Worst Wedding You've Ever Attended

Options

Replies

• LovelyLaura2321
    LovelyLaura2321 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    my friend Cherise's wedding last September, 2012. the wedding went off without a hitch and it was time for the reception. the caters and everyone was waiting someone had to say there has been a delay you have to wait well by 6pm we ( my mom, stepdad, daughter and I ended up eating Mcdonald's) come to find out from the people who stayed there they didn't start the reception till 8pm mind you the wedding was at 2pm in the afternoon. the delay was the girls in the wedding party needed to redo their hair and make up because after the wedding was over it was raining.

so when her sister got married we got invited me, my mom, daughter and stepdad said we better leave early and grab a mcdonald's as this might be a repeat of what happened last time. and half the church folks who came last time all were eating at mcdonald's too. the reception there was not as bad we only had to wait 30 minuets.

My older brother and his wife got married at a court house and we ate dinner at McDonald's afterward. I guess you could consider it the reception hahaha. It was all very last minute with no planning, but it was actually nice. Sometimes I guess it's not how good the food is or how fancy and expensive the wedding is. All that truly matters is the fact the bride and groom are in love and that you celebrate that love with the people you love.

My younger sister's wedding was completely different. I think she ended up spending only $6,000 and everything was DIY. We found volunteers to help bring food and cater the reception, my brothers played guitar and I sang a song. I even made all the bouquets out of the flowers we planted at my parents' house. Everyone chipped in (those who wanted to as we didn't force anyone) and helped decorate and clean the church (that was free to use!), and my pastor's wife made the most delicious cake for extremely cheap!

There was a ton of food (had a hog roast), but we didn't have any alcohol, as none of us really drink much, and there was a little dancing, but most people that were there aren't in to dancing either. So some weddings that would suck to have no alcohol or dancing, but I think it's really just up to the bride and groom and the guests that are there.

The reception was immediately after the ceremony (and in the same building) because we took almost all of the pictures BEFORE the wedding. I think that was one of the reasons the day went so smoothly because no one was grumpy from having to wait forever!

I think it's also important to realize exactly what is most important for your wedding and focus on making that the best parts (whether it's food, music, etc), and it's also important to accept that some things might not go as planned and that at the end of the day, it will be okay and won't really matter :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Before I was married....................................the one where I didn't get laid that night meeting someone there.

After I was married........................................the groom got too drunk and called his new wife a *****, then a melee happened.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I went to one where some of my boyfriend's friends was getting married.
    The wedding was ok, but the reception was awful.

They had it in a big concrete civic center. There was no food, nothing to drink (not even if you were willing to pay), the tables and chairs were hard wood and they were going around asking people to donate money into a cup to help pay for the wedding. Oh and you could dance with the bride for 1.00$.
    Unbelievable.

WTH?!?!?!!?

Yea, that dollar dance is tacky in my opinion. It's popular in my neck of the woods, but we aren't doing it at my wedding. My fiancé thinks it's tacky as well. My guests can dance with me for FREE!

The dollar dance wouldn't have bothered me as much if I hadn't been "hangry". lol

:wink:
  • smantha32
    Options
    The wedding where my girlfriend at the time got really wasted and decided she wanted to go home with some guy from the dance floor. Yup, relationship ended that night, handed her my key to her place while she was on the dance floor and told her to have a nice life. Life goes on . . .

wow. totally messed up.
  • smantha32
    Options
    When my husband and I were first dating, he was a groomsman in a wedding. I didn't know many of his friends yet, but I went along. A girl tore up our wedding gift to the couple "on accident," I got thrown up on in the limo by the best man, girls I didn't know had to help me wring the vomit out of my dress at the reception bathroom, and all night I was referred to as "ooh, that's the girl that was puked on!!" To boot, the couple didn't even last a year!

getting puked on pretty much kills most parties. man.. lol
  • heweiland
    heweiland Posts: 42
    Options
    Call me Old Fashioned, but I think weddings today have lost the point. The day is supposed to be about the union of 2 people who want to spend the rest of their lives together. It's not about who can throw the best party. I have been married twice, the first time was a beautiful wedding paid for by my parents. When my husband did a 180 about 6 months into our marriage (i.e. became a pill popping, physically and verbally abusive alcoholic... I ended up staying with him for another year and a half because I felt bad about the money my parents paid. When I met my prince charming my second wedding was low-key. That first big, beautiful wedding meant nothing in the long run. My second wedding, where we made sure it was about our union rather than the party, was perfect. As for the cash bars, my first had a limit of free drinks before it became a cash bar, my second didn't have any alcohol served. I was too worried about the prospect of anyone at my wedding getting into an accident on the way home.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I think the wedding itself should be about the union....but the reception is about the guests. It is to THANK them for attending the wedding.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My wedding was the worst I've ever attended. I love my husband, and that is the most important thing, but the wedding sucked big ones.

Hubby's side of the family showed up to our ceremony in jeans and sweaters (his sister showed up wearing a dirty, too small, white button up shirt, long skirt and dirty sneakers with messy hair and bad BO!), his older brother was so drunk at the ceremony that his fiancée had to hold him up. He bought his own drinks to the ceremony despite us requesting not to be drinking during for religious reasons.

