benefits of intermitten fasting for bodybuilding

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    IF zealots are possibly worse than paleo/low carb/vegan/clean eating zealots
  • lclowe0808
    lclowe0808 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So...how long do you fast to reap the benefits? A day..2 days at a time???
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    This post is about as ridiculous as any I've come across.

So now IF releases all the toxins from your body? LMAO. Go smoke another one brah.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF this entire week. I wouldn't get on the band wagon yet but so far it's fine. You don't feel like you're starving. You don't feel weak during workouts. If it helps to cut fat then why not?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I've been doing IF this entire week. I wouldn't get on the band wagon yet but so far it's fine. You don't feel like you're starving. You don't feel weak during workouts. If it helps to cut fat then why not?

A calorie deficit cuts fat. You can do IF....eat a surplus....and well....gain fat! =)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

The biggest benefit for me is convenience and calorie control. In my experience, many of the claimed benefits are a stretch- it's not a magic bullet for fat loss for the average person trying to lose weight, though there may be some benefits for those people who are at goal weight and working on body composition goals- I'm not there yet so I don't claim to have experience with it. I fast daily, 16 hrs. I did one Eat-stop-eat 24-hr fast, but that type of fasting doesn't really appeal to me. So I fast (usually) from 10 pm to 2pm the next day, everyday.
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    no my if is about 16 hrs a day includes my sleep some times 14 or 15 hrs a day so all it is is a late breakfast so whither that in mind I can eat what i want like in the past 10 days I have at least 3 sodas sometimes a haft gallon of icecreame what ever I want and still lose 8 pounds in 10 days and my body fat was about 9 now its 7ish great for only having a late breakfast.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I have at least 3 sodas sometimes a haft gallon of icecreame what ever I want and still lose 8 pounds in 10 days and my body fat was about 9 now its 7ish great for only having a late breakfast.

Because you ended up eating a calorie deficit over the course of 10 days.

Your 10 day TDEE was greater than your Calorie intake.
  • billyh333
    Options
    I have at least 3 sodas sometimes a haft gallon of icecreame what ever I want and still lose 8 pounds in 10 days and my body fat was about 9 now its 7ish great for only having a late breakfast.

no I mean a haft gallon of icecream a day and 3 sodas a day I think a haft gallon of bryers ice cream has about 3000 calories in it the soda has 250 so 3 of them is 750 calories and I eat more then that .
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    no my if is about 16 hrs a day includes my sleep some times 14 or 15 hrs a day so all it is is a late breakfast so whither that in mind I can eat what i want like in the past 10 days I have at least 3 sodas sometimes a haft gallon of icecreame what ever I want and still lose 8 pounds in 10 days and my body fat was about 9 now its 7ish great for only having a late breakfast.

imagesCATWJECK.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    Options

no I mean a haft gallon of icecream a day and 3 sodas a day I think a haft gallon of bryers ice cream has about 3000 calories in it the soda has 250 so 3 of them is 750 calories and I eat more then that .

WHAT?!?!
  • joejccva71
    Options

So you ate a calorie surplus every day over your maintenance (TDEE), and you lost weight and went from 9% bodyfat to 7%?
  • joejccva71
    Options

Sure wish I could lose 2% bodyfat in 10 days being that lean.
  • billyh333
    Options
    yes that is correct i will post my b4 and after pics in the next 15 min to my profile with my progress my main profile pic now i was at 138 now i am 130 and cut when I started if it took me about 40 days to go from 164 to 138 and yes I have a bad sweet tooth so i shall post my b4 and after pics in a couple mins and yes I eat about 3000-4000 calories aday in junk I could not do that with the 6 small meals

WHAT?!?!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me and many and will always work is what I always do. The more traditional method that has never failed anyone that I known and have worked with from an athletic level in high school sports, and college.

Eat your heavier carbs in your first two meals, preferably from oats, wheat, and low glycemic carbs that keep you full such as brown rice (but prefer oats).

rest of your 2 meals eat dark green carbs (spinach, green beans (not canned, but frozen is ok, or broccoli), and lean meats (chicken breasts, lean pork etc)

before going to bed you can drink a slow absorbing protein source such as casein.

Really simple, you are not really cutting your carbs early in the day but you eating different kinds of carbs that have fiber which is important for your diet, keep you full, and have less carbs.

There are times that the following morning that I have played around with fasting by pushing my breakfast to 12:00 pm. I'm not sure if I have noticed any difference and I have done it for 3 days straight. Just didn't pay attention to the results. Not really the type of track down results by pounds but the mirror is always the judge.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    yes that is correct i will post my b4 and after pics in the next 15 min to my profile with my progress my main profile pic now i was at 138 now i am 130 and cut when I started if it took me about 40 days to go from 164 to 138 and yes I have a bad sweet tooth so i shall post my b4 and after pics in a couple mins and yes I eat about 3000-4000 calories aday in junk I could not do that with the 6 small meals

WHAT?!?!

It's very difficult to understand what you're saying. Joe decoded most of it- I can't take credit here. So what you're saying, is at 9%BF you switched to IF, and started eating 3000-4000 calories in junk surplus, above your maintenance TDEE, and in 10 days you lowered your body fat from 9% to 7%? The only difference being that you switched to IF?

How exactly did you measure your body fat? There has to be something else going on here.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    IF is not magic. Unless you are a wizard.

It will not cause weight loss any differently than regular calorie restriction.

It's a different method to consume calories. If comes down to personal preference. I understand if you have just caught on to IF. It's exciting and you think you've found the answers to all of your problems. It's shiny, new and exciting isn't it? I was there once too. I followed IF for 8 months straight. I stopped a while back to see if I could still achieve the same performance in my training and results from calorie restriction. Yep...it works both ways.

By the way..nice cut n' paste job on your original post...
  • billyh333
    Options
    Check out my if pictures my results There you have it was 164 pounds did if for 40 days now i am 130 and i eat all kinds of crap body fat was about 15 now its 7
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Check out my if pictures my results There you have it was 164 pounds did if for 40 days now i am 130 and i eat all kinds of crap body fat was about 15 now its 7

Do you lift?
  • billyh333
    Options
    IF is not magic. Unless you are a wizard.

It will not cause weight loss any differently than regular calorie restriction.

It's a different method to consume calories. If comes down to personal preference. I understand if you have just caught on to IF. It's exciting and you think you've found the answers to all of your problems. It's shiny, new and exciting isn't it? I was there once too. I followed IF for 8 months straight. I stopped a while back to see if I could still achieve the same performance in my training and results from calorie restriction. Yep...it works both ways.

By the way..nice cut n' paste job on your original post...
    now sorry I cut and pastse a couple things cause my grammer sucks lol but the fact of the matter is that I did if have great knowledge of fitness and got amazing results sorry grammer was not my good thing in school but the fact I work out every day and have helped friends get in great shape and random people I mean at the gym and give them good advice and its working for them