pregnant smokers

Replies

• pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    haha people get so ridiculous on these. its kind of entertaining when youre not one of the angry, fighting type.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Even if you did tell her that it's a non smoking facility, it would just stop her there. Sadly with smokers, you can lecture, tell them, and go on and on, but they won't stop smoking just because of that. I'm sure she already knows just how terrible it is to smoke while pregnant, or even period, maybe when her child is born and has asthma or chronic bronchitis from her second hand smoke she'll quit for the child's sake... but all you can do sadly is hope.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    It's absolutely none of your business if someone chooses to smoke while pregnant. It is not your child, nor someone you actually know.

So is it none of our business if people choose to hurt children in other ways? Should I not care if somebody gets blind drunk while pregnant, or if a Father abuses his daughter or a Mother her son?

After all, let's let people do whatever they like to their children, and if their children suffer because of it, well it's too bad! It was none of our business and people should do whatever the *kitten* they like. Children clearly don't matter because they belong to the people who created them. They have no rights, no rights to be protected.

I've never been pregnant but my observation is it seems like the society has this idea that pregnant women are public property. I get what you're saying, and I too hate when people smoke while pregnant, but by policing their every move we start a slippery slope on what we can and cannot do to pregnant women 'for the good of the baby.' Are we going to start watching her food? Water intake? Force prenatal vitamins down her throat?

I'm a giant advocate for women's rights and for women's independence about what they can do to their bodies without any input from anyone else, and though it makes me foam at the mouth to watch them do drugs or use cigs or drink alcohol while pregnant, that belief that we have that right encompasses ALL choices women make.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Well, I'm a dirty smoker myself, but the moment I start working towards gracefull spermination I am droping dem cigs like it's hot.
    Once you got a lil baby inside of you ..you are /responsible/ for it's well being. It might be inside of you , it might be a part of you but in few months it will be whole new being.

I hate hate the argument "her body, her decision". Sure, it was her decision to have the baby, to not abort. Now it's time to act on it.
    Baby (nor annimal that you take care for, thus are responsible for it) is not an item to do with as we please.
    It's like saying to a guy that beats his wife bloody daily "cool man, your wife, your decision". NO. Your wife, your responsibility.
    Everything /everyone that we decide to take care of, be it baby, SO, elderly people, annimals, are our responsibility.
    It's our responsibility to do what we can to make them /happy/.
    Quiting smoking is beneficial to the mother and to the baby. It's not huge sacrifice really . Pregnancy period is this special time when you are not by yourself anymore. You have wonderfull new creation growing under your heart that you should respect, love, take care for.

I dont think I'd let myself think about smacking pregnant woman, but give her an earfull? Most likely.
    Don't be stupid, think. Don't be selfish.
    Dammit!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    It absolutely disgusts me to see this...
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    There are some doctors that recommend heavy smokers that are pregnant NOT quit, especially if it is a high-risk pregnancy. The effects of nicotine withdrawal could be too much for the fetus to handle and she could lose the baby.

Just something to think about.

I smoked with both of my kids. My doctor did not want me to quit for this reason. He did ask me to limit it to 5 cigarrettes a day... which I complied. Neither of my kids suffered any health problems at birth. Both were a normal weight with fully developed lungs.

^^^ this was me. My daughter was 9lbs 1oz and my son was 8lbs 2oz. Big and strong and perfect. Do I wish I could have been strong enough to quit back then... of course I do. Any judgmental *kitten* on here who has never known addiction has NO IDEA.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    It's absolutely none of your business if someone chooses to smoke while pregnant. It is not your child, nor someone you actually know.

So is it none of our business if people choose to hurt children in other ways? Should I not care if somebody gets blind drunk while pregnant, or if a Father abuses his daughter or a Mother her son?

After all, let's let people do whatever they like to their children, and if their children suffer because of it, well it's too bad! It was none of our business and people should do whatever the *kitten* they like. Children clearly don't matter because they belong to the people who created them. They have no rights, no rights to be protected.

