I am a breast cancer survivor and a BRCA II gene carrier...I had my ovaries removed one year ago today (my babys 1st birthday is today)...I will be having my mastectomy and reconstruction within a year.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that it takes a celebrity to get this much attention to this subject, something thousands of women have already done but their stories weren't as interesting.

It is, but on a positive note, I am now seeing the major media outlets covering "average" women who have been through this.

ETA - I've already checked, in Canada, they will covered the testing if you are at a greater risk of having it, i.e. family history, and the surgery to remove and reconstruct is covered.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Um, why is this even a big deal? Tons of women would happily have their breast tissue removed and replaced with perfect implants, including myself. My chance of cancer (with or without the BRCA gene) would decrease and I'd look better. It's a win-win. I'm supposed to think AJ is brave because she had an elective surgery? That *kitten* happens every day.

I've seen this response several times on this thread. I think you are belittling the whole experience for any woman who goes through a mastectomy. There would be a huge psychological impact to losing your breasts no matter what size/shape they are or how you've felt about them. The reconstruction does not give them "perfect" improved breasts. There is still scarring & loss of sensation that will never go away.

Yes, it does happen every day to women everywhere. I think they are all brave for facing a difficult, life changing situation.

Thank you! A lot of ignorant comments going through this thread. Even the best surgeon in the world can't mask what a double mastectomy does. And do you have any clue the process of stretching out your skin for weeks to prepare for the implants? You clearly have no idea. They put pumps under your skin. Each week you go to the doctor to have them"pump" them more and more to stretch the skin while you are still healing. You think they just chop them off in throw in a perfect set of implants. Do some research *kitten*.

The process is months and months of grueling procedures and pain. They also remove your nipples. I'm sure you'd feel like it was a win-win after going through that.
  • sammirust
    sammirust Posts: 83
    Options
    i watched the woman who raised me- my great aunt- go through breast cancer, and the treatments for it. i even drove her to her radiation appointments, saw what it did to her. sure it got rid of the cancer, but my mom will never be the same again. the radiation really messes with people.
    if i ever test positive, without a hesitation i would get the surgery to remove my breasts no questions asked, weather my insurance covered it or not.
    i know what its like being a child and waiting to see if the cancer would take the life of your mom, how long you had with them. i never left her side until i was assured she was given a clean bill of health. i dont want to do that for my children, just for vanities sake of having breasts.
    i think angelina made the right choice for her situation. everyone has a different situation. that doesnt give anyone the right to judge her as "crazy," or "dumb" for doing something SHE believed was right.
    if you want to trust in god, so be it. if you want to get your breasts taken off, okay. if you want to do the radiation, go for it. just dont be rude and mean to others because of decisions they have made. its hard enough to make those decisions, let alone have to deal with people slamming you. accept them ,and move on.
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer at age 29 with no family history. Just a nasty surprise! But if I did test positive for BRCA, knowing what I know now, I would elect to have the double mastectomy in a heartbeat. Much better than waiting for it to hit (and the chance that it will hit with BRCA is ridiculously high) and dealing with the chemo, risk of death, etc. It would have been a gift to have the knowledge that I was high risk ahead of time, before it happened. She is very lucky!

Hugs to my fellow survivors on this thread!
  • Momf3boys
    Options
    I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer at age 29 with no family history. Just a nasty surprise! But if I did test positive for BRCA, knowing what I know now, I would elect to have the double mastectomy in a heartbeat. Much better than waiting for it to hit (and the chance that it will hit with BRCA is ridiculously high) and dealing with the chemo, risk of death, etc. It would have been a gift to have the knowledge that I was high risk ahead of time, before it happened. She is very lucky!

Hugs to my fellow survivors on this thread!

Hugs to you, my pink sister :flowerforyou:
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I found it somewhat funny that she identified her partner by name. We know who he is.

lol, I was thinking the same thing..."my partner...Brad Pitt" haha

Well, if she hadn't named him by name and just said "my partner" tonnes of people would have been saying "Why be all coy about it, it's not like we don't know who he is?" One of those "can't win" situations!

I definitely admire her on many different levels for this. Primarily for coming out and being open about her decision in a way that brings awareness to this test and gene so that others might learn about it.

