healthy cereals and skim milk are not good for you.

Options

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    other mammals don't and milk in any quantity makes them as sick as it makes people with a milk alergy.

recent evolution. because evolution didn't stop the instant we obtained fire.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Personally I have no idea why humans think it is healthy to drink a cows breast milk.

lol, lol, lol

human babies drink human breast milk and most love it! so cows milk shouldn't seem so strange.

Human milk is for human babies and cows milk is for cow babies, but your not a baby anymore are you?

Or a baby cow for that matter. I agree, it's unnatural.
    Unnatural would be a cow getting into the debate online with all you amazing creatures.

Lolzzz... neanderthin, I so adore you.

*and whole milk (raw when I can get it), cheese, yogurt...and so on. I'm like the dairyqueen.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Personally I have no idea why humans think it is healthy to drink a cows breast milk.

lol, lol, lol

human babies drink human breast milk and most love it! so cows milk shouldn't seem so strange.

Human milk is for human babies and cows milk is for cow babies, but your not a baby anymore are you?

Unnatural would be a cow getting into the debate online with all you amazing creatures.

it is unnatural, as in we are the only animals that drink another animals milk. weather its natural or not I don't really think is the point.

is it good for us?

well, the main reason that people say it is, is for calcium.... but heres what Harvard had to say on that.

"it’s also not clear that dairy products are really the best source of calcium for most people."

so for most people, dairy is not the best source. interesting.

source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-and-milk/

ok so what about other nutrients.....

Almond Milk and Cow's Milk Compared

Compared to cow's milk, almond milk is the much healthier choice. Almond milk contains a wide variety of the vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function. Almond milk also contains high levels of antioxidants, so it can help prevent many types of cancer and slow the signs of aging. Almond milk is also great for those who can't drink cow's milk due to lactose intolerance, or a casein or gluten allergy; however, those with tree nut allergies should avoid almond milk because it could elicit a dangerous allergic reaction.

Whole cow's milk contains a lot more calories and fat than almond milk, making almond milk the better choice for those on a diet. Cow's milk also contains saturated fat and cholesterol; almond milk is free of both saturated fat and cholesterol, making it a healthier choice, especially for those with heart problems.

While cow's milk contains high levels of calcium, and is fortified with vitamins A and D to help you meet your daily requirements of these vitamins, almond milk contains high levels of a wide range of necessary vitamins and therefore has a higher nutritional value than cow's milk. The only thing that cow's milk has more of than almond milk is protein; cow's milk has eight grams of protein per serving while almond milk has only one gram per serving.

source: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-healthier-choice-almond-milk-vs-milk.html

so almond milk has a higher nutritional value, lower cals, is free of both saturated fat and cholesterol and only at the expense of lower protein.

so.... it would seem that it is not a very good source of calcium, its main draw card, and secondly inferior to other options due to less nutrients, and more bad fat/cholesterol.

I drink milk every day, but im not under the impression that its great for you. is it a little bit weird that we drink another animals milk, a little bit but meh, humans are weird.

im not knocking milk like "oh my god, that came from bovine titties... burn it with fire!", i drink it every day, but we should all think about what we eat, and be informed.
    Harvard is a bit bias when it comes to anything with saturated fat, cholesterol and animal products in general and if you look at their reconstituted food pyramid, there is no dairy. The only reason almond milk has any nutrition whatsoever is because it's added back in as supplements.

As an example of what I'd call a bias stance.
    While calcium and dairy can lower the risk of osteoporosis and colon cancer, high intake can increase the risk of prostate cancer and possibly ovarian cancer.

Plus, dairy products can be high in saturated fat as well as retinol (vitamin A), which at high levels can paradoxically weaken bones.

Good, non-dairy sources of calcium include collards, bok choy, fortified soy milk, baked beans, and supplements that contain both calcium and vitamin D (a better choice than taking calcium alone).

I just looked at the first choice, collards and compared with 2% milk. I cup of milk has 306 mg's of calcuim and 500IU of Vit A. 1 cup of collards has 52mg's of calcium and 2400IU of Vit A. If we match calcium intake we would need to consume 6 cups of collards which puts Vit A at 14,400IU. Were not even talking bioavailability of calcuim in plants. I guess they figure people will just take them on their word.

Seems like the National Osteoporosis Foundation does not have an issue with dairy.

http://www.nof.org/articles/10#CALCIUMSOURCES

Also, re the Vit A issue:

Per 100g: Almond milk has 19% of the RDA for calcium and full fat milk has 11% of the RDA for calcium. Also, Almond milk has 4% of Vit A per cup and full fat milk has 2% of the RDA per cup. How is Almond milk better again, when the Vit A in milk is apparently an issue?

