Got really mad at the supermarket today

Options

Replies

• FitnessOver50
    Options
    I am 52 and am very aware of what I eat. I only eat foods that have not been processed and stripped of their fiber and nutrients. I do it because I want to stay health for many years to come. I see far too many people over 50 years of age that are in terrible shape.

Whenever I go to the grocery store with my wife I am shocked at what people put into their shopping carts. It is very clear to me that the majority of people in North America only buy their food based on taste and convenience. Nutritional value is of no concern. Ironically, these people usually are overweight and have health problems.

Most of the food that people are buying and eating only poisons them over the years. Their systems become toxic. No wonder we have such a problem with health care and obesity.

A few years ago, I read two books that made an awful lot of sense to me. As a result of reading them, I totally changed my diet. I suggest people read "Fit for Life" and "You On A Diet". They are easy reads and provide a great deal of helpful information.

Peter
    www.fitnessover50.org
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Companies even spend millions on children- to learn how to make them be loyal to their brands for life (Kraft..)...

There was a debate a few months ago on a forum I'm on- that's all parents with young children- specifically who watch Nick Jr. And many of the parents were complaining about a new show because they didn't see the "education" behind it. What they all failed to realize is that almost all of the shows on that channel weren't created to EDUCATE their children- they were created to push TOYS.. (Dora The Explorer- The Backyardigans just to name a few).

This isn't targeted at anyone- just hoping maybe to open some eyes and get you thinking/ researching/ educating yourselves. The problems go much larger than just "nutrition education". The best gift ANY parent can give to their children- is to teach them to THINK FOR THEMSELVES and to STAND UP FOR WHAT THEY BELIEVE IS RIGHT!

=) Hope everyone is having a blessed day!

This is the reason my daughter is only allowed to watch certain channels on tv (PBS is one...hardly any commercials) and she goes to the store with me to pick out healthy foods. She would much rather go to the produce section than the chip and soda aisle. She may only be 6 but she will bring jicama, daikon radish, spinich salads, and other 'strage' foods to school in her lunch box. Now that's not saying that she doesn't eat junk every once in a while. She takes a lunchable (yes, I don't like them) to school about once a month. Has pizza every monday (her one school based lunch a week)...but for the most part she eats healthy. She doesn't like soda...drinks water or milk with everything. I'm proud that she makes the choices she does at the age she is. :smile:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

A few years ago, I read two books that made an awful lot of sense to me. As a result of reading them, I totally changed my diet. I suggest people read "Fit for Life" and "You On A Diet". They are easy reads and provide a great deal of helpful information.

You on a Diet is a great book! I think all of those You books are great! I think everyone should read them!
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    As a mom I can't say what she's feeding her kid was forgivable but I'm also not going to pretend that I don't understand it. I think it's amazing that some people feed themselves as well as their kids such amazing foods and go without the processed crap....however I am not one of them:frown: . It is a goal of mine to eat healthier and feed my kids healthier in 2010 (and forever) but I can't say that we still won't have a Happy meal once & awhile and that Whole wheat Spaghetti Ohs aren't in my shopping cart once and awhile. As with all parenting everyone has their own style and in spite of us they all grow up. Yes some have more issues to overcome as adults than others but I try not to pretend that my kids won't have anything to overcome. No one could have told us when we wer enot on weightloss or healthy lifestyle that we should do this or that....Maybe this mom is in that place and no matter what is said or done NOTHING will make her change until she's ready. Is it sad? yes. Is that child unloved? We have no idea. My point....not sure I have one:laugh: When my friend told me about this thread I was ready to jump on board and yell "Bad Mom" but after reading the thread I actually feel sorry her. I wish I was a perfect eater and could judge other's mistakes but sadly I cannot not. I work at it everyday but I shopped today and their was processed stuff in my cart.:embarassed:

Kinda like don't throw stones when you live in a house of glass, yeah me too :)
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

To that end I'm going to list a few sites that I've found. Lets make sure everyone we can think of knows about these and any other resources you may know of!

http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/center/nutrition_center.html

http://www.mypyramid.gov/kids/index.html

http://www.nutritionexplorations.org/

http://www.nutrition.gov/

these are just a few that I found. Feel free to post more, and forward these links to anyone you think might benefit.

