Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to insult Dynamites intelligence with the microwave question?
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    i see you giving advice to cut calories of 10% on some peoples diets who are already eating very low calories i.e the person on 800 cals what is your take on eating below 1200 cals and people exercising at this amount and not eating back the cals burned do you as dietician believe this to be a healthy way to lose weight

Partly because if someone is consistently eating below their maintenance, then they would still be losing weight. So whatever reason that is, a % based calorie cut will usually do the trick because
    1. calories
    2. BMR
    3. portion sizes
    4. values on the MFP...
    5. etc....

...Are all estimations anyways. Calculations are a good starting point. Relative adjustments do the trick just fine from there.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, thanks for posting here! I've been on a plateau for about 4 months - gaining and losing the same couple pounds. I'm getting really frustrated and not sure how to push myself back into loss (I still have about 20 lbs to go before I am in a "normal" BMI range) Any tips?
    I'm a high-protein vegetarian & eat about 1400 cals a day (spread out into about 5 little meal/snacks through the day), getting exercise in about 2-3 times a week.

You need to cut calories. Try a 10% cut and make sure you are being consistent. Check your weight again in a month.

disagree strongly. i eat 1450 on the days i do nothing and 1700 to 2000 on the days i kick butt at the gym...( weights/cardio)
    once i increased my calories from 1200 i started dropping weight. i was stuck for months because i was eating too LITTLE.

I agree with Jules. Tony, you may have a degree in whatever, but dispensing generic advice on the internet can be harmful. You don't know this woman's age, height, weight, anything at all, and you told her to cut 10% off her intake. What if she is already eating too little?

If she was taking in less than her maintenance calories, she would be losing weight. People cannot defy the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

If she is not giving herself nutrient deficiencies, then she is not eating too little.

Like jules, I was stuck for months because I was eating too little. And you didn't tell that poster anything about nutrient deficiencies. Part of the problem with telling people to cut 10% - what if they're already at 1200, they cut 10%, lose a few pounds, get stuck again, cut 10% again - that doesn't seem the logical way to go about it for those already eating so little, especially if they could be eating more and lose.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i see you giving advice to cut calories of 10% on some peoples diets who are already eating very low calories i.e the person on 800 cals what is your take on eating below 1200 cals and people exercising at this amount and not eating back the cals burned do you as dietician believe this to be a healthy way to lose weight

Partly because if someone is consistently eating below their maintenance, then they would still be losing weight. So whatever reason that is, a % based calorie cut will usually do the trick because
    1. calories
    2. BMR
    3. portion sizes
    4. values on the MFP...
    5. etc....

...Are all estimations anyways. Calculations are a good starting point. Relative adjustments do the trick just fine from there.

You ignored my question :(
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Thanks for being here, Tony. Perhaps you can help me with a couple of situations:

First, I do exercise about four to five days a week, walking around my neighborhood with at least five hills in the area. I also use 1-pound wrist weights to add a little more challenge into it. How can I accurately enter that in the exercise when I've had to make it up myself?

Second, I know my caloric intake is at 1200. However, when I exercise, it appears I have to add MORE calories to accommodate the situation. I've been below the minimum almost all the time and wonder if I'm starving myself without realizing it. Should I change the minimum to a smaller number or leave it as it is?

Finally, I've been waking up at 3am every morning with a slightly elevated heartrate. I've tested my blood sugar a couple of times when that happens and discovered it's around 70, which might be a little too low for me. Should I have a snack (like a banana) standing by to take care of this? (And for the record, I did discuss this with my doctor last week during my checkup.)

Just estimate your calories burned via exercise as best you can. Maybe try 5-7 cals per minute for what you are describing.

As long as you aren't hungry, losing all your energy, or other negative health effects, there is nothing wrong with an aggressive calorie cut for someone who has a lot to lose.

You may want to follow up with your Dr. for advice on that last question.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    Hi Tony, You are really cool for offering your help. this site has helped me feel so much more supported than i was before. im so impressed that its free, i think that's a very important part.

