All the questions no one wants to ask.

Options

Replies

• marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If I lose all this weight, all the research says I'll probably gain it back. Will I?

Not if you make a lifestyle choice an stick to it I shouldn't think so...
    Which research?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    But I think many people see under as automatically good and over as automatically bad, and they comment that way.

This is so annoying. Really. Yeah, I have crappy days where I eat crappy and go over, but there are days when I eat crappy and am under. One is no more praiseworthy than the other. The only difference is how much of the crap I'm eating. In the end, it is still crap (I hesitate to call it food). I much prefer that people give me props for making healthy choices and dealing with my eating-related lifestyle issues, instead of congratulating me because I'm 3 calories under my limit.

I hate that too. The other day I only at like 780 cals and everyone was like good job! WTF? then yesterday all I really ate was pizza and starbursts and ended right under and everyone said, good job! WTF? The day b4 or so I had all clean, great food, lots of protein and I was over my cals by like 7. No comments.

If people ever wonder why I don't say good job-it's cuz your not doing a good job. LOL
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's not a weird question or anything but I would like an opinion on this, my skin on my face is really dry and I wanted to know if anyone has advice on how to treat it?

I drink 3-4 litres a day, I use a moisturising lotion in the mornings then olive oil in the evenings(I thought maybe it could help but it hasn't). I work in childcare and I'm outside alot with the children, don't know if this can have affect or not. The rest of my skin is soft and smooth it's just my face and I had really bad eczema growing up.
    I don't wear alot of make up and I have to wear only specific brands as previous foundations, etc have dried out my skin more so. My skin has never been as bad as it is now:/ Am I doing something wrong?
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's not a weird question or anything but I would like an opinion on this, my skin on my face is really dry and I wanted to know if anyone has advice on how to treat it?

I drink 3-4 litres a day, I use a moisturising lotion in the mornings then olive oil in the evenings(I thought maybe it could help but it hasn't). I work in childcare and I'm outside alot with the children, don't know if this can have affect or not. The rest of my skin is soft and smooth it's just my face and I had really bad eczema growing up.
    I don't wear alot of make up and I have to wear only specific brands as previous foundations, etc have dried out my skin more so. My skin has never been as bad as it is now:/ Am I doing something wrong?

i find just the opposite, my skin has been better, clearer brighter since I exercise enough to sweat each day.
  • mel_2812
    mel_2812 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hair!

My hair fall like there is no tomorrow...I'm afraid that I will be bold soon.
    Behind my ears, you can clearly see my scalp. It scares me.
    I had long, really really really thick hair and now, my hair are short, unhealthy and so thin that I can't do anything with them.
    I take supplements everyday (omega 3-6-9, multivitamins, calcium), after recommendation, I bought the Nioxin treatment. I heard and read that it was doing miracle, but after 30 days using it, I have stopped since I was loosing more hair than before.
    All of my blood tests are showing perfect results, I am not missing anything (from iron to vitamin B).
    I do everything in my power to save my hair, but I am unsuccessful.
    Yes, I do blowdry and use my flat iron every other day, but I don't think it's normal to lose that much of hair...I know a lot of people who are blow-drying and use their flatiron everyday and still, they have healthy and thick looking hair...

I guess there is nothing to respond to this really, just wanted to see around if I was the only one with this problem...
  • KateinSomerset
    KateinSomerset Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 1200 calories a day - I'm 4'10" and aged 50+ (!) and sometimes I find it difficult to achieve this amount, but strive to hit the mark. However, it makes me cross when people congratulate me for NOT eating enough calories! I just don't understand their logic. Someone please explain it to me.......

