Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America?

Options

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Women have always 'ran' the relationship, the good ones just know how to make a man think he does.. hahah

lol... this x
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is. Manliness is getting more rare.

^^^ Agreed!

Yup....I want a man that can hunt, fish, fix things--be outdoors---No skinny jeans, vampires, Mani/pedi, can't get dirty type of males that seem to be running around these days.
  • charlybu
    charlybu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This thread, itself, is an illustration of the problem. Seriously girls, bullying men does not make you a real woman. I have a hard time believing any of you are as happy with yourselves as you claim, seeing how you have to attack men to make you feel better about yourselves. You girls crack me up! Lol!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is. Manliness is getting more rare.

^^^ Agreed!

Totally agreed! Some women still want REAL men! :)

I have a REAL man who likes Papillons, talks about his feelings, and was willing to paint our bedroom purple. No these things are not masculine by society's standards, but that doesn't make him any less of a man.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This thread, itself, is an illustration of the problem. Seriously girls, bullying men does not make you a real woman. I have a hard time believing any of you are as happy with yourselves as you claim, seeing how you have to attack men to make you feel better about yourselves. You girls crack me up! Lol!

I just skimmed thru the whole thread and I did not see any men being bullied by woman. The only person who's post was contradicted several times was yours and it was due to your definition of appropriate behavior for women.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    A real woman embraces her femininity. A real woman wears dresses, makeup, and pretty shoes when appropriate ( to do otherwise is not "self expression" it is disrespect).

Disrespectful to whom exactly? If you're offended by my wardrobe, don't look at me. It's as simple as that.
  • tiffygrl12
    Options
    No. I think that what society sees as masculine is becoming more represented in women (ditto for femininity and men) because people are more open to changing gender roles. People are more free to do what feels comfortable to them and not what is comfortable for other people.
    I agree with the quote at the bottom the most.
    In modern terms it's hard to define masculinity other than doing what most men do-if you define it by courage, strength and things like that, then a woman is being masculine by being brave- in my opinion. I think masculine/feminine are really unneeded categorizations.
    On a closing note I really can't believe all the people talking about what makes someone a 'real man'. If you call yourself a man, you are a man. End of story. Whether you're a jerk, or coward is a different matter entirely. Someone on here said what a real woman is and some people got upset as to be expected. Why doesn't the same thing happen with men? Why is it ok for people to refuse to recognize an important part of another's identity if they don't fit into their mold?
    Honestly: what does masculinity even mean?

Hey, I know. Let's take all the qualities humans have ever had: personality, strengths, weaknessess, everything. THEN let's split all that into two groups, let's call it human-1 and human-2. Then all we have to do is make sure everybody only chooses from one group.

You want to deadlift 2x your weight AND wear lipstick? NO.
    You want a chihuahua AND an automatic weapon? NO.
    Maybe talk about your feelings with your partner while you're playing Team Fortress 2? DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

This is great fun for the whole human race.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    The definition of manliness may have changed a bit but at this point, I'm good as long as the guy isn't a complete *kitten*. Luckily, my bf isn't a *kitten*. :D

Also, my man wants a Shih Tsu or a Maltese. I still think he's very manly. :wink:
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've read every post in this thread and not one single woman has done anything remotely like bullying a man. Some women have said that there is no masculinity crisis and others have expressed their preference for the traditional "manly man." Hardly anyone has even addressed a man, let alone bullied anyone. People have disagreed with you for your definition of "real woman" but that has nothing to do with what you're complaining about here.
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options

I just skimmed thru the whole thread and I did not see any men being bullied by woman. The only person who's post was contradicted several times was yours and it was due to your definition of appropriate behavior for women.

Wasn't her definition of appropriate behavior for women pretty much in line with what many women do to catch a man? Women do tend to dress up, wear make-up, etc. and then let themselves go once they get the man they want. Lots of bait and switch advertising going on out there.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    A lot of posts on this thread are macho bull****.

