pregnant smokers

Options

Replies

• liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    When I was pregnant, my doctor told me not to quit cold turkey because the added stress could trigger a miscarriage. I weened myself off cigarettes about a week after I found out I was pregnant.

When I was pregnant and quitting, it was so simple. Quitting while not pregnant was a whole other story.

Yes, I see a lot of posts on here who say the dr. told them not to quit cold turkey. That makes sense. But I take that to mean cutting back until you eventually stop. Not just scaling down to 10 a day for the duration of your pregnancy. I imagine there is an understanding that the goal is to eliminate cigarettes altogether.
  • deads99
    deads99 Posts: 77
    Options
    you should smack her in the back of the head and embarrass her in front of everyone

Her baby will thank you later on!!!!
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    while it's not ideal...it is their right.

end of story.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    smack her... or infact.. help her.. kick her in the stomach?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Found where are all the babycenter.com psychos are arguing....

RUN AWAY from that place! Nutjobs everywhere there.
  • jpipes17
    jpipes17 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Her body. Her baby. Her business.

I don't usually comment on forums but I just saw your replies...I have a friend (loosely speaking) that smoked during her last two pregnancies. Bother children are deaf as a result. Yes it was her business to quit but how do you think she now feels knowing that her smoking took away her child's hearing?

Just saying.

If she felt that bad after the 1st she wouldn't have smoked with the 2nd. Just sayin!
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is just fat.
    Unless her fat is shaped into beach ball roundness and only in her abdomen.....I'd say she's prego!

Im not saying your wrong, but all of my fat is rounded in my belly, I am commonly mistaken as pregnant. I even showed a recent picture to a friend, who knows Im not, and she asked if it was from when I was pregnant with my son. Just saying.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    you should smack her in the back of the head and embarrass her in front of everyone

Her baby will thank you later on!!!!

my mom smoked with both my brother and I...as in...she'd fall asleep with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth...(classy I know) and we lived relatively healthy --- I can count on half a hand how many times I've ever been on antibiotics in my life...twice maybe? my brother is a marathoner, hockey player, volleyball player, racquetball, weight lifter etc etc...and I'm in great health.

I don't really thank or hate my mother for her decisions while I was in-utero. my point. you'll love your mother regardless, because kids are warped like that.

So, not every baby comes out screaming like they've spent 9 months in a smokey bar. ;)
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    buy a pack of e-cigs and donate them to her?
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    this is a non smoking facility and that means the parking lot too.

Unfortunately, the laws usually state that it only means smokers have to be 50' from a building entrance which does not include the parking lot.

Sorry, but most states ( we are in MO) are passing laws that Healthcare facilities are to be non smoking, including the parking lot!

Agreed. All of the medical facitlities I've seen in MD have signs stating "THIS IS A NON-SMOKING CAMPUS" or something to that effect, which clearly includes the parking lot.

Edited to add: Perhaps you should say something to management (yours, building, HR, or whoever can do something about it). If you don't want to say something directly to someone, you can always call the building manager anonymously and complain. All someone needs to do is walk by with an oxygen tank and have one of those burning cigaertte ashes floating through the air.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    no comment

LIAR
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm not reading through 13 pages of people bantering like children, but I will add my opinion.

My guess is she knows it's bad, but is too selfish to quit. The sad reality is most young people (you mentioned she was more than likely under 20) are not as attached to child they are carrying, and more often than not, the pregnancy was a "surprise" As you grow older and more mature, you add more value to the human life growing inside of your stomach.

Should you choose to approach her, you can do it in more of a sisterly way versus a snitchy coworker. Talk to her, listen to her. Not look down on her. If you don't like confrontation, you could always just choose to go to your superior and "pass the baton" and let them handle the situation.You are more than likely not the only one to notice her behavior, and my guess is a lot of people feel the same way as you and also do not know the best way to handle the situation.

Best of luck.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, my doctor told me not to quit cold turkey because the added stress could trigger a miscarriage. I weened myself off cigarettes about a week after I found out I was pregnant.

When I was pregnant and quitting, it was so simple. Quitting while not pregnant was a whole other story.

Yes, I see a lot of posts on here who say the dr. told them not to quit cold turkey. That makes sense. But I take that to mean cutting back until you eventually stop. Not just scaling down to 10 a day for the duration of your pregnancy. I imagine there is an understanding that the goal is to eliminate cigarettes altogether.

