Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

It's a fad diet if...

Options

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

According to a survey I just made up, 82% of MFP users are sick of this thread.

:laugh:

I'm in the 18% then. I've been LMBO in this thread. :laugh: :wink:
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ok, wow!
    Such anger from some people.
    Anyhow...
    My opinion...for what it's worth.
    Check with your doctor to see what kinds of foods would work for you?
    My friend did the Atkins diet and lost 15lbs. I believe she said she could eat 20grams of carbs a day.
    For her it worked. For me...no go. I got such migraines from cutting off the sugars and carbs so fast. It was something I had to do gradually and now I will eat whole grains and fruit.
    Try to stay away from the processed stuff...
    Do what is healthy for you. Check your levels every now and then and let your doctor know what you are doing.
    Everybody has an opinion on what is right or wrong. But be respectfull of one another regardless.
    We are all here to support eachother though something that is hard to do.
    If it was easy, everybody would be supper thin and in shape.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Where am I contradicting myself? 95-99% of the time, I make every thing I eat. Few occasions where I eat out or use something that is bottled or packaged. I haven't eaten anything frozen in years.
    Nothing is wrong with frozen veggies, I purchase some frozen veggies from time to time. I am talking like the microwave meals and such.

Sounds like you're contradicting yourself to me.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have only read the last page or so as I'm saving the whole thread for when I have more time to read it, but I honestly can't stop laughing. I've never heard of a natural hamburger before. I'm trying to imagine little hamburger shaped animals that have simply been killed & cooked as they are, kinda like a whole chicken. Hahaha this is a funny image in my head. I know this isn't what July is saying but I can't help but find it funny. I would rather eat a frozen meal or maybe a chunk of beef before it was ruined & turned into a burger, especially from a fast food place.

This kinda reminds of a girl I knew who used to preach about being a vegetarian, but she didn't like vegetables! All she ate was fries & bread, basically just carbs. My point is, she thought she was better than everyone for being a vegetarian, when really her diet wasn't any better!!

Umm, a hamburger should not be processed. At home, I make my own hamburger. It is ground up beef, no processing included there.

I have emailed Burger King and they do not include fillers and such, it is 100% beef, so it is as close to natural as I can get in a pinch. That doesn't say I eat like this all the time, I have said countless times, when I have been in a pinch, aka woke up late and didn't fix lunch, ran out of food and got hungry, etc.

Everyone, no matter what has encountered a time where they are in a pinch and have to make do with the availability of what's around.

I am not responding to any more of you as I see you all are getting your jollies off.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Where am I contradicting myself? 95-99% of the time, I make every thing I eat. Few occasions where I eat out or use something that is bottled or packaged. I haven't eaten anything frozen in years.
    Nothing is wrong with frozen veggies, I purchase some frozen veggies from time to time. I am talking like the microwave meals and such.

Sounds like you're contradicting yourself to me.

I should have said Frozen meals. Frozen veggies are not TV dinners, lean cuisines, etc..................the stuff with all the chemicals in it.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaya

i mean really...what's the point? you do you, i'll do me.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    There is a lot of unkindness going on in this thread! It is not just from one person. I don't agree with July24lioness' approach at stating her case for the low carb diet, but I have seen quite of few of you make very nasty comments because you don't like her attitude. I don't know maybe I am wrong but I have always been taught 2 wrongs don't make a right!!! I think that we can all agree to disagree and what ever is working for one that is great. I have heard people refer to her as a troll, there has been more than one person who has made fun of her. I am not trying to come off as "high and mighty" I just actually felt bad for her. I believe she is passionate about living the low carb lifestyle. I think she may rub some of you the wrong way, that should not give some an excuse to ridicule her. Just a thought.
  • hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I make everything i eat! :D
    even if it's just taking it out of a package and whacking it in the oven ;]

tehe.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of unkindness going on in this thread! It is not just from one person. I don't agree with July24lioness' approach at stating her case for the low carb diet, but I have seen quite of few of you make very nasty comments because you don't like her attitude. I don't know maybe I am wrong but I have always been taught 2 wrongs don't make a right!!! I think that we can all agree to disagree and what ever is working for one that is great. I have heard people refer to her as a troll, there has been more than one person who has made fun of her. I am not trying to come off as "high and mighty" I just actually felt bad for her. I believe she is passionate about living the low carb lifestyle. I think she may rub some of you the wrong way, that should not give some an excuse to ridicule her. Just a thought.

