Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    Thanks Sara! I'll be posting them here on MFP once I've got them. It was a comp for people who go to our gym franchise here. I think there were about 14 people competing, most for weight loss, but there were two for toning. My PT has her work cut out for her to pick a winner :bigsmile:

Oh I should add the rest of the bench session:

12 rep @ 20kg (44 pound)
    8 rep @ 30kg (66 pound)
    5 rep @ 40kg (88 pound)
    2 rep @ 50kg (110 pound)
    2 rep @ 55kg (121 pound)
    1 rep @ 60kg (132 pound)
    1/2 rep at 65kg! (143 pound) :bigsmile:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sara! I'll be posting them here on MFP once I've got them. It was a comp for people who go to our gym franchise here. I think there were about 14 people competing, most for weight loss, but there were two for toning. My PT has her work cut out for her to pick a winner :bigsmile:

Oh I should add the rest of the bench session:

12 rep @ 20kg (44 pound)
    8 rep @ 30kg (66 pound)
    5 rep @ 40kg (88 pound)
    2 rep @ 50kg (110 pound)
    2 rep @ 55kg (121 pound)
    1 rep @ 60kg (132 pound)
    1/2 rep at 65kg! (143 pound) :bigsmile:

Nice! Work on those tri's to get that extra half-a-rep. :)
  • swfloridagal
    Options
    I have a disease that is attacking my muscles and joints. I'm fighting back but am just starting.

I don't have weights. I'm starting by lifing my own body weight. I'm hoping somebody can help me make up a program to start with. Can anybody help? I want to start with things like this:

push ups against the wall (I can't do one on the floor!)
    squats
    plank and hold

Or something along those lines. Anybody willing to help me set up my program to start and then guide me as I work towards in increasing reps? I just bought a stationary Schwin Airdyne bike with arm workout feature.

Please write back floridajan@gmail.com if you are willing to help?

Thanks!
    Janice in FL
  • Lynxie83
    Options
    Thanks Nick, I'm working with my PT on this, she's seen how much I'm interested in the weights side of things and it'll become a staple of our weekly sessions now :bigsmile:

@floridagal, if you would like to send me a friend request you could have a squizz at my exercise diary. I do quite a lot of body weight work with my PT (until recently with this 10 wk challenge) so you could get some ideas from there.

Some of these other guys would probably be better to help with other things! Happy exercising!:bigsmile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    @swfloridagal. Sorry to hear about your medical issues. I cannot quote your post as I am not at my PC but check out this link and specifically @Morebean13's advice (sorry Bean for pimping you out here).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/702694-weight-training-at-home-advice
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    @swfloridagal. Sorry to hear about your medical issues. I cannot quote your post as I am not at my PC but check out this link and specifically @Morebean13's advice (sorry Bean for pimping you out here).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/702694-weight-training-at-home-advice

Could as well buy a Kettleball and do the exercises that come in the book with it. They arent expensive at all... And Kettleballs have some really good exercises to help you along
  • JNick77
    Options
    I have a disease that is attacking my muscles and joints. I'm fighting back but am just starting.

I don't have weights. I'm starting by lifing my own body weight. I'm hoping somebody can help me make up a program to start with. Can anybody help? I want to start with things like this:

push ups against the wall (I can't do one on the floor!)
    squats
    plank and hold

Or something along those lines. Anybody willing to help me set up my program to start and then guide me as I work towards in increasing reps? I just bought a stationary Schwin Airdyne bike with arm workout feature.

Please write back floridajan@gmail.com if you are willing to help?

Thanks!
    Janice in FL

Sorry to hear about your situation. Get yourself a chin-up bar and start working with that too, even if you can only do partials that's good too. Checkout this link, http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30#velocity-training/training-program

If you go to the Velocity Training tab, select the Training Program tab, and click on Sat/Sun. The Sat/Sun option is all body-weight movements. It's very challenging but you might be able to modify them a little to suit your situation.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    New CF Total*: 650

Deadlift: 300
    Back Squat: 225
    Strict Shoulder Press: 125

Four attempts with each lift to find a 1RM in 10 minutes per lift. If you fail, lift does not count and you go back to the last made weight.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Squat day today, and I felt good doing them (stopped at a smooth 2x 500 lbs), but my back's still not up to do much more, so I figured I'd tire my legs out on the incline leg press sled.

