It's a fad diet if...

1234568»

Replies

• MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Funny.... You can lose weight and get healthy eating a regular well balanced diet that includes carbs, protein, good fats and fruits and veggies. I am living proof of that. This is a life style for me and it works.

I would be interested to see the weight loss of the low carb or low fat as compared to mine and the sustainability of sticking to that diet as well.

I actually read an article yesterday (I can't remember which thread it was posted in, sorry!) in which they tested this. They put different people on different diets (high protein, high carb, low protein, low carb, etc) and in the end, everyone lost the exact same amount of weight. This proved that, really, what matters is the calories.

Also, I forgot to add this, because some people were asking how you would lose weight on a 2000 calorie a day diet. Well, yes, it is possible.... if a)you have a killer metabolism b)you work out a lot c)you're on the heavier side. I don't say this to be mean, of course- but if you're a heavier person, you can easily lose weight eating 2000 cals per day because you're carrying around a heavier load, and burn more calories than someone smaller. I find the more weight I lose, the last calories I burn per day, and therefore, the less calories I can eat without gaining.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Eating an all natural diet means exactly that- eating an all natural diet. Carbs are natural. Potatoes, carrots, beans, wheat, and so on and so forth.... all natural.

Not all carbs are natural and Wheat and other grains are not natural. They have to be processed to be eaten and they are inflammatory to most individuals.
    Eating a reduced-carb diet, again, means exactly that. You cut back on the carbs. Going back to the Burger King example (since it's the one most frequently used), meat and cheese ARE low carb. But far from all-natural.

Where are you all getting that a burger from burger king is not all natural? It is 100% USDA inspected Ground Beef and that is it. Therefore it is a natural food. The cheese is processed, but in a pinch it will have to do. Not something I do everyday.
    You can certainly be on a diet that is both all-natural AND low-carb, but being one doesn't automatically mean that you are the other as well.

The whole point of going to the Low Carb Lifestyle is go switch to a Whole Foods, eating approach. I think that is where the media gets their mis-information from, the ones that are eating the processed foods that are "low carb chemical messes". Those people are not committed to a lifestyle change, they are just looking for a quick easy fix so in my book they are not doing a low carb plan. I know many others that feel the same way because it is really hard work to change everything that you have been doing.

My evenings many nights after supper are making salad dressing, mayonnaise, ketchup for my husband, salsa, etc.........Fresh chicken salad because the mayonnaise has to be made in very small quantities to avoid wasting food. So, it is a continual task to cook, cut up veggies and wash fruit, and prep most sauces and condiments.

Heck, I told my husband we are going to go to eating steaks and salads with grilled veggies several times a week so I can have a bit of extra free time.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    For Pete's Sake!

What diet does Pete follow?:laugh: :laugh:

Good ol' Pete. He follows the low calarb diet. It's new. It's NOT a fad. Do your research.

:tongue:
  • BamaRose0107
    BamaRose0107 Posts: 635
    Cant' we all just get along and stop trying to prove we are better than each other?
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Eating a reduced-carb diet, again, means exactly that. You cut back on the carbs. Going back to the Burger King example (since it's the one most frequently used), meat and cheese ARE low carb. But far from all-natural.
    Where are you all getting that a burger from burger king is not all natural? It is 100% USDA inspected Ground Beef and that is it. Therefore it is a natural food. The cheese is processed, but in a pinch it will have to do. Not something I do everyday.

I am a little confused about something--- unprocessed vs. all natural. Are they the same thing, exactly? I am under the impression that all natural meat means grass fed, hormone free, free range, etc. but that unprocessed meat doesn't meet those qualifications necessarily.
  • BamaRose0107
    BamaRose0107 Posts: 635
    Just thought I would try to lighten the mood with a little joke!

"Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies..."
    :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Two blondes decided to share a can of diet soda. One blonde opened the can, poured half the contents into her own glass, and the other half into her friend's glass. Before throwing the can away, she stopped to read the nutritional information on the side.

"Wow, there's only one calorie per can," she commented.

"Hmmmm," replied her friend, "I wonder which glass has the calorie!"

