pregnant smokers

Options

Replies

• mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I think it is not the right thing to do (smoking while pregnant that is) but it is mostly a free world and we can not impose our will on others, even when we feel that they are wrong and we are right.

If she is smoking in a non smoking area then that`s all you have to go on.

None of us are perfect and I am sure others find faults in what we do, but we wouldn`t want them to necessarily tell us about them?
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with smoking while pregnant. But, I would not feel the need to say anything. She knows it is not healthy for her baby to be smoking while pregnant. This obviously doesn't stop her. Even if you did talk to her, she would not stop. She would probably just be angry. Personally, I don't think it would be my business to say anything.?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I dunno.
    I'm not a fan of the "not in my backyard" approach. In my opinion, I feel that is what is wrong with society today. Too many people minded their own business.

flame away.

Being overweight is harmful to your health. Should we "flame away" and yell out the window "HEY FATTY" at all the overweight people?

Where is this invisible line we're drawing??
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Her body. Her baby. Her business.

Really? What say does the baby get?

None, unfortunately.

^Agreed. You can't do anything about the woman, let her be, mind your own business.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Le sigh.

Kind of like an obese mother feeding CRAP food to her obese children.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    There are some doctors that recommend heavy smokers that are pregnant NOT quit, especially if it is a high-risk pregnancy. The effects of nicotine withdrawal could be too much for the fetus to handle and she could lose the baby.

Just something to think about.

I've heard this same thing, that a woman misscarried some 3-4 times as a result from the stress and withdrawls of trying to quit smoking.
    Finally, she just scaled it back a bit when she got pregnant again, and carried a healthy baby to term.
    I also have a close friend who smoked through her whole pregnancy with her 3rd child while her husband was deployed. I had the pleasure of watching her perfectly healthy baby when she was about 5wks old.

I've known several people who smoked their entire pregnancies and had perfectly healthy babies.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    How pissed off would you be if you found your mother was a smoker and you ended up with lung problems? Very. Effing. Pissed.

True, but the baby would have to take that up with her mother. Unfortunately, it's not illegal. As a bartender, if I have a pregnant customer, I have to serve her otherwise the bar could be sued for discrimination. Again, it's not illegal. And I'm not talking about the occasional glass of wine either!

My sister smoked with all four of her pregnancies. Did I approve? Hell no. But it wasn't my business to slap the things out of her hand either. She knew it was wrong, she did try to quit and managed to cut back at least during that time. But again, until they make it illegal, then NO, it's not your place to say anything, nor would it do any good.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It wasn't that many years ago that doctors recommended pregnant women smoke so that they kept their weight gain minimal. :indifferent:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

maybe we should apply this way of thinking to all things that can harm a child.... because her smoking can be harmful to her unborn child and later in life the second hand smoke can also cause that child serious issues... but it's her baby... next time someone leaves their small child in a hot car while they go inside, maybe we should all just say "oh well, it's her kid, it's her business"

I really hope they make smoking illegal someday. People who smoke... you do realize that the thing that "calms you down" when you are stressed ("omg, i really need a cig. right now") is the same thing that is causing u to get that stressed out about it in the first place?? I never HAVE to have something in order to cope with any situation in life, there is nothing that has such control over me that it's the only thing that will calm me down. It's just as bad as any other addiction

If children are left in a hot car, you can remove them or call the police. While a fetus is inside another human being, you can't do anything.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    My dad smoked the entire time he was pregnant with me and I turned out fine.

Seriously? I don't agree with it but it's no one's choice except the mother.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I don't usually comment on forums but I just saw your replies...I have a friend (loosely speaking) that smoked during her last two pregnancies. Bother children are deaf as a result. Yes it was her business to quit but how do you think she now feels knowing that her smoking took away her child's hearing?

Just saying.

Sounds like her children should be taken away from her since she did it TWICE. once is bad enough.. but to harm your first child and then do it again. I swear to god some people should be sterilized.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    this. Mind your own business
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

Really? What say does the baby get?

None, unfortunately.

In all technicality what say does anyone get in ALL the ways our parents choose to raise us or things they have us around. None. No one gets a choice. Sad sometimes, but true.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    this is a non smoking facility and that means the parking lot too.

Unfortunately, the laws usually state that it only means smokers have to be 50' from a building entrance which does not include the parking lot.

Sorry, but most states ( we are in MO) are passing laws that Healthcare facilities are to be non smoking, including the parking lot!

Is this a health care facility?
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    How pissed off would you be if you found your mother was a smoker and you ended up with lung problems? Very. Effing. Pissed.

My mother smoked when she was pregnant with me (in 1968), and I have had allergies and asthma my entire life. Many times she was unable to take me to the ER in the middle of the night during an asthma attack because my father worked 3rd shift and they only had 1 car.

She carries enormous guilt because of it, but back then there wasn't the knowledge or stigma associated with smoking, especially when pregnant.

That said, I still probably wouldn't say anything to the girl unless I knew her well enough to discuss medical topics with her.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I didn't think women still did that
  • heidimelone
    heidimelone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As a smoker, and a mother of 2 perfectly healthy girls.....both over 8 lbs at birth.....I would advise you to mind your own business. Not only is it none of your business....but you may be surprised when the hormonal pregnant woman in the throes of a nicotine fit...might actually turn around and kick YOUR *kitten*......just sayin.....mind your business....get back to work....
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options

I don't usually comment on forums but I just saw your replies...I have a friend (loosely speaking) that smoked during her last two pregnancies. Bother children are deaf as a result. Yes it was her business to quit but how do you think she now feels knowing that her smoking took away her child's hearing?

Just saying.

Sounds like her children should be taken away from her since she did it TWICE. once is bad enough.. but to harm your first child and then do it again. I swear to god some people should be sterilized.

I dont agree with smoking while pregnant tho my mom did with me. Taking her children away is a bit rash and Im not quite sure .... can the deafness be directly linked to their deafness? I tend to stay in the mind set of I have my opinion I didn't smoke while pregnant but I don't stick my nose into others lives. /shrugs
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You can't change anyone... however I know a few pregnant smokers, and I seriously want to slap them. And I'm normally a nice gal! Stupid kids!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    My friend is heavily pregnant and smoking. she does feel terrible about it and has cut back but hasn't managed to stop. I hate that she Is doing it though! x