Catty Women

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I've worked with all women, and with all men....now its probably 90/10 male/female ratio. I have to say...some guys can be just as bad, or worse than women when it comes to that stuff, but I'd still NEVER willingly take a job in an office with all women every again :noway:

This is why when hiring, I'll look at women as a last resort. I'm a software engineer, and long and short, having women in the office just ****s up the vibe. It's much better to be efficient communicators - transfer the information (good bad or indifferent) and move on - without worrying about anyone's friggin feelings.
    Seriously! We have this 20 year old intern who all the guys are drooling over, and there's not a week that goes by where someone doesn't come and complain to me about her clothes being too tight, or her heels too high. 99% of the time, she's completely covered, her skirts to or just above the knee, and her neckline appropriate..but these catty cows don't like the attention she gets..... I want to say "get over it...you were that age once too" SMH....

wow....ummm.. it sounds to me like both your HR departments are in need of serious help. It has nothing to do with being women... it has to do with work ethic and personality traits... perhaps future interviews should be more comprehensive. This is a problem within your hiring process not one that you should be putting on an entire female population.
    ahhh...if only the solution were so simple and the world so ideal. I'm at a HUGE multi-national company, and if all the experienced, educated, qualified (but catty personality) people got fired (or weren't hired), I suspect we'd have about 5 people left here to do the work...
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I've worked with all women, and with all men....now its probably 90/10 male/female ratio. I have to say...some guys can be just as bad, or worse than women when it comes to that stuff, but I'd still NEVER willingly take a job in an office with all women every again :noway:

This is why when hiring, I'll look at women as a last resort. I'm a software engineer, and long and short, having women in the office just ****s up the vibe. It's much better to be efficient communicators - transfer the information (good bad or indifferent) and move on - without worrying about anyone's friggin feelings.

Careful. Some companies will terminate employment for idiotic things posted on the internet. Especially things that are illegal. Perhaps having your picture as your avatar is a bad idea.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

:noway:

Where I come from that is illegal. It's discriminatory hiring practices. A potential employee's gender should not enter into the hiring decision. If you are in the states, you could be opening yourself and your company up to EEO suits. Probably not the smartest thing in the world to post this on a public website.

*shrug*

I don't prefer working with women. There's nothing that could be done in court. How is someone going to know my pre-screening practices? Who's gonna bring the suit?

You have a wife. Daughters? Sisters? How would you feel if your daughter worked just as hard as any man to get a degree and experience, then didn't get a job because she's a women?

What about you? What if you were trying for a new job and the hiring person prefers not to work with anyone over 40? Or 250lbs? "Old fat people are lazy, lets not give him the job."
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Seriously! We have this 20 year old intern who all the guys are drooling over, and there's not a week that goes by where someone doesn't come and complain to me about her clothes being too tight, or her heels too high. 99% of the time, she's completely covered, her skirts to or just above the knee, and her neckline appropriate..but these catty cows don't like the attention she gets..... I want to say "get over it...you were that age once too" SMH....

wow....ummm.. it sounds to me like both your HR departments are in need of serious help. It has nothing to do with being women... it has to do with work ethic and personality traits... perhaps future interviews should be more comprehensive. This is a problem within your hiring process not one that you should be putting on an entire female population.
    ahhh...if only the solution were so simple and the world so ideal. I'm at a HUGE multi-national company, and if all the experienced, educated, qualified (but catty personality) people got fired (or weren't hired), I suspect we'd have about 5 people left here to do the work...

Huh, so at the HUGE multi-national company, everyone there but 5 people are female and catty.... yikes, you should look for a new job.
  • sld5829
    sld5829 Posts: 1
    Options
    Not all women are catty, I think it's just the ones that are jealous. They have a desire to make fun of, talk about, put down, etc any woman they feel threatened by. It is very sad. Speaking up was the right thing to do and if you met more women who were not so immature, you would have some wonderful girlfriends for life!!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I feel very fortunate that I haven't had to deal with catty brats since high school.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    If most women you ever came in contact with were catty b@tches, forgive me for assuming that it might actually be you who has a problem.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I work in an office that is only women. Today on the lawn they are holding a ceremony to honor fallen officers, so there are a lot of police officers outside getting ready. Most of us are hanging at the window drooling over the eye candy because, well, who doesn't love a man in uniform? Anyways, one of the officer's wife walks up with their son and she is drop dead gorgeous. All of the women start making comments. "Oh, my god! Look at her hair! It has to be bleached." "Her boobs are too big for her body. They are fake." And on and on. I mean they referred to her as being a prostitute and everything else. I'm sitting there thinking that I couldn't imagine being this woman and feeling that kind of venom just for being pretty. I spoke up and said that I bet she's super nice and called them out on it, but they didn't care. This is why I don't have many female friends. Are all women so catty?

Its disgusting behavior. I'm glad you called them out on it. Women should empower each other and not tear each other down. Dreadful.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    My mom raised me to believe that we women are all on the same team and that we have enough going against us already so we shouldn't try to sabotage each other. I think that is something that has really stuck with me!!