Thanks for these!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    OK, I admit it, when I'm bored waiting in line I do look at what other people are buying. I'm amazed at the amount of junk food and pre-packaged food people will spend money on.

I felt so bad for the little girl who has NO idea the world of hurt she is in for. I wanted to grab her and take her home and say "don't worry hon, I'll fix you right up."

My wife grew up overweight, in weight watchers by 12, still has issues with her weight, still has days where she gets visibly angry with me if she's having a bad day and I mention food and/or exercise, it really ends up dominating their life for a long time. It's almost like torture.

No.. IT IS TORTURE!!!!

And the SAD thing is ALOT of moms focus on themselves loosing weight, so they buy healthy things for themselves and dont think to find healthy things for their kids because they ASSUME they will be fine.

I think moms need to think more about their children and teach them how to cook right.

Women USUALLY ALWAYS have self worth issues already.. weight issues is a forever thing!!!!

I love this, I wish more mom's would think about their kids. At my house you eat what I give you or you don't eat end of story. I'm sick of parents saying that their kids don't like this or that, if they are hungry enough they will eventually eat the good stuff!
    Agreed but parents want to be their kids friends so they don't.....can any of us imagine our parents cooking three meals for three different people? My parents would have died first. My rule is: you must try it and then if you HONESTLY don't like it you have to sit quietly while the rest of the family eats and then you may a cold sandwich after everyone is finished...I think I've only made sandwiches like twice.
  • fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I have two young boys (5 and 7) who are very active in sports and sometimes I feel like a bad mom because they aren't allowed to eat like their friends! Snacks are fruit, 2% cheese, yogurt, and low fat granola bars. The only chips in the house are baked and I spend the extra money on things like 100 calorie packs of cookies for their lunches to help with portion and calorie control. They even eat multi-grain sandwhich thins instead of normal kid bread for sandwiches! And they do get to have "yummy" food on occasion for holidays and such, but the point is that they can't make the choices about which foods they should be eating. That's MY job as their mother. I am here to teach them and lead them down the path of healthy eating and portion control. So to fill a cart full of crap food when you are raising a child is unfair to that child. So fine, celebrate New Year's with some yummy snacks like real chocolate chip cookies and doritos, but throw some fruit in the mix!

Melissa-

My boys are 5 and 6, and I feed them like you do. The good thing is, they are very proud of their good foods in their lunches and for snacks. I even had my 6 year old asking me for a snack the other day, and when I gave him some options, he asked which of them would be the best for his body. I thought that was awesome!!! They do get to eat treats from time to time, and we even allow McDonalds sometimes, but that's a treat. They know it's not something we do a lot. I actually walked into daycare the other day (their provider didn't hear me come in) and overheard her offering a snack to my kids. She offered something not so healthy (she's not a very healthy eater, but always offers fruits/veggies/healthy foods to my kids per my request) and then fruit as another option. Both of my kids picked the fruit. I was grinning from ear to ear!!!

As far as the lady in the supermarket...whether the food is for her or for a party, both situations those choices are bad. I know that I never bring junk like that to anyone's house. I eat healthy at home, I bring healthy foods other places too. If other kids/adults don't like it, tough! There is nothing wrong with supplying healthy foods, especially if I will be there or my family! I happen to have family on my husbands side that eats horribly, and I always supply something healthy. I usually end up eating mainly my food, because the rest is deep fried, soaked in grease and full of mayo, butter, etc. But, after a year of doing this, they are slowly coming around. I'm happy to be making progress!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    How about when a child will eat nothing but ......let's say mac and cheese...............or a hot dog..........is it better to allow them to go hungry than to allow them the weenie and mac? I know a bit off subject

