Girls wear certain clothes when they are looking

Options

Replies

• wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    OPI know you were not talking about dressing slutty.
    I mean no offense by this quote, but I left the quote from Dave Chappelle as it originally was stated.

The girl says "Oh uh-uh, wait a minute! Wait a minute! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a *kitten*!" Which is true. Gentlemen, that is true. Just because they dress a certain way doesn't mean they are a certain way. Don't ever forget it. But ladies, you must understand that is f****ing confusing. It just is. Now that would be like me, Dave Chappelle, the comedian, walking down the street in a cop uniform. Somebody might run up on me, saying, "Oh, thank God. Officer, help us! Come on. They're over here. Help us!" "Oh-hoh! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a police officer!" See what I mean? All right, ladies, fine. You are not a *kitten*. But you are wearing a *kitten*'s uniform.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Quote studies please beez. To back up your assertion that women who shave their legs and wear heels are looking for sex.

So, the converse is also true? Women who don't shave their legs and who wear flats are discouraging sexual attention?

LOL!

I'm not even going to waste my time. Read (gulp!) the Mating Mind by Geoffery Miller if you want your studies. However, I can tell your mind is completely closed, so no study will convince you.

I bet you love wearing lip stick huh?

Please don't think that I expect you to waste your time.

Miller posits that evolution has been driven less by survival characteristics (who can kill the mammoth/survive the famine) and more by attractive characteristics (the sexy beast has the babies). I suppose you extend this to infer that women who shave their legs and wear high heels are doing their best to ensure they pass on their genetic heritage.

This argument ignores culture. I might love wearing lipstick, but if my culture decides that lipstick is naff then I am babyless. Attractive characteristics change in human culture.

Miller doesn't necessarily say survival characteristics had less of an impact on evolution than sexual selection. It was/is a combination of both which drove/drives evolution in humans. Also, he does not ignore culture. In fact, he says "culture" was created by both the survival and sexual drives. Also, "your culture" doesn't decide anything. So, I don't get your argument.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I may or may not shave my legs when I go out... I'm not the type to take someone home the first time I meet them so it tends to be outfit dependent anyway. Too much trouble to do it every day and my hair doesn't grow that fast.

I rarely wear high heels.

But I do tend to try to dress in an outfit that makes me feel Sexy when I'm out and hope to meet a guy. If I'm going out with my friends I may want to look good but would be okay if the out fit was more cute than sexy.

And when I go out dressed like I am in my profile picture I expect comments, cat calls, but don't intend to really truly consider anyone I meet dressed like that...all they can see is boobs anyway.

That said, dressed Sexy, cute, or like my profile picture, I reserve the right to set straight anyone who sees the way I'm dressed as an invitation to touch anything they aren't invited to touch...

No one is implying (at least I am not) that if you dress sexy, other people have a right to touch you inappropriately. I don't care if you walk down the street buck a** naked. If someone touches you in a wrong way, or worse, they belong in jail.
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    LOL the way I dress is not an animal instinct to get fcked. I enjoy expressing what clothing I think is visually interesting.

My goal when I want to look sexy isn't always to attract a mate, actually it hardly ever is. OOOO FCKING SHOCKER.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm.....I always shave my legs and wear heels. Guess I should sharpie 'wanna fvck' on my forehead too??
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm.....I always shave my legs and wear heels. Guess I should sharpie 'wanna fvck' on my forehead too??

I'm pretty good at taking directions that are printed on someone's forehead! Just sayin :flowerforyou:
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Right...this falls under the old 80s feminist heading ' Women must look like a man to be taken seriously'. Whatever.

I wear skirt suits for my corporate job. I shave my legs because no one wants to see that. I wear heels because flats can make the outfit look dowdy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I cant tell you when or where this study was, but I read once there is a correlation to the amount of cleavage a woman shows and if she is ovulating. A woman ovulating will almost always dress more seductively and expose more cleavage, according to this one study, to ensure a sexual encounter. So this comedian may be onto something...who knows.

All I know is it's fun to go into a club now and guess who's ovulating!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Right...this falls under the old 80s feminist heading ' Women must look like a man to be taken seriously'. Whatever.

I wear skirt suits for my corporate job. I shave my legs because no one wants to see that. I wear heels because flats can make the outfit look dowdy.

Why is it just less than 100 years it has been unacceptable for a woman to have hairy legs? Fight the power grow the hair!
  • craigmandu
    Options
    LOL the way I dress is not an animal instinct to get fcked. I enjoy expressing what clothing I think is visually interesting.

My goal when I want to look sexy isn't always to attract a mate, actually it hardly ever is. OOOO FCKING SHOCKER.

LOL....visually interesting? Really? Visually interesting to who exactly?