In no way I am trying to bash blondes, I too am a blonde and proud of it!:flowerforyou:
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Just thought I would try to lighten the mood with a little joke!

"Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies..."
    :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Two blondes decided to share a can of diet soda. One blonde opened the can, poured half the contents into her own glass, and the other half into her friend's glass. Before throwing the can away, she stopped to read the nutritional information on the side.

"Wow, there's only one calorie per can," she commented.

"Hmmmm," replied her friend, "I wonder which glass has the calorie!"

In no way I am trying to bash blondes, I too am a blonde and proud of it!:flowerforyou:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member

I am a little confused about something--- unprocessed vs. all natural. Are they the same thing, exactly? I am under the impression that all natural meat means grass fed, hormone free, free range, etc. but that unprocessed meat doesn't meet those qualifications necessarily.

No, they're not exactly the same thing. All natural is organic, hormone-free, pesticide-free, antibiotic-free.... as you would find in nature. You can have 'processed' foods made with all-natural ingredients. Too many people associate 'processed' with 'preservatives and other bad stuff added', but that isn't always necessarily the case.

The opposite is true. You can take ground beef and make a patty, which may be considered 'unprocessed' but depending on the cow the beef came from, it may not actually be 'all natural'.

The problem in this thread is that some people are using words interchangeably when they shouldn’t be. “Low Carb” =/= “All Natural”, “Unprocessed” =/= “All Natural”, and so forth.

Of course, not all carbs are good carbs…. Even my five year old knows that a piece of whole grain bread isn’t the same as a donut. The point I was making is that carbs occur naturally in many foods, so therefore, the label “All Natural” =/= “Low Carb” because you can be on an “All Natural” diet and still consume healthy, natural, good-for-you carbohydrates.

As for a burger from Burger King not being all natural? 100% all beef is certainly “all natural” at some point, (provided it comes from the right kind of cow). But then there’s the added salt. Plus all the fat and grease. Also, “All Natural” =/= “Good For You”. Unrendered lard is ‘natural’ but not something I’m going to eat by the tablespoon.

But then, the point isn’t to argue semantics. The POINT is that it’s easy to criticize others for their choices. But at the end of the day, we all take short-cuts, don’t ALWAYS eat what’s best for us, and really do the gosh-darn best we can. And we don’t need to defend our choices to anyone. Most of use, by someone else’s standards, is doing something wrong. But instead of lashing out or getting defensive, we should be supporting one another in our mutual quest to get healthier.
  • amly13
    amly13 Posts: 1
    Bottom line is simply that everyone has different nutritional needs, and it is up to each individual to be her / his own advocate by researching and learning as much as possible about any eating plan. No reason for arguing on this subject.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    I can't resist saying just one more thing.

As the original poster, I posted a list written not by me but available on the British Dietetic Association website - a website written by a team of dietitians and peer reviewed before being made available to the public.

On this thread I have been accused of 'starting' the bashing of diets. I've also been accused of belonging to a profession with an agenda. I've been accused of not doing thorough research because I choose to rely on scientific journals rather than popular books.

You know what? I'm just an ordinary health professional that goes into my job honestly wanting to help people. Believe it or not, I do my own research and assess the quality of research before I decide to tell it to patients. We do not have companies or anyone to be honest telling us what we 'have' to say.

You are free to your opinion and I am free to mine but I don't really think it's fair for you to tell me that my profession as a whole is wrong on everything we do.

So, my personality has been insulted, my post has been insulted and my profession has been insulted and in the end I'm still claimed to be the 'basher' here?

Thank you to everyone who has supported me in this thread (imagine how rubbish I would have felt otherwise!).
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    I'm locking this topic, and would like to remind everyone that personal insults or attacks are not permitted on the forums at any time. Members who repeatedly attack or insult other members will have their posting privileges revoked, or can even be permanently banned from the site.

You are free to debate almost any topic you'd like, as long as you do so respectfully. You can argue with the message, but you cannot attack the messenger.

Thanks for your cooperation. Hope you are enjoying the site.
This discussion has been closed.