Fast Food Meal Builder

Options

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I love when these topics come up, if you look at the replies, most of the time the people against fast food haven't loss much weight and the ones who have say "just make it fit and move on".

Yet those people are still told they are wrong....

Using weight lost isn't necessarily a valid comparison. It's very possible (maybe even probable) that people who are averse to eating fast food don't have much (if any) weight to lose.

I eat fast food a few times a month, but at the same time, I would not advocate that anyone eat it--particularly if you're trying to lose weight. Should my opinion be discounted simply because I am only trying to lose 20-30 lbs instead of 150? What if I was just looking to stay at the same weight?
    I don't think I understand your point. I've lost 60 pounds in the last 18 months, and I eat fast food pretty regularly. I have about 10 pounds til my goal weight, and I still eat it. When it comes to how to lose weight, of course the people who've lost more weight will have more personal experience...it just doesn't take the same amount of time to lose 10 pounds that it does 100...more time generally (not always) means more experience and insight. And if a person can lose 150 pounds (or 60 in my case) while eating fast food, what makes you think they couldn't lose 10 or 20 while eating fast food?

If I missed your point, let me know, because like I said I don't really understand what you're trying to get at.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    McDonald's Sweet Chili Chicken wrap with grilled chicken- 360 calories
    Apple slices- 30 calories
    Bottled water- 0
    Total Calories- 390
  • ntaylorut
    ntaylorut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am on the road for work 3 to 4 days per week, so I have to eat fast food because that is all I have time for. I try to pack my lunch and eat in the car but that doesn't always happen.

So, here are my go to places.
    Taco Bell
    - chicken or steak fresca tacos - 150 calories each, I get 3 of them and I am filled up for 450 calories

Wendy's
    - Grilled chicken go-wraps with no cheese or sauce (only lettuce), I then ask for hot sauce packets and put that on - 180 calories each.

McDonald's
    - their new premium McWrap (sweet chilli) is only 360 calories and it fills me up

Sometimes I throw in a small fry to those if I have calories or if I am craving one, but I always make it a small.

If I have time to sit down, I go with Applebees or Subway.

If I need a snack and stop at a gas station, I get either a GoLean chocolate peanut butter protein bar (200 cal) or beef jerky (120 a packet)

This has worked for me.
  • ajmiller1987
    ajmiller1987 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love when these topics come up, if you look at the replies, most of the time the people against fast food haven't loss much weight and the ones who have say "just make it fit and move on".

Using weight lost isn't necessarily a valid comparison. It's very possible (maybe even probable) that people who are averse to eating fast food don't have much (if any) weight to lose.

I eat fast food a few times a month, but at the same time, I would not advocate that anyone eat it--particularly if you're trying to lose weight. Should my opinion be discounted simply because I am only trying to lose 20-30 lbs instead of 150? What if I was just looking to stay at the same weight?
    I don't think I understand your point. I've lost 60 pounds in the last 18 months, and I eat fast food pretty regularly. I have about 10 pounds til my goal weight, and I still eat it. When it comes to how to lose weight, of course the people who've lost more weight will have more personal experience...it just doesn't take the same amount of time to lose 10 pounds that it does 100...more time generally (not always) means more experience and insight. And if a person can lose 150 pounds (or 60 in my case) while eating fast food, what makes you think they couldn't lose 10 or 20 while eating fast food?

If I missed your point, let me know, because like I said I don't really understand what you're trying to get at.

I understand that there's more than one way to skin a cat; it's certainly possible to lose weight eating any variety of foods.

My point wasn't saying that people who have lost a lot of weight don't have valid opinions, obviously they have done something right along the way to lose 20, 40, 50, etc. lbs.

My issue with your post was the "most of the time the people against fast food haven't loss much weight" part. Just because someone doesn't have a bunch of weight to lose (or hasn't yet lost much weight) doesn't mean that their opinion is less valid, just as you are claiming that people who might still eat some fast food and have lost a bunch of weight can have a valid point/opinion.

