cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I do it usually as my warm up on lifting days. I'm not one to hit the gym just for cardio though unless outside sucks. I prefer to swim or walk/jog under the sun :)
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    5. Cause the machines offer a level of resistance that the great outdoors doesn't.
    4. I haven't figured out how to duplicate the elliptical machine in nature.
    3. The great outdoors doesn't have strength training-the trees in my neighborhood aren't strong enough for pull ups.
    2. The heat index can literally kill you where I live.

And the number one reason to not exercise outside......

I've already survived attempted murder once from being in the wrong place at the wrong time around here. Not ready to do it again. Thanks.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Self-concious
    Humidity
    I do weights
    I like my videos - I feel like the people in the video are there with me. Hokey but it works for me.
    I sweat more than the average person. To add workout sweat plus outdoor sweat...I don't like it. So I make my room as cool as possible and get my sweat on.
  • moonowl23
    moonowl23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't want people to see me working out and point and laugh at me.
    I go to the gym at 6am, where there is hardly anyone in at that time, and if there are, they are the regular people I know (about 5 of us) to do weights and cardio.
    Otherwise, I do go out for a walk with my partner or ride my bike to work when it is nice (live in Frankfurt am Main, Germany), but besides that, I also have allergies and asthma... also weak knee from operation so need to build on cardio slowly...
  • JennyDuffy
    JennyDuffy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Had my bike stolen! :noway:

Plus the cardio DVDs you refer to are more than just cardio, there's strength training mixed in with it. My DVD cost me £5 and the gym costs anywhere from £40 - £80 a month! Plus when you are short on time and want to get fit and the DVD is only 20 minutes but high intensity it's perfect if thats what you need for a hectic lifestyle.

However saying that I have started running outside as I luckily have a quiet park at the back of where I live, but in the winter that quiet park can turn into dark, scary park!
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run on a treadmill I don't like running on the streets here. First, I often need the highest incline possible on the machine (15, I believe) and there are no hills where I live really. Also, I don't do so well in the heat and it's very humid here, so I'd rather be inside. And not worrying about suncreen & sunburn.

I always weight lift before cardio anyways, so I have to get in the gym one way or another.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have three young (under 5) children and I workout during nap time.

Have you ever tried to take a run with one child in the jogging stroller and two on their bikes with training wheels in a hilly neighborhood? You spend more time helping the kids get up the hills than you do actually running.
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love walking outside, and find treadmills really boring. But no one is going to see me run. No chance. Plus, I'm addicted to the variable cross trainer. If I could afford one at home, and if my dodgy leg would hold up, I'd be on it every second. :)
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I can't see very well so the treadmill has the advantage of not having trees or roads in the way....
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The humidity and heat in Florida exist nearly year round, with the exception of maybe one month. It's stifling. And this is going to sound absurdly nerdy but I'm highly allergic to mosquitoes and they're everywhere. All year. I wish it was nicer here.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Where I live, it's very hilly and hard for me to run. The traffic on the main road makes it unsafe for my boys to walk or ride bikes with me. My husband travels frequently for work. These are not excuses, but rather the reasons why I have put together a "home gym" so I can work out after the kids are in bed. Yep, that's me... popping in a workout DVD or using my Treadclimber or stationary bike at 10PM!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    In before dude gets murdered for calling his wife an elephant!

lol she hasn't read it...... yet :smile:

I do 30ds. I weigh 122. Usually I move around so quietly that I often have to purposely make a noise so I don't startle people. When I do the 30ds, it sounds like a stampede and my puppy barks as though the house is being invaded :)
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Because outdoors in the Arabian desert it's more than 50 degrees centigrade / 122 degrees Fahrenheit, and on top of that there are a lot of sandstorms.

That's why.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The only time I am able to work out is at 5 am, and I live in the South. Translated: dark at that time, hot, humid, snakes. 'Nough said!
    Same here. Southern Louisiana heat and humidity is a beast, plus it is not kind to my asthma. I do more outside during in the winter.
  • Nerruse
    Nerruse Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I live in an area with very few sidewalks and some very dangerous roads. The type where people actively try to hit you. I'd rather not play Frogger from the frog's perspective. That and on days like today, it's 8:17 and I already turned the AC on because the humidity's at like 1000% and it's supposed to be over 90 degrees.

If I lived closer to them, I'd happily go hike around the White Mountains every day instead. Tons of trails, mountains ranging from beginner level to Mt. Washington itself. But no, I live over an hour away from there. /sigh. If I go it's a day trip on my day off. There aren't many trails around here anymore; they've all been developed.
  • ahlani
    ahlani Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of reasons for doing cardio indoors is based in good old-fashioned common sense, especially from the other ladies. Go Ladies!

I think that just the fact we are getting our cardio in is so much more important than where we do it :)
  • meangreen11
    meangreen11 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Because it was 107 at 9:30 pm last night in North Texas.
  • mandilwebb
    mandilwebb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1. I work during the day so exercise must be a night time routine. 2. I have a 3 year old who is in bed asleep while I exercise- I cannot leave the house b/c the hubs works 3rd shift. 3. It's miserable in the entire state of GA all summer long so even if I could go outside, I wouldn't this time of year. Unless I want a heat stroke ; )
  • clur85
    clur85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think all of the above is generally saying it's personal preference. For whatever reason, I have found that I can be really commited to my DVD's, and they're fun to do. So as long as I have fun and forget that i'm actually exercising, it's all good. Same as many others on here the thought of running, let alone outside, fills me with dread from a self conscious aspect.
  • momof2TONI
    momof2TONI Posts: 116
    Options
    Cause the temps here in Dallas have been running around 107 degrees, and I don't live in the safest neighborhood either.