I think the term troll was short for forum troll (not trying to put words in anyones mouth but...), which is different from a regular troll. You can look up Forum Troll on UrbanDictionary.com, it means someone who makes controversial or annoying statements on purpose to basically "stir up a fight". For the record I don't think she fits that category, but I thought I should clarify since many people on MFP aren't up to some of the urban net jargon out there.
  • hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    in all serious though the OP was just trying to be helpful
    posting some information she had found,
    this has all escelated because some people feel targeted, but not once did she say "do not do this" etc.

we're all trying to lose weight on this site, so i don't know why everyone has to argue o_0
    keep your opinions if they're nasty to yourself.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Thanks for educating me on that. I had a feeling "troll" had a diff. meaning verses literally a troll. But I was just trying to point out that we can discuss a subject without the meaness.
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Just a simple question and I don't care what FAD or non-FAD diet you are on, to each his own but if July is fighting everyone with teeth and nails about her "lifestyle" then why in over a year have we not lost more than 10% of the weight you have set yourself to lose? :huh: I mean if you are waving a flag about how great your lifestyle is compared to others who say eat 100 calorie packs (I do all the time thank you :tongue: ) then why is it you aren't losing more weight? Don't bash other MFPers who say eat 100 calorie packs (aka moi) if you don't want others to bash you :wink:
  • givingmyall
    Options
    I just finished reading the book "21 days to a healthy heart" and it is by far the most valuable book I read. It basically talks about carbs, fats, the history of when trans fats and other oils were introduced into our diets. It is actually mind boggling to me. I especially love the information regarding cholesterol. Our bodies produce cholesterol every day because it is needed. The cholesterol we eat in many foods has been proven to not elevate our cholesterol as well as animal fat (saturated fat). Boy I could go on about all the research I have been doing. I love how the FDA tells us that a whole grain pop tart (refined carbs and sugar) is good for us and at the same time they tell us not to each too much eggs because of the cholesterol in them.

Since I have cut out almost all refined carbs and sugar from my diet, a whole host of issues I have been having has been eliminated.....one of those problems was digestive problems and acid reflux. When I eat wholesome foods such as farm raised eggs, organic milk, organic meat (farm raised), fruits and vegetables in moderation, real butter (not margarine), exotic oils (not vegetable oil, canola oil, etc.)......I am extremely satisfied and getting plenty of carbs from those foods. When I say farm raised, I mean they are actually grazing on grasses and such in the open air.....not some factory farm where they pump their foods full of antibiotics, hormones and pesticides. I pay a little bit more but it is well worth it. If I ate out everyday, I would pay far more than I do for my groceries.

What I am doing is a lifestyle change that is totally worth it. Carbs in todays world is piss poor carbs. Even all those breads and such that have 50 ingredients on the packaging that you cannot pronounce. It is BS. We are all being poisoned into thinking they are good for us. 6-11 servings of grains that the Food Pyramind suggests is total Hogwash. Why on earth does millions and millions of people have type 2 diabetes (The kind you are not born with)? It is because we simply eat way too much and our body cannot process all the crap most of us eat. Most of the carbs today irritate most of us and cause problems.

I am not sure if anyone can see my food diary so far for today.....I made it public, but I didn't eat any bread or pasta and I got plenty of carbs for the day.

I highly recommend the book "21 days to a healthy heart." So much research done regarding how food has changed in the world since 1910 to now. How many people die from heart attacks since the government said butter is the devil and to start eating margarine instead. Incredible!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    msciccone1:
    Don't bash other MFPers who say eat 100 calorie packs (aka moi) if you don't want others to bash you :wink:

Nicely put. I think the OP never intended to bash anyone... it's just too bad that a healthy grain of salt isn't added to these threads so that people would realize that very little bashing is intended.

:flowerforyou:

July, thank you for your persistent commitment to being open and honest. I don't know if I would every have the guts or courage to make my personal eating diary open for public discussion.