I do agree on the principle that a lot of people blow any sort of unhealthy meal out proportion. You don't lose all the weight in a single meal or day or week, so I don't see the point in obsessing over a little bit of a bender at Five Guys one afternoon or eating a few lunches at Chipotle during the week.
  • rgrace03
    rgrace03 Posts: 6
    Options
    When I eat fast food I will go to Taco Bell and get a taco (170 calories) and a pintos and cheese (180 calories) so my total meal is around 350 calories. I also go to subway and get a chicken breast sandwich with cheese, no mayo, no mustard, just lettuce and peppers, not sure on the exact calories on that but I know it is under 400 for the meal. No chips, and water or diet soda to drink. I try to stay around 400 or less calories per meal.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Prove it.

Calories matter.

Nutrient sufficiency matters.

Having fast food once in a while, and trying to get low calorie fast food so you stay under your calories, does not.
    I understand that there's more than one way to skin a cat; it's certainly possible to lose weight eating any variety of foods.

My point wasn't saying that people who have lost a lot of weight don't have valid opinions, obviously they have done something right along the way to lose 20, 40, 50, etc. lbs.

My issue with your post was the "most of the time the people against fast food haven't loss much weight" part. Just because someone doesn't have a bunch of weight to lose (or hasn't yet lost much weight) doesn't mean that their opinion is less valid, just as you are claiming that people who might still eat some fast food and have lost a bunch of weight can have a valid point/opinion.

I do agree on the principle that a lot of people blow any sort of unhealthy meal out proportion. You don't lose all the weight in a single meal or day or week, so I don't see the point in obsessing over a little bit of a bender at Five Guys one afternoon or eating a few lunches at Chipotle during the week.

Opinions matter a whole lot less than science. That goes for both sides of the argument.

If you eat more than you burn, you gain weight, regardless of food source. Why? Because thermodynamics.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    lmao you neither of you get what im saying.

He had to eat 5000 fing cals a day to feel full not worry about his cal intake, just eating as normal.

The twinkie dork ate at a cal def. to prove a point that you can lose weight eating anything, i agree with that you can.

Point is you will struggle to be at a cal deficit eating crap all day.

No, he set out to prove that fast food will make you fat. However, he failed miserably at his attempt because of the multiple variables and all the inaccuracies of his experiment.

Bottom line? He ate too many calories. He could've made better choices and not gained the weight.

No?

He ate just the same as everyday people eat when they order fast food. Just ordered the food as it appears on the menu.

Watch this video, Rob Riches knows more about this topic than 99% of you and he had to dissect mcdonalds before he would put it in his mouth. Worth it? Absolutely not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJx9ktbFGQ8

I have no idea who that is but I'm going to hazard a guess that Lyle McDonald knows a little more about nutrition.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html
    This study basically backs up what I’ve been saying for years: a single fast food meal, within the context of a calorie controlled diet, is not death on a plate. It won’t destroy your diet and it won’t make you immediately turn into a big fat pile of blubber. And, frankly, this can be predicted on basic physiology (in terms of nutrient digestion) alone. It’s just nice to see it verified in a controlled setting.

It’s not uncommon for the physique obsessed to literally become social pariahs, afraid to eat out because eating out is somehow defined as ‘unclean’ (never mind that a grilled chicken breast eaten out is fundamentally no different than a grilled chicken breast cooked at home) and fast food is, of course, the death of any diet. This is in addition to the fact that apparently eating fast food makes you morally inferior as well. Well, that’s what bodybuilders and other orthorexics will tell you anyhow.

Except that it’s clearly not. Given caloric control, the body’s response to a given set of nutrients, with the exception of blood lipids would appear to be more determined by the total caloric and macro content of that meal more than the source of the food.

In terms of the hormonal response, clean vs. unclean just doesn’t matter, it’s all about calories and macros.

Which is what I’ve been saying all along.