My mother and her ex husband chose the morning of the wedding to announce their divorce to their family, so everyone was still reeling from that.

I found out that morning that I was pregnant. So pregnant in fact, that I couldn't get my dress done up properly. I had packed it away and not tried it on for 6 weeks, and I'd begun showing in that time (but didn't realise I was pregnant. Must have skipped my mind due to all the stress at the time!). We had to quickly convert my French button dress to a corset back dress with no help. Luckily it stayed together for the whole event.

My husband's family arrived at the reception at the planned 6.30pm with their children in pyjamas and slippers, ate the food and left before we even had our first dance or cut the cake. They were gone by 7.30 at the latest, due to BIL's aforementioned drunkenness and rowdy behaviour.

So, while I did my best, unfortunately horrible guests ruined the event. We've thought of a renewal, but it's not going to happen. I'm scarred enough from the first time!

I think you win for worst wedding. I would have cried...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I worked at a wedding reception where, sometime between the ceremony and the reception, the bride and groom had such an epic fight that they didn't come to the reception. All their guests came, ate, drank and partied, but we never saw the bride and groom at all and the bride's mum came and picked everything up the next day.

Never did find out if they worked it out...
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a really "bad" one. But I can't imagine dry ones being very much fun.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    In high school I attended the wedding of my coach who was basically the "other woman." She cheated with her now husband while he was still married and had the nerve to have this grandiose society wedding at some of the swankiest establishments in Dallas as if she WASN'T the world's biggest tramp and he wasn't a chimp. Her parents were loaded and they spared no expense for their little *kitten*...I mean princess. The whole time I was just like "THIS b*tch!" But I basically had to go or risk not making the team the next year. Ah, politics! :laugh:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Wedding was in rural Minnesota...but is not the pattern for all rural Minnesota weddings, so don't go stereotyping....the invitation noted "set ups available". Which meant they were providing mixers, but you had to bring your own booze.

The wedding party (which I was in) was served family style, and then the other guests lined up at the buffet. When the wedding party finished eating, the bride wanted to go bar hopping - she said it was a tradition for the groomsmen to "kidnap" the bride and the bridesmaids "kidnap" the groom, and go drinking. While people were still in the buffet line.

We came back two hours later, to everyone sitting and waiting. It was one wedding where I was happy not to know anyone but the happy couple. Who I haven't seen since.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I went to a wedding and the ceremony was at the same place as the party. The ceremony started late and was OK, but then the bride, groom and bridal party leave for pictures. There was no food, no drinks nothing. The father of the groom made them open the bar while they were gone, they returned 2 hours later and finally the party started.

One table all the people didn't show up, thank goodness, we took all their appetizers. We were starving!!!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I see so many people here complaining about no booze. I know I won't be serving alcohol at my wedding, other than maybe one glass of champagne for the toast. It's not because I'm cheap, but because alcoholism runs in my family.
  • slkehl
    Options
    My older brother and his wife got married at a court house and we ate dinner at McDonald's afterward. I guess you could consider it the reception hahaha. It was all very last minute with no planning, but it was actually nice. Sometimes I guess it's not how good the food is or how fancy and expensive the wedding is. All that truly matters is the fact the bride and groom are in love and that you celebrate that love with the people you love.

That's freakin awesome!
  • slkehl
    Options
    The worst wedding I ever went to was an outdoor wedding...in December! The reception was outside as well. I was shivering in my pea coat, feeling sorry for the bridesmaids in their strapless dresses!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say a beach wedding in the middle of Summer (in Australia)....No seats, no shade, flies everywhere. Awful!

Another wedding I went to - the groom was European the bride was Aussie....The ceremony was done in his language, none of us had a clue what was being said, the priest sang & did all this weird stuff. Terrible!!!!!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    The wedding that my sister had decided not to invite me to!
    (so not actually attended but worst wedding experience)
    And I thought me and my sister got along quite well!
  • mollieprice331
    mollieprice331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just had my wedding a few months ago. From what I've heard it was a great time. No one had anything bad to say, or if they didn't they didn't tell me!

I had an open bar with way too much to drink. When we did end up running out of hard alcohol my father in law actually sent people to get more. We had a good party environment, the food was good, and the cake was amazing. To top it off I had a phot booth which people really seemed to enjoy.

As long as you are having fun and your guests aren't bored then it isn't a big deal. There were a few people I asked not to bring significant others, but those were the ones with newer boyfriends/girlfriends and when I explained the space issue they were fine.

I also made sure to play a mix of music so everyone had a chance to dance! I had a few hour break between to ceremony and reception but a lot of my guests checked into their hotels and took a nap, OR went to a bar to start the party early. Either way, I think everyone had a good time.
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My first wedding has the be the worse wedding even, I was far too young.

My father was very drunk even before the wedding, I got married at 11.30 in the morning. He was so drunk he made the restaurant staff cry, made me cry and was an *kitten* all day. Both myself and my husband didn't know half the people there, parents decided to invite their friends. Marriage only lasted 5 years.

However I must add I remarried this year and it was awesome, the best wedding I've been to. :-)