Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options

Replies

• coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Give or take

You either give or you take lol, which one?

Oh no dear. I give and receive. :wink:
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old's new phrase is "I know..right?" I get it, but it drives me nuts
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I really hate it when people say "literally" and follow with something that is not literal.

I also hate, "That's so random."

Or "I did a 360" when they mean a 180.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm mildly irritated by people who misuse "beg the question" or "split the baby," but I've mostly given up.

I'm strongly irritated by using "like" in place of "um" or "says." That was a Valley Girl thing 30 years ago, and the pre-teens are STILL FRICKIN SAYING IT!!! DO YOU SERIOUSLY MEAN "LIKE" IS GOING TO, LIKE, OUTLIVE ME?
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    I hate when people say "funnier" that's not a word... it's "more fun"! :noway:

But, "funnier" is a word, i.e. "his joke was funnier than mine." Now, if you meant "funner," then, I agree because that's not a word.:flowerforyou:

Correct!! Funnier is the comparitive form of the adjective funny!!! Sorry OP!!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

Or "I did a 360" when they mean a 180.

Oh my goodness, completely forgot about this one! My kids were taught at a young age if you do a 360, you'll just be right back where you started! That one litterally drives me crazy! But I could care less. (sorry, couldn't help myself, but I really do hate the 360 thing)
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Irregardless, it is what it is, because you can have your cake and eat it to. Surely you can't be serious? I am serious but I could care less.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL
  • JediMindfck
    JediMindfck Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    “.................... is so ADDICTING!”

Whether it be ice-cream, chocolate, this video game, whatever. It’s ****ing annoying. Use “addictive” people!

I also find it irritating when people rather emphatically exclaim “That’s what I’m talking about!” after someone else’s comment.

Ummmm, no buddy, you weren’t talking at all. If anything that’s what you’re “listening about”.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    My wife always says " Not tonight, I have a headache"..

Every freaking night? I just don't get it or get "It".

You gotta take George Burn's advice. He waited till supper was over, the dishes were done- till the little wifey was ready to sit down and relax- walk over and had her a glass of water and 2 pain relievers (whatever she normally takes)....
    and when she asks, "What's *this* for?"
    You reply, "For your headache."
    When she looks @ you dumbfounded and replies, " But I don't have a headache....."
    Welllllllll, there ya go.......
    BUT it'll only work ONCE.
    The next night she'll be on to you.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I get irritated @ the
    "Ya know what I'm sayin'?"

it is such an arrogant remark
    I gotta bite my tongue, cuz the whole time I'm thinkin'

Noooooooooooo.....I'm a complete moron...........can you please draw pictures????????
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    A friend at work is constantly interjecting the words, "You know what I'm saying?" throughout every conversation we have. I have even tried saying back each time, "Yes. I know what you're saying." But she never blinks. Just keeps on talking and talking and saying that phrase! I start smiling as soon as she starts talking because everybody else in the office gets what I'm doing. :happy: :happy:

Oh, we must have the same co-worker! I work with a lady that says that and "you know" or "I mean" in EVERY sentence she says. It is so annoying... but another co-worker and I make a game of seeing how many times she says it in any given conversation.

I find myself counting, too. Sometimes lose the train of her thought. Not a real big loss, usually!
  • jeanzbeanz
    jeanzbeanz Posts: 64
    Options
    Don't do anything half-@ssed.

Where did this come from? Was there someone not giving 100% @ss?
  • pipsqueak12
    pipsqueak12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "I could care less". Well yes, You could care less in fact. It should be "I couldn't care less."
    It burns my *kitten* to see it!

^^^THIS! It was literally the first thing that popped into my head :)
    Why do people say it ARGHHHH!

(and it seems to be those in the US that get it wrong most. Im not hating just making an observation)
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    "Go big or go home!" I'm not trying to offend anyone by saying this, but the origin of this phrase comes from the bar scene where at 2am (closing time), all of the hot girls are already taken. So the phrase is meant to mean either you sleep with an overweight girl or go home.

Oh, and it's spelled "Grammar."
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    Irregardless, it is what it is, because you can have your cake and eat it to. Surely you can't be serious? I am serious but I could care less.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Irregardless were loosing are patients with ewe!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I hate when strangers walk past me and say "cheer up, it may never happen" .. what may never happen?!..
    You don't know my life so why even make any comment. I usually just respond with "it already has"

This is guaranteed to make me angry :explode:
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    'You can't have your cake and eat it...'

WHY NOT?! If you are going to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it then why give it to me in the first place.

....I now REALLY want some cake!

I looked this up one time and the original quote is apparently "you can't eat your cake and have it too" because once you've eaten it it's gone. Or more accurately moved to your butt or thighs...
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I cringe inside when people say irregardless...

I want to stop them in their tracks and say "NO! That's NOT a WORD!!"

But I don't because I haven't yet been appointed to the role of grammarnazi... I have applied, however. :drinker:
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    "SERIOUSLY?!"

No I'm just kidding! OF COURSE I'M SERIOUS!

I agree completely!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    'You can't have your cake and eat it...'

WHY NOT?! If you are going to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it then why give it to me in the first place.

....I now REALLY want some cake!

EXACTLY!!! Id like to see someone put a piece of cake in front of me and try and stop me from eating it.. don't they realize im fat for a reason.. that reason is cake.. and i'll be damned if they try and stop my from eating some cheesecake!!

It's because the cake is a lie.

Also that ^ is a saying I don't get :I