High calories and fat? Pick skim milk then: 0% Vit A (unless fortified), 7% protein and 12% calcium. (Almond milk has 1% of the RDA for protein)

Seems like there is some contradiction going on - maybe that bias you noted.

ETA: posted to make the same point as you neanderthin, not as an argument (may look that way as I quoted you).
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

Personally I have no idea why some people think it automatically is not.

Yyyyyep. Humans eat the muscle tissue, bee vomit, fungus, mold... And really, *milk* is the one you think is weird? Get over yourself.

In fact, your food diary shows you eat chicken eggs. If drinking milk isn't natural, how can you justify eating eggs?

If you REALLY stop and think about what a chicken egg is... *shudder* I just try to block it out..
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If you are really concerned about drinking cow's milk then switch to almond. I tried it and will never go back.

Almond milk should only be consumed by baby almonds.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

lol, lol, lol

Lolzzz... neanderthin, I so adore you.

*and whole milk (raw when I can get it), cheese, yogurt...and so on. I'm like the dairyqueen.
    thanks. :flowerforyou: Your lucky, no raw milk in Canada, except cheese recently........yum, raw cheese with honest to goodness bacteria.
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you are really concerned about drinking cow's milk then switch to almond. I tried it and will never go back.

lmao!:laugh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

lol, lol, lol

it is unnatural, as in we are the only animals that drink another animals milk. weather its natural or not I don't really think is the point.

is it good for us?

well, the main reason that people say it is, is for calcium.... but heres what Harvard had to say on that.

"it’s also not clear that dairy products are really the best source of calcium for most people."

Compared to cow's milk, almond milk is the much healthier choice. Almond milk contains a wide variety of the vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function. Almond milk also contains high levels of antioxidants, so it can help prevent many types of cancer and slow the signs of aging. Almond milk is also great for those who can't drink cow's milk due to lactose intolerance, or a casein or gluten allergy; however, those with tree nut allergies should avoid almond milk because it could elicit a dangerous allergic reaction.

Whole cow's milk contains a lot more calories and fat than almond milk, making almond milk the better choice for those on a diet. Cow's milk also contains saturated fat and cholesterol; almond milk is free of both saturated fat and cholesterol, making it a healthier choice, especially for those with heart problems.

While cow's milk contains high levels of calcium, and is fortified with vitamins A and D to help you meet your daily requirements of these vitamins, almond milk contains high levels of a wide range of necessary vitamins and therefore has a higher nutritional value than cow's milk. The only thing that cow's milk has more of than almond milk is protein; cow's milk has eight grams of protein per serving while almond milk has only one gram per serving.

source: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-healthier-choice-almond-milk-vs-milk.html

so almond milk has a higher nutritional value, lower cals, is free of both saturated fat and cholesterol and only at the expense of lower protein.

so.... it would seem that it is not a very good source of calcium, its main draw card, and secondly inferior to other options due to less nutrients, and more bad fat/cholesterol.

I drink milk every day, but im not under the impression that its great for you. is it a little bit weird that we drink another animals milk, a little bit but meh, humans are weird.

im not knocking milk like "oh my god, that came from bovine titties... burn it with fire!", i drink it every day, but we should all think about what we eat, and be informed.
    Harvard is a bit bias when it comes to anything with saturated fat, cholesterol and animal products in general and if you look at their reconstituted food pyramid, there is no dairy. The only reason almond milk has any nutrition whatsoever is because it's added back in as supplements.

While calcium and dairy can lower the risk of osteoporosis and colon cancer, high intake can increase the risk of prostate cancer and possibly ovarian cancer.

Plus, dairy products can be high in saturated fat as well as retinol (vitamin A), which at high levels can paradoxically weaken bones.

Good, non-dairy sources of calcium include collards, bok choy, fortified soy milk, baked beans, and supplements that contain both calcium and vitamin D (a better choice than taking calcium alone).

I just looked at the first choice, collards and compared with 2% milk. I cup of milk has 306 mg's of calcuim and 500IU of Vit A. 1 cup of collards has 52mg's of calcium and 2400IU of Vit A. If we match calcium intake we would need to consume 6 cups of collards which puts Vit A at 14,400IU. Were not even talking bioavailability of calcuim in plants. I guess they figure people will just take them on their word.

Seems like the National Osteoporosis Foundation does not have an issue with dairy.