Cheers.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Just a simple question and I don't care what FAD or non-FAD diet you are on, to each his own but if July is fighting everyone with teeth and nails about her "lifestyle" then why in over a year have we not lost more than 10% of the weight you have set yourself to lose? :huh: I mean if you are waving a flag about how great your lifestyle is compared to others who say eat 100 calorie packs (I do all the time thank you :tongue: ) then why is it you aren't losing more weight? Don't bash other MFPers who say eat 100 calorie packs (aka moi) if you don't want others to bash you :wink:

I wondered the same thing. I know I can't lose weight on a 2000 calorie a day diet.
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

I wondered the same thing. I know I can't lose weight on a 2000 calorie a day diet.

I know me neither which is why I don't understand why anyone would fight fight fight about how great their plan/diet/magic trick is and its supported by scientific what-you-ma-call-it when your numbers are clearly not speaking volumes. Just saying... :tongue:
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    :smile: Ya know what, you're RIGHT.:flowerforyou:

Damn it! Why didn't this work!?

Now it is spreading to other threads like a virus.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/99668-weight-loss-myths-exposed?hl=ketosis+irritability&page=2#posts-1377805

Enough is enough people. July feels the way that she feels. She is unapoligetic about it. So be it. We are getting no where with the back and forth.

She makes SOME good points. She's found something that works for her. Awesome.

We are on page 5 of a thread I can't even remember the OP for. It seems like the community is is expecting an apology for things that came across as offensive. I don't think it's going to happen so moving on would just healthier for all of us.

July, the quicker you come to understand that people are "attacking" your attitude and not your "lifestyle" the happier you will be here. Somehow I doubt that matters to you and I'm really not expecting a change. You seem to create the drama wherever you go. I hope you prove me wrong.

Here is a situation where I love getting proved wrong.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/99827-getting-it-off-my-chest-and-apology

Can we let it go now?
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I know 2 wrongs don't make it right, but I didn't start the bashing.

The original posting of the article that says that Low Carb is a Fad (which is incorrect) is what started it.

I stated my case in a respectful manner at first.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I know me neither which is why I don't understand why anyone would fight fight fight about how great their plan/diet/magic trick is and its supported by scientific what-you-ma-call-it when your numbers are clearly not speaking volumes. Just saying... :tongue:

Well, you are a fairly new member on this site and last year I did lose 60 pounds and proceeded to put it back on after my husband got laid off, money was tight, we were going to move to Seattle so I could start a naturopathic medicine program and then decided to move to the St Louis area. I had health problems and stress, which caused me to gain the majority of it back.

I am battling thyroid issues and that is why I am losing the weight slowly. The weight loss isn't key to me with following a low carb lifestyle. The way I sleep, the more energy I have, etc are more important to me than a number on the scale. The weight loss is just an added benefit.

I can tell you one thing though. Since the beginning of this year I may have only lost 14 pounds, but I have reversed the Type 2 Diabetes back to Insulin Resistance. So that is accomplishment in itself.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    And I shouldn't have to say I eat "all natural" when I am a low carber. Yes, basically it is the same in theory.............However, I have a structured plan that I follow and I should be able to talk about it as freely as the next person does on this site.

Dude, seriously.... I cannot believe I am the only person who has said anything about this. Perhaps nobody else in this discussion has eaten an all natural diet and doesn't know better, but THIS statement takes every bit of your credibility away--- period. This is not true in any way whatsoever. A low carb diet has nothing to do with a natural diet, and a natural diet has nothing to do with a low carb diet. Can they both be done simultaneously? Yes. But does doing one lead you to doing another? Not even close! What in the world are you talking about?

I was going to say the same thing.

Eating an all natural diet means exactly that- eating an all natural diet. Carbs are natural. Potatoes, carrots, beans, wheat, and so on and so forth.... all natural.

Eating a reduced-carb diet, again, means exactly that. You cut back on the carbs. Going back to the Burger King example (since it's the one most frequently used), meat and cheese ARE low carb. But far from all-natural.

You can certainly be on a diet that is both all-natural AND low-carb, but being one doesn't automatically mean that you are the other as well.
This discussion has been closed.