I completely agree with this! I think it's a bit of an overgeneralization to say all or even most women are catty, because I've had plenty of female friends in my lifetime who are not catty at all. You just have to find the right people to have in your life. Growing up I was a tomboy and had mostly male friends, but now I have a close group of girlfriends I wouldn't trade for the world.

Some people are rude, both women and men. Just avoid those people and it's alllll gooood.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    What about you? What if you were trying for a new job and the hiring person prefers not to work with anyone over 40? Or 250lbs? "Old fat people are lazy, lets not give him the job."

This is a real phenomenon.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Where I come from that is illegal. It's discriminatory hiring practices. A potential employee's gender should not enter into the hiring decision. If you are in the states, you could be opening yourself and your company up to EEO suits. Probably not the smartest thing in the world to post this on a public website.

*shrug*

I don't prefer working with women. There's nothing that could be done in court. How is someone going to know my pre-screening practices? Who's gonna bring the suit?

I hope, for your sake, you never get to experience the "fun" of having someone file against you. I have been there, and it is not a fun position to be in. I had a complaint filed against me for dicriminatory hiring practices. They alleged that I was discriminating against white males who were over 40. It took months of investigations, and confiscating my hiring records before the complaint was dismissed. It was a very miserable and stressful period in my life, and I had clear documentation as to why the complaint was false.

That came about because I had an insider who told this candidate that I hired all women who were under 25 which was true at the time, (2 employees total from which there were no male applicants). In reality, I hadn't selected anyone from the applicants for the position he was applting for. He got wind of that, and filed a complaint. They went over my life with a fine-toothed comb.

And as for knowing what your pre-screening practices, you just admitted to the world in general what they are. What if someone who applied for one of your jobs happen to be on this site, and recognize you and file a suit after printing this page? There is an answer as to who might file...
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If most women you ever came in contact with were catty b@tches, forgive me for assuming that it might actually be you who has a problem.

Not necessarily. It could really be her peer group / environment. It's been my experience that women in big cities are less catty than those in suburbs and small towns. Successful ambitious women are less catty than those who are just working to pass the time. Even certain industries seem to have more cattiness than others.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options

Let me get this straight, you do not hire any women because women mess up the vibe of your office and lack the ability to get to the point and separate feelings from work? :noway:

To the OP I enjoyed the post until the comment about "no female friends" I have learned with age you can have female friends that are not catty or snobs at all. I work in nursing and 90% of my field is female (and surprising to some people as this may be, we haven't killed any one or caused harm due to our lack of control of OUR FEELINGS) and though there are plenty of these cats around that just cannot say nice, and enjoy throwing digs out at other women, there are also women that are nice and a blast to be around.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Huh, so at the HUGE multi-national company, everyone there but 5 people are female and catty.... yikes, you should look for a new job.

They never said they were female. See the bolded section above. Female was never mentioned.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. It could really be her peer group / environment. It's been my experience that women in big cities are less catty than those in suburbs and small towns. Successful ambitious women are less catty than those who are just working to pass the time. Even certain industries seem to have more cattiness than others.
    People with no dreams/ambitions might be "catty" out of boredom or jealousy. One should still strive to get out of that environment. To a certain extent you create your environment anyways.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    inbeforethelock.jpg

and

Wow, there is some serious misogyny going on in this thread... from both men and women.

OP, how old are you and this is your first encounter with a group of catty women? I want to live where you live. Yes, catty women exist. No, not all women are catty, and not all catty women are catty every single day. Oh, and

34f52bb69bf5aa807d2d085895c9c2601_zpsf67f8c18.jpg
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

*shrug*

You have a wife. Daughters? Sisters? How would you feel if your daughter worked just as hard as any man to get a degree and experience, then didn't get a job because she's a women?

He responded but conveniently ignored this part of your post.
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options

They never said they were female. See the bolded section above. Female was never mentioned.

That's true. However, the OP was regarding catty females, then the post which this particular convo started was based on a catty female. I still, with reason, thought that the conversation was about females. But I could have misunderstood the comment as well.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

*shrug*

He responded but conveniently ignored this part of your post.

My mother has only sisters. My father has only sisters. I have 2 sisters. I have no male cousins. I have no nephews. I have 2 sons.

And hey, when it hits close to home, it's "different", eh?
  • karibrit
    karibrit Posts: 29
    Options
    Catty women?
    I am sorry. That is sexist. Jealousy, and the need to bring down someone we might envy, is a human thing.
    Why does it get solely attributed to women?
    It is cruel and unnecessary and petty no matter who does it.

That is it exactly, it is a human condition brought about by envy and perhaps even jealously which is stronger and tinged with resentment. It's an attitude expressed by people who generally do not feel good about themselves male or female. Historically, women get the blame for it as they usually do more of the talking, bonding, and venting with other women.

Age or maturity does not diminish the cattiness, it can strike at any age depending on the level of unhappiness, despondency, and negative feelings the person may have of their own life. The catty attitude feeds uncontrollably in a group setting—usually female but not always. It’s an affliction really, best to steer clear.