Also, on a purely practical/gossip level, it just really does show that celebrities can keep secrets and their lives private if they want to. The way that her and Brad manage their brand is amazing (and I say that with true admiration, not snark).
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I don't like her. But I would have done the same. I hope her story helps other women.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The procedure takes her from an 87% chance for breast cancer, stated by a medical method that has 20% accuracy. I don't like to see that this case is such a big deal, when the diagnosys method she was subject to is very controversal in the medical environment.

I don't comment her decision, it's her body, her life. I understand that she had gone through difficult times because cancer in her family and in some way she may feel the need to do anything to keep her children from similar pain (if she has this kind of motivation).

But other people should really understand the accuracy of different diagnosys methods, the medical and emotional implication. It's a complex process that goes beyond the act of a famous person.
    It's not a problem of keeping your boobs or cutting them off. It is a problem of getting people to regular doctor check-ups to get to identify cancer in early stages, when there is something to do about it.
  • Momf3boys
    Options
    The procedure takes her from an 87% chance for breast cancer, stated by a medical method that has 20% accuracy. I don't like to see that this case is such a big deal, when the diagnosys method she was subject to is very controversal in the medical environment.

I don't comment her decision, it's her body, her life. I understand that she had gone through difficult times because cancer in her family and in some way she may feel the need to do anything to keep her children from similar pain (if she has this kind of motivation).

But other people should really understand the accuracy of different diagnosys methods, the medical and emotional implication. It's a complex process that goes beyond the act of a famous person.
    It's not a problem of keeping your boobs or cutting them off. It is a problem of getting people to regular doctor check-ups to get to identify cancer in early stages, when there is something to do about it.

I was extremely lucky because I felt my lump on my own. You see...I wasn't at the "medical age" of 40 to have a mammogram...good thing I felt it and didn't wait 3 years to turn 40 because I may not have made it to see 40. I also didn't have a mother or father that suffered from breast cancer so I was unable to receive a mammogram...low and behold, I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 37. After my diagnosis and my surgery I was tested and guess what...BRCA II positive...it appears that the medical diagnosis method was correct in my case...check ups are good but I can have an exam by my doctor today and a lump develop tomorrow but I'm not due for another exam for an entire year, and again it could have been too late...I think that when medical advances are made that we need to take advantage of them...
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was extremely lucky because I felt my lump on my own. You see...I wasn't at the "medical age" of 40 to have a mammogram...good thing I felt it and didn't wait 3 years to turn 40 because I may not have made it to see 40. I also didn't have a mother or father that suffered from breast cancer so I was unable to receive a mammogram...low and behold, I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 37. After my diagnosis and my surgery I was tested and guess what...BRCA II positive...it appears that the medical diagnosis method was correct in my case...check ups are good but I can have an exam by my doctor today and a lump develop tomorrow but I'm not due for another exam for an entire year, and again it could have been too late...I think that when medical advances are made that we need to take advantage of them...

Yes, this. And I was only 29 when mine was discovered, so I can say with fair certainty that waiting until 40 would have meant an early death for me. I have read that BRCA cancers tend to be amongst the most aggressive breast cancer cases. That means you can have your annual check up and get a clean bill of health, and 3 months later be diagnosed with stage 4 cancer that has spread to body parts that they can't just remove. That would not be a chance I would be willing to take, especially since I have a young child at home.
  • Momf3boys
    Options

Yes, this. And I was only 29 when mine was discovered, so I can say with fair certainty that waiting until 40 would have meant an early death for me. I have read that BRCA cancers tend to be amongst the most aggressive breast cancer cases. That means you can have your annual check up and get a clean bill of health, and 3 months later be diagnosed with stage 4 cancer that has spread to body parts that they can't just remove. That would not be a chance I would be willing to take, especially since I have a young child at home.

Yup...I have 3 youngesters at home (my youngest one celebrates his 1st birthday today). My Oncologist sees me every 3 months, I have a mammogram in July and then an MRI in December...I get checked ALL the time...when I was pregnant I saw my doctor once a month and even had a cancer scare then and had biopsies...as soon as I get this baby weight off the boobs are coming off too... :)