I agree completely. To think otherwise would be naive.

I think the whole "my doctor told me not to quit" was started by someone who smoked during pregnancy to make themselves look less selfish.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    There was a girl in my apartment building that smoked during her whole pregnancy too. Sometimes it bugged me, but I have never been pregnant nor do I really know anything about pregnancy nor do I want to get pregnant in the least, so I don't really feel like it's my place to judge. It's her body. Of course, there is the issue that it's her baby's body too. But if it's not my problem, I'm not going to worry about it, and as an occasional smoker I get pissed about people that constantly ***** about others smoking. If it's not your freaking problem, don't worry about it!!!!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Her body. Her baby. Her business.

guess if she had a needle hanging out of her arm that would be ok too....crazy feminist bulls**t

How is that feminist? It's a matter of mind your own business. It has nothing to do with feminism and everything to do with not meddling in other people lives and letting them make their own decisions, even if their decisions are stupid. They have to live with the consequences, not you.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Also, I would like to add... UK and US practices are different. (From what I was told from the Dr. I don't know... never lived in the UK)
    When I had my last child, I specifically asked for patches to help me quit smoking while pregnant.. and was told, that the UK will give patches, US medicine will not allow it. The risks of the patches hasn't been studied enough and is considered a greater risk than the risk of what smoking does to a fetus.. so our country does not do that.
    Again, I do not know the science and medicine behind it..... just saying what I experienced.

Right, I don't smoke, but from what I've read that is because smoke does not cross the fetus. So the dangers of smoking while pregnant come solely from the nicotine. The patch is a more pure and direct form of nicotine than smoking, so it's not approved for pregnant women.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    If you decide to carry a pregnancy to full term, you need to understand sacrifices that need to be made in order to carry that baby to full term. This means absolutely no more smoking (among other things you should no longer do).

To the person who said 'some doctors will advise women not to quit smoking because of nicotine withdraw'... Well that doctor is a moron. Although in some high risk pregnancies it would be risky giving up nicotine cold turkey, no mentally sound doctor will suggest depleting your blood O2 levels by inhaling any sort of smoke! They might suggest something like a nicotine patch to slowly wean yourself off nicotine completely, but no doctor is going to give the go ahead to continue smoking throughout pregnancy. No doctor I would trust my babies life with would, anyway.

Edit to say, I never really addressed the OP: I am 36 1/2 weeks pregnant now, and it would still drive me nuts if anyone told me to do or not to do something. Whether we agree with it is one thing, but it is between her, her doctor, and her conscience.

Did you give up all nitrates? Did you check your shampoo bottles for additives? Have you really made every single sacrifice that could potentially harm your baby? Smoking does not automatically result in a harmed baby. I wouldn't do it, but it's a personal choice and stress can cause miscarriage. So, I guess if I had to choose between the stress of quitting which could cause a miscarriage or continue smoking which could harm the baby, it might be a pretty hard choice to make.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    double post...
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    There will always be something to b**** about when it comes to pregnant woman. With both my pregnancies I took anti-depressants, which can cause birth defects. But not wanting to harm or kill myself while pregnant out weighs the possibility of my children being born with defects. I'd love them anyways and take care of them to the best of my ability.

Its 9 f'n months. You are that selfish you cant be strong for 9 months

Oh but its okay, you are willing to deal with the kids handicap. That must be so hard

What about the kids dealing with their handicaps!?

I don't think you understand thing 1 about depression. Depression is not simply a matter of being sad it's an imbalance in the brain and the medication that a person takes for it corrects that imbalance.

With major depression it's not a matter of "being strong." Do you have any idea what it might feel like to want to take your own life? I'm guessing no.

FFS! Learn a little before you think it's okay to pass judgement on others!

Also, do you know how many things out there can possibly cause birth defects/other ill fetal affects?

Here's a small list.
    Bacon, lunch meat, a long list of seafood, cigarettes, alcohol, bean sprouts, soft cheeses, under-cooked meats of any kind, under-cooked eggs (meaning the yolk isn't COMPLETELY hard), many cleaning products, cats, cat litter, and getting a fever. That's not to mention getting your hair dyed, using certain face washes, and the additives in many hair care products.

Unless you completely abstained from everything on that list and a few more other things while you were pregnant, stop passing judgment on a person who's brain is just not wired correctly.

Edit: Quotes messed up.