We kept throwing on the weight and pushing until we couldn't push any more.

Long story short, I have met the mountain, and I have moved it! Ended out at 5 reps of 1090 lbs (22 plates and the 100 lb sled). I haven't even touched the sled in a few years, much less gone that high (the one at Planet Fitness couldn't go higher than 720 or so). I am tired, and my legs will be jelly in the morning, but I am proud.
  • Lynxie83
    Options
    Squat day today, and I felt good doing them (stopped at a smooth 2x 500 lbs), but my back's still not up to do much more, so I figured I'd tire my legs out on the incline leg press sled.

We kept throwing on the weight and pushing until we couldn't push any more.

Long story short, I have met the mountain, and I have moved it! Ended out at 5 reps of 1090 lbs (22 plates and the 100 lb sled). I haven't even touched the sled in a few years, much less gone that high (the one at Planet Fitness couldn't go higher than 720 or so). I am tired, and my legs will be jelly in the morning, but I am proud.

Woah! :smokin:
  • KiltFuPanda
    Options
    And because some people may think I'm lying (hell, I wouldn't believe me)...

Here's the mountain:

IMG_2198.jpg

If I had presence of mind, I would have taken video.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    And because some people may think I'm lying (hell, I wouldn't believe me)...

Here's the mountain:

IMG_2198.jpg

If I had presence of mind, I would have taken video.
    Outstanding! That's a pile of weight right there.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love seeing the ladies lifting so heavy! It's very encouraging!
    It's nothing to brag about as I am just really starting to progress with weights and still learning but so far I'm doing:

200 lb leg press 3 sets 6 reps
    65 lb chest press 2 sets 6 reps
    85 lb deadlifts 2 sets 6 reps
    115 lb squats 3 sets 6 reps
  • JNick77
    Options
    It's nothing to brag about as I am just really starting to progress with weights and still learning but so far I'm doing:

There we go, nice job!
  • KiltFuPanda
    Options

Keep at it - it doesn't matter how much you lift, it just matters that you're lifting well! You can keep chasing those bigger numbers, but without learning form and the basics, you're just asking for damage.

I don't post my numbers to brag over other people - I'm still just a big squishy guy, and so many people are better toned and look a lot better in the mirror than me. I post my numbers to compete with my only opponent: me. If I keep my numbers public, it just pushes me to go that much harder next time.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Keep at it - it doesn't matter how much you lift, it just matters that you're lifting well! You can keep chasing those bigger numbers, but without learning form and the basics, you're just asking for damage.

I don't post my numbers to brag over other people - I'm still just a big squishy guy, and so many people are better toned and look a lot better in the mirror than me. I post my numbers to compete with my only opponent: me. If I keep my numbers public, it just pushes me to go that much harder next time.
    Very well put.

Everyone has different goals and different starting points. Comparing yourself to other people doesn't get you to those goals any faster. I have to keep reminding myself of that too. I'm a pretty big guy who twenty years ago was lifting easily twice what I lift now. Until recently I hadn't lifted in well over 15 years and hadn't been doing anything to keep myself strong so it's very hard for me not to compare what I'm doing now with what I could do when I was 20. I also have different goals now than I did at 20.

The important thing is to keep moving that weight - regardless of how much it is.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I added weight to my chins, dips and squats today- not ready to call them PRs 'till I hit full reps/sets on them.

But- there were 2 guys squatting at the same time as me today- and I was outlifting both of them. I know it's not nice to compare yourself with others, but as a female when you can lift with the guys, it feels pretty bada$$!! I got nods of approval.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I added weight to my chins, dips and squats today- not ready to call them PRs 'till I hit full reps/sets on them.

But- there were 2 guys squatting at the same time as me today- and I was outlifting both of them. I know it's not nice to compare yourself with others, but as a female when you can lift with the guys, it feels pretty bada$$!! I got nods of approval.

You go girl! You get nods of approval from me to!
  • JNick77
    Options

That's awesome!
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Awesome Bean!!!