SIZE ZERO!!!!!

Options

Replies

• grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    I had been a size zero up until I turned 50. I had always been thin until then and healthy as a horse. When I was much younger a size 0 was actually a size 3/4. Never had trouble finding clothes until around 20. Suddenly all the size 3/4 were too big! Found out the industry eliminated them, didn't feel there was enough little people to warrant the size any longer and just labled the 5/6 as a 3/4 and so on for the other sizes. Had to shop in the kids section for years!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' tall, but don't think I'll ever be that small in the waist due to scoliosis. Clothing sizes were different when I was younger. I used to wear a 5. Don't know what size that translates to now. The size that I'll wear when I get to my goal is yet to be determined, but I'm excited to find out!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Maybe for a younger not fully grown woman. But once you have curves, it's kind of unrealistic. Maybe for women who have a straighter body type. And you would have to work really hard to keep that up.

Or you know.... Just be short.

I've always been a size zero or double zero. I'm curvy with big boobs and a big butt and hips, but still a zero. But I'm also tiny height wise as 5 foot.

As long as someone is happy in their body and healthy they can be a 0 or a 24 or whatever. I could care less. Heck, with every store having different sizing your going to be various sizes anyways. A size 0 at one storr could mean a size 3 in a different store.
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    okay, the size zero trend hit the fashion industry and never really faded..... Do you think size zero is a healthy possibility? and can anybody with willpower attain it? my opinions are, yes, size zero is a healthy possibility and i think anybody can attain it (look at bebo, man!)
    What do you think?
    Size zero became very popular in India after one particular Indian actress worked her way to one for a film role. She had the support of a nutritionist, a yoga teacher and the whole works. She put on some weight and became a healthy size subsequently. Because that's what her other film roles demanded. In India a relative high body fat is considered attractive instead of a ripped look.
    Indian food in general is very high in carbs. So it is difficult for an average girl to become size zero in a healthy way in India.
    That being said, I was a size zero in my twenties. Only I did not know that. But I liked my svelte waist and model like thin and high cheekbones. Then came the roaring thirties and forties and fifties. :smile:
    Oh by the way I used to be a plump girl always. In my twenties I lost a lot of weight just by doing IF..................only I did not know it is called so at that time. Till today IF has been an easy way for me to keep my weight in control.:wink:
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Why get focused on a particular size of clothing? Instead, strive to be as healthy as you can without the added pressure of fitting into something. I would much rather see someone who is living life to it's fullest as a size 8, or even 10, than someone who is always sacrificing to be a size 0.

Do what you feel is best for you, but this is my $.02

^ This.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Size 0 is swimming on me. Try a Banana Republic or Ann Taylor, they are more like a size 6.

The Banana Republic Petite sizes fit me fine in the 00 (the petite 00 is smaller than the regular 00), the "curvy" size was not to my liking because they seemed like mom jeans (so it does depend on the style). But, I do have a curvy booty, so I know there are people that would need a smaller size than me. The quality of the clothing is very good. I haven't tried AnnTaylor (that's a US store). It's places like Old Navy and J.Crew that have xs and 00 that are way too big.

What stores do you shop at to find sizes that fit? Most stores don't go smaller than a 2. If they fit you, then they should definitely have sizes that would fit me as well. I prefer petite sizes because there is less extra material to deal with.

Also, to the others, who cares if it's vanity sizing. If sizing changed and I ended up being a size 2 or whatever, I would be fine with that, then I'd have more clothing options anyway. Vanity sizing is only an issue when it bumps us out of the clothing store because the smallest size is too big. And there is really no need for that. I am small, but there are most definitely people that are smaller in the hips/booty than me.

Also, it's annoying all the judgements on this size. How would people react in the forums if we posted a thread that was some other size and then we proceeded to judge and trash "any adult that wears that size". Just think about it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Size zero became very popular in India after one particular Indian actress worked her way to one for a film role. She had the support of a nutritionist, a yoga teacher and the whole works. She put on some weight and became a healthy size subsequently. Because that's what her other film roles demanded. In India a relative high body fat is considered attractive instead of a ripped look.
    Indian food in general is very high in carbs. So it is difficult for an average girl to become size zero in a healthy way in India.
    That being said, I was a size zero in my twenties. Only I did not know that. But I liked my svelte waist and model like thin and high cheekbones. Then came the roaring thirties and forties and fifties. :smile:
    Oh by the way I used to be a plump girl always. In my twenties I lost a lot of weight just by doing IF..................only I did not it is called so at that time. Till today IF has been an easy way for me to keep my weight in control.:wink:

I think India's size 0 is the UK size 0 (I've been to India). The US size 0 is more like a UK size 4, so keep that in mind when you hear us (from North America) talking about the sizes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    with vanity sizing, anyone can be a zero!

Sure, but a 23" waist is a 23" waist. Were a size 0, 40 years ago really that much smaller?

There weren't size 0s 40 years ago. I didn't see my first size 0 until the early 1990s.