Bro who cares what a scientist says in his study...rob riches walks the walk and looks the part (top fitness model), ill trust him and you trust that guy.

whatever credibility you had until this point is gone with that statement. seriously.
  • wolverine66
    Options
    For the OP.

McDonald's breakfast (pick one):
    1) 2 orders scrambled eggs - 340 cal, 2 carb, 22 fat, 30 protein
    2) Egg McMuffin - 300 cal, 15 carb, 12 fat, 18 protein

McDonald's lunch or dinner:
    Premium Grilled Chicken Classic Sandwich w/no mayo - 300 cal, 41 carb, 3.5 fat, 27 protein I add a packet of light mayo (so I can actually control how much mayo I get) which adds another 45 cal & 4 fat.

I personally cannot eat french fries--too many carbs for me & they are a total trigger food. Once I start eating them, I don't stop. I try to keep all of my meals less than 400 calories & I can generally find something to eat at any fast food place--I love fast food. I am soooooooooo LAZY & I hate to cook. I have McDonald's for breakfast nearly every day after I drop my kids off at school & on weekends I will usually skip that meal because I don't want to bother making something.

french fries is a total trigger food for me too. And they have so many calories.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So I am pretty sure I am not the only one out there where fast food is way more convenient than any other ways of getting food for myself, so I wanted to create a fast food meal builder thread! :D I know fast food is bad, and I do cook at home a good amount of the week, but sometimes its fast food! I also know how many calories fast food can be, and try to make the best filling/"healthier"/lower calorie meals. So I will share my own meal build and would like you guys to do the same, I'll get it started! :D One of my go-to places would be Wendy's, so this is what I would eat. They are always more calories than homemade food, but we gotta do what we gotta do! And Subway does count! This is a great way to alternate food options!

Wendy's
    Crispy Chicken Sandwich (value menu) W/O Mayo- 330 calories
    Small fries- 320 calories
    Small chilli with cheese- 270
    Diet Coke or water- 0 calories
    Meal calorie total= 920 calories

Lol subway and wendys are fattening as hell...only real fast food is Chipotle and even then you have to be careful

No single food is "fattening".

I have a go to option at all of the fast food places. I don't particularly like greasey stuff anyway so my preferences tend to be lower cals. (so I get more of them :smile:)

Go watch that documentary where the guy eats McDonalds for breakfast lunch and dinner for 30 days straight and get back to me about the "no single food is fattening". Case closed.

This guys posts are the dumbest I've read all day and that's saying a lot on these boards.

Back on topic:
    El pollo loco - grilled chicken salad with light creamy cilantro dressing = 300 cals 24carb/12fat/26pro
    add 3 more oz of chicken for another 100 cals and 20g more of protien

This is my go to lunch at least once a week
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    So I am pretty sure I am not the only one out there where fast food is way more convenient than any other ways of getting food for myself, so I wanted to create a fast food meal builder thread! :D I know fast food is bad, and I do cook at home a good amount of the week, but sometimes its fast food! I also know how many calories fast food can be, and try to make the best filling/"healthier"/lower calorie meals. So I will share my own meal build and would like you guys to do the same, I'll get it started! :D One of my go-to places would be Wendy's, so this is what I would eat. They are always more calories than homemade food, but we gotta do what we gotta do! And Subway does count! This is a great way to alternate food options!

Wendy's

Lol subway and wendys are fattening as hell...only real fast food is Chipotle and even then you have to be careful

No single food is "fattening".

I have a go to option at all of the fast food places. I don't particularly like greasey stuff anyway so my preferences tend to be lower cals. (so I get more of them :smile:)

Go watch that documentary where the guy eats McDonalds for breakfast lunch and dinner for 30 days straight and get back to me about the "no single food is fattening". Case closed.

He (Morgan Spurlock) gained weight because he ate too many calories every day, not because he ate only McDonald's.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The reason he gained so much weight was he was (reportedly) consuming approximately 5000 calories/day and basically living a sedentary lifestyle.