Oh, sorry I didn't realize we were taking things to the extreme. Really, if people are abusing their children, that is a completely different topic. Smoking while pregnant is NONE of your business. Everyone knows the health risks. If she chooses to continue to smoke while pregnant, that is HER prerogative.

Smoking while pregnant IS abuse! Get a clue!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    It's a tough situation for sure.

When I see that every part of me wants to tell the women how stupid they are and selfish to do that to their unborn child....

but ultimately it's their life, their right, and it's not against the law...

but I would give her the evil eye as many chances as i could...
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    the ex smoker in me wants to tell you that it's none of your business and if she's outside, as sad as it is.. it's her right..

however, the health nut in me wants you to go out there and smack her upside the head for not only damaging herself, but her unborn baby.

Having never smoked, I can not relate to quitting but ^^^ I couldn't have said this better myself...
  • n
  • It's absolutely none of your business if someone chooses to smoke while pregnant. It is not your child, nor someone you actually know.

Oh, sorry I didn't realize we were taking things to the extreme. Really, if people are abusing their children, that is a completely different topic. Smoking while pregnant is NONE of your business. Everyone knows the health risks. If she chooses to continue to smoke while pregnant, that is HER prerogative.

Smoking while pregnant IS abuse! Get a clue!

This whole topic is hilarious. If it's such an abuse, why is it not illegal? Smoking as abuse is pretty much the same as parents feeding their children unhealthy meals. Sure there are risks at both ends of the spectrum. Do you walk into a McDonald's and ream out the mothers / fathers feeding their children it? Seriously, it is NOT your business. Get over yourselves.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    my mom smoked with me and i turned out okay =D

Me too! I also smoked with my kids unfortunately. I am ashamed and wish I could have quit then. I did cut back and barely smoked, but I still did. My kids are beautiful, smart, and perfect . I now have been smoke free for 7 years. It is such a hard addiction and feel if you have not been in that situation, you have no right saying anything to anybody. Do you think she wants to harm her unborn baby? I highly doubt it.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    I've never been pregnant but my observation is it seems like the society has this idea that pregnant women are public property. I get what you're saying, and I too hate when people smoke while pregnant, but by policing their every move we start a slippery slope on what we can and cannot do to pregnant women 'for the good of the baby.' Are we going to start watching her food? Water intake? Force prenatal vitamins down her throat?

I'm a giant advocate for women's rights and for women's independence about what they can do to their bodies without any input from anyone else, and though it makes me foam at the mouth to watch them do drugs or use cigs or drink alcohol while pregnant, that belief that we have that right encompasses ALL choices women make.

OMG I agree with this. I've never been pregnant either, but it drives me crazy when people start treating pregnant women like all they are is an incubator for the unborn. Guess what she's a person who has good and bad habits from before pregnancy. Some of those behaviors are easier to quit than others.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Yeah expectant mothers should be required to live in a sterilized bubble, a transparent one so that strangers can judge them
    LOL!!
  • shendras
    shendras Posts: 46 Member
    Le sigh.

Kind of like an obese mother feeding CRAP food to her obese children.

Not exactly. The obese kids can turn their eating habits around. If a baby is born with breathing problems, or deaf, there's not much they can do to fix it.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    I realize smoking is an addiction, but are you really going to sit there and smoke while pregnant or are you going to get up and fight for your health (more importantly, babies health)?
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    just shut up and mind your own business. we need less people on this planet as it is.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    just shut up and mind your own business. we need less people on this planet as it is.

Be still my beating heart.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Le sigh.

Kind of like an obese mother feeding CRAP food to her obese children.

Not exactly. The obese kids can turn their eating habits around. If a baby is born with breathing problems, or deaf, there's not much they can do to fix it.

Lordy! Drop the deaf stuff!!! There is no indication that that had ANYTHING ANYTHING ANYTHING to do with smoking!
  • just shut up and mind your own business. we need less people on this planet as it is.

Oh so thats why preggers smoke, to kill off the baby faster