I was on here last year and a few very knowledgeable people explained that if you are under 5', MFP's recommended calorie guidelines could be too high. MFP is working with fairly broad formulas trying to service the majority of the population. Maybe you could get a better calorie goal working with the TDEE method?
  • KateinSomerset
    KateinSomerset Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 1200 calories a day - I'm 4'10" and aged 50+ (!) and sometimes I find it difficult to achieve this amount, but strive to hit the mark. However, it makes me cross when people congratulate me for NOT eating enough calories! I just don't understand their logic. Someone please explain it to me.......

I was on here last year and a few very knowledgeable people explained that if you are under 5', MFP's recommended calorie guidelines could be too high. MFP is working with fairly broad formulas trying to service the majority of the population. Maybe you could get a better calorie goal working with the TDEE method?

It would make sense that shorter people would need lower calorie intake (I mean, I can't donate blood because I don't have 8 pints in me!!). What is the TDEE method?
  • nbsambucca
    nbsambucca Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    But I think many people see under as automatically good and over as automatically bad, and they comment that way.

This is so annoying. Really. Yeah, I have crappy days where I eat crappy and go over, but there are days when I eat crappy and am under. One is no more praiseworthy than the other. The only difference is how much of the crap I'm eating. In the end, it is still crap (I hesitate to call it food). I much prefer that people give me props for making healthy choices and dealing with my eating-related lifestyle issues, instead of congratulating me because I'm 3 calories under my limit.

I hate that too. The other day I only at like 780 cals and everyone was like good job! WTF? then yesterday all I really ate was pizza and starbursts and ended right under and everyone said, good job! WTF? The day b4 or so I had all clean, great food, lots of protein and I was over my cals by like 7. No comments.

If people ever wonder why I don't say good job-it's cuz your not doing a good job. LOL

lol...i love it..starburst and pizza....ive had days like those, i ate 3 crappy meals...taco bell...soda...candy...and ate like half hte calories i was supposed to and got all kinds of praise! then I missed my mark by being over 10 cals but nailed it...and got a 'tomrrow is another day' comment!! i often dont comment on diaries because I often cant read them enough to make an intelligent comment. I find the off hte wall ones funny..and its people trying to be encouraging....i dont take it negatively :)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Hair!

I had long, really really really thick hair and now, my hair are short, unhealthy and so thin that I can't do anything with them.
    I take supplements everyday (omega 3-6-9, multivitamins, calcium), after recommendation, I bought the Nioxin treatment. I heard and read that it was doing miracle, but after 30 days using it, I have stopped since I was loosing more hair than before.
    All of my blood tests are showing perfect results, I am not missing anything (from iron to vitamin B).
    Yes, I do blowdry and use my flat iron every other day, but I don't think it's normal to lose that much of hair...I know a lot of people who are blow-drying and use their flatiron everyday and still, they have healthy and thick looking hair...

I guess there is nothing to respond to this really, just wanted to see around if I was the only one with this problem...

How's your stress levels?

My aunt used to have really thinning hair after she had my nephew just from the stress of having a child and all that came with it. Have you had any changes in your environment to give you more stress? new job, relationship issues, kids? if you have had blood work done then maybe it's something environmental?
  • mel_2812
    Options
    Hair!

How's your stress levels?

My aunt used to have really thinning hair after she had my nephew just from the stress of having a child and all that came with it. Have you had any changes in your environment to give you more stress? new job, relationship issues, kids? if you have had blood work done then maybe it's something environmental?

I'm not a stressed person at all. No change in my life...I have no kids, no change at work, I've been with my boyfriend for almost 2 yrs and everything's great...

I really don't know what's happening.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hair!

My hair is thinning as well. I have a new job that's stress free (compared to the job I had for 4 years that left me crying at least once a week), and my blood tests are normal too.
    I think some of it is probably age/hormones. I'm 45. I started with a lot of hair, so people think i'm crazy when I tell them that it's thinning, but my hair dresser sees it and I see my scalp. I'm hoping it's my blood pressure medicine, because as I lose weight and exercise more, hopefully I won't need it any more.

are you taking any medication?
  • mel_2812
    Options
    Hair!