Real men should not be 'dominated' (neither should women)
    Real men should not hand over the reigns of power or responsibility (neither should women)
    Real men should not stay in unhappy situations out of fear of lonliness (neither should women)

BUT real men ARE occassionally sad, stressed, depressed, unable to cope. Real men DO occassionally need help.

The guys who constantly go around saying 'man up' need to get a grip. They are not 'real' men either. It's all macho bull**** said because they think it impresses someone... and it does... a few fall for it. But be careful.... 'real men' can be liars too.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Um.....I don't see a lack in masculinity anywhere.....so no.
  • xannonz
    xannonz Posts: 40
    Options
    HELL YES! Starts with all of the men being built like women now. Seems like they are all built so fragile now. A guys shoulders should never be wider than his girls!

Give me some one that can protect me with out screaming and running away cause he is a sissy!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Wasn't her definition of appropriate behavior for women pretty much in line with what many women do to catch a man? Women do tend to dress up, wear make-up, etc. and then let themselves go once they get the man they want. Lots of bait and switch advertising going on out there.
    Another terrifying misconception.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is a real man crisis in America. This comes from women who complain about the lack of attention and responsibility from men.

However, I believe there are still lots of real men out there.
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Women's lib created the masculinity crisis. Without women submitting to the role of men in the relationship, men find it hard to function the way they are designed to function. I would point out though that it's not the color of a man's shirt or the size of his dog that determines whether or not he is a man.
  • pen_thief
    pen_thief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Honestly: Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America? Are more men allowing women to dominate relationships?

Yes to the first question. I do see a lot of men being "scared of" their wives/girlfriends. It seems ridiculous to me that some women control what their partners wear, what they eat and how much personal time they're allowed. It's like some men let women try and mold them into the guy that she wants, but that has to come with some resentment I'd think.

Don't even get me started on the guys who wear girl pants and have more beauty products than a female. I don't know who made that a thing, but hopefully it will just go away (forever) soon.
  • cherryberry2x4
    Options
    Well personally, there's this whole metro-sexual thing going around now with men in my area where they're more feminine than the women. They dress in tight bright colors, get their nails and brows done, and just...idk. Aren't very manly! What happened to the men that enjoyed getting sweaty, wearing the same shirt days in a row because, hey, it smells ok, picking up their women just because they can? -sigh- That's just my opinion though.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've read every post in this thread and not one single woman has done anything remotely like bullying a man. Some women have said that there is no masculinity crisis and others have expressed their preference for the traditional "manly man." Hardly anyone has even addressed a man, let alone bullied anyone. People have disagreed with you for your definition of "real woman" but that has nothing to do with what you're complaining about here.

Going through this thread there is post after post saying, "A real man does..." " A real man should..." "A real man shouldn't" from both genders.

She one post stating "A woman should....." and she's wearing a scarlet letter.
  • Rayand22
    Rayand22 Posts: 18
    Options
    I notice that the original poster, calvert6183, has deactivated his (or her) account and deleted all but the original question. I'd say just a sock-puppet stirring the pot, if the account weren't opened in October 2011.

Bizarre. I guess he wasn't man enough to stick around and defend his opinions!

It does get old being on here at times with how people attack each other. People on here are only tolerate if their opinions are the same as theirs and plus he met his weight goals a long time ago. I am not sure why i am on here now either. Some peeps get on my nerves. People are allowed free speech even if its not what you agree with. I do agree with this topic. Its hard to find a old fashion man these days and there are many women on this thread who agree with the OP.. Im sorry but it is weird that men today shave all of their body hair and have better skin that women. There is nothing wrong with me not being attracted to men who wear women's clothes and act like women. There is a double standard on this thread, women on here are mad and bashing others who say they too do not like girly men but guess what? I bet you do not like fat, homeless, poor, or short men so you do not have a right to say anything. There are some people who do not get why this is so trendy and there is nothing wrong with that. I think there is many women on here that are insecure and unhappy.