Here's the truth, if you dress sexy, men will notice it, just the way we are wired. We will approach you more, we will look (probably stare), and you will get hit on more.

Doesn't matter if that is your goal or not....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I actually glue hair to my legs when I'm looking for a mate so he doesn't expect me to shave them on a regular basis.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Why is it just less than 100 years it has been unacceptable for a woman to have hairy legs? Fight the power grow the hair!

What if I like the smooth look? lol Feminism is where I determine my path in life without male or societal constraints, and if I like the smooth legs, well then darn it, I'm gonna have the smooth legs.
  • hauntao
    Options

Here's the truth, if you dress sexy, men will notice it, just the way we are wired. We will approach you more, we will look (probably stare), and you will get hit on more.

Visually interesting to me. Maybe someone will have a common interest in color, composition or fabric. If I wanted to get laid, I'd fcking go around naked.

I'm not dressing for other people. How is that so hard to comprehend?
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    this thread is a damn mess and most of it is coming from females.
  • craigmandu
    Options

Visually interesting to me. Maybe someone will have a common interest in color, composition or fabric. If I wanted to get laid, I'd fcking go around naked.

I'm not trying to tell you why you wear something....I'm simply telling you how men will react to that choice...

Wear whatever you want...but don't get pissy when you get hit on if it is sexy and appealing to the opposite sex. If it looks like you are "flaunting what you have", we're probably gonna want to see if you want more!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Quote studies please beez. To back up your assertion that women who shave their legs and wear heels are looking for sex.

So, the converse is also true? Women who don't shave their legs and who wear flats are discouraging sexual attention?

Wait. Women shave their legs? Since when?

I need to talk to my wife.

LOL I dont know when it happened I think sometime during WWII but gillette or some other evil razor corporation didn't have enough of a female market and made this propaganda that women need to start shaving. And the idiot dolts we are we bought into this simple advertising campaign and the bane of our existence was started waxing, plucking, razor burn, bleeding to be a hairless mammal! If we were smart we would fight this stupid trend and stop shaving and our men will once again that accept a beaver is only good when it's furry.
  • hauntao
    Options

I'm not trying to tell you why you wear something....I'm simply telling you how men will react to that choice...

Wear whatever you want...but don't get pissy when you get hit on if it is sexy and appealing to the opposite sex. If it looks like you are "flaunting what you have", we're probably gonna want to see if you want more!

It's not their right to assume that what I want from my clothing choices is their attention. If a guy wore assless chaps I'd probably ask him why he's wearing them, not belly up to him and start hitting on him. Then again, I don't view humans as flesh sacks, sooooo.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I cant tell you when or where this study was, but I read once there is a correlation to the amount of cleavage a woman shows and if she is ovulating. A woman ovulating will almost always dress more seductively and expose more cleavage, according to this one study, to ensure a sexual encounter. So this comedian may be onto something...who knows.

All I know is it's fun to go into a club now and guess who's ovulating!

What if all of my shirts expose cleavage? I've never bought a shirt that wasn't framing the ladies. My t-shirts show it, my going out shirts have it, my pj's have it...that's just how I dress.

I shave my legs because my hair is curly and I suffer from in-grown hair otherwise and no one wants to see that when I wear my shorts out and about. In-grown hair and the pimples/bumps that follow are just not cute.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Some women some of the time want to attract sexual attention in the same way that some men do too.

This does not mean that those women want sexual attention all of the time.

It also does not mean that all women with bare legs and heels on want sexual attention.

Statements like this only encourage a negative environment for women by encouraging and enabling attitude that men are entitled to approach and say what they want to women who are strangers to them, and encourages street harrassment and unsolicited attention.

What on earth is so controversial and excitingly new about spouting more nonsense from an old stuck 'she dresses like this so she is asking for it' attitude that is frankly dangerous and negative for both men and women.

Also, how about the shocking revelations that:
    - how hetrosexual women dress is not always with a man in mind - or to attract a male
    - a women walking around in little to no clothing is not 'asking for it'
    - if you think, as a hetro man, that if a woman is dressed in one way and not another, it gives you more entitlement to approach her unsolicited and flirt or try to touch her, then you really need to reassess your values and the way you treat women - would you want the same for your sister, mother, daughter, wife, girlfriend?
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Horm Behav. 2007 Jan;51(1):40-5. Epub 2006 Oct 12.
    Ovulatory shifts in human female ornamentation: near ovulation, women dress to impress.
    Haselton MG, Mortezaie M, Pillsworth EG, Bleske-Rechek A, Frederick DA.

At above-chance levels, 42 judges selected photographs of women in their fertile (59.5%) rather than luteal phase (40.5%) as "trying to look more attractive."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17045994