benefits of intermitten fasting for bodybuilding

Options
14567810»

Replies

• billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    There here is the best article about fasting for all you if haters I copied this and will paste it
  • billyh333
    Options
    Experts and muscleheads alike say to build a lean, muscular body you must follow three rules:

1. eat a lot of protein

2. have a variety of nutrient-dense foods

3. eat every three to four hours

We’re told that trying to get big and strong without this trifecta is a waste of time. Especially if we ignore that last rule. But some have questioned whether meal frequency is really that important. Can you actually build muscle and lose fat faster by going long stretches without eating?

Those in the intermittent fasting (IF) movement think so.

It sounds counter-intuitive for building muscle, but the hardest of the hardcore “fasters” aren’t simply skipping meals. They’re combining periods of fasting with calculated high protein re-feeding — and are getting bigger and leaner.

By not having to eat so often, they’re enjoying less meal-time hassle, and all the while thumbing their noses at the so-called experts.

Dr. John Berardi is one of those experts.

For years he championed six-meals-a-day, and got awesome results with thousands of clients. But Berardi is also a scientist, and at the heart of the scientific method is objectivity. If new information comes to light that could improve upon current practices, it’s up to the scientists to swallow their pride and revisit their conclusions.

Sadly, many don’t. They say they want to see more or better research first, a fancy way of saying they’d rather hole up in their ivory tower than suffer the humiliation of admitting they may be wrong. So, Berardi took a different route. He jumped into the fasting fire and used his own body as a guinea pig for six different fasting protocols over an eight-month period. And like any good scientist, he documented everything along the way. In fact, he even published an entirely free e-book detailing all of his experiments and results, called Experiments with Intermittent Fasting. I know because I co-authored it with him. So, is intermittent fasting (IF) a crock of crap? Or is it the future of high performance eating? I talked with JB to get his thoughts.

Nate: Fasting? Are you just trying to capitalize on the IF hype?

Dr. Berardi: Not at all. Frankly, I’m exposing myself to serious scrutiny by even entertaining IF — after all, it’s counter to what a large part of my career has been built on. I’ve transformed a lot of bodies through a frequent feeding approach. But the benefits I’ve been reading, both in the message boards and in the literature, are intriguing. The more I looked at IF, the more I saw it as something that could help a lot of people, especially those who find frequent feedings a challenge. But before I endorsed it, I wanted to test it myself to see what kinds of physiological and psychological changes would come from it.

Nate Green: So what were your results?

Dr Berardi: Well, some really cool things happened. Getting into everything is beyond the scope of this interview, since I collected a hell-uva lot of measures. But, to sum up, I lost about 20 pounds of fat, while preserving most of my lean mass. I went from a fairly lean 10 percent body fat to a very lean 4 percent (as measured by ultrasound).

Here are some progress photos:

Nate: Wow. You’re diced! But you’re always pretty lean, JB. Did you test drive IF with any of your clients?

Dr Berardi: Yep, I put a few of my clients to the test, but not just with folks looking to lose weight. I used IF with a guy who wanted to gain weight – and he gained 20 pounds of quality lean mass in a matter of months.

Nate: 20 pounds of mass gained by not eating?

Dr Berardi: Not exactly. I used a bunch of different fasting ideas in my experiments, all of which I detail in a free e-book I just published called Experiments with Intermittent Fasting –more on that later. Some of the experiments involved strategic daily fasts combined with short intense periods of post workout overfeeding. Other experiments used one weekly-full day fast combined with four days of weekly overfeeding and two days of maintenance eating. In the end, whether the test subjects wanted to lose weight or gain weight, we used strategic periods of under and overfeeding to accomplish those goals. In the case of that client who gained 20 pounds, he fasted one full day a week (Sunday). He ate at maintenance three days of the week (on conditioning days). And he ate a huge surplus three days of the week (on strength training days). And not only did he gain 20 pounds, he improved every tested performance indicator –aerobic, anaerobic, and strength/power.

Nate: Cool, what about getting lean? What exactly have you been doing personally?

Dr Berardi: Well, I haven’t been doing one plan so much as I’ve been experimenting with a number of different intermittent fasting ideas. During the last eight months, I’ve played around with at least eight different IF protocols. Some of them worked okay, some were flops. One in particular was so bad I thought it would cost me my marriage! This included two full-day fasts each week. But, another worked as good or better than any other dietary protocol I’ve ever tried. I actually gained more lean body mass than I wanted. I was trying to lose weight and had to cut it short. This included fasting for 16 hours each day, followed by a fasted training session, and then three huge meals during the eight hours post-workout. Again, the free e-book goes into all the details. I outline all the protocols. And I kept meticulous notes on everything from scale weight, body-fat percentage, and blood/hormonal markers, to lifestyle markers like energy levels, and cognition. What can I say? I’m a scientist.