My hair is thinning as well. I have a new job that's stress free (compared to the job I had for 4 years that left me crying at least once a week), and my blood tests are normal too.
    I think some of it is probably age/hormones. I'm 45. I started with a lot of hair, so people think i'm crazy when I tell them that it's thinning, but my hair dresser sees it and I see my scalp. I'm hoping it's my blood pressure medicine, because as I lose weight and exercise more, hopefully I won't need it any more.

Nope, no medication.
    And I'm 26, turning 27 in December.

:(
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hair!

Nope, no medication.
    And I'm 26, turning 27 in December.

:(
    My daughter is having the same issues. Her hairdresser told her to get shampoo with protein in it. I haven't any idea where you find it, maybe the salon. Anyway, that might help. They also told her to take Biotin tablets everyday also.
  • CricketLaw
    Options
    This is a suggestion for both the face and hair issue.... GOAT'S MILK SOAP!
    I kid you not (no pun intended)

We have two dairy goats and started making soap for our family a few years back. When I started using it, my lifelong eczema on my arms went away. My face is combination with some really dry areas... what I do is use a raw sugar/coconut oil scrub on my skin once a week for exfoliating, then wash everyday with the goat's milk soap. I've never had better skin!

I lost a lot of my hair about 7 years ago, and then when I started using the goat's milk soap as shampoo... my hair stopped shedding as much and has been recovering. I also use an apple cider vinegar rinse about once a week. I have kind of like a day once a week where I'll do the scrub and the vinegar rinse, and just really deep cleanse.

I think our bodies need that, because of all the toxins we are exposed to in the air and also the chemicals that are in a lot of foods.
  • JenNuma
    JenNuma Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had some hair loss, actually a lot. Everyone is different, but I took this as a sign. I started eating back more of my exercise calories and upped my protien. It really scared me. I also added a multi vitamin. You might consider having your thyroid checked.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I've also noticed that if anyone ever goes over their daily calorie limit everyone is generally really nice about it "tomorrows a new day" and comments like that. Which I actually agree with, one day doesn't count for a whole lot when we are overhauling our whole lifestyle, but if you have a day where you are way under your calorie goal you get slammed for being unhealthy and starving and all the rest... What happened to tomorrows a new day in this situation?

Agreed. :) If I eat 900 cals one day, then 2300 the next, I'm not starving, I'm cycling. Which works for me. Lol.

If I see really low calories, I look back at the last week or so. Then I might say something...
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Pink,

Make sure you are getting enough essential fats in your diet. I wasn't sure from your post if you were eating the olive oil or putting it on your face. :smile: My son has really super-dry skin and he eats 1 tsp olive every evening and it seems to help.

On another note. How tall are you? From your photo, you look very thin already. You said you were anorexic. As you know, being very underweight will affect your skin in a negative way. I am concerned that if you are anorexic, you are on a slippery slope being on any sort of calorie-counting regime. If you are over 5'3", you should be over 110 pounds.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Pink,

Make sure you are getting enough essential fats in your diet. I wasn't sure from your post if you were eating the olive oil or putting it on your face. :smile: My son has really super-dry skin and he eats 1 tsp olive every evening and it seems to help.

On another note. How tall are you? From your photo, you look very thin already. You said you were anorexic. As you know, being very underweight will affect your skin in a negative way. I am concerned that if you are anorexic, you are on a slippery slope being on any sort of calorie-counting regime. If you are over 5'3", you should be over 110 pounds.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bruising? I wonder if I'm missing something in my diet or is it possible that all this fat bouncing around causes bruises. I have bruises popping up that I have no idea where they came from. On my legs mainly. Am I missing a nutrient or is it the exercise. They don't bother me, I'm just afraid I am not getting enough of something in my diet :)
  • healthyCAL
    healthyCAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options

try eating more omega 3 fats. Think salmon nuts. Or taking a vitamin e supplement..