Per 100g: Almond milk has 19% of the RDA for calcium and full fat milk has 11% of the RDA for calcium. Also, Almond milk has 4% of Vit A per cup and full fat milk has 2% of the RDA per cup. How is Almond milk better again, when the Vit A in milk is apparently an issue?

High calories and fat? Pick skim milk then: 0% Vit A (unless fortified), 7% protein and 12% calcium. (Almond milk has 1% of the RDA for protein)

ETA: posted to make the same point as you neanderthin, not as an argument (may look that way as I quoted you).
    Yup, gotcha. Thank-you for the back up....sometimes institutions like Harvard have a mandate that is so ingrained that contradictions and bias is a given and an unforeseen liability.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

lol, lol, lol

is it good for us?

and that counts 3 posts out of 110, that are actually debating the merits of one of the products in question. thanks for the info both of you :)

i suppose this was a farce to begin with.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

lmao!:laugh:

ditto - one of 2 responses in this thread that truly made me laugh out loud.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Healthy cereals are not good for ME, but that does not mean they are not good for YOU! I cannot tolerate wheat at all as it causes a whole host of problems for me. I CAN tolerate other grains, but not in huge amounts so I avoid eating breakfast cereals completely. So while a nice bowl of my FAVORITE cereal, grapenuts, seems sooo healthy and delicious, it's a TERRIBLE choice for ME... but if other people don't suffer any ill effects, and find it satisfying, then go for it.. I won't say I'm not jealous.. a bowl of grape nuts and by a "bowl" I'm not talking about the 1/2 cup serving size they recommend on the box....with a tablespoon of honey drizzled on it and whole milk was one of my FAVORITE things to have for dinner I REALLY miss it:sad:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    This thread made me lol, but I'll give you a serious answer.

It depends how serious about it you want to be. Many cereals that claim to be healthy are actually loaded with sugar. However that's not why I don't eat them; I don't eat them because I think many are fairly high in calories for the portion size and because they simply don't fill me up for long.

However, that doesn't mean they are unhealthy. Nothing is unhealthy if you fit it into your macros. It's the age old 'everything in moderation' rule again.

Some cereals are better than others. Weetabix, porridge and plain shredded wheat to name a few.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Personally I have no idea why some people think it automatically is not.

Yyyyyep. Humans eat the muscle tissue, bee vomit, fungus, mold... And really, *milk* is the one you think is weird? Get over yourself.

In fact, your food diary shows you eat chicken eggs. If drinking milk isn't natural, how can you justify eating eggs?

If you REALLY stop and think about what a chicken egg is... *shudder* I just try to block it out..

I'm not exactly sure what you think a chicken egg really is that will make you shudder...
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Love your visual comment. Totally agree.
  • BruffStuff
    BruffStuff Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    SNA0618C-380_960619a.jpg

porridge or oats for breakfast with some fruit and whatever milk.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

THREAD ENDS.

Porridge oats every day! With a tablespoon of golden syrup, yummy, fills me up all morning and seems to have worked so far! 40lb lighter and I've had porridge every day since Jan!
  • nikilis
    Options
    SNA0618C-380_960619a.jpg

porridge or oats for breakfast with some fruit and whatever milk.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

THREAD ENDS.

Porridge oats every day! With a tablespoon of golden syrup, yummy, fills me up all morning and seems to have worked so far! 40lb lighter and I've had porridge every day since Jan!

I know right! it renders all other breakfasts at obsolete. I have it every day with a few berries and sweetener.

soon ill be able to hold a varnished coconut next to my ear whilst hailing a cab wearing only a singlet with my tartan shirt pulled all the way down.

one day ladies. one day.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options

or even worse - mouldy cows breast milk - (blue cheese)
    or a chickens fetus (eggs)
    or a woolly creatures children (lamb)
    or genetically enhanced/pesticide ridden/drought causing/bee killing crops (pretty much everything else we eat!!)

Doh!!! slowly starving to death now cos we can't eat anything!! .........:sad:

Probably have really cold toes too due to no shoes, cos if its gross to drink their milk, how much more gross is it to wear their skin!!?? :wink:
  • nikilis
    Options

or genetically enhanced/pesticide ridden/drought causing/bee killing crops (pretty much everything else we eat!!)

Probably have really cold toes too due to no shoes, cos if its gross to drink their milk, how much more gross is it to wear their skin!!?? :wink:

oh. you win with that one. I enjoyed that very much.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

the eggs aren't fertilised, so it's more like a chicken's period.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Life without cheese would not be worth living... sorry.

QFT