Nate: I’d still be kind of afraid of what fasting would do to my muscle mass.

Dr Berardi: Let me guess: you assume because you got big and strong by eating lots of food, frequently throughout the day, fasting would do the opposite? You’d get smaller and weaker?

Nate: Well, yeah.

Dr Berardi: Funny, it doesn’t really work that way at all. Not if you do it right.

Nate: Okay, so how does one “do it right?”

Dr Berardi: Again, depending on the goal, there are different fasting protocols, from weekly 24-hour fasts to twice-a-week fasts to daily fasts lasting anywhere from 16-20 hours. I get into them all in the book. But let’s just say more is not always better. It’s important to strike a delicate balance between undereating and overeating to stimulate the fat burning process while also seeing hormonal surges that help with recovery and muscle-building. For example, growth hormone is released in tremendous quantities during extended fasts. Of course, daily and weekly calorie intake is still important. You can’t grow if you’re in a calorie deficit, regardless of whether you’re eating 2 meals a day or 6 meals a day. Likewise, you can’t lose fat if you’re not in a calorie deficit. Also, there are certain supplements that help mitigate hunger and preserve lean body mass. Of course, by doing so it may no longer be “fasting” in the purest sense of the word, but I’m interested in results, not semantics. And a small handful of supplements definitely help deliver better results.

Nate: So competitive bodybuilders could try this?

Dr Berardi: It depends. You don’t just throw intermittent fasting into the mix without considering everything. The program has to represent an internally consistent system. The parts all have to fit together. If they don’t, it’s not going to work. For example, during high volume training, intermittent fasting would probably be a mistake. Further, I also find that IF works better with calorie and carb cycling during the training cycle. Again, everything has to fit together for this to work.

Nate: So, six meals-a-day is so 2010?

Dr Berardi: No way! IF works, but people have been getting and staying in awesome shape for decades without it. So I think more frequent eating still has a great place in performance nutrition. Whether to eat frequently or infrequently, to fast or not to fast; it’s about finding what works best for your own body and your own preferences. In my case, I found that IF didn’t accelerate my fat loss. But it did make it much easier to maintain a low body fat percentage. I’ve been able to maintain my 20-pound weight loss for five months. And I even outline some hybrid ideas where I use fasting some days and more frequent eating the others.

Nate: How can people learn more?

Dr Berardi: As you know, I just published an absolutely free book on the subject called Experiments with Intermittent Fasting. I cover everything, including details of my training programs and my exact eating plans for all the IF protocols I tried. You can literally do what I did step-by-step, although if you’re smart, you’ll skip my screw-ups and go straight to my successes. It’s 100% hosted on-line so anyone interested in more can pop over to the site and read the entire thing right now, for free, without having to give their email address or anything.

About Dr Berardi

John Berardi received his PhD in Exercise Physiology and Nutrient Biochemistry at the University of Western Ontario, Canada. He’s currently an Adjunct Professor at Eastern Michigan University and the University of Texas. As an elite nutrition coach and exercise physiologist, Dr. Berardi has coached hundreds of elite amateur and professional athletes. In fact, in the last two Winter Olympics alone, his athletes collected over 25 medals, 12 of them gold. He’s also a high performance consultant with Nike. Further, for the last 4 years, Dr. Berardi has acted as the director of the world’s largest body transformation project. This one-of-a- kind fat loss coaching program has produced more total weight loss than all 11 seasons of The Biggest
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Experts and muscleheads alike say to build a lean, muscular body you must follow three rules:

1. eat a lot of protein

2. have a variety of nutrient-dense foods

3. eat every three to four hours

Ummm...no you don't Meal timing is irrelevant. He would have the exact same results eating anytime he wanted to or any kind of meal frequency he wanted to.

We’re told that trying to get big and strong without this trifecta is a waste of time. Especially if we ignore that last rule. But some have questioned whether meal frequency is really that important. Can you actually build muscle and lose fat faster by going long stretches without eating?

Those in the intermittent fasting (IF) movement think so

It's cause they live in a dream world.

But, to sum up, I lost about 20 pounds of fat, while preserving most of my lean mass. I went from a fairly lean 10 percent body fat to a very lean 4 percent (as measured by ultrasound).