Sizing has changed. I remember when I was in college, during the reign of the supermodels (Cindy, Claudia, Linda, Naomi), supermodels wore a size 8. Now, models who wear a size 8 are considered plus sized models. And as gorgeous as the plus sized models are, they're not as slender as a 1980s-1990s model. Size 8 is bigger now than it was then.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I vary beween a size 4-6. I could probably fit into a zero, but honestly, I have no desire to look/have the body type of a 12 year old girl.

eh, at 12 I was 120 lbs and a C cup working my way into a D cup. At 12 I was more shapely than quite a few adult women. At 25 (almost 26) I'm 121 pounds, a size 0-2, and a DD. I'm 5'4' and have been that height since I was 13.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options
    with vanity sizing, anyone can be a zero!

Sure, but a 23" waist is a 23" waist. Were a size 0, 40 years ago really that much smaller?

There weren't size 0s 40 years ago. I didn't see my first size 0 until the early 1990s.

Sizing has changed. I remember when I was in college, during the reign of the supermodels (Cindy, Claudia, Linda, Naomi), supermodels wore a size 8. Now, models who wear a size 8 are considered plus sized models. And as gorgeous as the plus sized models are, they're not as slender as a 1980s-1990s model. Size 8 is bigger now than it was then.

I thought size 0 was invented in 1966...
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    So, now I realize that when they talk about banning size 0 for models, they are talking about a UK size 0. That makes more sense to me now. I thought it was strange to ban the size I wear. But, I can understand if they are actually talking about a much smaller size.

ETA: I just hope the next time someone wants to post a size 0 thread that they do a search and read this and all the other threads on this topic. Amazing that a clothing size can generate 11 pages and counting and that this is not the first time a thread like this has been posted.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options
    Also, since vanity sizing comes up a lot in general, very interesting link about it http://www.vanitysizing.com/

Not 100% agreeing with it, but still worth a read.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Try a thrift shop -- Goodwill and salvation army. Many women give up the idea of being a size 0-2 and just donate to declutter. I got most of my size 0-2 at a Goodwill store because there was not anywhere else to shop it.

That's where I get 99% of my new smaller clothes :) I've gotten some great, new with tag pieces, for a couple bucks a piece. Love Goodwill/thrift shops!

eta: weird it put my response in a quote format lol.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm a size zero and sometimes double zero. I tend to shop in the Juniors section. Definitely not starved either... I probably eat more than 75% of you. Plus extremely strong.. my husband is over twice my size and I kicked his *kitten* in arm wrestling (although he gave me a little advantage). I'm able to wrestle him and win as well as able to apply a punch or a kick that is known to knock out people and break bones (not proud of, but I have done). Also able to run for long distances and faster than most. If I was starved, this wouldn't be possible. So, you guys hating on smaller women need to reevaluate yourselves...
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I'm a size zero and sometimes double zero. I tend to shop in the Juniors section. Definitely not starved either... I probably eat more than 75% of you. Plus extremely strong.. my husband is over twice my size and I kicked his *kitten* in arm wrestling (although he gave me a little advantage). I'm able to wrestle him and win as well as able to apply a punch or a kick that is known to knock out people and break bones (not proud of, but I have done). Also able to run for long distances and faster than most. If I was starved, this wouldn't be possible. So, you guys hating on smaller women need to reevaluate yourselves...

:drinker:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Well said!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I vary beween a size 4-6. I could probably fit into a zero, but honestly, I have no desire to look/have the body type of a 12 year old girl.

eh, at 12 I was 120 lbs and a C cup working my way into a D cup. At 12 I was more shapely than quite a few adult women. At 25 (almost 26) I'm 121 pounds, a size 0-2, and a DD. I'm 5'4' and have been that height since I was 13.

Me, too. I was at my current height with hips and boobs by 12. I started my period when I was 11. I was taller than everyone up until that point. Then I stopped growing and they kept growing and I ended up one of the shorties! lol But I've had my hourglass figure since I was about 10 years old.

That said, without trying, my body just dropped a bunch of weight between 12 and 15 and I ended up much smaller when I was older. I guess something to do with hormones and puberty. I don't think 115 pounds for me -- maybe even 110 -- at 36 years old is unattainable or unhealthy. I have a small frame.

I have no idea what size that is, but when I was a teenager, it was a juniors' size 3.
  • moonpieto
    moonpieto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know someone 4'6", she might be able to do it.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I know someone 4'6", she might be able to do it.

If you are that tall, anything but a size 0 might be too heavy ...lol
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well like others have said it really depends on bone structure and height. I am on MFP to gain weight, and just hit the bottom of a healthy BMI. I've been size 0 and sometimes 00 for years, though when I reach my ultimate goal I may end up fitting into size 1 instead (that would be a good thing - easier to find, more selection). The reason I can be a healthy size 0 is because I have a really small frame, my hips don't stick out too much, and I'm 4 foot 10 inches.