cardio indoors - why?

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
I see all these posts about people doing various at home cardio DVDs (Jillian, insanity, whatever), or spending all this time on machines at the gym. I work at a gym and watch people line up for the cardio equipment on days when if FREAKING BEAUTIFUL outside.

Why?

If you're one of those people, why would you rather be inside in front of a TV or on an eliptical rather than being outside, getting some sun and fresh air? Why would you rather be on a treadmill than out running? Why would you rather be on an eliptical or a stepper rather than hiking? Why would you rather be on an exercise bike rather than an actual bike?

I'm not criticizing, just something I have never understood. I live in upstate NY where we have a pretty cold/snowy winter (yes, not as cold and snowy as some of you, but...) and I'd rather be outside running or biking in February than be inside on a treadmill or my trainer.

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have a scary neighbourhood and my car died.... Only choice till we move, then I'll be running around beautiful lakes in canberra!
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it may be that they just have never really thought about it? Or it is hot, or it could be that some feel safer working out inside. (I personally have only stepped foot in the gym this summer to swim.... other than that, it has been bike/run outside:smile: )
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    This isn't me personally, but I have alot of friends who get self conscious if they go on a jog, they feel like people who see them will make fun of them. I feel the same way though, if it's nice out why not get some fresh air and sun?
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    They like doing it differently than you. Gasp?
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I like indoor cardio because I can burn in 5 minutes what takes some people an hour to do. Quick and easy...of course Im not running on the treadmill watching tv, but it still counts as indoors lol
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Some of us that are larger choose the gym because it gives us a sense of security. We know everyone else is there for the same reason as us and no one, at least I hope, is going to be making fun or pointing, ect. It's just a sense of security. I usally look like Im watching the tv when Im there but most times its just me staring but not really watching.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who are self concious and want to lose a bit of weight before they work out outside
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    One word: Allergies. Some days are better than others for me outside, but right now ragweed is about to go haywire in my area, so it's better on my lungs to stay inside. Plus the humidity does a number on me too, if it's too high.

I do run outside about once a week though, just for something different.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The roads aren't safe to ride a bike on...... the weather is rubbish most of the time (UK)..... bad knee means I can't run..... the gym has a sauna and a pool...each to their own!
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It could also be that some people don't have the knowledge or experience to go it 'alone'. The DVD or instructor gives them the structure and/or confidence to go through an entire routine.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I see all these posts about people doing various at home cardio DVDs (Jillian, insanity, whatever), or spending all this time on machines at the gym. I work at a gym and watch people line up for the cardio equipment on days when if FREAKING BEAUTIFUL outside.

Why?

If you're one of those people, why would you rather be inside in front of a TV or on an eliptical rather than being outside, getting some sun and fresh air? Why would you rather be on a treadmill than out running? Why would you rather be on an eliptical or a stepper rather than hiking? Why would you rather be on an exercise bike rather than an actual bike?

I'm not criticizing, just something I have never understood. I live in upstate NY where we have a pretty cold/snowy winter (yes, not as cold and snowy as some of you, but...) and I'd rather be outside running or biking in February than be inside on a treadmill or my trainer.

At the moment it is because the humidity is so thick it feels like you are drinking the air not breathing it. Not to mention the issue of a safe place outside to do this. I'm hoping that fall and spring bring some good, get outside weather.
  • Hayleighs_mom
    Options
    I dont know about everyone else, but I personally work from home. I babysit multiple children from 5am-7pm. I usually run on a treadmil and/or do my jillian dvds while the kids are napping. Also, I'm extremely self conscious.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    got to get fit inside so I can be fit outside .. down to a confidence thing
  • betsygw
    betsygw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well....I am a stay at home mom with 4 kids, and I have to go to the gym, so I can use the child watch (childcare). If I don't go to the gym, I don't get to exercise. I need someone to watch my kids (a bike ride with 4 kids all 6 and under does not do it, LOL!!!)! I do run at night though a few nights a week after my hubby finally comes home and my kids go to bed. But my strength training and elliptical etc...has to be done in the gym....
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a pig and the last thing I want to do is be out in my neighborhood looking like I pissed myself. Also I don't live in the greatest of areas and there tend to be a lot of loose dogs running around, I don't want to get attacked just trying to get some fitness in my life. Someday I hope to not be quite so big and maybe the sweating won't be so bad, or maybe I just need to find better gear to wear. Those are just my reasons.
  • jwcomputergirl
    jwcomputergirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Cuz it's around 98 degrees these days and humidity is sky high!
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I have 3 small kids who love exercising with me. It's Alabama = blistering heat even in "fall". I would KILL for a winter. I would be outside all of the time.
  • PinkHippieGirl
    PinkHippieGirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have child care at the gym! If I'm working out at home it's because my kids are asleep and I'm the only adult home. I much prefer running outside but that doesn't always get to happen right now.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I dont know about everyone else, but I personally work from home. I babysit multiple children from 5am-7pm. I usually run on a treadmil and/or do my jillian dvds while the kids are napping. Also, I'm extremely self conscious.

LMAO How do the Kids nap? when my wife does 30DS with all the jumping and running it sounds like a herd of elephants running through :bigsmile:
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    becuase my ankle cannot take the impact. The elliptical enable me to build ou cardio endurance without messing up my joints!

I do walk outside regulalry though, but for anything higher than that I'm all about low-impact