You did this by ending up eating a moderate calorie deficit each week. You didn't accomplish this by fasting for 16 hours out of the day.
    Dr Berardi: Yep, I put a few of my clients to the test, but not just with folks looking to lose weight. I used IF with a guy who wanted to gain weight – and he gained 20 pounds of quality lean mass in a matter of months.

Nope. Most males would do well to put on 20 lbs of lean mass in a YEAR, not unless a "matter of months" means 12 months. =) This can happen though if you're on gear.
    Nate: 20 pounds of mass gained by not eating?

Yea Nate I know. This whole thing is a smoke show.

Dr Berardi:This included fasting for 16 hours each day, followed by a fasted training session, and then three huge meals during the eight hours post-workout. Again, the free e-book goes into all the details. I outline all the protocols. And I kept meticulous notes on everything from scale weight, body-fat percentage, and blood/hormonal markers, to lifestyle markers like energy levels, and cognition. What can I say? I’m a scientist.

You mean you're a bro-scientist? Also Martin Berkhan invented IF, not you. So please do not take credit for s4*t that you didn't do.
    Nate: So, six meals-a-day is so 2010?

Dr Berardi: No way! IF works,

Hahaha....and nowwwww...for just 3 easy payments of $19.95....we can show you how to deliver an amazing SMOKE SHOW.
    Nate: How can people learn more?

Nate, allow ME (joejccva71) to answer that for you.

BY READING ACTUAL REAL RESEARCH AND STUDIES ON THE SUBJECTS OF NUTRITION, DIETING, and FITNESS.

/the end
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Of course, daily and weekly calorie intake is still important. You can’t grow if you’re in a calorie deficit, regardless of whether you’re eating 2 meals a day or 6 meals a day. Likewise, you can’t lose fat if you’re not in a calorie deficity

Copied from your article. I love that he is trying to take credit for martin berkhan work.

Carb & calorie cycling....didnt martin discuss this as well in leangains. Hmmmmm
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    scale pics = silly
    I lose 5-6 lbs from the time I go to bed........to after my morning potty stop........everyday

at 130 maybe you should eat more often......I weigh 185 st 5'7" and at 130 losing weight would be the last thing on my mind

p.s.

I like IF because I can eat bigger portions when I do eat, it makes eating less easier when trying to lose weight.....for me anyway

Sorry, I skipped the rest of the posts to quote this guy.

A****ingmen.

I'm 5'7, and about 180lbs. I have been IF'ing consistently for about a year. I'd initially used it along with it's NECESSARY assists of a proper caloric intake, and a great strength training routine...to lose 40lbs of mostly fat, in 3mos (I was about 173lbs). I then ended up having surgery on my right biceps, and gained back up to about 200lbs in the downtime. Post surgery...I lost about 7lbs, and then was stuck. Completely...totally stuck, for MONTHS. Until I upped my calories significantly (bit of a miscalculation on my TDEE lol...to the tune of nearly 1000cal, long story), I was stuck at 192lbs. I'm now eating 3000cal+/day...at 37yrs old, and losing weight consistently. Is this due to IF? No way...does IF help in any way beyond adherence? I believe it does (and I also believe that it's very possibly that belief itself that makes the difference lol)....but it's certainly not the magic bullet you're making it out to be.

Anyhow...I'll have to find time to read the rest later. Have some things to do here around the house.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

BY READING ACTUAL REAL RESEARCH AND STUDIES ON THE SUBJECTS OF NUTRITION, DIETING, and FITNESS.

/the end

Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. Dr. John Berardi is the ****. He doesn't charge for his information on IF either; he lays it all out for you. Dr. Berardi is a proven expert in the field of fitness and nutrition, you need to do more homework. Dr. Berardi isn't saying that IF is the only way to eat either and doesn't discount other methods but he does feel that IF works and works well. When you train the amount of pro-athletes that he does and gain his credibility in the fitness community then come back and talk otherwise don't diss somebody that is far more intelligent on the subject matter than you are.
    I'm now eating 3000cal+/day...at 37yrs old, and losing weight consistently. Is this due to IF? No way...does IF help in any way beyond adherence? I believe it does (and I also believe that it's very possibly that belief itself that makes the difference lol)....but it's certainly not the magic bullet you're making it out to be.