Offer variety! Have them eat one new food a day (1-2 bites) and then they can have the mac and cheese or hot dog. It's better than nothing. Then a week or so later re-intoduce the new foods. It takes about 20 times of tasteing a new food to like it.
    My mother attemped to get me to eat meat-I plain refused. Even as a baby I spit it all back out. My mom subbed carnation instant breakfast and beans/lentels for my protein (hince I've been a vegetarian my entire life).
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I work in a supermarket... trust me when I say I see this on a daily basis. What gets me really mad is when they are paying for that junk with food stamps... the government needs to regulate what can be purchased with our tax dollars... no candy, soda, chips, etc... just the basics. I am not saying the lady you saw today was paying with food stamps or that all people on food stamps purchase junk food, I was just venting:)

I agree with you on the foodstamp issue, but its not so cut and dry.

I'm a single-mom, been on and off food stamps for at least 5 of the past 10 years. I did the research to find out where to shop to get the best quality for the best deals. I'll go to Trader Joes, Kroger and Meijer if I need too. If a certain store didn't take food stamps, then I'd use cash. For many months I only got $10. Once I got $367. They can cut it off at anytime, they can decrease it at anytime.

I watch a friend of mine only shop at a local generic food store (or the dreaded Wal-Mart) because it is the cheapest, closest place to go that accepts food stamps. She buys all the cheapest stuff, nothing is fresh. If she spends it all and they run out of food for the month they do nothing.

Proper nutrional education is not offered to the poor. I have seen classes offered, but they are not made known to the public. And those classes are not truly about proper nutrition. I've taken them, they involve boxed foods, canned veggies, etc. If you were to go to a local food bank for food, thats exactly what you would get. Most people who are poor enough to need food stamps do not have a reliable internet/cable access to learn the way we have. They also are most likely more concerend with keeping the heat and lights on than if the Kraft Mac n' Cheese is a poor choice.

While I was determined enough to seek out a proper nutritional education, my friend isn't. She needs to focus on keeping her heat on this winter. With a disabled husband and a 9 y/o boy, her $157 in food stamps per month barely get them through the first half of the month. Her minimum wage job can barely pay the rent and utilities. If she were restricted on the foods she could buy, it would hurt that family more than the Speggetios ever could.

I know that healthy food can be bought on a budget, I do it every month. But I have had hard times when feeding my daughter Speggetios was the best I could do. Thankfully, I am better off now. My friend, on the other hand, shes in the midst of a crisis. I can look back and see how I could have done things differently, but in the eye of the storm, theres no time to stop and redo stuff. It frustrates me that I have the information and I could help her, but shes not in a position to believe that this is the area that needs the help. She hasn't yet processed that food is the area that she can't afford to slack on, the lights and heat, well, payment arrangements and governtment programs can help.

I think that in order to get food stamps, you should have to take a nutrition and budgeting class. Most people on food stamps have kids on medicaid and medicaid pays for you to see a dietician. That is a benefit that no child should miss out on. It would save so much money in the long run, for both the family and the tax payers.

JMO
    Holly
    Food stamps are great for those who need it. But I have a few things to say about it, my sis in law was on them when she was working @ a school and making only $6.00/hr, when she finally got a good job she went in and told them that she no longer needed them. Well the case worker did some figuring and found that she still qualified, but my sil said that she didn't want them, she could make it just fine w/o, the case worker was kind of rude and insisted that she kept them, she told her DO NOT send me anything, give it to someone that needs/wants them! I wonder how many ppl keep them just because they can. Another thing with them was how they used to be given, those coupon things. When I was in hs I worked @ a grocery store as a check out, this woman, would give each of her grandkids a $1 coupon to buy a pack of gum, well back then we had to give the change, and back then juicy fruit cost only $.25, so she got $.75 back, she'd take the quarters from the kids and buy a pack of smokes! I couldn't believe it! She'd do this often too! And the last thing, they should make a list of things you can buy with food stamps, this like detergent, tp, toothpaste, juice, fruits, etc.... None of this bags of cookies/chips and soda. Okay end of vent :)
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough, I grew up in a house where junk food was banned. I was fed nothing but healthy food and rarely saw a bag of chips, chocolate or coke. Whenever I'd be given chocolate easter bunnies by relatives or halloween candy it was immediately thrown away because "It's not good got you!". I never had a real kids birthday cake, it was always home baked and "healthy". I never saw a restaurant, a french fry, or even a burger until I was well into my teens. My parents deprived me of the foods every kid wanted and when I had my own money and my own freedom I went on a junk food craze. I remember buying a package of bacon because I'd never had any in my life, cooking the whole package and eating it all. I bought all the things I was forced to stay away from because I was never allowed to experience it, not even in moderation. I had relatives who would sneek me a chocolate bar when they came over and would tell me to hide it from my mother.