Anyhow i have a question about how this site works. it first tells me that to lose weight i need to consume 2070 calories per day based on my weight of 340 ponds. okay, great. then i go swimming for 30 minutes and it says ive burned @ 400 calories, great. so then if i understand correctly its telling me that i can now consume a revised total of calories (2470).

my question is, is that right? will i really lose weight that way, or should i just stick to 2070 and then ill lose weight faster? maybe too fast? i dont know, i do know that i have serious hunger after a good swim and that its a good idea to have a snack/meal after.....what would be idea then?

i hope i haven't asked too much.

thanks so much (if you can find the time cause i bet you get a lot of questions!!!!)

chad byron AKA lordbyproduct
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hi i have just started and my calorie in take is 1200 and am under every day .i think i eat alot can you tell me where i am going wrong
    Elizabeth, if you want anyone to be able to comment on your diet you'll need to make your diary public. Go to "settings" to change it. Hope this helps.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I have never had official blood tests or anything, but anemia runs in my family, and I am positive I have it. I went to donate blood (twice in the past year) and my hemoglobin was very low. How should I go about upping my iron to get rid of the symptoms? I am a meat eater and a veggie eater. I take a multi with iron, and I started taking 65mg iron supplements 2 days ago.

Any suggestions on what else I can do to increase absorption or how long I can take the iron supplements? When should I notice a change?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm female and 20 years old.

Well it sounds like you've made some good modifications. Just get your blood tested again in a few weeks. I think you'll be fine.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    :flowerforyou: just read the posts and answers, i think its great ur answering to everyone, even though people ask the same questions again and again...
  • shellybsn
    shellybsn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Any advice on trying to lose weight while breastfeeding. I don't want to drop my supply by cutting too much. What's appropriate at this stage of the game?
  • LittleRedBird18
    LittleRedBird18 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for helping out on this site. I do have one question. How much fruit is too much per day? I love fruit, and we keep a lot on had in our house to snack on. I usually have at least two servings a day. But sometimes I would like to eat more. Should I just stick with one or two?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Question--with a bladed juicer, how much of the nutrition doesn't make it into the juice? I am contemplating getting a juicer, because I think it woud be an easy way to up my veggie intake, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I have to wonder how much of the healthy stuff is discarded in the lefover pulp.

Sorry for the lame answer, but it's just hard to say. You're probably getting all the water soluble vitamins but missing out on some of the fiber.
  • JVanDam77
    JVanDam77 Posts: 130
    Options
    Bump
  • Kp1593
    Kp1593 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi could you pls check my diary & see what am i doing wrong, i am not losing much wt like i should, any advice, i know i have not documented h20 intake but i drink more then 8 glasses a day! am i not picking right foods??:smile::smile:
  • amhalterman
    amhalterman Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

I'm glad to offer and feedback or help for your nutrition or fitness questions.

Hi Tony!
    What are your thoughts about eating a lot of baby spinach? I've heard conflicting stories - something about too much oxalates can cause kidney stones.

I really love baby spinach - I use it in salad normally, and even more so now since I've joined MFP and am working to become healthier. Do you think there are generally any concerns in eating about 4 cups of baby spinach a day, over the long-term?

Thanks for being here!

That question would be easier to answer if you knew your family history concerning kidney stones and if you have personally had any.

If you haven't, I wouldn't worry about it.
    If you had and they determined it was related to a high oxalate food intake, then you would want to stay away from that.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about the effectiveness, strictly physiologically speaking (I'm ignoring psychological aspects), of taking an extended period at maintenance in an attempt to upregulate the hormones that downregulate over prolonged periods of dieting (leptin/etc).
  • SRR15
    SRR15 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Its like you read my mind! I was just thinking earlier I need to speak to a dietitian because I'm confused on some things...
    Question number 1: Do I eat below BMR? Or between BMR and TDEE?

What's TDEE?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I was once told by someone to drink 6 cups of prune juice and eat broccoli 5 min later. Would you care to explain to me why?

This would seem to have a pretty strong laxative effect.

But to answer "why" I am not sure why someone would tell you that.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    There's a debate raging on the boards right now called "Please stop microwaving your food". Perhaps you can add your professional opinion?

My opinion is that there is nothing wrong with microwaving food. The end.