I would agree with that. IF isn't a magic bullet but I definitely see some value in it. Even Dr. Berardi indicates there's still value in methods such as eating multiple meals 6 times a day, something more traditional. I've only been trying IF for two weeks now so I don't have a ton of input yet. I have been able to break a small plateau that I hit. I don't seem to be losing scale weight as fast but my body composition does seem to be changing if that makes any sense. In two more weeks I'm going to take another BF test and see how it goes. The other plus to all this is that I'm still maintaining and improving my strength. I was really worried about waking up hungry and hitting the gym, especially on ME days but that worry has been unfounded.
  • jayb33z
    jayb33z Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The Benefits of Intermittent Fasting for Bodybuilding

A good number of bodybuilders shun away from the idea of intermittent fasting. Bodybuilders are lead to believe that you need continuous intake of nutrients and protein to prevent the body from breaking down muscles to be converted to energy. This may be true at some point, but not entirely.

Most bodybuilders consume large amounts of meat and dairy products. The idea is that protein helps in the development of the muscles. However, all that protein that you are consuming can build up toxins in your body. Studies have even shown that intestinal toxins and garbage can weight as much as 20 pounds.

So how do you get rid of these toxins and gunk? The solution is simple. Use intermittent fasting to flush out the toxins that are already in your body.

Fasting is generally defined as abstaining from food for a certain period of time. If you have difficulty of accepting that idea, then you can start fasting by abstaining from hard and solid foods. During the time you are fasting, there are certain metabolic changes your body will go through. Because of this changes, this will in turn help the body greatly in cleansing itself from all those accumulated toxins in your body.

When you fast during bodybuilding you will also be able to enjoy the benefit of increased metabolism. By having increased metabolism you will have the ability to maintain a very lean physique. This will be very vital when going through a bodybuilding regimen. When you have a fast metabolism you will be able to get better results and make more progress as well.

Another thing worth mentioning is that fasting would jump start the healing process in your body. If you time your fasting at right time and intervals, you can let your muscles heal and develop faster as the fasting puts the healing process into overdrive.

Another benefit of fasting is that you will be able to lose fat. By losing fat you will get healthier and have more physical benefits such as more quickness, stamina and flexibility.

Fasting will also maximize the absorption of all of the protein and nutrients you take in after the fast.

Intermittent fasting can be very helpful in bodybuilding to a considerable extent. With the use of fasting you will have a great chance at succeeding in bodybuilding and achieving the best possible results.

That is a big *kitten* phone!!!!
  • jayb33z
    jayb33z Posts: 87 Member
    Options

/the end

Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. Dr. John Berardi is the ****. He doesn't charge for his information on IF either; he lays it all out for you. Dr. Berardi is a proven expert in the field of fitness and nutrition, you need to do more homework. Dr. Berardi isn't saying that IF is the only way to eat either and doesn't discount other methods but he does feel that IF works and works well. When you train the amount of pro-athletes that he does and gain his credibility in the fitness community then come back and talk otherwise don't diss somebody that is far more intelligent on the subject matter than you are.

He's right. Berardi is the shiznit. Been bodybuilder, been fitness writer, been edumakated. Has PhD. Has free information and solid advice. Has rock solid paid plans for fat loss and muscle gaining with dedicated coaches for both. Has a certification program for coaching. Is well respected in the industry.

The man is THE MAN
  • JNick77
    Options

/the end

He's right. Berardi is the shiznit. Been bodybuilder, been fitness writer, been edumakated. Has PhD. Has free information and solid advice. Has rock solid paid plans for fat loss and muscle gaining with dedicated coaches for both. Has a certification program for coaching. Is well respected in the industry.

The man is THE MAN

Exactly. How many people have the title Dr. and My Olympia attached to their name? Few I'm sure.

He doesn't take credit for IF either, he fully gives credit to Martin. He just meant that he wasn't going to discredit Martin's work without trying it first, he's a scientist and wants empirical data for proof one way or another.
  • billyh333
    Options
    some people are just not open minded and only see things in black in white It's like beating a dead horse.
    I didnt read this whole **** show, but I'd like to say that dropping BF on a caloric surplus is VERY possible. I've done it all summer.

Anyone who disagrees is clearly ignorant to the role of timing and hormones. It's not easy and it's very slow, but very possible.

This was about the OP stating a 2% BF loss in 10 days eating a surplus.

Still possible. When hormones and timing align, like coming off a very strong bulk or cut, the workout regimen is just right, etc...such things are possible. Calculating the exact % bf loss is a fool's game imo, but a fat loss in 10 days when starting IF is possible, even at a surplus,

I'm going to leave it at that, unless we can setup a clinical experiment and replicate the situation again, there is no point in debating the specifics.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

/the end

No. $#!t.
    I'm now eating 3000cal+/day...at 37yrs old, and losing weight consistently. Is this due to IF? No way...does IF help in any way beyond adherence? I believe it does (and I also believe that it's very possibly that belief itself that makes the difference lol)....but it's certainly not the magic bullet you're making it out to be.