The opposite can have a horrendous effect on a child. I felt left out at school and enbarrassed at the food I was forced to bring for lunch. I know that my parents had good intentions, but sometimes good things can be taken to the extreme.
  • JillyBean00
    Options
    Microwave!
    yeah, i agree w/ your assessment, and also grew up not eating healthy. when i think about my after school snack even now, at 40 yrs old, i want to barf- wonder bread, slathered with butter, sprinkled with sugar. OMG. no wonder i was a chub. :)

i have 2 sons, 3 and 5. My number ONE priority with them (well, top 5) is teaching them to eat healthy, they know soda is junk food, they've even commented on what other people are buying in the grocery store!!! They literally salivated over a big edible arrangement of fruit we just brought to our family Christmas party!

I have forgiven my mother, she was divorced, struggling to take care of us. It also breaks my heart to see little kids who are overweight, in so many ways, it just is damaging, call it abuse, whatever the word, it's wrong. And knowing what we all know now about eating healthy, there is NO excuse in my mind for feeding your family crap- plain and simple.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Because of this thread I have resolved to have veggies in each of my food logs when I open them up! This means I eat them more frequently than the other foods listed.

Sounds silly........but this is what MFP is all about to me.

Education, and then making changes.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    We went grocery shopping on Saturday and I did not have anything really bad in my cart. When we were leavingthe grocery store, my personal trainer was going in. He stopped, looked through the bags and pointed out processed foods that were not good for us. They were some presidents choice baked cereal bars. My trainer eats 100% clean so I knew we were busted when he started looking trhough the cart:laugh:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Jeannie made me think of something by her words.

The focus of this site is helping people understand and strive for better health. Nutrition is a large part of that process. So while we all have our opinions, lets make sure that everything we talk about has a constructive purpose. I will admit to forgetting that from time to time.

If we take the emotion out of it, there are some very good points made on this site and in this thread. Maybe we all can't agree on everything, but I think we can all probably agree that nutrition (and focusing on the topic at hand) and childhood nutrtion, is an extremely important and often overlooked subject in America today. Getting the word out is our responsibility as informed adults.

To that end I'm going to list a few sites that I've found. Lets make sure everyone we can think of knows about these and any other resources you may know of!

http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/center/nutrition_center.html

http://www.mypyramid.gov/kids/index.html

http://www.nutritionexplorations.org/

http://www.nutrition.gov/

these are just a few that I found. Feel free to post more, and forward these links to anyone you think might benefit.

I think this is a very respectful and mature way to think about this topic, I hope that all of us following it can do what this comment suggests.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options

And also- just because someone is obese DOES NOT MEAN all skinny parents with skinny kids are living healthy lives.

Funny you should say this. at this time in my life I have had only 1 person I know die of a heart attack, and 1 that had a heart attack. BOTH of them were under weight.

I love MFP...........and feel joyous at meeting ppl just like yourself on here........so much so I shared it with a stranger on line........who reported me for SPAMMING her........:laugh: that was rich!

I have to agree with this point as well....

Hubby weighs less than I do, or is around the same weight. He's taller than I am, in great shape. And he could live on pizza, hot wings, gravy, etc. He's very physically active- but he just doesn't get that you can be skinny on the outside but marbled with fat on the inside. He also smokes (though he's trying to quit) and drinks (not all the time, but FAR more than I do).

