What foods do you think made you fat?

Options

Replies

• hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think my culprit has been cheese. I love cheese.
    And potatoes.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    this is tough. i really think this comes down to genes and portion control. i have a girlfriend who can eat more than most men i know and i kid you not, she is stick thin. she's 5'3" and about 105lbs. my husband's best friend is about 6 feet tall, built like a bean pole with muscles, extremely active and he lives on yogurt, muesli/granola, bananas, peanut butter, bread, cheese and powerbars to no end. the guy is basically bones with muscles wrapped around them. no body fat, not an inch to pinch. i'd say that these people have won the genetic lottery.

for me, i don't think it's certain foods that make me fat. it's my tendency to overconsume them. i lose all control. i'll say to myself, "ok...just one cookie". then one cookie somehow turns into 5 cookies, plus cheetos, plus fresh sourdough bread and then i'll top it all off with pinkberry yogurt. and it happens so fast.

someone once told me "food just sits there. you don't have to touch it. you don't have to put it in your mouth. and you certainly don't have to eat it." interesting thought. problem is it just tastes so damn good.
  • njauatin
    njauatin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fast food and lots of it. I would eat fast food 2 to 3 time a day. Drinking sodas and eating junk. When I look back on things that I use to eat in one day I get sick to my stomach. I can't believe I ate those things and how much I ate it.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Well, I was a clinically diagnosed binge eater. There were a number of "comfort foods" I would binge on. Ice cream, cereal, pretzels, chips and salsa, cookies, pizza, M&Ms, Hostess snacks, and Taco Bell were the main ones. Huge, mindless portions of everything & emotional eating :/ remembering how I used to sit down with all my food and plow right through it, while feeling fat and sorry for myself, just makes me so sad to think about.

Cereal and chips are still two of my favorite foods but I've learned to eat them in more moderate amounts.
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know its been said a million times already but its true. Most of what I ate I ate to much of. Then the Drinking Oh the drinking. I have finally stopped drinking every day after a nearly 20 year Love affair with all things Alcohol. Instead of coming home drinking till I pass out and watching tv. I go out side ... go to the gym. Seeing the results in the mirror has been the biggest motivation to stick with it.

Breakfast
    Old me: MACDONALDS!!!!!
    New Me: Greek Yogurt and a Naked Smoothie
    Lunch
    Old me: Dominos, Macdonalds or Wendys
    New Me: Whole Foods or Fresh Market for a custom made sandwich or salad with Quinoa as a side. ( as a treat i might have 1 cookie)

Dinner:
    Old Me: A giant pile of Pasta or at 20oz steak with a Loaded Baked potato and a few beers with Pie or cake as desert
    New me: Pasta now is whole grain and is now a side not a meal my steaks are now no larger then 12oz and if im eating a baked potato it now is a baked sweet potato with nothing on it.

Treats

Fat Free jello made with hood calorie beverage
    Blue Bunny sweet freedom icecream
    Fruit ( carefull if your watching sugar)
    Cake or pie ( a 1/2 portion )

Moderation is key and food that taste good and is good for you is out there!
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Dairy, grains, alcohol, sugar.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    food didn't make me gain weight *I* made me gain weight....i take full responsibility for my own actions not trying to shove it off onto food or other things...it was all my own doing....
  • IAmFranciscoB
    Options
    Before I made the switch to gluten free, it was definitely all the pizzas and pastas. and lets not forget beer and alcohol.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Mine was just food in general. I just ate too much food. Not any one specific food. Just all of it. Too much.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I ordered in too many times. I was a lazy student and had the money so I thought, why not?

Of course, I regret it now, but I still enjoy the occasional take-away.

^ This and gas station food. I didn't cook before & it was much much easier than cooking
  • jlevie313
    Options
    Several obviously but my huge weakness used to be Kraft Macaroni and Cheese! I could eat the whole box! I have gone since
    January without it and I had it a few weeks ago it doesn't taste at all as good as I remember weird how our tastes change !
  • sisterphonetica
    sisterphonetica Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Potato scones, peanut butter by the jar, and crisps.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    thai food and craft beer!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've gotten to know myself better over the 2 years I've been here and frankly I don't particularly like what I've found out. For me it was gluttony. Pure and simple. Didn't matter the food. What seemed to happen is that I needed, make that wanted more of it.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Slushies - 7 eleven, Godavia carmel candy bars, mcdonald's carmel sundaes, chocolate melting cake, christmas sugar cookies with icing on them, ice cream with homemade chocolate fudge. diet soda and also just plain coke.

Having a few rum and diet cokes one night a week (date night) and next morning feeling crappy and then eatting crappy.

I have a very bad sweet tooth. Then top that off with lack of exercise.

Snowball effect happened and back pain and then less exercise and then eatting too much sugar and other bad carbs.

I am now feeling like I am in recovery mode...found MFP and watching everything I eat and exercising more even if my back hurts because I am overweight. I cut out soda and replaced it with lemon and water (no sugar or sub added). I am trying very hard not to give into my sweet tooth.
  • roguestates
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said there are no bad foods, though I have eaten more than my fair share of cheetos in the past. Pretty much anything crunchy, salty, and umami-licious had my name on it. I could kill a large bag of doritos or a few pieces of fried chicken in a single day. Never really admitted this to myself before...

edit: forgot a word

That's not true. Potato chips and stuff like that can't be considered bad foods because a single serving of them won't ruin your entire day. I'm talking about foods that have like 90% of your DV of fat of 160%(?) or your DV of cholesterol in a single serving. There's no way that you can eat these kinds of foods, even in moderation, and still have a balanced diet.

You have to consider the chasm between what "they" call a serving and what you consider a serving.

I used to have a few slices of bread with peanut butter as a snack. Four slices of bread plus 1/2 cup of peanut butter works out to 1000 calories give or take. That was a snack. Between meals. And back then it never would have occurred to me that it was part of the problem.

These days, instead of limiting myself to single tablespoon doses of peanut butter like some kind of masochist, I've written off the food completely.

once you pop...

yeah, serving sizes matter, and there are way fewer chips/oz of chicken/pastries in a recommended serving than your mouth would like to believe.
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Fast food 2x a day (literally, sometimes 3x) and soda! I'm sure no exercise at all played a big role too.
  • cindyjo01
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of White Zinfandel and me and the hubby ate a lot of Mexican food. What were we thinking?! :drinker: :blushing:
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Food in general made me fat! But as far as overindulgence goes I would say alcohol and french fries...those are my favs.
  • UWZander
    UWZander Posts: 70
    Options
    There's no such thing as bad food, just people who eat badly!!

Uhh, Mcdonalds and energy drinks. If a drink can burn off the outer coating of a penny, you should be scared. If the same drink can't do anything to a hamburger, run away from both.