Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America?

Options

Replies

• freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I like men that can move my furniture.

I like men who don't immediately assume I need their help when I'm moving my furniture around on my own. If I need help, I'll ask for it, thanks.

(I deal with this weekly at work, when I pick up something. I work IT and inevitably I pass a guy's office who jumps up, "DO YOU WANT ME TO CARRY THAT HEAVY LOOKING OBJECT???" No. It's my job. I'm not even sweating. Sit down.)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I notice that the original poster, calvert6183, has deactivated his (or her) account and deleted all but the original question. I'd say just a sock-puppet stirring the pot, if the account weren't opened in October 2011.

Bizarre. I guess he wasn't man enough to stick around and defend his opinions!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I notice that the original poster, calvert6183, has deactivated his (or her) account and deleted all but the original question. I'd say just a sock-puppet stirring the pot, if the account weren't opened in October 2011.

Bizarre. I guess he wasn't man enough to stick around and defend his opinions!

well crap, how am I supposed to define myself now?
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    A real woman embraces her femininity. A real woman wears dresses, makeup, and pretty shoes when appropriate ( to do otherwise is not "self expression" it is disrespect).
    Who exactly is disrespected by someone not wearing "dresses and pretty shoes?"

Yeah, that's a pretty frightening post in general. But the "real woman" stuff is even more disturbing.
    I'm wearing pants, no make up... and I look like a real woman to me.
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes there is a crisis, but it has nothing to do with pink shirts, fruity drinks, or men being domineering. People equate being a manly man with being a womanizer or a wife beater now days and it's just not true.

A real man does what's right no matter what it costs him. A real man stands up for those who are weaker than him. A real man provides for his family. A real man loves sacrificially. A real man is not afraid of things that may be considered "girly", but neither is he obsessed with being "girly". A real man loves ONE woman, he does NOT "spread his seed". A real man treats his woman like a queen. A real man takes the lead in the relationship, but never dominates or abuses.

There is also a crisis of women acting too masculine.

A real woman does not bully her man or manipulate him. A real woman embraces her femininity. A real woman wears dresses, makeup, and pretty shoes when appropriate ( to do otherwise is not "self expression" it is disrespect). A real woman is not afraid to let her man take care of her the way he should. A real woman doesn't sleep around and try men on for size. A real woman is modest. A real woman treats men with respect. A real woman is not a door mat, she does not let everyone walk all over her, but neither does she walk over others.
    There you go! You nailed it. That the real men & women you described above are becoming more rare is the real masculinity/femininity crisis. Also, people being too willing to become dependent on others to support them as a lifestyle choice rather than taking care of themselves and their families. There's nothing wrong in needing or asking for help, but it should never be a lifestyle choice.
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Yes there is a crisis, but it has nothing to do with pink shirts, fruity drinks, or men being domineering. People equate being a manly man with being a womanizer or a wife beater now days and it's just not true.

A real man does what's right no matter what it costs him. A real man stands up for those who are weaker than him. A real man provides for his family. A real man loves sacrificially. A real man is not afraid of things that may be considered "girly", but neither is he obsessed with being "girly". A real man loves ONE woman, he does NOT "spread his seed". A real man treats his woman like a queen. A real man takes the lead in the relationship, but never dominates or abuses.

There is also a crisis of women acting too masculine.

A real woman does not bully her man or manipulate him. A real woman embraces her femininity. A real woman wears dresses, makeup, and pretty shoes when appropriate ( to do otherwise is not "self expression" it is disrespect). A real woman is not afraid to let her man take care of her the way he should. A real woman doesn't sleep around and try men on for size. A real woman is modest. A real woman treats men with respect. A real woman is not a door mat, she does not let everyone walk all over her, but neither does she walk over others.

This is mostly what I was thinking but you have said it a bit better than I was contemplating. Little thing happened a while back that the original post brought to mind. Large public gathering with many families, kids included. Then one real dipstick got bent out of shape and started cussing and swearing. He was loud and dropping f-bombs. All the "men" sitting there with their wives and small children being subjected to that display was evidence that too many men have given up the right to think of themselves as such. It was a little, old woman who finally stood up and told the creep to pipe down. The "men" just sat there and were -- excuse the word -- impotent.

I think that's what the original post was referring to. A bunch of wooses have been created by our society that denegrates men from Prozac in grade school for any boy that dares to act like a boy to commercials and TV shows that always make the man out to be the poor sap who can't do anything right. Good for any man who stands up for his masculine self.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I know this detoured to someplace a bit serious...time to lighten things up.

To answer the original question posed, YES:

Untitled.jpg
    Happy Monday! :flowerforyou:
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    A real woman embraces her femininity. A real woman wears dresses, makeup, and pretty shoes when appropriate ( to do otherwise is not "self expression" it is disrespect).
    Who exactly is disrespected by someone not wearing "dresses and pretty shoes?"

Yeah, that's a pretty frightening post in general. But the "real woman" stuff is even more disturbing.
    I'm wearing pants, no make up... and I look like a real woman to me.

I agree!!! :noway:
  • MrDangerSass
    Options
    Yes, and my wife said I could say so.
  • fgodfrey56
    fgodfrey56 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A real man wouldn't worry about such trivial questions. He would be taking care of business, doing whatever is needed to take care of his family including dropping the ego-related non-issues.
  • Alzzak
    Alzzak Posts: 89 Member
    Options

My idea of real women must be shot then, cause my idea of a real woman... is one who is a partner... not a slave, or a master.... to her spouse. Who's voice is listened to and the two work out common ground. Who looks beautiful to her spouse in t-shirt and jeans, no make up, just as much as a dress, makeup and pretty shoes.

If her spouse doesn't think so, then her spouse is flawed not her.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    A real man wouldn't worry about such trivial questions. He would be taking care of business, doing whatever is needed to take care of his family including dropping the ego-related non-issues.
    Great post.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

My idea of real women must be shot then, cause my idea of a real woman... is one who is a partner... not a slave, or a master.... to her spouse. Who's voice is listened to and the two work out common ground. Who looks beautiful to her spouse in t-shirt and jeans, no make up, just as much as a dress, makeup and pretty shoes.

If her spouse doesn't think so, then her spouse is flawed not her.

:flowerforyou:
  • Shrinking_Stacey
    Options
    B!tch make me a sandwich! LOL
  • mownt
    mownt Posts: 9
    Options
    Is there a masculinity crisis?

"Three men shot while shielding their girlfriends during Aurora, Colorado shooting"

I would say NO there is not.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    The late George Carlin used to call it the "Pussification of the American male.":laugh:

http://youtu.be/sSrzwB1DVFs
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Women have for generations.
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Untitled.jpg
    Happy Monday! :flowerforyou:

Applause!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options

Untitled.jpg

Three cheers and a round of applause!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Neither person should "dominate" the relationship. It's not masculine for a man to dominate his partner. It's not a matter of manliness; it's a matter of mutual respect. Someone who insists on having their way no matter what their partner wants and being unquestioned in the process is someone who's not mature enough to handle a healthy relationship, regardless of their sex.

^^^This is great!