On the outside you'd say that he's probably way healthier than I am- but I eat much better foods, and I don't smoke or drink. I've got some extra fat to work off, but for the most part I'm WAY ahead of him in the nutrition game. Last night he was actually fighting with me because I was making our four and a half year old eat his veggies, couscous and baked chicken breast. He thought I was mean, and wanted to make him some spagetti-o's, instead. His logic is, "Joey's fine. Does he look fat to you?" But our son just has his genes. Just because he's a healthy weight doesn't mean he can't be malnourished. And, I'm sorry, I'm going to make my kid eat properly. He may hate me for it now, but at least he won't be that overweight adult saying, "I didn't know any better! My parents let me eat whatever I wanted!"
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    We went grocery shopping on Saturday and I did not have anything really bad in my cart. When we were leavingthe grocery store, my personal trainer was going in. He stopped, looked through the bags and pointed out processed foods that were not good for us. They were some presidents choice baked cereal bars. My trainer eats 100% clean so I knew we were busted when he started looking trhough the cart:laugh:

My overkill flag just went off.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this point as well....

Hubby weighs less than I do, or is around the same weight. He's taller than I am, in great shape. And he could live on pizza, hot wings, gravy, etc. He's very physically active- but he just doesn't get that you can be skinny on the outside but marbled with fat on the inside. He also smokes (though he's trying to quit) and drinks (not all the time, but FAR more than I do).

On the outside you'd say that he's probably way healthier than I am- but I eat much better foods, and I don't smoke or drink. I've got some extra fat to work off, but for the most part I'm WAY ahead of him in the nutrition game. Last night he was actually fighting with me because I was making our four and a half year old eat his veggies, couscous and baked chicken breast. He thought I was mean, and wanted to make him some spagetti-o's, instead. His logic is, "Joey's fine. Does he look fat to you?" But our son just has his genes. Just because he's a healthy weight doesn't mean he can't be malnourished. And, I'm sorry, I'm going to make my kid eat properly. He may hate me for it now, but at least he won't be that overweight adult saying, "I didn't know any better! My parents let me eat whatever I wanted!"

Interestingly enough, my brother is 6'3" and 190 lbs (a good weight for his height). He's very lean, and althetic. He is a master carpenter who builds kitchens and bathrooms, and other interior stuff, so as you can imagine, he's quite active during the day. But he eats absolute crap. Italian subs, steak bombs, linguini with clam sauce (the canned kind, mega high in sodium) ... things like that. And of course, he drinks at least once a week relatively heavily. Oh, and he smokes about a pack a day.

So he always scoffed at my thoughts on nutrition, right up until about 3 weeks ago when the doctor told him his cholesterol levels were through the roof, and soon enough, he'd be in here on a gurney suffering from a myocardial infarction (heart attack).
    I think what got my brother thinking wasn't that the doctor was saying he PROBABLY would see him. He basically said "Oh, make no mistake, you WILL come in here very soon if you don't make some changes, I can guarantee it!"
    I hope that little scare helps, I doubt it will make a permanent change for him (my brother is VERY stubborn). But I can hope.

I would have your man get his blood work done, that may help him to see. Plenty of "skinny fat" men out there that have no idea what they are doing to their organs.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Food stamps are great for those who need it. But I have a few things to say about it, my sis in law was on them when she was working @ a school and making only $6.00/hr, when she finally got a good job she went in and told them that she no longer needed them. Well the case worker did some figuring and found that she still qualified, but my sil said that she didn't want them, she could make it just fine w/o, the case worker was kind of rude and insisted that she kept them, she told her DO NOT send me anything, give it to someone that needs/wants them! I wonder how many ppl keep them just because they can. Another thing with them was how they used to be given, those coupon things. When I was in hs I worked @ a grocery store as a check out, this woman, would give each of her grandkids a $1 coupon to buy a pack of gum, well back then we had to give the change, and back then juicy fruit cost only $.25, so she got $.75 back, she'd take the quarters from the kids and buy a pack of smokes! I couldn't believe it! She'd do this often too! And the last thing, they should make a list of things you can buy with food stamps, this like detergent, tp, toothpaste, juice, fruits, etc.... None of this bags of cookies/chips and soda. Okay end of vent :)