I would agree with that. IF isn't a magic bullet but I definitely see some value in it. Even Dr. Berardi indicates there's still value in methods such as eating multiple meals 6 times a day, something more traditional. I've only been trying IF for two weeks now so I don't have a ton of input yet. I have been able to break a small plateau that I hit. I don't seem to be losing scale weight as fast but my body composition does seem to be changing if that makes any sense. In two more weeks I'm going to take another BF test and see how it goes. The other plus to all this is that I'm still maintaining and improving my strength. I was really worried about waking up hungry and hitting the gym, especially on ME days but that worry has been unfounded.

Oh I agree completely. I've been IF'ing a pretty decent amount of time total...and I do believe there are benefits outside of calories in/out as far as IF and fat loss goes. They may be small...but I believe they are there. I believe the same for strength training.

I do both to stack the deck in my favor.

It seems to be working nicely.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Oh I agree completely. I've been IF'ing a pretty decent amount of time total...and I do believe there are benefits outside of calories in/out as far as IF and fat loss goes. They may be small...but I believe they are there. I believe the same for strength training.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy right now and I'm just gonna ride this wave while it lasts. I thought that I might have to drop down to 190 to get close to 6% bodyfat but if I can get there sitting at 200lbs **** it, less work I'll have to do during the bulk. LOL

I'm kind of digging the eating 3 huge meals a day type thing. I have another six-hours where I don't need to friggin' worry about eating and if I do feel hungry I might pop-back a BCAA drink and call it a night. The first meal of the day cracks me up every morning I have to make it. Meal one is pretty typical for me now and I have to use one big plate and two small plates, it's rather ridiculous actually. I

Meal 1 - 12 ounces of Boneless Chicken Breasts, 200 grams of Sweet Potatoes, 2 slices of Ezekiel Bread, 1 serving of Almond Butter. 1,025 calories / 98grams of protein, 84grams of carbs, and 33 grams of fat. LOL!

The only problem I run into is when somebody wants to do Happy Hour. Yes, yes, shouldn't drink anyway, yes I know. But let's be realistic here... What about hard liquor (vodka, bourbon) does that affect blood sugar? Technically there's no carbs or calories in it right? If I toss back a couple of those it shouldn't be the end of the world, huh?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    @JNick- alcohol itself has 7cal/g , it's the "other" macronutrient (like pork is the other white meat)
  • JNick77
    Options
    @JNick- alcohol itself has 7cal/g , it's the "other" macronutrient (like pork is the other white meat)

Right, but do you know how it affects blood sugar? I'm distracted by work and trying to follow this thread to go look for myself. ;) LMAO. Even BCAA's actually have caloric value to them but because they don't affect blood sugar they're often ignored and even commonly marked as 0 on nutrition labels.
  • billyh333
    Options
    You guys are right the man is the man and no matter what you do or how good you do it there is haters and just people jelous of other people plain and simple some people suck and i am not really talking about this if thing just in general
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Yeah, it's pretty crazy right now and I'm just gonna ride this wave while it lasts. I thought that I might have to drop down to 190 to get close to 6% bodyfat but if I can get there sitting at 200lbs **** it, less work I'll have to do during the bulk. LOL

I'm kind of digging the eating 3 huge meals a day type thing. I have another six-hours where I don't need to friggin' worry about eating and if I do feel hungry I might pop-back a BCAA drink and call it a night. The first meal of the day cracks me up every morning I have to make it. Meal one is pretty typical for me now and I have to use one big plate and two small plates, it's rather ridiculous actually. I

Meal 1 - 12 ounces of Boneless Chicken Breasts, 200 grams of Sweet Potatoes, 2 slices of Ezekiel Bread, 1 serving of Almond Butter. 1,025 calories / 98grams of protein, 84grams of carbs, and 33 grams of fat. LOL!

The only problem I run into is when somebody wants to do Happy Hour. Yes, yes, shouldn't drink anyway, yes I know. But let's be realistic here... What about hard liquor (vodka, bourbon) does that affect blood sugar? Technically there's no carbs or calories in it right? If I toss back a couple of those it shouldn't be the end of the world, huh?

LOL here dude... =p.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • billyh333
    Options
    Thanks
  • JNick77
    Options

LOL here dude... =p.

Damn, how did I miss that article? Thanks Chris.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

LOL here dude... =p.

Damn, how did I miss that article? Thanks Chris.

You probably missed the article because that site is a train wreck of disorganization and chaos lol. Dunno what a lot of us would have done without it though...it's helped a crapload of people.

And you're welcome!