Exactly... He changed everything in his life. If he continued to exercise like normal, or if he made sure what he ate fit into his calorie goal he would be fine. But if they asked him to supersize, he did. If he had to walk more than about 100 steps, he took a cab. It was really ridiculous and not a very good example. It would have been much better (if less shocking) if he had just done one or the other.
  • wolverine66
    Options
    Oh and my contribution to the thread -

McDonald's
    Premium grilled chicken sammich - 350 cal
    Premium bacon ranch salad - 140 cal
    Total - 490
  • tigerlily886
    tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Subway. I love the black forest ham on flatbread. A six inch with spinach, lettuce, tomato, and light mayo is 350 calories. I usually get water or coke zero to drink.

I try to avoid McDonalds because I love their fries too much.

Zaxby's is high in calories, even their grilled chicken. The grilled chicken sandwich alone is 790 calories. I prefer Chick fil a. Their club grilled chicken, with bacon, is 430 calories. I don't know what Zaxby's does to their sandwiches to make it so fattening.
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Wendy's

Wow 920 calories in one meal?! I would try to pick a lower calorie meal such as a salad and watch the dressing or go for a grilled chicken sandwich no cheese or mayo, pick one fry or chili. I can have a large chili as a meal in itself! Do you eat snacks throughout the day? I am surprised that you have a calorie deficit if all your meals look similar to this one... not trying to be rude by any means, this just seems so high in calories! I eat around 400 cals at meal times and have 3-4 snacks that range from 100-250 each snack...
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You guys totally made me remember I have a Taco Bell in my town @_@ D: Saw some ideas that were pretty good choices over Wendy's! :D But I haveee to try dipping my original chicken sandwich in my chilli....That sounds too good lol

Burger King:
    Whopper Jr with Cheese
    Small Fries
    Small diet coke or water
    = 720 calories

Sometimes I like to fit in a small sundae for an extra 100 calories, so about 820 calories total :D

Those new Mcwraps at mcdonalds, the premium ones, I totally over estimated their calories, looks like I have to try one now!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You guys totally made me remember I have a Taco Bell in my town @_@ D: Saw some ideas that were pretty good choices over Wendy's! :D But I haveee to try dipping my original chicken sandwich in my chilli....That sounds too good lol
    Taco Bell is one of my favorites! And they have a lot of good options (calorie-wise at least)!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Jimmy John's #6 (vegetarian) unwich, hold the mayo = 143 calories
    Jimmy John's Thinny Chips, whole bag = 260 calories

Any JJ's unwich without the mayo should be very easy to fit into your calorie budget.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Wendy's
    what is the macro breakdown on that? I am pretty sure you just blew your carbs out for the day ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Wendy's

Subway isn't that bad, if you order the correct things lol Don't think there is a Chipotle's around here

Ok ok...if you get the subway salad and add in your own protein. Seems like all of subways meats are highly processed and they dont give you enough, they try to fill you up on a foot long of bread lol

I usually go with a six inch turkey on wheat with double meat ...it blows out my sodium for the day but the rest is pretty reasonable..but I prefer to pack my own lunch...
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If you have a panera bread near you, try going to their website before hand, because it lets you pretty much build the meal the way you want it, and it gives the calories. I've noticed a lot of nutritional sites give you the calories of the food the way it comes, not if you add or remove some items. Qdoba, is another one that is great at customizing it, so it makes it really easy to plan your calories ahead of time.

This is what I get at Panera a lot.

Half Smoked Turkey Breast on Country Total 230Cals
    Country Miche 150 Cals
    Smoked Turkey Breast 50 Cals
    Organic American Cheese 30 Cals

All Natural Low Fat Chicken Noodle (ingredients) Total 80Cals
    Serving: 9.5oz (267g)

French Baguette (ingredients) Total 150 Cals
    Serving: 2oz (57g)
    * Contains Wheat.

YOUR MEAL TOTAL 470 Cals