The system is definately broken. Thats for sure. I know because I went through it. Not only do they give food benefits to people who don't need it, but they will cut off a family who does. That friend I was speaking about....she went two and a half months with nothing. Because the worker closed the case, her son was cut from the free school lunch program. Thankfully the principal made sure the kid got a lunch anyway and I was able to round up some donated food for them to get them through those months.
    There is always going to be "that lady" trying to get something for nothing. Doesn't matter if its food benefits, tax exepmtions, or an education. But limiting the foods that can be bought would not be a great idea. You can never buy anything but food with food stamps and never any prepared foods. True there will always be someone who finds a way, but not everybody on food stamps needs the government controlling thier grocery list. Its bad enough the things they get into when you wind up needing help in the first place.

There actually used to be restrictions on the food purchased. No organics or diet foods. I can remember a cashier yelling at me in front of a line of people when my daughter was a newborn. I was buying organic milk and yogurt and cereal with food stamps and WIC. She went off on how if I need government money to feed myself then I don't need to eat good food. I left that store, tore up the food stamps and WIC cupons and got 2 more jobs...The purpose of not allowing those foods was because they cost more. Health was never on the agenda.

Sorry. This is totally off topic.
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    I do enjoy some checkout judging here and there... The only seriously troubling thing I see on a regular basis in carts are obscene amounts of candy, sugary juices and sodas. I'd say they're one of the largest culprits of weight creep (adults) and childhood obesity. OH, and tooth decay. They play a nice role in that, also. But on the other side of the coin, not everyone buying these items is obese.

I also witness well-educated family members continually buying sugary sodas and juice boxes and using the infamous "just one per day, honey" line to their overweight kids. Or using the "it's natural fruit juice, therefore it's OKAY" line. Unfortunately, it should be more like ZERO of these sugary beverages allowed per day, but I'm not their parent, nor do I want to play the advice giver. So drink up kids and I hope you soon realize why you shouldn't be drinking that garbage on a daily basis...

If there's one thing I've learned, no one likes the family nutrition zealot. Only dispense your brand of nutritional wisdom if someone is genuinely interested. Otherwise, keep it to yourself.

Other than that, it's interesting to see various forms of "healthy" fare. One man's diet is another man's junk fest, no doubt. I scoff at canned low fat soups and the mom with those scoffs at my pack of black angus steaks and container of whole fat milk. Both of us are not overweight and have our own perspective of health. And that's just how it goes... :)
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    well well...you think you're going to just check into mfp for a few minutes, update your foods and maybe read a post or two and then you get sucked into a post like this! sheeshe! lol. Actually I think this post is great - call me switzerland but I think there are very valid points on all sides of this fence. It's great to get a little stirred up from time to time because it's that passion that makes us take action.

of course the only thing more upsetting than the situation that shboss first posted is when you're in line in the grocery store and you see some SKINNY chick with a cart full of junk food and regular soda...oh wait...that's just jealousy, never mind.

I will say that after learning more and more about nutrition and after actually putting that knowledge into practice I do sometimes feel like someone is going to call me out in the grocery store if they see one item of "bad" food in my cart. I almost had a fit a few weeks ago when we had friends visiting from out of town - we had some bad weather and decided to hunker down and have a movie fest and a nice fire going and hang out on the couch in our pjs. so first we went to the grocery store to get "snacks" for the day - and we each (4 adults - no kids) picked something different to pig out on. Don't you know when we get to the register the other 3 bail on me for starbucks while I get to put the bags of chips, candy, and all the crap on the belt. and because we had plenty of other/good/real food at home they were the ONLY things in the cart. I was dying. but I still enjoyed the junkfest afterwards.